PDA

View Full Version : WK2 - Front recovery hooks ?

Pages : [1] 2

mhillman
11-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Are there any? Am expecting delivery of my WK2 in December, and I was just looking at a new one at the dealer, and he and I couldn't see any front recovery hook(s). There were two plastic covers which look like they cover attachment points of some kind, but they are possibly only for a nudge bar. Can anyone post a photo of the WK2 front recovery hooks, or perhaps suggestions of suitable aftermarket ones if necessary.

Fletch
12-11-2011, 11:13 AM
2012 Grand Cherokee models no longer come with front Tow Hooks.
Apparently to meet Euro Pedestrian Impact Regulations!!!!

Jeep Australia could have had them put in the back of the car and fitted them here prior to delivery but no... that would be the common sense approach.

Ask your dealer for a quote and it will be $900+ for parts plus fitting!
Go to Just For Jeeps .com and they will land them at your door for $273 direct from the US.
We have customers expecting them on their new Grand Cherokee too!
The 2011 has them standard.

zzkazu
12-11-2011, 11:19 AM
I think towing and recovery hooks serve different purposes. All the US forum info is based on the towing aspect vs recovery.

mhillman
12-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Thanks Fletch - I'm still recovering from the shocks - 1. that they are not factory fitted and, 2. the somewhat inflated price Chrysler charge for parts.

I had a little trouble finding the part on justforjeeps.com, but I eventually found the number on another site. For those listening, it's 82212095 (pair). I have a feeling there's quite a few out there who will need to be ordering them.

sege
12-11-2011, 10:08 PM

Jeep Australia could have had them put in the back of the car and fitted them here prior to delivery but no... that would be the common sense approach.

Go to Just For Jeeps .com and they will land them at your door for $273 direct from the US.

Do they come in the Off Road Adventure Group option????:confused:

darthgus
13-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Do they come in the Off Road Adventure Group option????:confused:

I would like to know this too! I assumed they were standard, shitty they have removed a feature...!

Fletch
14-11-2011, 10:06 AM
The 2011 model comes with two heavy duty Tow Hooks (thats what they call them in the US) but they are actually recovery hooks.
The 2012 model is fitted with a plastic removable cover over where the hooks would normally be. It could be possible that you can fit aftermarket recovery hooks in the same spot but they would need to be fitted by someone who knows what they are doing and would need to be easily accessable for attaching a shackle or recovery equipment.
They dont come as part of the Off Road Adventure Group either.
The Mopar Hooks are rated for towing 2,494 kg - this is the only hook rating I have ever seen from Jeep for any model.
Never had a problem using genuine hooks on any Jeep in a recovery as long as they are correctly fitted.

sege
14-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Got this response from a jeepgarage website blog:

I asked the dealer where I purchased my Jeep from and this was the reply - I guess all is fine still?

You will still have recovery points but instead of being a fixed bracket now they screw into the car so you can use them as you need them . Feel free to come down to the show room and I can show you how they work.

Now I am really confused, or are these the $900 ones Fletch is talking about!!!???

mhillman
07-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Situation on tow hooks is now clear, now that my car has been delivered.

1. The 2011 tow hooks will not fit the 2012 model. There are two essential holes in the frame that have been deleted in the 2012 model (see image in http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112125). Perhaps with a little engineering they can be adapted to fit. Interested if anyone achieves this.
2. There is a screw in 'tow hook' supplied, but it's only for on road towing, and not recovery.

scarps
10-01-2012, 07:18 AM
Are there any? Am expecting delivery of my WK2 in December, and I was just looking at a new one at the dealer, and he and I couldn't see any front recovery hook(s). There were two plastic covers which look like they cover attachment points of some kind, but they are possibly only for a nudge bar. Can anyone post a photo of the WK2 front recovery hooks, or perhaps suggestions of suitable aftermarket ones if necessary.

Hi Marc & Fletch,
Wes at NM is currently chasing an answer for mine (on order) as I intend to use mine offroad and will be useless without some form of front recovery points. This product would be my ideal solution. Combination nudge bar with recovery points. http://www.4xguard.com/Product/Matrix.html
I think this is for the previous model GC, but they also appear to have a side bar option for this called brush guards. Given the design of the front bumper on the new WK2, an add on overfront bar which includes the snatch points may be an option to cover both.
regards
Scott

Yamar210
11-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Its crazy that when I first orderd my GC Overland back in August there was no mention of "no recovery hooks" and my GC Overland is due next week,
I purchased the Overland for many reasons 1 being the fact it can be recovered as I do holiday at Fraser and Morton and you do need the piece of mind that you can snatch out if needed,

I certainly expect the dealer to at least supply the hooks as this is what I paid for , Just need to figure out a safe way of installing them :wall:

sege
11-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Its crazy that when I first orderd my GC Overland back in August there was no mention of "no recovery hooks" and my GC Overland is due next week,
I purchased the Overland for many reasons 1 being the fact it can be recovered as I do holiday at Fraser and Morton and you do need the piece of mind that you can snatch out if needed,

I certainly expect the dealer to at least supply the hooks as this is what I paid for , Just need to figure out a safe way of installing them :wall:

I would also suggest posting on Jeep Facebook site.....

JnK
12-01-2012, 06:09 AM

The 2012 we get does have a 30mm eye bolt packed beside the spare that apparently can be fitted and used as a towing hook.

The 2011 tow hooks available (so far) in the US won't fit straight up to the 2012 as the steel profile in the front member on the 2012 has been changed. Holes in the 2011 that were used to position the hook are no longer there. Check out Marc Hillman's link posted above.

So far on the WK2 forums around there isn't any information (that I have seen) regarding anyone who has successfully fitted recovery hooks to a 2012.

mhillman
15-01-2012, 08:16 PM
I have lodged a written complaint with Chrysler (a week ago), and no response yet. As far as I'm concerned the vehicle, as delivered, is not fit for its intended purpose.

Yamar210
16-01-2012, 07:32 AM
I have lodged a written complaint with Chrysler (a week ago), and no response yet. As far as I'm concerned the vehicle, as delivered, is not fit for its intended purpose.

mhillman

Who did you address it to, and whats the email address. I will also lodge a complaint

Spoke with the dealer on Saturday as my jeep is due later this week , Explained that I wasn't happy with no tow hooks and he didn't even realize that the tow hooks weren't there , I asked him how am I supposed to recover the vehicle if stuck. He was going to get back to me :mad:

Jim Connelly
16-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Bought my WK in November last year and asked the sales dude when it was manufactured and he said November 2011 therefore it was a 2011 model.
OK, off to East Coast Bullbars to purchase their new WK bullbar as they are the only manufacturer at the moment who has committed to manufacturing one.
Well, it turns out my WK is a 2012 and the bulbar cannot be attached because the front end has been redesigned slightly because of the tow hook issue.
East Coast Bullbars are not happy little vegemites with Chrysler at the moment because according to a spokesperson they spent a lot of time, money and resources developing the bar for the WK and now it’s basically useless; good for only a handful of 2011 models.
I asked when the 2012 model version was coming and “Who Knows” was the reply.
Also had my DPChip reprogrammed by Berrima Diesel for the WK VM Motori engine and when fitted it sent the Jeep into Limp Home Mode with low common rail pressure trouble code recorded.
Lucky my mechanic was close by and was able to clear the DTC and get me going.
Berrima currently has the module back for investigation along with the invoice for the mechanics time.
I strongly suggest if you fit a diesel chip make sure you have an EOBD11 device handy to clear the TC if the chip fails or malfunctions in any way, otherwise have a deep wallet for the recovery.

Jim

Yamar210
17-01-2012, 07:23 AM

mhillman

I have also just lodged a written complaint with Chrysler, Let see what happens :mad:

mhillman
19-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Some encouraging news. I have just been contacted by the customer service people at Chrysler, and "we are working closely with our bullbar development sub-contractor, and next Tuesday (Jan 24) we will be exploring the option of a specially developed tow hook, or a change to the nudge bar already under development to include recovery points". It's not definate yet, but it looks like a soultion is being worked on, and we may see something fairly soon.

Yamar210
19-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Some encouraging news. I have just been contacted by the customer service people at Chrysler, and "we are working closely with our bullbar development sub-contractor, and next Tuesday (Jan 24) we will be exploring the option of a specially developed tow hook, or a change to the nudge bar already under development to include recovery points". It's not definate yet, but it looks like a soultion is being worked on, and we may see something fairly soon.

That's great news ,

I had the Brisbane Regional Manager for Chrysler call me yesterday regarding my complaint and he said there was not a solution planed and advised me to go back to the dealer to find a after market solution , I must admit i was not impressed with his customer service skills :wall:

pwy
19-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Great news! Thanks for letting us know.
Hoping for the tow hook solution as bars tend to interfere with the ACC sensors.

jjgc
21-01-2012, 09:37 AM
thanks for the good news mhillman Iam also waiting to here from Chrysler lets hope we get the hooks at no cost to us. IT took me some effort to get Chrysler to talk to me. However the vic sales manager has told me they are working on the problem and will let me know when they have a fix.
2012 wk2 laredo 3lt crd mineral grey delivered 9/11/2011

Coupland
25-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the update guys...am watching with interest and will put a complaint into Chrysler regarding the lack of recovery points. Just picked up our 2012 Grand Cherokee Limited this arvo.

jimmyb7
26-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Thanks for all the good information. I'm picking up my Grand Cherokee on Monday and I am really concerned about the lack of recovery points.

