PDA

View Full Version : New Jeep Owner -2011 WK2

kfc
08-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Hi All,

Just put an order in on the new 2011 Grand Cherokee (WK2 as they call it in the US)

Limited V6

Options:

Quadra-Lift
Mopar Skid Plates
Mopar Side Steps

I am an ex 80s landcrusier owner and look forward to taking this offroad as well as enjoying the drive around the city, which was always a chore in the 80..

I was disapointed the quad drive 2 was only on the v8 model as I wanted that option, so will have to see how it affects it offroad and see what options they are.

I have the stock 20" rims but will be getting some 17" or 18" to equip for the offroad adventure.

any advice assistance would be great :) Should pick it up in 2 weeks.

kFc

What No Jeep
08-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Cool.

Will be keen to see what you think of it once it arrives.

briteway
08-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I'd like to hear some feedback after taking it offroad. WK2 has IFS front and rear, so tha's why I'd like to know. Sure isn't flexible at all ;)

EXLR8
08-02-2011, 09:11 PM
I would be interested in feedback, particularly the performance of the V6. We have pretty much decided we will pick up a new Grand Cherokee V6 or diesel in the next few months, we are just to decide whether to go the Laredo or Limited and V6 petrol or wait for the diesel.
Congrats on the purchase.

kfc
08-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Will certainly let you know, coming from the 80s live axel that was my biggest worry, but the trade off was the city driving experience..

Does anyone if diff locks / ox lockers able to be fitted to the wk2?

double black offroad
09-02-2011, 04:56 AM
Nearly bought one myself man, they are a very nice truck and awesome value especially when you compare it to a jk!

Marlin
09-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Congrats on the order!

No doubt the first ausjeep user to do so I'd reckon? :)

ausjeeper
09-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Will certainly let you know, coming from the 80s live axel that was my biggest worry, but the trade off was the city driving experience..

Does anyone if diff locks / ox lockers able to be fitted to the wk2?

Good on you mate. I would find out if the Quadra lift is working at high speed as well. If not, I would rather wait for an OME lift kit, (and lockers and bars) when they become available. The other very necessary piece of equipment will be sway bar disconnects. Without it there will be very little wheel travel.

The new Nissan Patrol is tested in the latest Aus 4x4 mag and it works well off road with full IS because it has hydraulic dampers (rally car style) and no sway bars. Same with the LC200 with its hydraulic sway bar disconnects (Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS)).

kfc
09-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Good on you mate. I would find out if the Quadra lift is working at high speed as well. If not, I would rather wait for an OME lift kit, (and lockers and bars) when they become available. The other very necessary piece of equipment will be sway bar disconnects. Without it there will be very little wheel travel.

Certainly will see what there is in terms of accessories, I guess it always take a few months for them to reach aus? The disconnects sound good. I like the KDDS and was seriously considering a prado but just couldnt justify the toyota tax.

I will get myself a set of offroad tyres, the dealers said they would sell me a set of the 18's but maybe 17's with MTs are a better option? I found a few pics on the web, with a few options.

The blue one has 255/75/17 BFG MT and the black one 275/65/18 BFG AT

johnv
10-02-2011, 05:23 AM
Congratulations on your purchase, make sure you buy extended factory warranty, they're expensive beasts to repair out of warranty! -

Very nice, I would like one too!

Did you or has anyone else done any research as to the impact a suspension upgrade would have on the Quadra Lift System???

dblaj
10-02-2011, 06:05 AM
[QUOTE=johnv;1164633]make sure you buy extended factory warranty,

What does an extended warranty cost and actually cover out of interest?

johnv
10-02-2011, 06:52 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong - same as what you currently have with Jeep Assist except it excludes batteries and a few minor things (wiper blades, globes etc)

I believe it is for an additional 70,000 Km 2 year.

Just waiting for them to send them my extended warranty offer over the next few months.

Cost is around $2,000 not cheap - a holed intercooler (not warranty, off road rock)cost me around $1,200 supplied and fitted 18 months ago!

Marlin
10-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Certainly will see what there is in terms of accessories, I guess it always take a few months for them to reach aus? The disconnects sound good. I like the KDDS and was seriously considering a prado but just couldnt justify the toyota tax.

I will get myself a set of offroad tyres, the dealers said they would sell me a set of the 18's but maybe 17's with MTs are a better option? I found a few pics on the web, with a few options.

The blue one has 255/75/17 BFG MT and the black one 275/65/18 BFG AT

From what I've seen on the US forums, 17's typically won't go over the brakes.

sege
10-02-2011, 11:42 AM
I am most interested how easy it is to live with the handbrake in the footwell, as in the WG at least there isn't much room there already, particularly if you are in the bush with boots on?

bbodybenny
10-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Mehhhh. i dont like it.

Looks Fabulous. But....

I can almost guarentee that same as the WK/WH there will be no accesories readily available. and seeing as it is 5 star rated, that clearly means to me that the car is designed for onroad safety, not for the offroad. The plastics come right down to the bottom of the front wheel, (How long will they last)
and same at the back.

If Jeep is serious about the GC, i believe that they should release the model with a series of off road mods available for it.
I.e a decent lift kit that works, and a bullbar (NO NUDGE BARS) and spare wheel carrier for the rear.
Again. Looks wicked, looks fabulous, looks awesome.
But its never going to be a serious 4wd.
I am so impressed with my Hemi 09 WK. I love it as a family wagon, but do you think i can get accesories that i like? i wont buy another as a 4wd tourer.

sege
10-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Mehhhh. i dont like it.

Looks Fabulous. But....

I can almost guarentee that same as the WK/WH there will be no accesories readily available. and seeing as it is 5 star rated, that clearly means to me that the car is designed for onroad safety, not for the offroad. The plastics come right down to the bottom of the front wheel, (How long will they last)
and same at the back.

If Jeep is serious about the GC, i believe that they should release the model with a series of off road mods available for it.
I.e a decent lift kit that works, and a bullbar (NO NUDGE BARS) and spare wheel carrier for the rear.
I am so impressed with my Hemi 09 WK. I love it as a family wagon, but do you think i can get accesories that i like? i wont buy another as a 4wd tourer.

I don't know, my WG 4.7 has been a great tourer bought new in 2001 and the only mods are OME 2" lift (new model won't need with air suspension), driving lights (maybe not needed with HID headlights) and a roof cage (will still need this for spare but probably not for jerry cans any longer with larger tank). Haven't needed a Bullbar yet on any vehicle. I personally think a lot of accessorisation is simply "He who has the most toys" syndrome.

Just my 2 Bob's

jzp
10-02-2011, 07:09 PM
I really want a new toy, but I think I'll wait for the second series to come out before I consider a WK...

It's ALWAYS the first series that has the teething problems and you are ALWAYS fighting the dealership for supposedly 'unknown' problems.

Look at the crap we go through with the JK's now.... and most of the bugs are ironed out!

johnv
11-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Looks Fabulous. But....

I am so impressed with my Hemi 09 WK. I love it as a family wagon, but do you think i can get accesories that i like? (part quote)

Hear Hear !!!!!

I have stated many times in this Forum, Jeep should have addressed this years ago and have the aftermarket parts available for common mods AND THEY WOULD MAKE HEAPS OF MONEY FROM IT!

I have similarly spent many, many hours chasing upgrades for my vehicle, other manufacturers have these items readily available.

These include cargo barriers, roofracks, bullbars, snorkels etc.

No my vehicle is not a "lair's truck" it is a sane tourer that is a brilliant tow vehicle, I have many friends who contribute to this website who have similar setups!

bikemat
11-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Mehhhh. i dont like it.

Looks Fabulous. But....

and same at the back.

how does a 5 star safety rating mean it's not designed for off-roading??? I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. To get that rating you just have to have good cabin strength, lots of airbags, seatbelt pre-tensioners, stability control etc - nothing that I can see reducing off-roadability.
As for the lift kit: isn't that what the quadra-lift is all about? I don't know of any other 4wd company that offers aftermarket lift kits either.
Are plastics around the bottom of the front wheel actually a bad thing? They're a hell of a lot cheaper to replace and more forgiving than metal!!
Never going to be a serious 4wd? True. That's what a JK's for. However if you want to go touring, up the beach, do some fun 4wding (but not rock-crawling) in luxurious, stylish comfort, then drive round the city in that same comfort - great car. And I'm fairly certain that's what Jeep had in mind with their design brief.

dblaj
11-02-2011, 06:47 PM
I have stated many times in this Forum, Jeep should have addressed this years ago and have the aftermarket parts available for common mods AND THEY WOULD MAKE HEAPS OF MONEY FROM IT!

