6-speed auto for 2012 GC [Archive] - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

PDA

View Full Version : 6-speed auto for 2012 GC

kruzenvax
13-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Hi all,

Have just discovered on the Internet that - apparently - in US 2012 GC's will be getting a new 6-speed autos.

What do you think? Is it worth the wait (not sure when - and if - it will be available in Australia)?

Also been told - by the dealer - that towing capacity on the diesel model will be lesser than on V8? Any credibility to that?

Thanks

Gojeep
13-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Even the WH series have 6 speed autos. They just dont use them sequentially as use a different '2nd' on the way up through the gears than it does coming back down.

kruzenvax
13-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Gojeep, thanks for responding... I'm afraid I'm not technical enough to understand. If it is not too much trouble, may I please ask you to elaborate in lame (me) terms?

Are you saying it is already 6speed in GC2011 even when it is called 5speed on the spec sheet?

Basically I'm trying to figure out if this 6speed upgrade is important enough and comes to Australia soon enough for me to wait?

Thanks

Even the WH series have 6 speed autos. They just dont use them sequentially as use a different '2nd' on the way up through the gears than it does coming back down.

What No Jeep
13-06-2011, 08:28 PM
NO its a 5 speed. But the Hemi's have a choice of two 2nd gear ratios.

One for performance, one for economy......a bit of a gimmick as it never caught on with any other manufacturer....or vehicle for that matter.

Gojeep
14-06-2011, 06:13 PM
It does have 6 different forward gears but only uses 5 on the way up through the gears, and 5 down but uses a different 2nd gear ratio then to the way up. It doesn't make a lot of sense why they did that as carrying the weight of the extra gear but don't get to use them all in a row. Think it is really unneeded the extra gear as both the CRD and the V8 have enough torque to use even less than 5 gears, let alone 6! More so it looks good in the brochure. The less torque you make, the more gears you need.

What No Jeep
14-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Here is some good reading on Jeep Transmissions.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_transm.htm

Marlin
15-06-2011, 10:34 AM
The 2012 WK2 is using the SAME gearbox with subtle alterations to allow a distinct six speeds as opposed to the distinct 5 speeds of now.

Yes, the WK and WK2 V8's gearbox currently has two second gear ratios (as the update will retain), but what the original poster asks is, in essence, whether there is to be a change.

The answer is yes.

kruzenvax
15-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Yes, the WK and WK2 V8's gearbox currently has two second gear ratios (as the update will retain), but what the original poster asks is, in essence, whether there is to be a change.

The answer is yes.

Thanks Marlin,

That is exactly what I was asking about. This, plus all the problems with WK2 2011 I read about on us forums (air suspension, shudder, etc) are forcing me to consider waiting for a 2012 build. Was going to sign the contract this Friday (love the car) but will probably wait now...

4WD4FUN
15-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Hi all,

Also been told - by the dealer - that towing capacity on the diesel model will be lesser than on V8? Any credibility to that?

Thanks

Not sure how true this is :( but was told by one dealer that they have de rated the towing on Hemi V8 new build GC coming through factory due to components made in Japan being affected by tsunami so are sourcing V6 parts to have vehicles built. So If you get a Hemi V8 with the same tow rating as a V6 its due to some of the cooling components (motor , gearbox not sure which ) actually being from the V6 petrol model and this is apparently the the same for the diesel model.
Have not been able to have this confirmed.
Sales person advised this re ordering new model.
The one on dealer floor had the Advertised V8 tow capacity and if ordered new model it would come with lower V6 tow rating Until they can have new source of V8 cooling parts in later models. :-o
Has any one else been told this or seen a V8 Yet with lower tow rating on plate.

kruzenvax
16-06-2011, 09:16 AM
4WD4FUN, this sounds very true (unfortunately)... The dealership guy was also mentioning something about Japan affecting things. Looks odd to me though (in the case of V8): a person is buying V8 with 3.5t of towing and gets only 2.5? I bet 99% of people won't check the towing rating when leaving the dealership...

Marlin
16-06-2011, 11:40 AM
To be honest guys, I can't seeing that being true.

The V6 gearbox doesn't even mate up to the V8, it's a complete different thing.

As for cooling systems, I can't see them being made in Japan to be honest.

Has anyone asked these questions of Milous?

kruzenvax
18-06-2011, 09:18 AM
It is hard to believe, but after some discussions around I do believe that was the case for some V8's (not for the diesel as posted originally). Got it almost officially confirmed :???:

Really love that car, but...

johnv
23-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Mate - wait and see the 6 speed when it's released in the states and compare the ratios.
Ultimately Jeep will have to go with the 7 speed Mercedes option, market pressure will dictate that.
Nissan has introduced a 7 speed auto into their Navara STX550 and Pathfinder 550 - there is some talk of Nissan looking at that same V6 - 3.0 Lt diesel engine into their Patrol as well. That will put pressure on Toyota to do something similar and of course Jeep as well.

ENFORCER
24-06-2011, 05:26 PM
The CRD has the same 3500kg towing as the Hemi.
Hopefully I will get mine in a month.
CRD Overland in Mineral Grey

RydeRocks
26-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Hi, I am on my second GC, my current WG CRD is 2003, and I am waiting to trade on the new one.

3 factors will effect your thinking,

1/ The vehicles are no longer assembled in Austria where the RH GC CRD Jeeps for Sth Africa,UK,HK,Japan and ANZ have been assembled till now. The new GC's are assembled in USA in Jefferson North Detroit assembly plant.

2/ The new jeep GC CRD has the VM Motori A630 DOHC in it I believe. See:
http://www.vmmotori.it/en/01/00/01/dettaglio.jsp?id=9 for details.

3/ They had to source a temp transmission for the new diesels from Japan, which are also in short supply. I was told that testing has revealed that they overheat if attempting to tow to the original weight specifications with the VM Motori engine, therefore they will release next month with recommended 2.5 tonne towing limit only for CRD's.

A new 6 speed transmission will be fitting to the RH CRD Jeeps in 2012 which will return the towing capacity to spec.

Having spent months researching all this stuff and speaking with dealers I have decided to wait until 2012 for my new GC CRD.

RydeRocks.

kruzenvax
29-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks, actually I made the same decision. Frankly, I can't imagine me - or any owner - buying the car with 3.5t towing advertised and getting 2.5t only when picking it up? Something I have neve heard about before...

jamesjoseph
29-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Just found this and had a good read about the new Grands.

http://www.allpar.com/trucks/jeep/2011-cherokee.html

deserthucker
03-07-2011, 01:40 AM
What I have read the new CRD have the wa580 in them.
Tow rate has not been dropped.
The V6 petrol has a lower tow spec.
There were a few V8 not fitted with the extra cooling, Supply issues from Japan.
Dropped their towing capacity.