Considering Jeep's decision to remove the hooks from the 2012 model I had a laugh when I saw this advertisment: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUxCqaU0bu0

topspark
03-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Has anyone had any further response from Jeep on the wk2 recovery points?
Alternatively, is there any after market fix for this yet?
cheers to all

JnK
03-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Has anyone had any further response from Jeep on the wk2 recovery points?
Alternatively, is there any after market fix for this yet?
cheers to all

Have a prowl through this thread......there is information that Jeep have stated the supplied eye bolt is approved for use in a recovery situation.

timbotrog
03-02-2012, 05:11 PM
JnK I hate to say this but using that screw in eye bolt for anything other than flat on road towing you would be taking your life in your hands. I am a qualified rigger and I can tell you that it isn't rated for much weight at all. If it could handle 1 metric ton in total I would be amazed.

zzkazu
03-02-2012, 05:34 PM
They wouldn't hold pussy I'm afraid.

jjgc
03-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Hi topspark. I havn't heard a word vic sales manager said he would let me know when they have a fix, still wating to hear. Peter

mhillman
03-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Have a prowl through this thread......there is information that Jeep have stated the supplied eye bolt is approved for use in a recovery situation.
There is an official statement from Chrysler (below), which is a little ambiguous, but it means that the 'recovery hook' is for on-road use only. It is not suitable for off road recovery.

“ There is now a removable screw in tow eye in place of the front permanently mounted recovery hooks. The tow eye is included with the vehicle jack and is approved for vehicle assistance such as removing a vehicle from the roadside."

jjgc
04-02-2012, 07:59 AM
HI can't fined the thread can you supply more details please Peter

JnK
04-02-2012, 08:04 AM
There is an official statement from Chrysler (below), which is a little ambiguous, but it means that the 'recovery hook' is for on-road use only. It is not suitable for off road recovery.

“ There is now a removable screw in tow eye in place of the front permanently mounted recovery hooks. The tow eye is included with the vehicle jack and is approved for vehicle assistance such as removing a vehicle from the roadside."

The document I referred to is a Dodge Chrysler Jeep National Dealer Bulletin. No 10/2012
It may be sleight of word.....
For those that are interested it states (in part):
"All 2012MY and beyond Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles will no longer come equipped with the fixed front recovery tow hooks. This is due to the Pedestrian Protection requirements of the Australasian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP) rating system, and future potential Australian regulatory requirements (as are in place in Europe).
There is now a removable screw in tow eye in place of the front permanently mounted recovery hooks. The tow eye is included with the vehicle jack and is approved for use in vehicle recovery in off-road situations (as highlighted in the handbook). Refer below for installation instructions.
Note: the vehicle structure where the 2011MY tow hooks were installed has changed substantially; as a result it is not possible to retro-fit the 2011MY tow hooks onto a 2012MY vehicle."

For those that want the bulletin check out my previously posted link.

I agree with the comments the eye looks light, Jeep may be having a bet each way here hoping to put the fires out.

Taking the bulletin on its own - "approved for recovery in off-road situations" is clear.
Reading the handbook (I think Marc's info is from the handbook) and taking their example "removing a vehicle from the roadside" is contrary to general use of "off road" here in Aus (I reckon anyway).
Hmmmm

jjgc
04-02-2012, 08:27 AM
Thanks. Not very happy will thinking about what to do next

asp_777
06-02-2012, 07:51 AM
I agree the screw in "tow" hooks would not be suitable. I know of them being available on other vehicles and look like not suitable for anything more than flat towing. besides I would highly recommend one on each side to expel any weakness in the chassis!
If you're stuck in mud and trying to get pulled upwards, then you'd need to be confident!

jjgc
07-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Hi All Hear is the last email I recieved from State Sales manager very interesting

The factory is not supplying us 2012 Grand Cherokee with the mounting brackets. As mentioned in the last email that due to the
Pedestrian Protection requirements of the Australasian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP) rating system, this is how they come from factory.

Since our first conversation we have been informed from the factory that the tow eye hook can be used for recovery (ie putting on a tray truck)

We have been trying to source someone who can make modifications, that will not affect both ADR & ANCAP requirements but as yet this has not happened. This is an issue that we have raised with the factory to see if they can re-design the front bumper bar, but we keep coming back to the ANCAP issue.

I can confirm that these issues have been raised to the highest level in Australia and USA and we are still in communication about this particular issue. If there are any new developments that will assist in getting tow hooks on the front of your Grand Cherokee, I will let you know.

jeeppleap
08-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Hi All,

I have just been looking into a new car and am very close to settling on the GC as I am impressed with what it has to offer for the price and the ability to take it off-road (mainly beach and sand driving like, stockton and Fraser Island).

However as much as I might rate myself and the car as being 4WD capable it is ridiculous to think that there would never be a situation where the car might get bogged and need to be pulled out from the front.

The dealer I spoke to sent me an email with a note from Product strategy, dated 19 Jan, talking about the Tow eye being suitable for roadside recovery (i.e. not a 4WD recovery). Until there is a solution I don't think I will be able to make the leap to this car (and it seems so right in almost every other way), as that could be a major problem if you got stuck somewhere.

I am not prepared to leap in and hope for a solution as all the references they keep making to Ancap and the changed bumper seems to indicate there is no easy fix and I therefore the solution to this (if any) could become very costly to the owner, so will wait and hope they come up with a solution.

The dealer mentioned there is a new nudge bar which will be available for the MY2012 due in March, but didn't know if they would provide any solution for recovery.

I will watch this forum to see if anything comes up. Keep up the pressure on them as I think the car seems otherwise great.

BobT
11-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Hi All Hear is the last email I recieved from State Sales manager very interesting

The factory is not supplying us 2012 Grand Cherokee with the mounting brackets. As mentioned in the last email that due to the
Pedestrian Protection requirements of the Australasian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP) rating system, this is how they come from factory.

Since our first conversation we have been informed from the factory that the tow eye hook can be used for recovery (ie putting on a tray truck)

We have been trying to source someone who can make modifications, that will not affect both ADR & ANCAP requirements but as yet this has not happened. This is an issue that we have raised with the factory to see if they can re-design the front bumper bar, but we keep coming back to the ANCAP issue.

I can confirm that these issues have been raised to the highest level in Australia and USA and we are still in communication about this particular issue. If there are any new developments that will assist in getting tow hooks on the front of your Grand Cherokee, I will let you know.This is the same waffle I used to write as a public servant. It is code for, "I've passed the buck to somebody else. If something happens, I'll take the credit. If nothing happens, too bad, how sad, not my problem."

zzkazu
14-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Edit sorry answered old post

Dubs
14-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Hi folks, new member here from Perth.
I have been doing some reading as I am looking to move from X5 to a Jeep Cherokee.
I've been trawling for possible parts and came across THIS (http://www.justforjeeps.com/fronttowhooks1.html), would it solve the issue?
*I've got no commercial interest with ANY company either*

Dubs

sege
14-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Hi folks, new member here from Perth.
I have been doing some reading as I am looking to move from X5 to a Jeep Cherokee.
I've been trawling for possible parts and came across THIS (http://www.justforjeeps.com/fronttowhooks1.html), would it solve the issue?
*I've got no commercial interest with ANY company either*

Dubs

I think they will fit the US 2012 models but not the export Euro compliant (also Aus) models due to the chassis rail change where they mount.:wall:

JnK
14-02-2012, 08:00 PM
I think they will fit the US 2012 models but not the export Euro compliant (also Aus) models due to the chassis rail change where they mount.:wall:

Nope, they don't fit the US 2012 either.
It is the front crossmember that has been changed in all the 2012 Jeep grand Cherokees, by reducing the bottom flange width and eliminating the holes that were used to support the front part of the hook.

jjgc
18-02-2012, 08:23 AM
Hi all I have done this with a post on knocking/rattle noise, thought I would do the same with the tow/recovery hooks for GC wk2 to see how many are waiting for a resolution. Please click on jjgc and send me a email with your reg No and a short message where you are at with Chrysler/Jeep. I will post the numbers on this thread.

Thanks Peter

GMWK2
20-02-2012, 09:36 AM
I have had my GC since 23/1/12, which I ordered in September 2011. Obvioulsy I thought I would get recovery hooks like everyone else. I have email, phoned and I have written formally to Chrysler, and taken the matter up with the dealer however havnt got anywhere beyound "we are looking into it".

Due to the lack of response from Chrysler I have lodged a formal complaint with Dept Fair Trading and I have a long written advice from ACCC, but in a nut shell :

WHAT PROTECTIONS CONSUMER GUARANTEES PROVIDE YOU WITH
Consumer guarantees require that:

• goods are of acceptable quality
• goods are fit for their specified purpose
• goods match the description, sample or demonstration model provided
• express warranties that are provided by the trader are met
• consumers have clear title to the goods, free from securities and charges and undisturbed possession.

The DFT and ACCC have a simple on line complaints system and I would encourage everyone to lodge a formal complaint - ACCC will take the matter up if enough people complain.

jjgc
20-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the imfo gregm I went to ACCC and filled out the on line form as you said easy.

zzkazu
20-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the imfo gregm I went to ACCC and filled out the on line form as you said easy.

Anybody got a link...