I would put my 2 bob on it that the bean counters at Jeep would have an#lysed it and know that there is no money to be made.

You'll need to buy a vehicle that sells worldwide in huge volume if you want all the add on accessories available in my opinion.

Interesting to read a write up from a Journo that drove them in Tassie - Quote - "characteristically soft, wallowing feel designed to suit the tastes of the American market."

PS Johnv - all the typing in colour may be fun but it's harder to read.

sege
12-02-2011, 10:19 AM
The WGII (2011 Grand) website

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2menu.htm

briteway
13-02-2011, 05:04 AM
The WGII (2011 Grand) website

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2menu.htm

Impressive!! Looks good in and out.

I also like how the rear seats can recline and looks like the leather quality is that of the WG's. IMO, WG's leather seats are more comfortable than WH's.

I don't know how good it is offroad considering independent suspension all around.

sege
13-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Impressive!! Looks good in and out.

I also like how the rear seats can recline and looks like the leather quality is that of the WG's. IMO, WG's leather seats are more comfortable than WH's.

I don't know how good it is offroad considering independent suspension all around.

I was thinking I would wait for the Diesel but heck I'm not a pensioner yet. Judging by your avatar you know, how is the Hemi Offroad/Touring?8-)

andyperth
13-02-2011, 12:15 PM
The front skirt my be a problem off road? I looked at one in the dealers I like them alot.

sege
13-02-2011, 12:52 PM
The front skirt my be a problem off road? I looked at one in the dealers I like them alot.

I am pretty sure its removeable

briteway
13-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Judging by your avatar you know, how is the Hemi Offroad/Touring?8-)

Where do I start?

As stock, bear in mind it's a bit lower than the WG's (around 1 inch at the diff and 1.5 at the crossmember).

Depending on what type of 4WDriving is to be done. If touring, including gravel, sand and desert corrugations, it's good the way it is.

If there are ruts and mud, then, if you have side steps, remove them and also unclip the bottom part of the front bumper. If it's like that and doing medium to light ruts and mud, it is performing well. Hey, with 5.7L and over 500 Nm of torque, you can't get stuck considering the new Quadradrive II, mate, this beast pulls.

I'm not a serious 4WD person but for what I do on the weekends and then wife using it weekdays (kids, shopping and that), can't be better. I basically travel everywhere (in Australian states) during holidays and try to drive through bushes (including deserts) more often than highways. :D

sege
13-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Sounds spot on, and then if you add the air suspension...... As an aside how many kms do you get out of a tank touring?

What No Jeep
13-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Ahh but its not like our old WH Quadradrive, as the new one only had a rear ELSD, not front and rear like the previous model.

briteway
14-02-2011, 07:44 AM
As an aside how many kms do you get out of a tank touring?

That's the only complaint I have.

Touring highways = 400-450km per tank (around 17L/100km)
Touring bush and/or city driving = 300-350km per tank (around 23L/100km)

I know the figures look steep. It should be around 15L/100km and 18L/100km respectively.

I have to do a major service and tune (new spark plugs, etc.) and see what happens after. If the fuel economy doesn't improve much, then I'll have to investigate and see if the MDS works properly or if any "sensor" is playing up (O2, CKP, IAT & MAP). All of these can affect the fuel economy and I don't think that my mechanic ever suggested or replaced these.

briteway
14-02-2011, 07:47 AM
Ahh but its not like our old WH Quadradrive, as the new one only had a rear ELSD, not front and rear like the previous model.

Oh no! I didn't know that. Seeing it had the QDII, I assumed it would have the same setup of locking front & rear diffs. It seems like it will be less capable (offroad) than ours then, especially with the missing LSD and independents all around.

johnv
14-02-2011, 08:36 AM
I was thinking I would wait for the Diesel but heck I'm not a pensioner yet. Judging by your avatar you know, how is the Hemi Offroad/Touring?8-)

You too could be so lucky as to be a grey nomad, or is that crazy nomad, like me, then you would need a Diesel?:rolleyes:

But yes if you don't need a diesel.:lol:

Seriously, they are the best and most economical tow vehicle, I read (petrol) fuel consumption rates in this thread and was horrified, my CRD gets 18.5 L/100 Km towing a 2800 Kg caravan (loaded) and I think that is quite reasonable, relative to what other vehicle brands with similar towing capacities get from their rigs.

Lets hope that the new model has some aftermarket products available very soon, because as a "stockie" they lack the stability for serious towing and that applies to most 4WD vehicles, with primary design function being highway comfort.

sege
14-02-2011, 09:14 AM

I know the figures look steep. It should be around 15L/100km and 18L/100km respectively.

I have to do a major service and tune (new spark plugs, etc.) and see what happens after. If the fuel economy doesn't improve much, then I'll have to investigate and see if the MDS works properly or if any "sensor" is playing up (O2, CKP, IAT & MAP). All of these can affect the fuel economy and I don't think that my mechanic ever suggested or replaced these.

Not flash but not much worse than my 4.7 over my 10 years of ownership. My highway figures are slightly better, at best getting 550k per tank (78l).

Marlin
14-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Mopar has a bunch of stiff available, but as per, you'd be better off importing yourself.
Here's a guy's how-to on installing WK2 Mopar rock rails;

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=18429

The "QDII" that they call it doesn't have the front E-Lsd of WK1 as you've ascertained, but instead uses a rear E-Lsd and the front is brake based TC. We have a hour long chat with the ACTUAL engineers responsible for developing the new platform and they guaruntee the WK2 outperforms the WK off-road. A big call given the lack of travel but they swear its true.

The entire driveline save the gearbox is all new. Most guys are reporting they're really quite good off-road (esp with the air suspension), though no -one is yet to mod hard core.

kfc
14-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Mopar has a bunch of stiff available, but as per, you'd be better off importing yourself.
Here's a guy's how-to on installing WK2 Mopar rock rails;

Yep, I am getting the rock rails, and under body skid plates installed on my limited. They were available as part of the factory accessories.

You can also get extra tire pressure monitors to install on your new set as well.

kfc
14-02-2011, 11:22 AM

Yes this is removable (apparently easily) and in the brochures actually quotes approach and departure angles with it on or off.

Marlin
14-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Good stuff :)

I'm 95% sure I'll be getting a new one too.

I'm uncertain whther to opt for another 5.7, or await the new diesel. The Hemi is proven, the diesel, hmmm, it's not.

I tow a car trailer quite a lot, so the V6 petrol isn't for me.

The hemi has been awesome, is quick, sounds fantastic, is a 'sportier" drive than a diesel, but likes a drink. Highway it's fine, but around town very short trips like I do, not so flash.

The value for money aquation with the new model is outstanding, particularly Laredo, though I'm keen on an Overland, a spec we've not had here, and is absolutely loaded with kit, although as you can see with the price structure, is a BIG ask (though, not really in comparison with the "old" model)

Laredo $45k
Limited $55k
Overland $70k

What No Jeep
15-02-2011, 02:08 PM

Wow, :0= I guess you've never seen this then.

briteway
15-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Wow, :0= I guess you've never seen this then.

Mate, I nearly fell of me feet seeing that :eek: and thought 'how the heck can he get so much out of his HEMI?' :D

Then I realised and saw that you have a CRD. Whew! For a moment I thought I was really getting done by these mechanics (probably still am, hahaha).

Ballypinball
15-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Hi All,

Just put an order in on the new 2011 Grand Cherokee (WK2 as they call it in the US)

Limited V6

Options:

Quadra-Lift
Mopar Skid Plates
Mopar Side Steps

I am an ex 80s landcrusier owner and look forward to taking this offroad as well as enjoying the drive around the city, which was always a chore in the 80..

