PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on aftermarket Bumpers and Bars

JK TRACKS
30-08-2011, 08:51 PM
G'day,
Three weeks I made the move from Toyota to Jeep. Tough decision but the only looking back I'll be doing is in the Rearview. So my dilema now is What bars to put on my JK 2011 2 Door. I was dead set on Smitybuilt (Stinger Bars) but much to my disappointment I was told that they are not legal on gazetted roads. Guess it makes sense as they do look like a bit of a MAD MAX Weapon! Does anyone have suggestions on what fits best front and back? Have not had lift done yet so everything is still stock, well excluding Renegade pack.

SeaComms
30-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Theres not that many that are strictly legal on Aussie roads, off the top of my head you have the DBOR modular, ARB, TJM and AEV. There is prob a few more, but these ones I know for sure.

If you like the option of stubby bars then the DBOR one is prob the best value for money being a 3 peice design where you can pull the wings off, with new wings being made at the moment that raise up similar shape to the ARB.

Rear is are a little less of a concern as they dont have the same problem with the Pedestrian Council - probably since most people dont drive in reverse on the road.

Personally I would look for one that keeps the stock tow bar, like the ARB or Mopar os similar.

Jump into the JK section and there are two sticky threads, one for front bars and one for rears.

JK TRACKS
31-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Cheers. I am completely gobsmacked at the amount of options...Feels like I have bought a Mechano car. Thinking of taking on more work so I can pay to get the JK offroad ready. Do all major manufactures make air bag compliant front bars??

JeepCrazy
31-08-2011, 09:54 PM
if you plan on upgrading your tires size, look at bars with swing away tire carriers.....

What's the story with this swing away carrier and tire size? Is weight an issue for the stock wheel carrier?

SeaComms
31-08-2011, 10:08 PM
By major suppliers, most Aussie made ones plus the American AEV are both airbag and ADR compliant. The US made ones are mostly airbag compliant in the US (but we dont have the crush cans so this may not be relevant to our models), but not generally specifically approved for on road use in Australia. If they have clean lines and meet the requirements of protusions, curve radius', hoop angles etc then the chance of being hit up for a non approved bar are extremely slim, unless of course you plow it into the back of a Merc or something!

As for rears with swingaway carriers, yes, main problem is the larger tyres are a lot heavier and will crack the tailgate over bumps.