GMWK2
20-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Try this link to ACCC:

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/54217#h3_37

Use the "General Complaints Form" link on this page

Dept Fair Trading :

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/About_us/Online_services/Lodge_a_complaint.html

GMWK2
20-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Just found this on the Talking Jeep site :

MOPAR CHROME NUDGE BAR
IMPORTANT - JEEP HAVE RELEASED A NEW VERSION OF NUDGE BAR AND FITTING KIT FOR THIS ITEM
New Nudge Bar and Fitting kit has been released - not sure yet if it solves the recovery hook mount issue. Check with your local Jeep Dealer before ordering.
New Version
Fitting Kit 8220WKNBBKA
Nudge Bar K8220WKNB
Old Version
Part Number K8220MKNB
Fitting Kit Part Number K8220WKNBBK (Does not work with front park sensors)
NB: Recovery Hooks Become Ineffective as Nudge Bar is mounted directly to recovery hooks

Anybody know any more about the "New Version".

darthgus
20-02-2012, 11:59 PM
This nudgebar was alternate mounting for the nudgebar as the first one you lost the hooks to put it on... used to use the old mounting holes... so unless the post is new (like the last week) then it was for a different issue.

zzkazu
21-02-2012, 04:42 PM
I like the look of this bar, maybe a solution for front recovery.

http://img.tapatalk.com/ca2e8988-4adb-2e8d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

scarps
22-02-2012, 08:03 AM
I just posted this on another forum. I'm not an engineer, so just a suggestion and I'll try and describe this as best as possible.
Would it be possible for someone to manufacture a front tow hitch (similar to a rear tow bar with the square mouth mount) that would bolt to the chasis on the front left and right side. In effect a tow bar for the front.
Potentially a nudge bar and skid plates could be incorporated as an add on.
The square mouth mount (what I know as a Hayman Reese hitch could then be used with a tow bar recovery hitch insert or even a tow hitch mounted winch.
Leave it with you all but if this does become a solution, I'll bring my truck over.
Scott

timbotrog
22-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Scarps, I have a 2003 WG and I had this link sent to me a week ago. This is the sort of thing you are talking about.
I need one for my Grand.
http://www.fmdoffroad.com/FMD/off-road/mmax.htm
Cheers
Tim

scarps
22-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Scarps, I have a 2003 WG and I had this link sent to me a week ago. This is the sort of thing you are talking about.
I need one for my Grand.
http://www.fmdoffroad.com/FMD/off-road/mmax.htm
Cheers
Tim

Thnx Tim, exactly what I had in mind.
I also found this one.
http://www.4xguard.com/Product/Matrix.html

scarps
22-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Hi All, just received an update from my Fantastic Jeep dealer that a solution for the WK2 Recovery Hook has been built and currently awaiting ADR approval. Suggest you email your dealer for the same update.

GMWK2
22-02-2012, 06:38 PM
I also have the same information - apparently a notification went to dealers today.

This was posted on the Talking Jeep site today (22/2/12) :

Grand Cherokee Recovery Hooks And Nudge Bar 2012
Jeep Australia have informed dealers that they should have a solution for the 2012 Grand Cherokee recovery hook issue. They will be introducing a revised Nudge Bar incorporating a recovery hook and also a stand alone recovery hook. These are apparently being tested for ADR now and once approved should be available in mid April.

My source has advised me that customers will not be generally advised by Chrysler - you will have to ask your dealer. Don't take no for an answer.

At last some positive news!

Scarps - who is your fantastic dealer? I could sure use one!

scarps
22-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Northern Motors in Watsonia Melbourne. Been dealing with them for years with my previous KJ Cherokee

mhillman
27-02-2012, 10:09 PM
I'm glad to see there has been some progress on the recovery hook situation. I lodged my complaint with Chrysler very early on, but I haven't had much communication. It's relieving to see that there should be a solution by April.

Is anybody pursuing tyres? Mine was delivered with All Season, but not All Terrain as per the brouchure. They've been even less communicative on the tyre issue. Anybody had any feedback?

GMWK2
28-02-2012, 12:10 PM
mhillman - I sent a fomal letter to Chrysler on 3/2 in respect of the recovery hooks and tyres (and the lack of owners manual etc) but have not had any reply to date. I also lodged a formal complaint with Dept Fair Trading on 6/2.

While it seems that the recovery hooks is being worked on, Chrysler still havnt confirmed yet that cars will be retro fitted free of charge to my knowledge.

My situation is a bit complicated as I used a broker, but when I ordered I specifically had in writing that I would get AT tyres, notwithstanding the broucher, so Im still pursuing this too.

I've given up taliking to the dealer / Chrysler - Ill be running this through DFT / ACCC from now on.

mhillman
03-03-2012, 12:51 PM
I would recommend that everyone take this issue up with the dealer and Chrysler in the first instance. There's little point in going to ACCC and Dept of Fair Trading until you have exhausted all options with the seller. This is the first question ACCC / Fair Trading will ask.

The tack I have been taking is to claim that without recovery hooks/AT tyres, the car is "not fit for purpose". Only about 10% of people buying a GC actually take them offroad, but in my (and others) case it is clear I'm in that 10% - I ordered the off-road pack. Most clubs have rules that prevent a car being taken offroad without recovery hooks front and rear, and most trips have an AT minimum requirement, so I think the not fit for purpose argument is fairly clearcut.

I'm 90% confident that the recovery hook issue will be resolved with a free nudgebar which incorporates recovery hooks.

Chrysler have been worryingly silent on the tyre issue, although I have heard of one case of a dealer "coming to the party" on tyres. Not sure if this means they paid for them, or they were just supplied at cost.

Keep the pressure on your dealer and Chrysler is the best option.

I'm still waiting for my owners manual, but at least you can get one from the web.

frog_a_lot
05-03-2012, 08:02 AM
Does the tyre issue only affect people who ordered the 'offroad' pack?

I called my dealer about front recovery and got the usual response, "Chrysler/Jeep are aware of the problem and are currently looking into it"

GMWK2
05-03-2012, 11:13 AM
I have a CRD Larado with option adventure pack but the colour brouchure I have states that Larado comes with AT tyres (265/60R18 Kumho) standard. Limited and Overland are noted as All Season.

Tk7
19-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Have an Overland CRD on order, arrives in 2wks (Gold Coast Jeep).Have been aware of the front recovery hook problem, thought Chrysler would of been a little bit more responsive to this problem given 2011 models have them an the increased sales of this model in Australia since 011.Given that jeep may have grabbed a little more of the lurcutive 4wd market in this country they need to continue to progress, car industry is a fickle one, a jeep is a jeep regardless of model they all need to be "trail ready". I'll shall be talking Gold coast jeep.:|

mhillman
20-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Latest information from Chrysler.

Recovery hooks:
By mid-April there will be two solutions on offer:
a. A single recovery hook that fits to the current mounting for the tow hook. Hard to see how this can be sufficiently rated, but if Chrysler says it is - it is.
b. A nudge bar that has two integrated recovery hooks.

They will be available as a spare part through dealerships.

Tyres:

There are 265/60R18 AT available, but be very careful about the load rating. It must be 110. This disqualifies the Goodyear Silent Armor which only has a rating of 109. Running tryes below spec could theoretically invalidate your insurance.

Coupland
21-03-2012, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the update Marc. Guess it will be option B for me.

Was in at the dealer late last week getting the 1k service done and got the usual message 'Jeep Australia has not provided any information on the matter' regarding the recovery hooks.

jjgc
21-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Thanks Marc. Good to get some news been quite for a while. Looks like a buy one get one free deal, I guess the hook will fit on eather side??

mhillman
21-03-2012, 12:12 PM
I have no details of the screw in hook solution. Presumably you could fit 2 (but assumptions are risky with this issue).

darthgus
21-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Re: Tyre sizing

I know of 2 tyres that are AT in 265/60 R18 of sufficient load rating
Coopers A/T3 (110T)
Yokohama Geolandars A-T/S (GO12) (110H)

I havent looked as the BFGoodrich site has not worked for me in the 5 months ive been waiting for my car, but im sure they would have a tyre this size and load rating as well.
Interestingly USA have a silent armor in the 265/60 R18 that has a 112T rating - Amazes me why we in australia we dont have this one available...

If you have a look at here also (http://kumho.com.au/kumho/suv4x4.kh) it clearly states the KL21 Solus tyres are highway terrain, NOT all terrain - This is a pretty simple case of false advertising specially with the Off Road Adventure Pack that specifically says it comes with 265/60 R18 All-terrain Tyres.

mhillman
21-03-2012, 05:56 PM
The other suitable tyre (recommended by Chrysler) is the Hercules Terra Trac ATR 265/60/R18.

jzp
21-03-2012, 06:15 PM

Coopers A/T3 (110T)

I havent looked as the BFGoodrich site has not worked for me in the 5 months ive been waiting for my car, but im sure they would have a tyre this size and load rating as well.
Interestingly USA have a silent armor in the 265/60 R18 that has a 112T rating - Amazes me why we in australia we dont have this one available...

If you have a look at here also (http://kumho.com.au/kumho/suv4x4.kh) it clearly states the KL21 Solus tyres are highway terrain, NOT all terrain - This is a pretty simple case of false advertising specially with the Off Road Adventure Pack that specifically says it comes with 265/60 R18 All-terrain Tyres.

I purchased some BFG rugged terrains - 100% improvement in offroad. Got them from thewheeldeal.com.au

Thommo
21-03-2012, 07:43 PM

Coopers A/T3 (110T)

Be carefull here as the Coopers in 265/60 R18 are passenger car rated not light truck so not much different in construction to the Khumos, check the ply ratings etc. The only 18 they have for offroad is a 275/65 R18 which is 10ply and unfortunately 40mm bigger in diameter.

Tk7
22-03-2012, 07:41 AM

Recovery hooks:
a. A single recovery hook that fits to the current mounting for the tow hook. Hard to see how this can be sufficiently rated, but if Chrysler says it is - it is.

Tyres:

There are 265/60R18 AT available, but be very careful about the load rating. It must be 110. This disqualifies the Goodyear Silent Armor which only has a rating of 109. Running tryes below spec could theoretically invalidate your insurance.
Hmm... front hooks as "spare part" sounds like 2012 grand cherokee owners are going to be hit with part an labour costs for something thats standard on all 4wd

fester
22-03-2012, 10:37 AM
There are not too many 4wds with standard recovery hooks unless that has changed in last couple of years. About the only one I would call acceptable is the Nissan hook and last time I owned one it was one side only. I would not call the loops on 80 & 100 series cruisers recovery points. Not sure about newer prados, 200's, mitsubishis etc. big issue we looked into as 4wd club committee few years ago. The only thing Jeep is really behind with is suitable mounting points compared the Japs not do much provision itself

GMWK2
22-03-2012, 03:23 PM
The only thing Jeep is really behind with is suitable mounting points

Exactly.