I was disapointed the quad drive 2 was only on the v8 model as I wanted that option, so will have to see how it affects it offroad and see what options they are.

I have the stock 20" rims but will be getting some 17" or 18" to equip for the offroad adventure.

kFc

you will be lucky to pickup in 2 weeks

as jeep are not importing cars with off road adventure kit unless ordered, so 4-6 weeks on an ordered car

kfc
15-02-2011, 09:56 PM
you will be lucky to pickup in 2 weeks

as jeep are not importing cars with off road adventure kit unless ordered, so 4-6 weeks on an ordered car

Its already arrived, got a call from the dealer today :) Just waiting on my lease to be processed.

I cant get off-road adventure with a v6, so I have ordered the skid-plates and mopar side steps as accessories and that will come in shortly.

Marlin
16-02-2011, 07:50 AM
I saw my dealer yesterday, and crawled over a couple he had in the lot.

I'm dissappointed that Overland's won't be available until at least mid year.

Also suprised you can't get Off-Road pack with a Laredo. If you're going to beat on one, most would chose a Laredo wouldn't they?

sege
16-02-2011, 08:52 AM

Also suprised you can't get Off-Road pack with a Laredo. If you're going to beat on one, most would chose a Laredo wouldn't they?

You've gotta love the marketing gurus and accountants ......

kfc
16-02-2011, 08:52 AM

The off-road pack includes the following

1.Fuel tank, transfer case, underbody and front suspension skid plates.
2.265/60 R18 BSW All-terrain tyres,
3.18 x 8-inch polished aluminium wheels
4.Quadra-DriveŽ II4WD system, rear Electronic Limited Slip Differential (ELSD)

You can get 1,2,3 with all models as accessories, however 4 is only available on the v8 variants.

I am getting it with my v6 limited along with the mopar rock rails.

Marlin
16-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Sorry, my mistanke. I meant to say I found it suprising that QDII wasn't avail on Laredo.

kfc
16-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Sorry, my mistanke. I meant to say I found it suprising that QDII wasn't avail on Laredo.

Ah yes, I was very disappointed that it wasn't there too, so I guess I will have to go after market, I am not even sure if diff locks would work with the QT1 and 2?

Marlin
16-02-2011, 02:17 PM
You may not need them, depending on what type of tracks you tackle? The QT2 still has traction control based wheel speed control, so, if it's smooth and fast in its operation, you might get away with it!

Given the diffs are based on Mercedes units, I'd be suprised if lockers will be made available.

SNOWG
17-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Anyone know why the towing capacity is less for the 4x4 then the 4x2?

"10. Towing capacity

When properly equipped, the all-new Jeep Grand Cherokee can tow up to 5,000 pounds on V6 models and 7,400-lbs on V8 4x2 models (7,200-lbs on V8 4x4 models). "

sege
17-02-2011, 10:04 AM
I read in the Feb 2011 Overlander 4wd magazine "A generous 93.5 litre fuel capacity is made even more attractive by the fact that under the rear of the vehicle is a huge space that almost looks purpose made to take an additional fuel tank"

Let's hope one of the aftermarket mobs will take the initiative sooner rather than later on this one. I am sure the snorkel saga will not improve with the new model though.

Marlin
17-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Anyone know why the towing capacity is less for the 4x4 then the 4x2?

"10. Towing capacity

When properly equipped, the all-new Jeep Grand Cherokee can tow up to 5,000 pounds on V6 models and 7,400-lbs on V8 4x2 models (7,200-lbs on V8 4x4 models). "

It's been discussed elsewhere, and confirmed in the engineer chat, that its due to the "all up" weight of the vehicle. 4x4 is simply a bit heavier itself, slightly reducing the towing capacity.

CRDSTU
19-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Congrats on the purchase they're an amazing vehicle on and off road for stock.

I'm itching to buy one myself but will restrain until the CRD Laredo becomes available. Laredo spec is awesome value for money on the road. I'll be getting a coil sprung one for sure - 3" lift here we come :)

Oh and I tried fitting a 17" AEV Pintler on one the other day but there is almost no gap between the caliper and wheel. It needs more offset for 17"s but then that puts the tyre and rim outside the edge of the guard too much.

I'm about to do one up for a dealership here in Brisbane. I'll post some pics when I'm done with it. I maybe also using it on my display stand at the April 4x4 Show here in Brisbane at the RNA show grounds. I'll have 3 Jeeps on Display incl the Brute

Chumby
20-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Be great to see the pics Stu,

Cheers
Chumby

pmac
20-02-2011, 07:59 PM
It's been discussed elsewhere, and confirmed in the engineer chat, that its due to the "all up" weight of the vehicle. 4x4 is simply a bit heavier itself, slightly reducing the towing capacity.

That doesn't make sense. By that reckoning, a Nissan Micra would be allowed to
tow more than a Patrol.

I thought the heavier the vehicle, the more it was allowed to tow!

sege
21-02-2011, 05:30 AM
That doesn't make sense. By that reckoning, a Nissan Micra would be allowed to
tow more than a Patrol.

I thought the heavier the vehicle, the more it was allowed to tow!

Yes, but within the specified safety Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) allowed for a specific vehicle. Made up of tare weight, fuel, passengers etc. That is why I think the current Diesel Prado or maybe V8 Diesel cruiser doesn't have the reserve fuel tank and 7 seats as it would exceed the GVM.

Aus Patriot
21-02-2011, 12:24 PM
We looked at one on the weekend as had an invite from the stealer.
The 1st thing that jumped into my mind is how freaking low is it?

Also those stupid front mud flaps are about 1.5-2inches from the ground if that.

There was an mk sitting next to it and I swear the Patriot had more ground clearance from it. But I suppose that's not true when looking at the figures in black and white.

It looked very strange this one.

sege
21-02-2011, 12:50 PM
We looked at one on the weekend as had an invite from the stealer.
The 1st thing that jumped into my mind is how freaking low is it?

Also those stupid front mud flaps are about 1.5-2inches from the ground if that.

There was an mk sitting next to it and I swear the Patriot had more ground clearance from it. But I suppose that's not true when looking at the figures in black and white.

It looked very strange this one.

Did that have the air suspension set on the lowest park position maybe??

Aus Patriot
21-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Good question mate.

Sorry do not know that.

Is the air suspension standard on these beasts?
This was a Laredo.

sege
21-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Good question mate.

Sorry do not know that.

This was a Laredo.

No but if it was a Stealer demo it probably was fully optioned....

kfc
21-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Good question mate.

Sorry do not know that.

This was a Laredo.

Its not standard, but where I got mine the Laredo fully optioned with quadra-lift. I get mine delivered any day now, they are just installing the side steps and skid plates.

sege
23-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Diesel details from the Milan motor show:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1055689_official-jeep-grand-cherokee-to-get-new-diesel-at-geneva-motor-show/page-1

EXLR8
23-02-2011, 08:36 PM

http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1055689_official-jeep-grand-cherokee-to-get-new-diesel-at-geneva-motor-show/page-1

I am rather concerned it looks like the Laredo may only get a low output version of the diesel. :(

kfc
23-02-2011, 08:42 PM
I was talking to the dealer today seeing the progress of my car, my sidesteps are on they are just waiting on 2 skid plates to arrive, he mentioned that they have been told that the future limited models would no longer have the option of quadra lift and that would solely now be in the overland. Hopefully I get mine tomorrow.

Marlin
24-02-2011, 07:53 AM
What???! "no longer have the option"..... why? Whoever makes these decisions is a cockhead! lol

kfc
24-02-2011, 08:34 AM
What???! "no longer have the option"..... why? Whoever makes these decisions is a cockhead! lol
Yeah as I said, this is just what the dealer said based on what they have told him he can order. Would be interested to know if other dealers are being told the same.

Marlin
24-02-2011, 11:08 AM
My thinking is they've manufacturer a "run" ok them for Aussie consumption, gambling on what people would order, and they misjudged and see them being stuck with a few in a shitty spec.

ie, I doubt very much that you place a special order and they make it. (unlike the US where thats exactly what happens)

kfc
24-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Ok So I have got delivery of the truck today minus the bash plates which havent arrived yet, I will get them fitted on my first service. I also ordered 5 air pressure valves for the set of off-road tyres that I intend to get.

