PDA

View Full Version : Vic High Country

MADbunyip
05-09-2011, 08:20 AM
Vic - craigs hut/Dargo/???
Gudday all!!
I'll be running a trip to somewhere i have no idea about !!!
Easter 2012 I will be running a trip into the Vic high country - aim is Craigs hut but not sure about the area, I have seen alot latley on the 4x4 action DVD's Dargo and the ridge trail but not sure where or the best place to set up a base camp with a 4x4 club - plan is travel to a central kinda spot so daily trips can be run from 1 base camp we will be leaving from Canberra and will be done over approx 1 week- as stated I know nothing about the area and wanted anybodys suggestions, thoughts, ideas where to look any info would be much appreciated
Cheers Toby

motas
05-09-2011, 08:27 AM
On the way into dargo theres a massive big opening that had some people camping there last time we went. Otherwise just have a look around because we found a few good camp spots on our way.

paulh
05-09-2011, 11:08 AM
During the Easter long weekend a lot of Jeeps go to Coffs Harbour for the Jeep Action Camp Coffs.

But there may be some that stay in town

Paul

Tasar
05-09-2011, 11:34 AM
There are a couple of great places to do a base camp if want to do craig's hut

Sheepyard flat - off the Mt buller road - is 2wd in and great access to high country
Anywhere around Jamieson or Gough's bay or towards woods point on the goulburn river have beautiful camp spots - both Howqua river and Jamieson river have wonderful camping spots - most only have space for about 4or 5 cars and good access to fuel and supplies

other options are Pineapple flat or even wonnongatta valley would need to take in all supplies to these 2

PM me if you need help

Vic High country is very special 4wding destination very hard to beat

Grahame
05-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Talbotville and Pioneer Racecourse both have huge areas suitable for a club. It's a historic area so there is more to see and do than just wheeling. There's plenty of day trips out of there and Dargo is not all that far if you need to go for supplies.

RedCherokee
05-09-2011, 04:55 PM
You aren't planning on going to Camp Coffs at Easter??

Must have an aversion to mud and leeches. :shock:

Crackles
05-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Toby Easter can get fairly busy so where ever you choose you'll need to arrive early to find enough room for a club.
Firstly while Talbotville is a great central location for the High Country it's too far from Craig's Hut to be done as a day trip so I'd look for camps closer to Mansfield. Locations I'd suggest are Fry's flat through to 8 mile flat on the Howqua or Bindaree Flat & Pikes flat further upstream. Pineapple Flat & Kings Flat on the King river are the closest areas large enough. There are plenty of easy accessable camps along the Goulburn River from Jamieson up to Knockwood if you'd also like to explore the Woods point area with plenty of more difficult tracks & river crossings close handy.
Coming from the ACT it may suit to head up either the Buckland or Buffalo Valleys which are closer to you, both of which have plenty of opportunities for groups. This is about as far NE as you'd want set up your base from Craig's hut to keep it within a day's drive but has the benefit of also being close to Wonnangatta & Blue Rag Range.
If you also want to include the Dargo area then perhaps have two base camps. This then allows you to see the gold area around Talbotville including Billy Goat track to the Pinnacals. Personally I'd spend my time in one area as there is so much to see & is a good excuse to come back. Takes about 4 weeks to see the main tracks & features of the HC.
When planning routes 120km is a big days drive on mixed HC tracks & roads
Suggest you pick up 2 or 3 of the Rooftops High Country maps covering the areas you want to see as they show all the main camps, historic sites & 4x4 tracks.
PM me for more specific details.

MADbunyip
06-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Gudday all - thanks very much for the info and names of places around the area thats exactly what i was looking for -
OK school me on this camp coffs and jeep jambo i have been hearing about, easter this year i was in a convoy heading to Fraser Island and stopped at the Big Banana when a dude in a nice Larado followed me just to check out my rig and gave me a heap of mags (thanks mate) and told me about camp Coffs, does camp Coffs happen every year same place same time???? - I have been in the 4x4 scene for many years and have been an active trip leader with my local club and have been running trips for a long time, just new to owning a JEEP (love it)
thanks again
Toby

layback40
06-09-2011, 08:31 PM
This basic map may help.