A pretty serious thing to be behind in!

Savvas
22-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Be carefull here as the Coopers in 265/60 R18 are passenger car rated not light truck so not much different in construction to the Khumos, check the ply ratings etc. The only 18 they have for offroad is a 275/65 R18 which is 10ply and unfortunately 40mm bigger in diameter.

Yep, I'm aware of that.

You typically cant get a 60 series tyre in LT. Though it wasnt long ago that you couldnt get an LT in in 65 series either.

Savvas
22-03-2012, 03:33 PM
There are not too many 4wds with standard recovery hooks unless that has changed in last couple of years. About the only one I would call acceptable is the Nissan hook and last time I owned one it was one side only. I would not call the loops on 80 & 100 series cruisers recovery points. Not sure about newer prados, 200's, mitsubishis etc. big issue we looked into as 4wd club committee few years ago. The only thing Jeep is really behind with is suitable mounting points compared the Japs not do much provision itself

Jeep will actually be ahead if they get a proper recovery point out there, even if it's an add-on.

Prados havent had a proper recovery point since the 120 was released, and I believe the situation is the same with Pajeros.

Nissan is probably the last to provide proper points, though maybe Land Rover does too.

fester
23-03-2012, 01:24 PM
That's pretty clear now as I've just seen in last magazine out ArB ad for specific recovery kit packages for newer rigs. So they have obviously identified a need and marketing opportunity. In the club we had a lot of trouble with getting people to take recovery points seriously especially the Toyota crowd who seemed to think the factory tie town loops were the ducks nuts. I suppose when your s#%t don't stink you can think anything.
If only someone like ARB would concentrate on a real bar for them as well.

GMWK2
26-03-2012, 01:07 PM
though maybe Land Rover does too

Yes - my brother has a 2011 Disco 4 and it has a properly rated recovery point in the centre front under the bumper.

GMWK2
26-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Lucky my GC has a recovery point on the rear...

I popped a falcon ute out of a muddy paddock on Friday night. He had driven off a gravel carpark into some long grass which turned out to be very muddy and got himself stuck to the door sills. I was able to back up to him and drag him out by his tow bar.

My GC did it easy.

darthgus
26-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Chrysler have been worryingly silent on the tyre issue, although I have heard of one case of a dealer "coming to the party" on tyres. Not sure if this means they paid for them, or they were just supplied at cost.

I got my car delivered today, and I was lucky enough to negotiate All-Terrain tyres after quite a few emails back and forth with the dealer. (like 20 odd). I ordered my car mid Oct 2011 so at the time the brochure stated All-Terrain tyres with the Off Road pack. I beleive end of Jan 2012 this now states All-Season tyres.

Conversation started when I asked what All-Terrains that the car was coming with the Off Road pack as stated in the brochure. They said it comes with the Kumhos and that they were All-Terrains, once I pointed out they werent it was oh well thats what Chrysler/Jeep Australia provide us for brochures and that what they provide with the car - Take it up with them.

They offered to swap the tyres over to Coopers A/T3 for $1400 which I scoffed at, as I wasnt getting what I had already paid for (I ordered a laredo with the Off Road Adventure pack)

I offered to pay $500 to get the tyres changed as I didnt really want to go to consumer affairs, I kind of wanted it dealt with there and then.

Still no go, dealer was not interested at all, then a copy of the email trail to Crysler/Jeep Australia and to the Dealer Principal of the dealership, saying ok ill pick up the car as is and ill deal with this through Consumer Affairs (Had given the dealer every chance to fix this problem, and I shouldnt be needing to go to Jeep Australia as a customer of a dealership - THEY should have a good relationship with the importer/manufacturer to sort this shit out). I just stated about False/Misleading advertising and the fact that any description of something you buy must be accurate and match what is delivered. (As per the trade practices act)

Within an hour the Dealer had spoken with Jeep and Jeep Australia footed the bill to change the tyres to the Coopers A/T 3. They wanted to put on the Terra Trac tyres I beleive that someone else mentioned in this thread, but the dealer talked them up to the Coopers.

So within the space of an hr I was never going to be returning to the dealer to have them finally fight for me and regain a little respect back for me.

I didnt even approach the recovery point issue as the tyre replacement cost was much greater and wanted this solely focused on to start with. Once Jeep Aust come out with the actual part, and officially say what they are doing (ie putting them on for nothing, or will be charging) then I will start to investigate getting a recovery point sorted out as well.

asp_777
27-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Is this what you guys are after>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-JEEP-GRAND-CHEROKEE-FRONT-TOW-HOOKS-Hook-Set-with-Hardware-Kit-Production-/400271229526?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AJeep&hash=item5d32064256&vxp=mtr

JnK
27-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Is this what you guys are after>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-JEEP-GRAND-CHEROKEE-FRONT-TOW-HOOKS-Hook-Set-with-Hardware-Kit-Production-/400271229526?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AJeep&hash=item5d32064256&vxp=mtr

Won't fit the 2012's as the front crossmember is different to the 2011 hence the angst.....lots of posts on this.....

Gazz1958
27-03-2012, 07:00 PM

Recovery hooks:

Tyres:

Thanks Mac my GC 2012 Overland arrives in early June

GMWK2
28-03-2012, 09:12 AM
I have now had Cooper AT/3 fitted to my GC free of charge after Dept Fair Trading got involved on my behalf. A long drawn out affair with Chysler and the dealer but I got there in the end.

I'll hang fire on the recovery hooks until mid April...

Amused
28-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Just a quick note on the tyre issue. Two weeks ago I noted that the tyres fitted to my new GC were not all-terrain as specified and complained to the dealer. 24 emails over the course of a day between myself and the Dealer Principal of a very large multi-brand dealership here in Adelaide and I had the problem sorted - 5 brand new Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tyres fitted at no cost to me. These are recommended by Jeep Australia and I have that in writing so any issue of fitness for purpose or rating for insurance purposes is now their issue.

Simply, Jeep tried hard to argue that the Kuhmo Solus tyre was an all-terrain tyre and that they had just renamed it - complete bullshit!

cghoffy
12-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Had a E-Mail from ECB regarding availabillty of a Alluminium Bullbar for the GC WK2 2012 they have come up with a mounting brackets that incorporate recovery hooks accessable through holes in the bull bar bumper but they state they are " unrated" I checked back with them about this they replyed they can be used for recovery aslong as you spread the load between the 2 Hooks check out this Link http://www.ecb.com.au/vehicle.php?Model=51&variant=966&Make=15

Savvas
13-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Hi guys,

I'd appreciate if someone wouldn't mind getting under their GC and checking a measurement.

The problem is that the front holes for mounting the hook have been removed. But I believe the holes further back, for mounting the bracket are still there. Can someone check on a 2012 model what the centre to centre measurement is for the holes, and also what size thread they might be?

I've attached a diagram indicating which measurement I'm talking about.

I'm working on options outside the Chrysler ones, and will let everyone know if I manage to come up with something.

superchicken
13-04-2012, 09:02 AM
As of yesterday a fix for the nudge bar on the 2012's was in production. I am hopeing this will include a recovery hook option.
We should know in a few weeks.

mhillman
13-04-2012, 09:11 AM
The nudge bar does include at least one recovery hook.
I have a set of new 2011 front recovery hooks for sale - $200. I'm sure someone more mechanically minded than me can adapt them to the 2012 model. All that's needed is a bit of additional angle iron.

Savvas
13-04-2012, 09:38 AM
I have a set of new 2011 front recovery hooks for sale - $200. I'm sure someone more mechanically minded than me can adapt them to the 2012 model. All that's needed is a bit of additional angle iron.

I agree with you on that. I think someone that's handy with cutting and folding sheet metal can fabricate a plate that bolts underneath the hook bracket, using the existing holes, and can then be used to stabilise the front hook mounts. And this can be done without drilling the front cross member.

I was wondering what other hooks might fit here. For example if the holes are at 55mm centres, then there's a good chance that the rated hooks from the front or rear of a Holden Jackaroo would bolt straight in.

There's also the front tow hooks of the older 42-06 CJ or Wrangler that might fit.

Just guessing at the moment.

Jasman
13-04-2012, 02:45 PM
As of yesterday a fix for the nudge bar on the 2012's was in production. I am hopeing this will include a recovery hook option.
We should know in a few weeks.

Is this official?

timbotrog
13-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Stupid question, but I'm really good at those :P, but in that image that savvas posted why not just drill out the corresponding holes in the frame and tap them for the required bolts? Adding a plate to for strengthening would probably be required but it doesn't look that difficult.

Savvas
13-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Stupid question, but I'm really good at those :P, but in that image that savvas posted why not just drill out the corresponding holes in the frame and tap them for the required bolts? Adding a plate to for strengthening would probably be required but it doesn't look that difficult.

The flange on that crossmember has apparently been narrowed down so you cant drill and tap it.

fester
13-04-2012, 06:53 PM
When you say narrowed down which way do you mean. You are talking about the section marked with the deleted holes. What's that large bolt to the side or the crossmember underneath. Looks like scope for various options. Can we drill right through where the original holes were and sleeve and sandwich that mounting and also tie into the front to back facing ones that you want the spacing of.

Tk7
18-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Hi guys,

I'd appreciate if someone wouldn't mind getting under their GC and checking a measurement.

The problem is that the front holes for mounting the hook have been removed. But I believe the holes further back, for mounting the bracket are still there. Can someone check on a 2012 model what the centre to centre measurement is for the holes, and also what size thread they might be?