I have been trying to learn the systems, this is one high tech machine! Sports mode feel really nice to drive in, throttle is good and its more aerodynamic and it seems more stable round corners, perhaps due to it being lower to the ground.

The onboard computer is great, and the amount of customisation options are great, eg. door locks when you drive after 30 secs, turn on interior lights when I approach, open my drivers door when I stop etc...

Let me know if you have any questions and I will see if I can answer them.

EXLR8
26-02-2011, 07:24 PM
How is the new truck going kfc? Are you still happy with your purchase now that you've had a few days to settle in?
I just also wanted to add I finally made my way down to the Jeep dealer this morning to take the new Grand Cherokee for a test drive.
First I drove a Laredo V6. This has more than enough bells and whistles for us, even the "basic" 6 speaker sound system was better than expected. However, what didn't quite do it for us was the V6. Like said many times on the net, it is "adequate" (for someone who is used to say Mazda 3 performance or maybe a little more). My wife's words were "I want to feel like I have upgraded from Corolla performance, with this (V6) I don't".
So with that we took the Limited V8 for a spin. My wife's words after a few hundred metres in it "this is fantastic". I agreed. I also moved this one to Sport mode (the air suspension lowered) and I tried a few twisties. Very impressed for 2300kg of 4WD.
So if they made a Laredo V8 available, that would be it. As they don't, we would have to buy the bits on the Limited we don't need just to get the Hemi. An extra $15K, is it worth it... or maybe we wait to try the diesel... Hmmm :???:

kfc
26-02-2011, 07:40 PM
How is the new truck going kfc? Are you still happy with your purchase now that you've had a few days to settle in?
I just also wanted to add I finally made my way down to the Jeep dealer this morning to take the new Grand Cherokee for a test drive.
First I drove a Laredo V6. This has more than enough bells and whistles for us, even the "basic" 6 speaker sound system was better than expected. However, what didn't quite do it for us was the V6. Like said many times on the net, it is "adequate" (for someone who is used to say Mazda 3 performance or maybe a little more). My wife's words were "I want to feel like I have upgraded from Corolla performance, with this (V6) I don't".
So with that we took the Limited V8 for a spin. My wife's words after a few hundred metres in it "this is fantastic". I agreed. I also moved this one to Sport mode (the air suspension lowered) and I tried a few twisties. Very impressed for 2300kg of 4WD.
So if they made a Laredo V8 available, that would be it. As they don't, we would have to buy the bits on the Limited we don't need just to get the Hemi. An extra $15K, is it worth it... or maybe we wait to try the diesel... Hmmm :???:

Yes still extremely happy, I drive around in sports mode which seems to give the v6 much more punch, driving at 100 i can put my foot down and boom, overtaking is quite easy and I dont feel that I am lacking an acceleration at all. I have had many performance cars in the past and I suspect if you wanted anything more something like a mopar cold air intake and an ecu remap would give you what you are looking for in a v6. With the constant torque curve the acceleration at higher speeds to me is much more noticeable and punchy.

PS my other car is a VW Golf GTI which has acceleration of 0-60 at a tad over 6secs, whilst the Jeep doesn't push me back in my seat its no slow work horse like my 80s diesel :) Drive one of those and this Jeep is a sports car.

I suspect my criteria is slightly different to yours as well, the problem with my 80s was it was very uncomfortable getting from destination to destination, so I wanted something that was capable offroad with the comfort and luxury to get me to the destination. I have found, if I want to drive a fast then can I drive my sports car, after 2 days in the Jeep my GTI is gathering dust, and I suspect I will put it on the market soon. Yes the Jeep is that good, the smarts, luxury and comfort outweigh the my sports car needs.

EXLR8
26-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Good to hear kfc. I have a Focus XR5 which we will be keeping, so I have a similar experience/expectation.
What we did not try was sports mode on the V6. Perhaps I need to go back and try this if it makes a noticeable difference.
Thanks for the feedback.

kfc
26-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Good to hear kfc. I have a Focus XR5 which we will be keeping, so I have a similar experience/expectation.
What we did not try was sports mode on the V6. Perhaps I need to go back and try this if it makes a noticeable difference.
Thanks for the feedback.

Ah great :) Did the one you test drove also have QL? That also seems to make a difference by lowering the center of gravity and dipping the front slightly giving it a more "sporty" feel

Try some acceleration when you are already at freeway speeds too.

Edit: Looking at sports mode a bit more in my reading it also changes the bias and directs 80% of the torque to the rear wheels

EXLR8
26-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Ah great :) Did the one you test drove also have QL? That also seems to make a difference by lowering the center of gravity and dipping the front slightly giving it a more "sporty" feel.

Try some acceleration when you are already at freeway speeds too.

The Laredo was not fitted with QL, the Limited V8 was.
I did give the Laredo a try on the 100km/h freeway in Auto mode, we were a little underwhelmed. I think I need to try this in Sport mode. :)

kfc
26-02-2011, 08:57 PM
The Laredo was not fitted with QL, the Limited V8 was.
I did give the Laredo a try on the 100km/h freeway in Auto mode, we were a little underwhelmed. I think I need to try this in Sport mode. :)

Cool cool, I edited my previous post, I did a bit more reading and sports mode directs 80% of the torque to the rear instead of the 60/40 split hopefully that will be the difference that you feel, if not then im just biased :) QL lowering also stiffens the suspension, not directly but due to it having a lower center of gravity there is less body roll.

Oh also one that that took me a bit longer to get used to was breaking, I am sure you XR5 you could break on a dime, you feel the weight in this and I am still getting used to it.

salesguy
27-02-2011, 02:32 PM

Bewdy !

It appears from the details in this article that the cams are chain-driven and there's no mention of the need for AdBlue to meet Euro V emissions.

That's two definite benefits compared to some other diesels on the market.

kfc
02-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Had it for a week now, and almost done 500km, yep I have been doing lots of driving.

So far touch wood, there have been no problems. Its currently running at 11.8/100 which isn't too bad considering it is an engine yet to be broken in and I am probably driving it a bit more aggressively than normal. I run in sports mode more often than not.

I have also been hunting from after market 18" offroad rims and finding some with the required 56mm offset has been super hard, I have a dealer working on this for me now. There is also a 6 week lead time if I just want to order the Mopar offroad rims directly from Jeep

The front and rear sensors make owning a 4wd effortless in tight places, it enables me to maneuver in and out of tight spots that I would have had trouble in before.

The voice recognition has had no problems picking up the aussie accent, I did train it eventually but before that It was still 100%.

I am still very happy with the v6 engine, I haven't been stuck on my feet yet, something my 80s diesel constantly did with acceleration or overtaking.

Visibility is excellent, the aircon is great too, in perth after a 38 degree day it normally takes at least 5 mins before the cool air comes though, with this it seems like its instant, I know how is that possible?

Marlin
03-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Might be worth talking to Peter at just for jeeps in the US about getting the factory 18" off road rims? Strong dollar of course might dodge the Jeep Aus tax.

(For instance, WH power steer pump in Oz, $397 and a 6 week wait. .... Just for Jeeps, $75, and $30 freight and here in 5 days!)

sege
03-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Might be worth talking to Peter at just for jeeps in the US about getting the factory 18" off road rims? Strong dollar of course might dodge the Jeep Aus tax.

(For instance, WH power steer pump in Oz, $397 and a 6 week wait. .... Just for Jeeps, $75, and $30 freight and here in 5 days!)

....... and they wonder why we shop on the internet! LOL:hammer:

briteway
05-03-2011, 05:37 AM
....... and they wonder why we shop on the internet! LOL:hammer:

Yeah, I bought an EGR valve around $70 delivered from the US and here they're around $250, I've even seen some ridiculous prices like around $700. It's a joke, at least you'd expect them to change it for ya as well, which I would still think it's a rip off.

jdmagoo
09-03-2011, 04:19 PM
A couple of questions if I may,

For those that have the 5.7lt HEMI how many Lt/ 100km are you obtaining?

