What would stop you from buying the Next Gen Grand Cherokee? [Archive] - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

PDA

View Full Version : What would stop you from buying the Next Gen Grand Cherokee?

jenkomagic
01-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Hi team if you own a WH, what would you want changed before you purchased the next model? Or what are you not happy with in owning a WH?

hills46
02-11-2010, 08:14 PM
I love my WH and was toying with getting a new one if they had a runout sale in the lead up to the new model. Turns out they only have black CRD Limiteds left. Hate black, and hate the wood panelling. :-(

Tardis
02-11-2010, 09:44 PM
I was hoping to buy a new Grand late next year but after hoping in the demo one at the Jambo it did'nt do anything for me so today i picked up one of the last silver WH crd,spent all afternoon driving all over the place then a couple of hours playing with the sat nav and sound system and climbing underneath to check out the running gear,what's the go with the PLASTIC bash plates,will need to make some steel ones before i take it anywere serious

Ben73
03-11-2010, 10:07 AM
I love my WH and was toying with getting a new one if they had a runout sale in the lead up to the new model. Turns out they only have black CRD Limiteds left. Hate black, and hate the wood panelling. :-(

I love black and I love the wood. But I hate CRD.

The New GC looks pretty good, but I think I will just by a WH when I can.

jzp
03-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Dealership service departments will deter me from buying a new Jeep.

Again they proved with my JK that that they do an average job on basic issues and charge a fortune for simple stuff.

God forbid they should look at something more complex.

I know it doesn't answer your question... but GRRRRRR!!!!!

drj33p
03-11-2010, 04:20 PM
What would stop me from buying a new Grand?

My old one,
We love it, great tow car with heaps of power and torque,
Top 4WD system (QD11),good range of after market stuff.

And even with the few issues thay have for the purpuse that i use it for much better value than anything eles on the road.

The only thing, i wish Jeep would make it easyer to fit larger tyres without having to cut bolts or buy different rims.

TassieTJ
03-11-2010, 07:15 PM
what would stop me ? apart from $$, I guess the independent front..

Is the hand break on wrong side still like a WH ?

Oh yea there isn't a dealer in Hobart, Tassie ;););)

dblaj
05-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Having read all that I'm surprised you've kept it for so long. Doesn't sound as though there is much you like about it. ;)

drj33p
05-11-2010, 02:43 PM
G'day Jenko,

Mate if felt like that about mine or any other thing i owned i would have just sold it and moved on.

But in saying that i speek to a lot of people with new cars and 4WDs and from what i here good luck finding something thats all the things your Jeep isn't.

Maybe i've been lucky the only major thing was the Swirl motor and that's a Merc. fault not Jeep and a Crank Angle senser,and Jeep was kind enough to supllied all the parts for the Swirl motor (and it's over a year out of warranty) as i am still fighting with Swann over that one.

But if you do find the perfect 4WD let me know and i'll grab one to.

TassieTJ
05-11-2010, 03:17 PM
The WH has an independent front end the the next model is fully independent as far as I know

Ok that another reason why I kept our WJ :p:p:p

roscoea26
05-11-2010, 08:26 PM
I've owned 2 grands a V8 and my current 07 CRD, the only issues I have had is with Jeep Australia.I have mates who have Nissans, Toyotas, Rodeos and Landrovers and as far as I'm concerned the diesel engine and the 4x4 system QII will outperform them every time. It will clean up a 200 series V8 Cruiser in a drag. So for me I would still buy a Jeep, unless I win Gold Lotto when I'll buy a Range Rover Sport and a BMW M5 for the wife and because it would be too powerful for her to drive I will get it to drive all the time.

hills46
05-11-2010, 10:35 PM
> driving position all wrong (after 5 years I still don't know where the controls are in the dark)

Agree, it's the worst left hand to right hand drive conversion I've seen. They moved the wheel and pedals and that's it.

> lack of telescopic steering wheel for reach

It's perfect for my height.

> melted lego interior

You obviously haven't driven a Nissan lately!

>poor quality of parts used (everything fails )

I've only got 120k on my WH CRD but have had nothing replaced other than turbo inlet seal (done under warranty without my asking) and have just replaced the rear brake pads through wear.

> small fuel tank

I don't call 800km range small but sure, would like a bigger tank.

> weak air conditioning

My only complaint with the aircon is frozen hands! Yours working?

>creaks and groan's

None other than ocassionally the rear nudflaps slap against the shocks over rough bumps.

> worst rear seats ever

Maybe. Don't sit in the back. I will say however that the rear seat folds flat and I can sleep in the back. The only other 4wd which I could do that in when I was shopping around was a pathfinder.

> accelerator peddle to far away from side wall

Haven't noticed, maybe I have big feet.

> park break location

See comment above about LHD to RHD conversion. Add to that buttons on wrong side of centre console, even gear labels next to the shifter are on the wrong side.

>feeling like its going to break down every time I drive it

As per comments on poor parts. Have never had an issue.

> needs more than 5 gears CRD does 2200 rpm @ 100km. 1800rpm would be nicer

Yes, when I first got it I thought "gee, it revs a lot for a car with over 500nm of torque at 1800rpm". Since upping the wheel size and thus effectively raising the gearing I get worse fuel economy, even allowing for the change in speedo calibration, (which brings me to my main gripe, they can't spell litres!) so will now admit that perhaps they knew what they doing! Talking CRD here.

> standard wheels are small compared to Prado, Pajero

True

>standard suspension too soft

True

> bonnet release location

Did I mention it's a crap LHD to RHD conversion? Though in all fairness, I only pull it when stopped anyway so what difference does it make other than it's not where I expected it to be.

> poor visibility

If you're talking about out the rear window then definitely.

> uncompetitive warranty

Agreed. And the extended warranty aint much better km wise.

> dealers use public as there R&D test mules

Don't know what that means. Might be time to change dealers. Biggest issue over west is limited choice of dealers and little chance of assistance (should one need it) outside the city.

I love my WH. Shame you haven't had a similar experience.

SNOWG
05-11-2010, 10:52 PM
And you've put up with this you say for 5 years?

Geez mate that's perseverance, did you upgrade from a P76 from new?

Jeep peaked at the WJ...!

SNOWG
06-11-2010, 06:29 AM
Regardless of post counts if you put it out their, everyones free to comment, maybe you just got a lemon, the other fellas never had a problem, weird eh?
Bit off topic but I'd like to share a story about Jeep Australias suspect working, I'm having 2 rebuilt QD diff put in at a well respected diff shop in Parra (changing from open diff to QD - not a failure), mind you I have had hardly any issues with my WJ since new, now at 150k km, except new torque convertor, and that's probably my fault, anyway they toldme in 99-2000 they where doing 9 Grands a week, to replace noisy diff bearings on brand new Grands, they said Jeep would send them over on a flat tray with a car cover over them. Don't think I saw that one as a TSB. Good they fixed them bit questionable build quality?

dblaj
06-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Regardless of post counts if you put it out their, everyones free to comment....

I agree - poor form Jenko.

If the value of people's advice and opinion was based on their post count we'd be in serious trouble.

roscoea26
06-11-2010, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't touch Jeeps Extended warranty or any extended warranty I'd rather take the risk. For just under $3,000 you could be better off paying for the repairs yourself.

The other issue is that there is a real risk of denying any claim on fair wear and tear once any vehicle has gone beyond 100,000k, particularly a 4x4.

Ben73
06-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Being poor is the main reason behind not getting the next gen GC

uneek4x4
Find out how to advertise on Ausjeep?