I'm working on options outside the Chrysler ones, and will let everyone know if I manage to come up with something.
Just check out my 2012 overland front hook senario. Without dropping the front air dam again as i did the other day.To me the best option would be unbolt the existing screw in bracket for hook an replace it with a stronger piece of angle which incorparates hook as one piece.It would also mean doing away with window section at front air dam, this would be no biggy as the finish look would be identical to 2011 GC although there would be only one hook as the other side is different an not sure if one can be fitted there.Anyway im not at work tomorrow so will pull front dam off an confirm exactly whats possible, will keep you posted

Tk7
18-04-2012, 03:07 PM

Will nudge bar interfear with vehicles front end senses?

mhillman
18-04-2012, 03:52 PM
I have a set (2) of new MOPAR front recovery hooks for sale if anyone is thinking of adapting them (a la Tk7) to a 2012. They cost me $270 landed. Yours for $200. PM me.

Tk7
19-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Hi guys,

Hi mate,have checked out those hole centres they are M10x120mm centres.Now the recovery screw in hook on the RH side screws into a cleat which is bolted through these 2 holes (at 120mm centres) even this set up is a bit on the light side of things as a recovery for a tow truckee gettin your vehicle on to its trailer, im not engineer but i work along side a few an i know what they might say. Then again one can only assume Jeep have done there sums.Now the difference between a recovery hook an off road tow hook you only have to go to the rear(my2012 vehicle) my hook is bolted to a cleat with 2xM16mm bolts an the cleat itself is bolt to the chassis by 4xM16mm bolts, the cleat has a right angle so 2 bolts horizonal plane, 2 bolts vertical plane an also has a support strut at front of cleat which probabiy not necessary.Big difference, rear setup is super strong, it has to be. Unfortunately 2011 front end hooks are not going to fit the front end of 2012 or any kind of mod to the hook itself. I'm looking at the 2 existing holes at the front both sides, there needs to be 2 more holes, possiblely on the angle rib that folds down A angle cleat made up which incorparates the hook which will poke out the front like the WK2 2011.A minimum of 4 bolts i would think an really the 2 xM10 are a bit light.Engineer friend of mind is have a look at your diagram an doing some figures. I'll get back to you when has somthing .

JnK
19-04-2012, 08:10 PM
I did some checking on a 2010 VW Touareg at the weekend - owned by a fried who does a bit of off road with it.
His vehicle uses a screw in tow hook at the front in a similar manner to the WK2, however the shank part for the screw in thread is only around 60mm long against around 180 for the Jeep.
For recovery he has a letter from VWA stating that 2 hooks should be used (1 on each side at the front) - connected to a bridle, then to any strap or cable. Seems VWA are satisfied with their mounting on the Touareg however they do require the splitting of forces through the use of a bridle.
My feeling is that this would be a sensible idea for the WK2 in any event.

Savvas
19-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Hi mate,have checked out those hole centres they are M10x120mm centres.Now the recovery screw in hook on the RH side screws into a cleat which is bolted through these 2 holes (at 120mm centres) even this set up is a bit on the light side of things as a recovery for a tow truckee gettin your vehicle on to its trailer, im not engineer but i work along side a few an i know what they might say. Then again one can only assume Jeep have done there sums.Now the difference between a recovery hook an off road tow hook you only have to go to the rear(my2012 vehicle) my hook is bolted to a cleat with 2xM16mm bolts an the cleat itself is bolt to the chassis by 4xM16mm bolts, the cleat has a right angle so 2 bolts horizonal plane, 2 bolts vertical plane an also has a support strut at front of cleat which probabiy not necessary.Big difference, rear setup is super strong, it has to be. Unfortunately 2011 front end hooks are not going to fit the front end of 2012 or any kind of mod to the hook itself. I'm looking at the 2 existing holes at the front both sides, there needs to be 2 more holes, possiblely on the angle rib that folds down A angle cleat made up which incorparates the hook which will poke out the front like the WK2 2011.A minimum of 4 bolts i would think an really the 2 xM10 are a bit light.Engineer friend of mind is have a look at your diagram an doing some figures. I'll get back to you when has somthing .

Thanks Tk7.

With any kind of vehicle where the construction is unibody, it would be preferable to have an equalising strap to do recovery work.

I might just wait and see what this new solution that Jeep is about to release looks like before doing any more on this.

Tk7
20-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Thanks Tk7.

With any kind of vehicle where the construction is unibody, it would be preferable to have an equalising strap to do recovery work.

I might just wait and see what this new solution that Jeep is about to release looks like before doing any more on this.

Yes, I think jeep have 2 solutions on the way, one front hook, or nudge bar with one hook

timbotrog
20-04-2012, 11:04 PM
I did some checking on a 2010 VW Touareg at the weekend - owned by a fried who does a bit of off road with it.
His vehicle uses a screw in tow hook at the front in a similar manner to the WK2, however the shank part for the screw in thread is only around 60mm long against around 180 for the Jeep.
For recovery he has a letter from VWA stating that 2 hooks should be used (1 on each side at the front) - connected to a bridle, then to any strap or cable. Seems VWA are satisfied with their mounting on the Touareg however they do require the splitting of forces through the use of a bridle.
My feeling is that this would be a sensible idea for the WK2 in any event.

I have been a qualified rigger for the past 14 years and I can tell you right now that using those screw in front "tow points" is the quickest and easiest way to kill or mame someone!
They are purely for ON ROAD TOWING on to a tow truck or similar no matter if God himself sent an email saying they were fit for the purpose of off road recovery.
They are not and never have been rated for that kind of work. It's only half a step above using a snatch strap around a tow ball to recover someone.
A car manufacturers idea of "off road recovery" is to pull a car onto a tow truck that is not on tarmac, not to snatch out of bog hole, mud pit etc. A perfect example of this are Jeep themselves with the new WK2 GC. That screw in point is only for "recovery" onto a tow truck or similar.
I'm not knocking your mates Touareg, but they are at best a "large soft roader" designed to ferry the kids to school and into the shopping center carpark.
I have two points on the front of my 2003 WG that connect directly to the chassis but are only tie down points. I would never consider using them for recovery as they would never be able to handle the strain.
Cheers
Tim

Bomber
21-04-2012, 12:45 AM
snip
I have two points on the front of my 2003 WG that connect directly to the chassis but are only tie down points. I would never consider using them for recovery as they would never be able to handle the strain.
Cheers
Tim

Unless you are describing something different, the tow points on the front of a WG are rated for recovery and are the official recovery points. You just need to make sure you use a rated shackle. Of course, a WK2 is a different matter....

mutchie
27-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Just read in another post link http://www.expeditionportal.com/vehicles-testing/963-field-test-2012-jeep-grand-cherokee-overland.html abt US WK recovery hooks on the front see the pic at bottom of story.
Tried to upload but wrong file extension.

Gazz1958
29-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Are there any pictures of the nudge bar solution? My Overland is due early June and I have raised the issue with the dealer and he thinks it will be "available" by then

GMWK2
30-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Just wondering if anyone has heard from either their dealer or Chrysler over the last week regarding a timeframe for the recovery hooks - I think it has been generally understood that mid April was the target, but there is a silence at the moment.

Has anyone actually had the new recovery hooks fitted yet?

scarps
30-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Just wondering if anyone has heard from either their dealer or Chrysler over the last week regarding a timeframe for the recovery hooks - I think it has been generally understood that mid April was the target, but there is a silence at the moment.

Has anyone actually had the new recovery hooks fitted yet?

I've emailed my dealer last Friday and currently awaiting a reply.

jjgc
01-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Got a email from Jeep Australia on 12 April ..... Should have tow hooks in the next few weeks. Once we have them will be sending them to dealerships and they will be in contact me .... So should be very soon i hope.

GMWK2
02-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Just got and email direct from Chrysler :

"I have been advised that the arrival of this new part is approx 2-3 weeks away."

That makes it mid to late May at best.

Keep holding your breath...

mm1964
08-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Just got and email direct from Chrysler :

"I have been advised that the arrival of this new part is approx 2-3 weeks away."

That makes it mid to late May at best.

Keep holding your breath...

Does anyone know if this or these new part/s are being provided free to customers who ordered the WK/WK2 last year before it was known they had deleted the front recovery hooks from the WK2?

I'm at a loss. Dealer says the one screw in tow eye replaced the two tow hooks and when I contacted Jeep Australia they refused to comment stating I need to take the matter up with the dealer and not them as the dealer misrepresented the car when I ordered it back in November 2011!!!!

scarps
08-05-2012, 12:33 PM
My understanding from my local dealer is that it depends on the date you ordered and whether you were given a brochure showing them on or not, or advised that they're standard, or an option or not.
Your sales brochure is the key. Are they listed as standard or were they crossed out, or do you have a new brochure showing them as an option.

I've picked my new Laredo up, couldn't be happier with the truck and the dealer wrote on my pickup receipt that the recovery hook is to be supplied and fitted free of charge as soon as available.
The delay here in getting them is my only beef..still waiting and haven't really tried the truck off road as yet.

In my case it was very clear in all initial discussion and emails that I intended to use the new Laredo off road. (Jeep 4WD Club etc)
At no time during the course of the sale, nor subsequent to the delivery was I ever advised that these were an optional extra.
Having said that, I did order first week in November last year at at that time dealers were not aware of the change to no recovery hooks / altered front chasis rail.

If Jeep did advise the dealer of the change, then the dealer is responsible for 'not advising me' prior to purchase. If you fit into this category, suggest you stand your ground with your dealer. I didn't have to get angry. Just had a rational discussion with the salesman.