Also, in the 2011 model jeep there is plenty of room under the back of the car which would be perfect for a long range tank or an LPG tank. Does anybody know what size LPG tank could fit under there? And speaking of LPG conversion, is there any issues converting the 2011 HEMI to LPG? Factory warranty might be an issue, also how does LPG effect the MDS system

Considering purchasing an overland HEMI then converting it to LPG instead of purchasing the diesel mid year, what do you guys think of that?

Cheers

James

briteway
09-03-2011, 05:43 PM
For those that have the 5.7lt HEMI how many Lt/ 100km are you obtaing.

I was getting around 25-27L/100 km (city driving).

Last weekend I've performed a major service and replaced a few parts that could affect fuel economy and prior to that cleaned the throttle body and now I'm getting around 22L/100 km (city driving) but I have yet to replace the MAP sensor and will see how it goes after that.

EXLR8
09-03-2011, 07:33 PM
A couple of questions if I may,

For those that have the 5.7lt HEMI how many Lt/ 100km are you obtaining?

Also, in the 2011 model jeep there is plenty of room under the back of the car which would be perfect for a long range tank or an LPG tank. Does anybody know what size LPG tank could fit under there? And speaking of LPG conversion, is there any issues converting the 2011 HEMI to LPG? Factory warranty might be an issue, also how does LPG effect the MDS system

Considering purchasing an overland HEMI then converting it to LPG instead of purchasing the diesel mid year, what do you guys think of that?

Cheers

James

Personally if the economy of the Hemi was a concern, I'd wait for the diesel, no question. Not only will you have the added expense of LPG conversion, mounting the LPG tank, but also as you mention some potential warranty and MDS issues. In addition, I assume diesel is much easier to source than LPG if you take it out of town. Will using a Hemi powered LPG actually be cheaper than the diesel?

Just my 2c.

jdmagoo
09-03-2011, 08:43 PM
I'm thinking from my quick calculations and depending on the size LPG tank that the running costs will either be the same or a bit better with the LPG conversion.
For example, having owned the 2006 WH diesel for close to 5 years I have found that the servicing intervals and costs are greater than the petrol, also the dearlership have told me the diesel will $3000 dearer than the v8 ( will have to wait on that one) if this is the case then this will offset the cost of lpg conversion.

Therefore my thinking at the moment is that the savings gained from purchasing the v8 over diesel will offset the lpg conversion, and if I can fit an LPG tank with 100lt capacity, and the savings gained from the lower servicing costs and greater intervals I should be either ahead or even when compared to the running costs of the diesel.

EXLR8
09-03-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm thinking from my quick calculations and depending on the size LPG tank that the running costs will either be the same or a bit better with the LPG conversion.
For example, having owned the 2006 WH diesel for close to 5 years I have found that the servicing intervals and costs are greater than the petrol, also the dearlership have told me the diesel will $3000 dearer than the v8 ( will have to wait on that one) if this is the case then this will offset the cost of lpg conversion.

Therefore my thinking at the moment is that the savings gained from purchasing the v8 over diesel will offset the lpg conversion, and if I can fit an LPG tank with 100lt capacity, and the savings gained from the lower servicing costs and greater intervals I should be either ahead or even when compared to the running costs of the diesel.

Wow, that dealer suggested the diesel will be $8K more than the petrol V6? I've had 3 dealers suggest around the same as the V8 ($5K over petrol V6) which I can comprehend, I cannot comprehend $8K though.
If that is the case, Hemi it is. We will just have to wait and see...

Marlin
10-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Yes, interesting times ahead.
I've run a hemi for the past 4 years, and it's been extremely reliable, heavy on juice around town, mainly as I do very short commutes to work and the engine is nearly always in cold-start mode.
I use about 22l/100 during my week, but if my girlfriend uses it on her cross-Brisbane commute, she gets 16l/100. She doesn't use the Hemi like I do, she says "people look at me" if she uses the throttle :)
Highway I've found 13.5l/100 is realistic, and 18.5l/100 when towing a car trailer weiging about 2.5 tonne.

Going forward, my biggest concern is what to choose next. I need the towing capacity of the hemi or the yet-to-be-proven diesel.
I keep my vehicles beyond the warranty period, and the Hemi driveline is well proven. The new diesel however, not so. I'm frightened of the potential failures post-warranty.
Secondly, I'd also miss the instant response and revability of the hemi.

Tough decisions ahead!

I was keen on waiting for the new 8-speed gearbox, but the latest news is that we won't expect to se that now until 2014.... that's half a lifetime away!

If I could buy a white or bright silver Hemi Overland today.... I'd be sorely tempted.

jewel
10-03-2011, 01:31 PM
I have been advised by my local dealer that all of the first shipment (1200) have been sold except for a few dealer demos. If this is the case why has only one owner posted on this forum?.What are the thoughts of the forum?. He also said now more stock till May, and diesel in June at a $5k premium. I am in the market for a limited diesel it may be salesman talk.

EXLR8
10-03-2011, 02:35 PM
I have been advised by my local dealer that all of the first shipment (1200) have been sold except for a few dealer demos. If this is the case why has only one owner posted on this forum?.What are the thoughts of the forum?. He also said now more stock till May, and diesel in June at a $5k premium. I am in the market for a limited diesel it may be salesman talk.
Perhaps they could be referring to all 1200 have been allocated to dealers, however that does not mean they are sold to customers. Could be wrong as 1200 is not that many in the scheme of things.
I waited 6 months for my XR5 so May is only just a matter of weeks in my view. :)

Marlin
10-03-2011, 03:06 PM
My dealer has a couple unsold on the floor, though they are selling hot.
When I visited a couple of saturdays ago they were delivering two Laredos.

I'll be letting the initial surge die down before attempting to do a deal, I'm certainly not willing to pay retail on one... plus, I want to wait for an Overland, and I'll be considering diesel. I'm also watching closely the price on the new SRT8, due in the US around May. If it's not ridiculously priced like the WH version, AND has some mild off road ability, that could be a bit of me.

We already know the new SRT is a lot more usefull, can tow now for one, and we just heard today via internal leak that it IS fitted with an electronic locking rear diff.
So, if it's not stupid low (air suspended), has a decent diff...... could it possibly have low range too?

EXLR8
10-03-2011, 07:25 PM
I am most interested how easy it is to live with the handbrake in the footwell, as in the WG at least there isn't much room there already, particularly if you are in the bush with boots on?
I find you end up resting your foot on the floor in front of the park brake. I don't think you could fit a foot between that and the other brake pedal.
Not the best place in an accident though.

Plak40
11-03-2011, 03:43 PM
I ordered my Grand Jeep Cherokee 2 and a half weeks ago. I am told it will either be here April/May. But after reading the posts here, I expect it will more likely be May.

So at least you will have two members here with a WK. ;)

sege
11-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Yes, interesting times ahead.
...... Going forward, my biggest concern is what to choose next. I need the towing capacity of the hemi or the yet-to-be-proven diesel.
I keep my vehicles beyond the warranty period, and the Hemi driveline is well proven. The new diesel however, not so. I'm frightened of the potential failures post-warranty.
Secondly, I'd also miss the instant response and revability of the hemi.

Tough decisions ahead!

I was keen on waiting for the new 8-speed gearbox, but the latest news is that we won't expect to se that now until 2014.... that's half a lifetime away!

If I could buy a white or bright silver Hemi Overland today.... I'd be sorely tempted.

Largely my thoughts plus if there is the room at back I would go a Long range fuel tank for touring as in the bush getting LPG is as rare as Rockinghorse S***. But I hear the Hemi is assembled in Mexico. Mmmmm!

AJ
11-03-2011, 06:10 PM
I ordered my Grand Jeep Cherokee 2 and a half weeks ago. I am told it will either be here April/May. But after reading the posts here, I expect it will more likely be May.

So at least you will have two members here with a WK. ;)

Congrats, what model did you order?

Plak40
11-03-2011, 06:13 PM
A new WK Grand Cherokee Limited. Stone white with Black interior. Will be getting side steps and a nudge bar - later though.

It also has Quadra Lift. :D

Ballypinball
11-03-2011, 07:39 PM
A new WK Grand Cherokee Limited. Stone white with Black interior. Will be getting side steps and a nudge bar - later though.

you can't have a nudge bar if the vehicle has front parking sensors

deserthucker
11-03-2011, 10:43 PM

i could not agree with you more.
I have a 2003 2.7L d found the same thing.
after test driving the Hemi I fell in love with it.