If Jeep did not advise the dealer, then I can only assume that that's between the dealer and Jeep to sort out. Still suggest a rational discussion is first option as most dealers are very proud of this new range.

Dealer also advised me that since the problem was cleared up/advised late last year, they have been advising customers that recovery hooks are not supplied as standard and if you intend to use off road, then the new RH's would be supplied as an add on option, cost to be confirmed.

I also understand that there is a recovery hook and a nudge bar/recovery point option.

At the end of the day, all I can suggest is have the discussion with your dealer. It's in their favour to have a happy customer and I don't think we're talking about 000's of $$ here.

mhillman
08-05-2012, 01:16 PM
I suggest you persist with Jeep direct. The dealer did not misrepresent the car - Chrysler did, by not advising dealers of the change. Chrysler provides the incorrect brouchures.

It's my understanding that if you ordered your car BEFORE the deletion of recovery hooks and tyre change was known, i.e. Dec 2011, Chrysler will supply:

1. A set of All-terrain tyres, and
2. Either a nudge bar incorporating a recovery hook, or a rated recovery hook to replace the current tow hook.

I have item 1. and am eagerly awaiting item 2.

My case was particualrly strong as I also ordered bash plates and rock rails, so it was pretty clear it was my intention to go offroad.

The dealer should know all this and be able to direct you to the right place in Chrysler.

mm1964
08-05-2012, 03:14 PM
My understanding from my local dealer is that it depends on the date you ordered and whether you were given a brochure showing them on or not, or advised that they're standard, or an option or not.
Your sales brochure is the key. Are they listed as standard or were they crossed out, or do you have a new brochure showing them as an option.

Having said that, I did order first week in November last year at at that time dealers were not aware of the change to no recovery hooks / altered front chasis rail.

If Jeep did advise the dealer of the change, then the dealer is responsible for 'not advising me' prior to purchase. If you fit into this category, suggest you stand your ground with your dealer. I didn't have to get angry. Just had a rational discussion with the salesman.

If Jeep did not advise the dealer, then I can only assume that that's between the dealer and Jeep to sort out. Still suggest a rational discussion is first option as most dealers are very proud of this new range.

I also understand that there is a recovery hook and a nudge bar/recovery point option.

I was initially given a 2011 brochure and then a 2012 brochure. I've checked them and neither one mentions the front or rear tow hooks at all. I was also provided a brochure of the changes in the 2012 model. Again, there is no mention of tow hooks nor that the front tow/recovery hooks had been deleted.

I ordered 10 Nov and signed the contract 19 Nov. On the 19th the salesman specifically pointed out the front recovery hooks stating the vehicle we were purchasing would have them - if my memory is correct this was specifically pointed out by him as I noticed some vehicles had them but one or two did not (they possibly had 2012 already).

On collection of the vehicle last month I immediately raised it to the dealer pointing out I purchased a 4WD with intentions of engaging in offroad adventures with 4WD clubs and he clearly stated words to the effect of Chrylser issued them with a notice that the screw in tow eye was equivalent to and the replacement for the two recovery hooks.

Jeep Australia have stated to me that the dealers were informed in Jan 2012 of the missing recovery hooks so really it is Jeeps problem and the dealers problem but they both are making out it is my problem. Regardless of that though I will address the matter more formally now to the dealer.

What a great car and this experience on top of paint issues and a navigation system that sends you round the world to get to your destination is beginning to have me regret recommending others to purchase the vehicle. Hopefully this changes though.

GMWK2
08-05-2012, 03:30 PM
mm1964

I assure you that Chrysler head office know all about this issue (as do the dealers) and if you cannot get anywhere with your dealer go direct to Jeep - don't take no for an answer. If you need to, lodge a formal complaint with Dept Fair Trading.

While the brochure does not specifically mention the tow hooks - look at the photos. In the brochure I have you can clearly see them in several photos and diagrams.

North Coast Wrangler
08-05-2012, 06:59 PM
On the back page of your brochure does it also state

"All product illustrations and specifications are based upon current information at the time of publication approval. Although descriptions are believed
correct, accuracy cannot be guaranteed. Chrysler Group LLC reserves the right to make changes from time to time, without notice or obligation, in
prices, specifications, colours, materials and to change or discontinue models. See your dealer for details. Jeep, Grand Cherokee, Mopar, Overland,
Quadra-Trac II, Quadra-Drive, Sentry Key, VES and the Jeep Grille are registered trademarks and Uconnect is a registered trademark of Chrysler Group
LLC. Bluetooth is a registered trademark of Bluetooth SIG, Inc. iPod is a registered trademark of Apple, inc. Alpine is a registered trademark of Alpine
Electronics, Inc. All rights reserved."

Don't bank on using your brochure as proof they should or shouldn't of provided anything.

Tet
09-05-2012, 03:49 AM
Owned 2 new Jeeps of the show room floor and Jeep just does not get it!!!! Customer service Nil, after sales Nil, roadside assistance Nil and spare parts don't start me!! as long as you have many small children to sacrifice you'll be OK. But the sad part is I'm like a drug addict I'm thinking of replacing my WG crd with a New WK2 crd Limited, after reading this posting???????? FIAT start sacking Jeeps problem people!

GMWK2
09-05-2012, 08:42 AM
"All product illustrations and specifications are based upon current information at the time of publication approval. Although descriptions are believed
correct, accuracy cannot be guaranteed. Chrysler Group LLC reserves the right to make changes from time to time, without notice or obligation, in
prices, specifications, colours, materials and to change or discontinue models. See your dealer for details. Jeep, Grand Cherokee, Mopar, Overland,
Quadra-Trac II, Quadra-Drive, Sentry Key, VES and the Jeep Grille are registered trademarks and Uconnect is a registered trademark of Chrysler Group
LLC. Bluetooth is a registered trademark of Bluetooth SIG, Inc. iPod is a registered trademark of Apple, inc. Alpine is a registered trademark of Alpine
Electronics, Inc. All rights reserved."

All sorts of companies put disclaimers on their products - fact is a lot of it is bluff and they know it.

Here is a quote from advice I received from ACCC, which administers consumer law :

"Consumer guarantees require that:

• consumers have clear title to the goods, free from securities and charges and undisturbed possession."

When I looked at demonstrators in the dealers yards when I ordered my WK in September 2011, they had recovery hooks.

Also, as far as I am concerned, the recovery hooks are fundamental in respect of fit for purpose as a 4x4. What if jeep deleted the windscreen from 2012 models - could they hide behind the disclaimer? Of course not! The recovery hooks are no different.

The dislaimer on the brochure is meaningless.

mm1964
09-05-2012, 10:58 AM
All sorts of companies put disclaimers on their products - fact is a lot of it is bluff and they know it.

Here is a quote from advice I received from ACCC, which administers consumer law :

"Consumer guarantees require that:

• consumers have clear title to the goods, free from securities and charges and undisturbed possession."

When I looked at demonstrators in the dealers yards when I ordered my WK in September 2011, they had recovery hooks.

Also, as far as I am concerned, the recovery hooks are fundamental in respect of fit for purpose as a 4x4. What if jeep deleted the windscreen from 2012 models - could they hide behind the disclaimer? Of course not! The recovery hooks are no different.

The dislaimer on the brochure is meaningless.

Fully agree. Also some brochures outline "What's changed in 2012MY" and there is no mention of deleting the two recovery hooks nor the fact that we would have no option whatsoever to fit recovery hooks.

And regardless of what the brochure says, in my instance the salesman specifically stated my vehicle would have the two front recovery hooks when I queried seeing a vehicle in the car yard without them.

What bugs me the most is being told by the dealer when I collected the vehicle that the screw in tow eye can be used for recovery and the fact that Chrylser/Jeep Australia refuse to clarify that statement to me.

Actually what bugs me the most is I have a great bloody car but this issue is ruining the experience of purchasing and owning this vehicle (my 1st 4WD) that limits me to what sort of off-roading I can perform without risk of either maiming someone who may come to assist or damaging the car or even losing it completely. ie getting bogged on a beach with an incoming tide.

mm1964
09-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Are there any pictures of the nudge bar solution? My Overland is due early June and I have raised the issue with the dealer and he thinks it will be "available" by then

I doubt the nudge bar solution is of use on the overland unless that is you give up all parking senses. That's on the assumption the front senses can't be disabled alone.

scarps
09-05-2012, 12:53 PM
My dealer's been excellent, but right now for the first time, I'm not getting replies to my messages and emails on 'What's the delay?'

Suggest it's time to ramp up the Facebook Feedback again all.

Doesn't have to be nasty, just ask the simple question "Hi Jeep Australia -Love my new Jeep. What's the delay on the WK2 2012 Front Recovery Hooks?"

Facebook is a public forum. Is read by potential customers and can't be ignored by Jeep Aus Marketing department.

Turn up the heat till we get an appropriate and acceptable reply.

scarps
09-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Further to my last post, my dealer has just provided me an update from Jeep Australia. Late May availability.................
Lucky I love my new Jeep as many do, but I'm not going to let this one go as I will now have to wait for post Winter to go 4WD'ing as most of the Vic High Country closes for Winter. Yes there are many other places I can go, but not the point Jeep Australia.......

GMWK2
09-05-2012, 02:21 PM
Agree. Ive had my Jeep since January and havnt been able to use it 4x4 as I would have liked pending some recovery hooks. I've had to keep my old Mits Challenger in the interim, which is now up for rego and a service. So it is costing me money. And taking up garage space. Grrr.

scarps
12-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Got an odd Facebook reply from Jeep Australia yesterday saying as soon as they have an update on the 2012 WK2 receovery hooks and timing, they'll let us know. Seems odd seeing that so many dealers had been telling us they were due two weeks ago.
I smell a rat. Why can't Jeep Australia say sorry for the delay and inconvenience, they're currently in production and due in 10 days time?

Anyone else think this is now being dragged out? Why?

josh333
14-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Its just a joke mate! They need to hurry up and rectify the issue and for people like myself who purchased on (Laredo CRD) with the belief that the hooks were standard, they should be supplied for free!

Jasman
15-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Is anyone else starting to think there might be a bigger issue here?

Is there a chance they can't get the fix ADR approved? I have no idea about ADR's but I would have thought Jeep would have heaps of engineers available to easily address the issue.

scarps
15-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Is anyone else starting to think there might be a bigger issue here?

Is there a chance they can't get the fix ADR approved? I have no idea about ADR's but I would have thought Jeep would have heaps of engineers available to easily address the issue.

Yep, agree. Starting to smell a rat..............as many as possible need to keep the pressure on this.

scarps
17-05-2012, 03:42 PM
It's taken me a while to solve, but when I stepped back and looked for possible solutions, I suddenly realised the answer to this conundrum was right under my nose all the time.
Cost me $5k, plus annual registration and insurance costs, but at least I can go off road this weekend.

Sadly, my fantastic new WK2 Laredo Deisel will have to be just like Jim's first horse in 'Man from Snowy River'.
No, not shot. Just left in the corral at home looking pretty.

scarps
19-05-2012, 08:46 AM
I've just posted the following on 'my personal' Facebook page and up to you if you want to do something similar.

Hi to all my FB Friends. I need your help if possible.
I've bought a fantastic new car that I've waited several months for and it's a cracker. The only problem I've got is they failed to deliver a fairly integral part called 'front recovery hooks' and without these means I can't take the car off road, which was one of the main reasons I bought this car. Jeep Australia have known about this problem for 4 months now and despite many efforts to get a straight answer, all I get is 'we're looking into a solution'. I'm not the only new Jeep buyer with this problem, there are 100's of us, but clearly not enough to make Jeep listen and respond.
How can you help?
What would be great is if you and as many of your friends as possible could support us to send Jeep Australia a bigger message and go onto their FB page and each of you post a comment something like mine.
Hey Jeep Australia, what's happening with the 2012 WK2 Front Recovery Hooks? Try and change the wording a bit if possible for each post. Thnx

Thommo
19-05-2012, 02:17 PM
I've just posted the following on 'my personal' Facebook page and up to you if you want to do something similar.

Hey Jeep Australia, what's happening with the 2012 WK2 Front Recovery Hooks? Try and change the wording a bit if possible for each post. Thnx

Done on JEEP FB

scarps
19-05-2012, 02:21 PM
Done on JEEP FB

Thnx,
I notice no posts have been removed today, so wondering if their FB administrator only works on Monday to Friday.

Would be good if they get back on Monday to hundreds of posts about this item.

scarps
20-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Hi to all,
Spent another weekend at home while my friends were out 4WD'ing so I have emailed my dealer this weekend advising that I will be patient until the 31st May, but not past that date. On the 1st June 2012, should a solution to the missing front recovery points not be available to be installed on my 2012 WK2 Laredo, or some form of compensation made good, I will commence action available to me as an Australian Consumer.

The stance I will be taking is on 'misleading advertising and my vehicle being unfit for use as described at time of sale'. The fact behind this is that I am unable to participate in 4WD trips with friends and colleagues as my vehicle is not rated for use off road as per club and reasonable safety guidelines.

In addition I have email, sales brochure and photographic evidence that will be used that clearly shows I discussed and purchased this particular vehicle from my dealer with the knowledge that it was to be used off road, and that all visual and printed evidence supported my expectation that this vehicle would be 'fit for use' as was sold to me at the time. At no time did my dealer advise that this vehicle could not be used off road.

As I have mentioned in previous communications, my dealer has been nothing but professional and great to deal with for the last 10 years, but as the seller of the item, they are the point of contact.
At no time was I unhappy with the extended delivery period (5months from order to delivery) as this was always clear in my mind. What's turned me to frustration now is the time taken to resolve this issue past my delivery date.
Further, I have a copy of an email originating from Jeep Australia dated 9th May which clearly states that the Front Recovery Hooks still have not been built yet.

Ultimately if my expectation as a consumer is not met and this action proceeds, any dealer will want to check their records that Jeep Australia 'did or did not advise dealers prior to my purchase in Nov 2011 that recovery hooks were being removed from the 2012 WK2 models.
As I also now understand the changes to the chasis and front recovery points would have been made and known early in 2011 in preparation for the factories retool each year for next year's model, sometime around now.
Scott

JnK
20-05-2012, 12:39 PM
In September at the time we ordered our Laredo CRD the hooks were on the demo vehicle and we specifically discussed the fact with the salesman that there were 2 at the front and 1 at the rear, and this was standard.
We were faced with a 5 month wait at the time and were told we would get the 2012 model but no mention the hooks would be deleted.
In early November when checking some details at a dealer in Victoria I happened on a 2012 that had just arrived and noticed no hooks. It was explained to me then that they had been deleted "due to pedestrian regulations" and that the removable hook stored with the tyre was the replacement.
It seems to me based on my experience that as soon as the 2012 models landed dealers were becoming aware and were provided with an explanation - whatever that process was I haven't a clue..
Given my cynical view of salesmen we dealt with during the looking and making up our mind process I think that many simply didn't know and didn't care.
I did document with our dealer at delivery that the deletion of the hooks was an issue and I'm still in the wait stage.
Probably an example of the dealer apathy and lack of interest in the issue is the fact that when the tow bar was fitted the technician removed the rear tow hook and left it off. When I raised the point the response was "we do that with all of them - no-one else has complained".

scarps
20-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Thnx Jnk,
Pretty sure that I have my dealers attention on this item as I have now received 2 emails over the weekend. One from the dealer principle who is actually overseas and one from his general manager.
I noticed you are also on the Caravaners Forum?
I'm not registered there just yet as we're still in the hunt for the 'right caravan'.
Are you able to update your colleagues there that it's time to ramp up the pressure and deadline on this item.
As I mention below, I was being reasonable until read an email that on the 9th of May, no recovery hools had been built to date. Not saying that they haven't been designed, but enough is enough.
They were happy to take the order and my $$ with a promise of 2 weeks to be fitted.

JnK
20-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Yep, although I think the majority of the caravan folk relate to their choice of a WK2 as a tow and general drive - the issue of hooks or no doesn't come up - just a different crowd.
That said I 've gained some handy info there over time....

scarps
20-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Yep, although I think the majority of the caravan folk relate to their choice of a WK2 as a tow and general drive - the issue of hooks or no doesn't come up - just a different crowd.
That said I've gained some handy info there over time....

Yep and there in lies part of us 4WD'rs dilemna. It's a great 4WD as long as you don't want to take it off road with a 4WD club. For those of us that this impacts, we've clearly been misled.
Anyway for now it's back in my dealer's hands with a deadline for resolution, end of May 2012.

fester
20-05-2012, 06:45 PM
I feel for you guys and have been watching this of late as we have been contemplating a new 4wd, keeping my WG for me and getting the WK2 for the wife's car and our main camping rig. She loved car especially after talking to locals who bought one couple of weeks ago. This issue is not being made clear by dealers as they thought they had recovery points on the car till I told them otherwise. Unless theirs is a rare new one that has them.

Anyway this is enough for me to wipe my hands of new Jeeps, I won't be buying a new Grand due to the hooks and I won't be buying any other new model (JK would suit me) given Jeeps attention to service. I'm back in talks with Nissan for the family car, although I will keep the WG for my play toy.
Gavin

P.S. fell free to copy and paste to Facebook but I won't be adding myself as I don't do Facebook.

P.P.S. what is the current laws regarding recovery points. Is there a specific thing to cover it given the lack of factory hooks on other brands that have to be dealt with aftermarket or DIY. I know you shouldn't have to but you would have more success getting something personally engineered to suit.

mutchie
21-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Recently spoke to the Service Manager at local Jeep dealer about (lack of) recovery hooks on our 2012 Limited and he said he knew nothing about the issue and I was the first to raise the matter with him. Most purchasers here must be for towing or haven't bothered to check. Will be discussing further with SM tomorrow.

GMWK2
22-05-2012, 10:55 AM
I have just been informed that Chrysler are going to issue a technical bulletin to dealers tomorrow (Wednesday) and the kit will be available by the end of the month.

Time to ring your dealer.

Savvas
23-05-2012, 09:06 AM
So it's now 9:05 on Wednesday morning. Has anyone seen the letter yet? What's the holdup?

:rolleyes:

Jasman
23-05-2012, 03:10 PM
They just posted on Facebook that the fix is inbound and will be available in dealers shortly.

Gazz1958
23-05-2012, 10:00 PM
They just posted on Facebook that the fix is inbound and will be available in dealers shortly.

Jasman

I looked for the message about recovery hook solution but couldn't find it could you post a link

Gazz

scarps
23-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Jasman

I looked for the message about recovery hook solution but couldn't find it could you post a link

Gazz

It's under BobT's post about his Jeep in the comments

ClarkeyWKCRD
26-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Could someone please post the solution on the forum as I'm not on Facebook.

Cheers.

scarps
26-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Could someone please post the solution on the forum as I'm not on Facebook.

Cheers.

Jeep Australia
With regard to the front recovery hooks, we now have an approved solution. The parts are entering the country and we aim to have them with our dealer network shortly. Once we get this in play, you will be able to contact your local dealer to book an appointment. Just in time for the Jeep Jamboree.
May 23 at 3:03pm**·**Unlike**·**5

mooney.shane
27-05-2012, 09:46 AM

hey mate i see that you have tried to fix 2011 hooks on 2012 model and found the holes are missing.

after doing some research i found the part numbers for front beams for wk2. perhaps replacing the 2012 front beam with the 2011 front beam (export models with holes) may be the solution. however need to find out the exact part number from a 2011 Australian wk2. not sure how much the cost for a front beam is.

here is the link to parts manual. page 211.
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/manuals/2011_wk_parts.pdf

ClarkeyWKCRD
27-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks scarps.