The diesel has been a great engine, but waiting 3 months for a water pump, it sucks.
At least with the hemi parts are easyer to sorce here or the US.

Plak40
12-03-2011, 05:25 AM
Are you telling me you can't have a nudge bar on Jeeps with front sensors...or does this apply to any 4wd???

dblaj
12-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Put anything in front of a sensor and it will sense it.

I don't know if the electronics are smart enough to let you disable two sensors or ??? if you would need to disable all front sensors.

Plak40
12-03-2011, 12:05 PM
I had a Landrover Discovery HSE with front sensors and a nudge bar -worked fine.:o

My understanding is you can get a nudge bar fitted that won't upset the sensors - depends on how it is fitted.

deserthucker
12-03-2011, 12:31 PM
if the nudge bar is close to the bumper and between the sensors it would not be detected providing it is far enough from the sides of the sensors

Ballypinball
12-03-2011, 08:13 PM
if the nudge bar is close to the bumper and between the sensors it would not be detected providing it is far enough from the sides of the sensors

sorry but you are wrong

you can disable the sensors all together but you will have a warning light on the dash all the time.

they will not offer a front nudge bar for the jeep models with front parking sensors.

PS i can't comment on other 4wd as i have no idea how their sensors work.

From the technical guys at jeep head office state NO NUDGE BARS ON 2011 jeep with front parking sensors

stupid i know as i would love one on my overland

kfc
12-03-2011, 09:37 PM

Gratz mate, I must say I am still enjoying mine, I will put it in next week for its 1000km service and to get any new TSB's done.

deserthucker
12-03-2011, 10:52 PM
sorry but you are wrong

you can disable the sensors all together but you will have a warning light on the dash all the time.

they will not offer a front nudge bar for the jeep models with front parking sensors.

PS i can't comment on other 4wd as i have no idea how their sensors work.

From the technical guys at jeep head office state NO NUDGE BARS ON 2011 jeep with front parking sensors

stupid i know as i would love one on my overland
If you read my post I did say "if the nudgebar fits between the sensors".
if it does not then it won't work.

Mount 2 sensors on the nudgebar!
Not that hard.
Mopar cataloge show how to mount the sensors on the bumper, could not be that hard to move them.

sege
14-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Looks like the Diesel will be here in June. Hemi? Diesel? Hemi? Diesel? Hemi? Diesel? Hemi? Diesel?Hemi? Diesel? Hemi? Diesel? Decisions AAAAARGH!

http://autoweb.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/10B810F70138934CCA25784F00060DBA

EXLR8
14-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Looks like the Diesel will be here in June. Hemi? Diesel? Hemi? Diesel? Hemi? Diesel? Hemi? Diesel?Hemi? Diesel? Hemi? Diesel? Decisions AAAAARGH!

http://autoweb.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/10B810F70138934CCA25784F00060DBA

I have exactly the same dilemma. My wife is certain we should get the Hemi despite the extra running cost because it is "amazing" to drive. I don't know if it is worth the extra $1500/yr in fuel and the fact I have to opt up to the Limited (extra $10K+ purchase) to get it... :confused:
(We've ruled out the V6 petrol as it did not do it for us).

mikehzz
14-03-2011, 11:09 PM
I sat in the new Grand on the weekend. The car is very impressive and looks great but I can't believe they put the handbrake down where they did. Traditionally that area has been a problem and now they have made it worse. In my normal driving position the foot/hand brake was banging my shins. Potentially a great car ruined for me, I wouldn't put up with that. Mike

Marlin
15-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Completely agree.... the foot operated park brake is appalling, and they still haven't completely fixed where exactly your left foot/leg is supposed to rest.

The more I look at them, the more I see the massive void under the rear being the perfect position for a Hemi's LPG system.

pmac
15-03-2011, 10:01 AM
I've never seen the hand, sorry foot brake, in the flesh, but it would be interesting to see how it is placed and effects the LHD versions. It might not be an issue for them so they don't care about us RHD buyers.

Marlin
15-03-2011, 10:39 AM
In LHD it's placed to the left, hard up against the pillar, so no problem really because the console isn't there to make it cramped.

From what I've read on US forums, only REALLY large/tall guys whinge about it.

Some of those Americans are enormous! :p

Marlin
15-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Here it is in engaged position;

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://image.motortrend.com/f/29268089%2Bw750/2011-jeep-grand-cherokee-overland-dash.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.newjeepcherokee.com/jeep-grand-cherokee-vs-acura-mdx/&usg=__P0Xyy_1avpoM3qGAtzD0vgWjwLQ=&h=469&w=750&sz=60&hl=en&start=0&sig2=8u9y_N9yoUc6Mf92AJK-Eg&zoom=1&tbnid=zXSb3VS9ozegIM:&tbnh=131&tbnw=210&ei=k7V-Tbb9MpCevgOu9tXTBw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwk2%2Bdash%2Bfoot%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1 083%26bih%3D828%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=222&oei=hrV-TcilEIakugOu17nKBw&page=1&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0&tx=122&ty=59

mikehzz
15-03-2011, 11:43 AM
I'm around 6 foot so not a huge person. I drove a new VW Touareg around Europe a few months back and it had a nifty electronic button operated hand brake on the centre console. Terrific car but not as good off road and a pram wheel spare. It seems they all get something wrong.

AJ
15-03-2011, 03:07 PM
i've driven these twice now and didn't notice it at all once underway.

briteway
15-03-2011, 04:02 PM
I have exactly the same dilemma. My wife is certain we should get the Hemi despite the extra running cost because it is "amazing" to drive. I don't know if it is worth the extra $1500/yr in fuel and the fact I have to opt up to the Limited (extra $10K+ purchase) to get it... :confused:
(We've ruled out the V6 petrol as it did not do it for us).

Hehehe, the HEMI is "amazing." I'm really in love with it in my WH and the only downside to it is that it's a bit thirsty. But when I'm inside it, I quickly forget about that :)

It's only when I don't drive it that I think of it's fuel drinking and at the same time, I miss it. My wife loves the car too but she can really see how much 'I' love it.

BTW, I spend around $150/w on fuel and I do a fair bit of driving.

EXLR8
15-03-2011, 05:19 PM
BTW, I spend around $150/w on fuel and I do a fair bit of driving.

How many kays would you clock up annually briteway?

My wife thinks it is "amazing" but I think "How much fuel is this going to use.." I do believe the WK2 has made some economy improvements though.

I did have a Fairmont 351 V8 in my younger days so I'm not a V8 virgin, I just remember filling up almost every day and being freindly with the local servo. :D

jdmagoo
15-03-2011, 06:14 PM
I just received an email today from my local jeep dealership with some answers to questions I had. See below:

...."1/ what is the service interval for the HEMI?
First service 6000km, 2nd 12000km, 3rd 24000km etc
2/ how much does each servicing cost for the HEMI?
Each servicing will vary but on average will be $350 to $500
3/ if I were to covert the HEMI to LPG what factory warranty implications would this pose?
Please see attached file.
4/ what is the service interval for the diesel?
First service is 5000km 2nd 10 000km, 3rd 20 000km etc
5/ how much does each servicing cost for the diesel
Will be similar to your current Grand Cherokee from what the mechanics tell me.
6/ any update on when you might have an overland in stock
Overland looks like it will be here late may.
7/ finally, any news on diesel pricing
Nothing official but will probably be the same or very similar pricing as the Hemi...."

The attached file was a flyer from Parnell gas conversions stating that they were the only jeep approved lpg conversion company for the HEMI that didn't effect the factory warranty. The flyer talks about the WH and the cylinder being placed in the spare wheel well, which is 70litres useable capacity. I'm guessing the same size or bigger will fit in the 2011 model and will ring Parnell to find out.

Now I have to sit down and work out if the cost of running the vehicle after the lpg conversion is the same as the diesel considering the less servicing required over the 5 years I plan to have it for.

Decisions decisions

briteway
15-03-2011, 06:55 PM
How many kays would you clock up annually briteway?

I do around 27,000 km annually and use around 6,500 litres of fuel.

With my second vehicle, I rack up around 20,000 km annually and use around 2,500 litres of fuel.

I wish I could do less.

EXLR8
15-03-2011, 09:24 PM
I do around 27,000 km annually and use around 6,500 litres of fuel.

With my second vehicle, I rack up around 20,000 km annually and use around 2,500 litres of fuel.

I wish I could do less.

24.1L/100km average? I think you need to take the hand brake off. :shock: Worst case I was thinking was around 17L/100km average.

12.5L/100km for your other car is the same as my Focus XR5. :-)

briteway
16-03-2011, 04:23 AM
Yeah, unfortunately. I can never bring the fuel consumption on the HEMI below 23L/100km. It's always between 23 and 27. This is mainly city driving (peak times). I can't see how 17L/100km is possible.

If I do mixed city & freeway in between peaks, I'll get around 19L/100km, but the peaks quickly kill the average :(

Marlin
16-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Mate, I've never seen anywhere near 27/100, even when towing in the city!

I used an entire tank of 91 over the weekend, typical urban with 2/3 people aboard, and I took the opportuntity to be mild (not soft) on the throttle, and I averaged 15.8/100.

As I've said before I can easily average 22/23, but that's over a tank of trips less than 5klm in distance, when it's always running rich on cold start.

*** Worth mentioning that when I run my standard wheel/tyre package, saving about 20kg per corner, economy improved by around 2l/100 over my typical grind.

pmac
16-03-2011, 09:30 AM
The attached file was a flyer from Parnell gas conversions stating that they were the only jeep approved lpg conversion company for the HEMI that didn't effect the factory warranty. The flyer talks about the WH and the cylinder being placed in the spare wheel well, which is 70litres useable capacity. I'm guessing the same size or bigger will fit in the 2011 model and will ring Parnell to find out.

I have a 4.7l V8 on LPG injection with the tank in the spare wheel well. It uses about 2l more per 100 km on LPG than petrol. On the highway the computer changes from 11 to 13 when doing about 110km/h on the same flat section when I switch between Fuel & LPG.

Frustration is that when driving around town, I run out of gas after about 230-250kms and it fits 55l ($35). Cost is great but more than anything else, having to fill up so regularly is a pain in the bum.

briteway
16-03-2011, 03:56 PM
I used an entire tank of 91 over the weekend, typical urban with 2/3 people aboard, and I took the opportuntity to be mild (not soft) on the throttle, and I averaged 15.8/100.

I can't believe this, tell me how you do it :) I can only dream of that fuel economy.

I can't even get that when I travel long highway trips to other towns. :(

mossy
16-03-2011, 05:00 PM
I just received an email today from my local jeep dealership with some answers to questions I had. See below:

...."1/ what is the service interval for the HEMI?
First service 6000km, 2nd 12000km, 3rd 24000km etc
2/ how much does each servicing cost for the HEMI?
Each servicing will vary but on average will be $350 to $500
3/ if I were to covert the HEMI to LPG what factory warranty implications would this pose?
Please see attached file.
4/ what is the service interval for the diesel?
First service is 5000km 2nd 10 000km, 3rd 20 000km etc
5/ how much does each servicing cost for the diesel
Will be similar to your current Grand Cherokee from what the mechanics tell me.
6/ any update on when you might have an overland in stock
Overland looks like it will be here late may.
7/ finally, any news on diesel pricing
Nothing official but will probably be the same or very similar pricing as the Hemi...."

Now I have to sit down and work out if the cost of running the vehicle after the lpg conversion is the same as the diesel considering the less servicing required over the 5 years I plan to have it for.

Decisions decisions

Don't believe a sales me on the costs of servicing. The following is straight from a service manager at a Jeep Dealership. Nothing under $400 and up almost $1400 for major service. Much more expensive compared to other manufacturers which is putting me off, but I love the car!!

Diesel

The service intervals are 10,000km or 6 months

10,000/6months $463
20,000/12months $567
30,000/18months $463
40,000/24months $1360
50,000/30months $1062
60,000/36months $607
70,000/42months $463
80.000/48months $1360

Petrol

The service intervals are 12,000km or 6 months

12,000/6month $455
24,000/12month $493
36,000/18month $1077
48,000/24month $1255
60,000/30month $455
72,000/36month $1115
84,000/42month $455
96,000/48month $1255

jdmagoo
16-03-2011, 07:06 PM
I have a 4.7l V8 on LPG injection with the tank in the spare wheel well. It uses about 2l more per 100 km on LPG than petrol. On the highway the computer changes from 11 to 13 when doing about 110km/h on the same flat section when I switch between Fuel & LPG.

Frustration is that when driving around town, I run out of gas after about 230-250kms and it fits 55l ($35). Cost is great but more than anything else, having to fill up so regularly is a pain in the bum.

What lpg system are you using? Because Parnell have said that there VSI system doesn't change power or economy what's so ever, also Parnell have told me that in the next few months they will be releasing a new lpg system that will provide more power and better economy than using petrol, this will also be covered under factory warranty for 3 years then has an extended period for another two years. Also, since I will be novated leasing the vehicle the government grants for lpg conversion are not excepted - bugger

Ballypinball
16-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Don't forget

New Engine mounts and brake relines inc new discs and tyres etc
will add a few Thousand to the servicing costs

What No Jeep
16-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Yeah service costs are a killer.

I am even considering replacing my Grand with a Toyota with $210 fixed price servicing for the first 60,000ks, then $216 at 70,000 and $773 at 80,000ks for a saving of over $4k.

mikehzz
17-03-2011, 06:22 AM
A 'glow in the dark' Toyota? The poor buggers have copped a hiding.

pmac
17-03-2011, 09:13 AM
What lpg system are you using? Because Parnell have said that there VSI system doesn't change power or economy what's so ever, also Parnell have told me that in the next few months they will be releasing a new lpg system that will provide more power and better economy than using petrol, this will also be covered under factory warranty for 3 years then has an extended period for another two years. Also, since I will be novated leasing the vehicle the government grants for lpg conversion are not excepted - bugger

Sprint gas I think. I find it hard to believe as it is being injected just the same as the petrol is. When you go way out west, the LPG is much better quality therefore I can imagine it better than petrol, but the quality in the metro area is crap so I can't see being better.

It's better quality out west as they don't want to do two deliveries, one for cooking gas and another for car gas. As such, cars get the much better qaulity cooking gas out there.

bikemat
17-03-2011, 04:57 PM
why the heck would you want better quality gas for a cast iron burner than an engine?!?!?

deserthucker
17-03-2011, 10:07 PM
why the heck would you want better quality gas for a cast iron burner than an engine?!?!?

As an ex tanker driver.
LPG for cars in the metro area is a mix of propane and butane.

House gas/cooking gas is Propane.

If butane is used for heaters cookers they would have to be re-jeted and calibrated.

And because of the low usage and remoteness of some places they only cart one type of gas, gas tankers don't have separate compartments like fuel tankers.

mikehzz
21-03-2011, 10:13 PM

The gas for cookers is propane and burns easier and is safer in confined areas, less carbon monoxide. Butane doesn't burn as well but you get a bit more miles per gallon because its heavier. Very unsafe in a confined area because more carbon monoxide. Thats why the jets need to be modified if you want to cook with it. If you drive a lot with lpg then you really notice some tank fulls go further than others. I've noticed a 50-60 km difference with the same type of driving, it means you got a decent load of butane in it when the kms are higher. Butane turns to liquid not far under 0 degrees so isn't even a gas on very cold mornings.

AJ
25-03-2011, 05:21 PM
I kinda hope that our Overlands don't come with the US Summit Series front Grill. It's too much chrome for my liking and I'd prefer the same as they have on the limited. What do you think?

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/images/2011_wk2_Overland_Summit_03.jpg

Vs

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/2011/2011_gc_073.jpg

Ballypinball
25-03-2011, 08:17 PM
I kinda hope that our Overlands don't come with the US Summit Series front Grill. It's too much chrome for my liking and I'd prefer the same as they have on the limited. What do you think?

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/images/2011_wk2_Overland_Summit_03.jpg

Vs

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/2011/2011_gc_073.jpg

The aust overlands are not a summit
they do have some options from the summit, I doubt it will have that grill

deserthucker
25-03-2011, 08:51 PM
I like both.
But the later would be easyer to keep clean.

EXLR8
25-03-2011, 10:04 PM
I don't mind the chrome fog light surrounds though. I'm 50/50 with the different grilles. I think it depends on the colour of the car. I wouldn't pay to have a chrome one fitted though.

kfc
26-03-2011, 12:44 AM
Here is a pic I took of mine the a few days ago..

bikemat
26-03-2011, 10:43 AM
I've never considered it before, but looking at the summit grill, then the standard one, makes the standard one look almost a bit unfinished to me.

Ballypinball
27-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Here is a pic I took of mine the a few days ago..

is this a pic of an overland?

AJ
27-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Hi All,

Limited V6

Options:

Quadra-Lift
Mopar Skid Plates
Mopar Side Steps

kFc

Going from his first post, I'm guessing not an overland. Would be very jealous if somebody already had one :evil:

kfc
27-03-2011, 07:25 PM
is this a pic of an overland?

Its a limited v6 with QL

EXLR8
27-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Its a limited v6 with QL

Which brings me to... Other than the adaptive cruise control sensor (and the badge), is an Overland going to look any different externally to a Limited Hemi?

Wanderer
24-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Hi All,

kFc

Hello kfc...Me, I own a 07 Commander and getting up there in Ks so have been looking at the New Grand but things like this concern me.. I really use my Jeeps (3 so far) offroad:

Exract From: Talking Jeep Oz (http://talkingjeepoz.blogspot.com/)

"Jeep Grand Cherokee 2012 Recovery Hook Announcement

Numerous complaints from purchasers of the 2012 Grand Cherokee regarding the deletion of front recovery hooks has led Chrysler Jeep Australia to officially advise dealers that the screw in Tow Hooks supplied with 2012 models are not suitable for four wheel drive recovery and are only rated for very light towing duties.
In an official dealer bulletin distributed today they also stated that the 2011 recovery hooks can not be fitted to the 2012 model as the front of the vehicle has been modified and there is no mounting bar for the factory hooks to bolt to.
The reason given for the deletion of the 2011 recovery hooks was to comply with ANCAP pedestrian safety requirements and European regulations for pedestrian impact. Also prospective future Australian legislation that could bring Euro regulations to Australia.
Seeing that the Jeep Grand Cherokee has not been ANCAP tested in Australia (only Euro-NCAP and US ) this seems like a feeble excuse. It looks more like Jeep Australia are being dictated to by Jeep in the US that they must take European specification vehicles instead of the 2011 specification that Australian buyers were expecting at the time of purchase. It appears that Jeep only want to build one version for export at the cost of customer expectations. This is the very first real 4WD Jeep to be sold in Australia without being fitted with suitable hooks for 4WD recovery.
We have been told that Jeep Australia are evaluating retro fitting of suitable recovery hooks and also a new designed Nudge Bar that will incorporate recovery hooks.
In the meantime owners wishing to use their 2012 Grand Cherokee in 4WD terrain can only safely drive on 2WD roads. Venture onto 4WD trails and get stuck in some mud and your Jeep can not be recovered without major damage to the vehicle. Under no circumstances should owners use the screw in tow eye hook for any recovery as it is not rated for recovery."

Also:

Just talked to a bloke who has a brand new Grand Overland (changed from Commander to Rangie back to Jeep) and was admiring his very spic alloy wheels (aftermarket)...Appears fitting extra spots/driving lights to the new Grand is a no go (except the Laredo???) they have one HID light that does both hi & lo beam: voltage is varied according to what is selected - hi or lo - and monitored by the ECU so no individual hi-beam wire to connect the spot relay to & the ECU errors if you try any tricks. Eventually some electronics genius will find a way I guess.

And:

Appears you can't fit a bullbar on the Overland because of the Adaptive Cruise Control "thing" is in the centre of the bar...Don't be tempted to use for snatching and winching the screw-in tie-down Jeep are supplying with the MY12

And:

Jeep are still giving the same reason for removal of the MY11 recovery hooks on the MY12 is because they are getting ready for the possibility of Australia adopting the EU pedestrian impact design rules..Talk about spin.

Wanderer
24-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Appears fitting extra spots/driving lights to the new Grand is a no go (except the Laredo???) they have one HID light that does both hi & lo beam: voltage is varied according to what is selected - hi or lo - and monitored by the ECU so no individual hi-beam wire to connect the spot relay to & the ECU errors if you try any tricks. Eventually some electronics genius will find a way I guess.

And:

Appears you can't fit a bullbar on the Overland because of the Adaptive Cruise Control "thing" is in the centre of the bar...Don't be tempted to use for snatching and winching the screw-in tie-down Jeep are supplying with the MY12

As this is hearsay but from normally reliable sources, best to do your own homework rather than get caught out..No recovery point on front is a worry and the ECB bar and Mopar nudge for the MY11 Grand won't fit the MY12 as is....Believe ECB (must be cursing) are working on the problem (am told should have an answer by mid year) but Jeep decision a cause for concern.

Don't be tempted to use the screw in tow eye hook, that Jeep supply with the MY12, for snatching or winching..Could be fatal if you do...It's only for hauling onto tow truck & tie down...

The screw-in tow eye mounting hardware..Not good:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HFpZlcPYIHs/Tu_Nz4NHVgI/AAAAAAAAAh4/LVF7qjcFp2I/s320/WK2+2012+screw+in+002.jpg

More on "Jeep Grand Cherokee 2012 - Is It Trail Ready? (http://talkingjeepoz.blogspot.com/2011/12/jeep-grand-cherokee-2012-is-it-trail.html)"

briteway
24-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Shame... Just disappointing for such a nice rig.

Brisneyland
24-01-2012, 01:18 PM
What colour WK have you bought/ordered and why. I'm between the White, Silver or Mineral Grey in order of preference for different reasons. I think the white is sporty, the silver is safe and easy to keep clean and the mineral is the most prestigeous.

Yamar210
25-01-2012, 07:34 AM
As this is hearsay but from normally reliable sources, best to do your own homework rather than get caught out..No recovery point on front is a worry and the ECB bar and Mopar nudge for the MY11 Grand won't fit the MY12 as is....Believe ECB (must be cursing) are working on the problem (am told should have an answer by mid year) but Jeep decision a cause for concern.

Don't be tempted to use the screw in tow eye hook, that Jeep supply with the MY12, for snatching or winching..Could be fatal if you do...It's only for hauling onto tow truck & tie down...

The screw-in tow eye mounting hardware..Not good:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HFpZlcPYIHs/Tu_Nz4NHVgI/AAAAAAAAAh4/LVF7qjcFp2I/s320/WK2+2012+screw+in+002.jpg

More on "Jeep Grand Cherokee 2012 - Is It Trail Ready? (http://talkingjeepoz.blogspot.com/2011/12/jeep-grand-cherokee-2012-is-it-trail.html)"

For all of you that are not happy re the Front Tow hooks please post on the jeep face book site , I did last night and there is a steady stream of complaints coming in

reddragon
26-01-2012, 06:04 AM
Why not just order a set of mopar tow hooks for it http://www.justforjeeps.com/fronttowhooks1.html

JnK
26-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Why not just order a set of mopar tow hooks for it http://www.justforjeeps.com/fronttowhooks1.html

You need to read the thread on the front recovery hooks .........http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110611
The tow hooks have been deleted because the front crossmember on the 2012 has been modified to comply with EU pedestrian regs.
The hooks no longer fit.

Wanderer
26-01-2012, 08:35 AM

First question anyone would ask but with MY12 front end redesign, next is how to attach tow hooks (difficult)?? There are two holes in the frame that have been deleted from the MY12 GC..Theses are necessary and looks like the redesigned frame isn't substantial enough (too narrow) to be drilled or modified to fit them as is MY11 so hopefully ECB can come up with something..I believe Stu from Murchason Products is also looking into it.

see thread: http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112125

eg image from that thread:

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=52003&d=1325838672

Notice the extra foam inserted..Guess that is for the EU Pedestrian Impact Regulations requirements