I'm gonna email my dealer now with this and see what he comes back with.

Gazz1958
27-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks Scarps, my cars due next week can't wait

Chris V
28-05-2012, 03:34 PM
My dealer's been telling the the recovery hooks will be in, in a couple of weeks for the past three months.
Does any body think it odd that a 4WD comes with a space saver spare??

scarps
28-05-2012, 05:26 PM
My dealer's been telling the the recovery hooks will be in, in a couple of weeks for the past three months.
Does any body think it odd that a 4WD comes with a space saver spare??

I initially was a bit concerned about the tyre but when you read the sticker on it that say's don't exceed 120kmph, plus I had to lift it out of the back today, and rest assured it's no skinny yellow painted space saver tyre, I'm happy. Think I've done my back again:(

mutchie
29-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Sent my dealer the Facebook post and got a reply 'Thanks for the update' so doubt there has been much communication with Jeep Aus to my guy.:mad:

ClarkeyWKCRD
29-05-2012, 07:54 PM
I'm with mutchie. I also sent my dealer the Facebook post and he said he hadn't heard anything about it yet. Seems like Jeep need to start remembering who's pulling them out of their financial slump... US!

ClarkeyWKCRD
29-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Also, I don't know if anyone has contacted Stu Murchison (CRDSTU) but I emailed him a week or so ago to see if he was doing skid plates for the WK2012. He said that he should have something in the final 1/4 of the year and he was hoping to incorporate recovery points as well. Probably doesn't help for anyone going to Jamboree but thought it might be of interest.

mm1964
01-06-2012, 09:48 AM
.....Probably an example of the dealer apathy and lack of interest in the issue is the fact that when the tow bar was fitted the technician removed the rear tow hook and left it off. When I raised the point the response was "we do that with all of them - no-one else has complained".

Hey Jnk, I had the tow bar installed but I still have the rear tow hook!!!! Did you have it put back on?

JnK
01-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Hey Jnk, I had the tow bar installed but I still have the rear tow hook!!!! Did you have it put back on?

I jumped up and down at the dealer at the time, and finally said I would do it.
When I got under and realised the rear bumper and the tow bar would have to come off again the job went into the too hard basket.
I do have a receiver hitch shackle adapter so that is in with the tools now and I'll use that.

Still have no front hooks though and following the various posts and supposed progress towards availability with great interest.
John

Brisneyland
01-06-2012, 04:22 PM
Abit of good news on this forum

http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=32051&page=24

ClarkeyWKCRD
01-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Please excuse my ignorance but would bolting on a couple of those drop forged steel tow hooks that you can get from places like BCF etc, do the job until Jeep eventually comes out with this mysterious and mythical 'solution' we are all waiting for?

fester
01-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Please excuse my ignorance but would bolting on a couple of those drop forged steel tow hooks that you can get from places like BCF etc, do the job until Jeep eventually comes out with this mysterious and mythical 'solution' we are all waiting for?

It would if there was a suitable place to bolt them to. My understanging of the panel concerned is there is not. I believe there were 2 mounting holes but one has been deleted.

ClarkeyWKCRD
02-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Thanks fester. Hopefully something comes out of Brisneyland's post below then.

Clarkey.

jjgc
04-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Tried to up load photos can't make it work . I had the recovery hook fitted to day on the LH side with my 1st service. Service dept said they do not have a RH bracket to fit the hook to. Should be happy but only one hook, dont know what to think :eek: :D :( :confused:

Savvas
04-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Tried to up load photos can't make it work . I had the recovery hook fitted to day on the LH side with my 1st service. Service dept said they do not have a RH bracket to fit the hook to. Should be happy but only one hook, dont know what to think :eek: :D :( :confused:

Was it a freebie or did you get charged for it?

jjgc
04-06-2012, 08:28 PM
No charge ..........

jjgc
04-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Managed to get the photos up

mm1964
05-06-2012, 08:17 AM

I'm a newbie but isn't the hook set too far back?

It seems to me that if the recovery vehicle cannot position itself directly in front then it is going to do some serious damage to the bumper. Just doesn't look like there'd be much clearance between a strap and the bumper section to the right (looking at that photo).

Walker
05-06-2012, 09:41 AM

That's great, good to know you can finally get them and they look neat. I think for 99% recoveries just the 1 will be fine.

scarps
05-06-2012, 10:31 AM
I'll be interested to see the nudge bar option when it comes out, but for now, having 1 front recovery point is better than having none.

GMWK2
05-06-2012, 11:16 AM

Well done jjgc. Great to see the photos of the hook fitted.

Mine is being fitted today - I'll report back later.

jjgc
05-06-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm a newbie but isn't the hook set too far back?

It seems to me that if the recovery vehicle cannot position itself directly in front then it is going to do some serious damage to the bumper. Just doesn't look like there'd be much clearance between a strap and the bumper section to the right (looking at that photo).

You are suppose to remove the lower skirt when 4x4 driving so no damage to the bumper ;)

fester
05-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Be interested to see if that bracket can be mirrored with some slight changes to make work on rhs. Then you could purchase a second hook. Sounds like its a 2 piece item with bracket plus hook.

LeCheese
05-06-2012, 01:49 PM
You are suppose to remove the lower skirt when 4x4 driving so no damage to the bumper ;)

MUCH easier said than done

mm1964
05-06-2012, 01:56 PM

Would have thought that would only be necessary for real rough off road adventures where some real clearance is required not just for snow, beach, water crossings...

I thought I read that removal of the front dam, opened up or removed or weakened the support for the front wheel inner arch linings!!! So I'd really only want to be doing this when truly necessary.

Also, if the solution to the problem of removing those original two front recovery hooks was giving us back two front recessed hooks then at least a bridle strap may avoid the bumper/dam issue that we could or will encounter.

mm1964
05-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Would have thought that would only be necessary for real rough off road adventures where some real clearance is required not just for snow, beach, water crossings...

I thought I read that removal of the front dam, opened up or removed or weakened the support for the front wheel inner arch linings!!! So I'd really only want to be doing this when truly necessary.

Also, if the solution to the problem of removing those original two front recovery hooks was giving us back two front recessed hooks then at least a bridle strap may avoid the bumper/dam issue that we could or will encounter.

As provided by others, it also seems this Jeep Grand Cherokee advert supports my view that it was not a requirement to remove the front dam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUxCqaU0bu0

GMWK2
05-06-2012, 06:35 PM
I had the new recovery hook fitted today and compared to what I had yesterday, ie nothing, I'm happy.

The photos posted by jjgc are correct.

The reality is that this is all jeep will be providing - if you want something else you better hope the aftermarket people do it.

While the new hook might not be ideal in heavy duty recovery, I think it will suit me fine for my use on the beach and dirt roads. Touch wood I'll never have to use it.

I'll keep an eye on the nudge bar which I understand is due a month or so.

ClarkeyWKCRD
05-06-2012, 08:25 PM
I agree gregm. As I posted sometime ago, Murchison Products (CRDSTU) is working on skid plates and are hoping to incorporate recovery points. Like you said, something is better than nothing. I guess it's just a shame that Jeep allowed this debacle to happen.

mhillman
11-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Had the official hook fitted Friday, and have just returned from 2 days of hard tracks. Did not need the hook as the car performed so well, it went where everyone else did without a problem. The new hook is a very simple design - one wonders why they didn't use this design before. Took 90 mins to fit the hook as they have to remove the front bumper. Left the air dam on, but took off the little dangly bits on both sides that don't seem to do much. The air dam seems much more tucked up than the WH. Very pleased with the car now I can go offroad - more capable than my previous stock JKU. Hill descent is awesome.

4dmad
12-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Who else out there has had the new recovery hook supplied free as I have just had to pay for mine and my dealer will not front up with anything and like normal are not interested in trying to go any further up the chain with it.
Thanks to this forum I have found more information than any dealership has been able to provide.

WK2 GC Deisel Laredo

timbotrog
12-06-2012, 01:25 AM
Which dealer was that?

jjgc
12-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Had the official hook fitted Friday, and have just returned from 2 days of hard tracks. Did not need the hook as the car performed so well, it went where everyone else did without a problem. The new hook is a very simple design - one wonders why they didn't use this design before. Took 90 mins to fit the hook as they have to remove the front bumper. Left the air dam on, but took off the little dangly bits on both sides that don't seem to do much. The air dam seems much more tucked up than the WH. Very pleased with the car now I can go offroad - more capable than my previous stock JKU. Hill descent is awesome.

Thanks mhillman great report on the hook just what I needed, if your happy then so am I :)

AJ
12-06-2012, 09:29 AM
some pictures would be awesome if you get a chance :)

robmac
12-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Hi all. I'm a new member, hopefully back in a Jeep for the first time since 2000. Ordered a CRD Overland with ORAG in January and still waiting for delivery. As I intend to use the Jeep off-road I will be needing the recovery hook fitted. Anyone know how much the dealers are charging?

ClarkeyWKCRD
12-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Who else out there has had the new recovery hook supplied free as I have just had to pay for mine and my dealer will not front up with anything and like normal are not interested in trying to go any further up the chain with it.
Thanks to this forum I have found more information than any dealership has been able to provide.

WK2 GC Deisel Laredo

Hey 4dmad.

I'm hoping to pick up my WK GC CRD this week and my dealer said that they recovery hook would be fitted free of charge at the dealership before I pick it up. That seems outrageous that you should have to pay if others don't and especially considering it's Jeep's mistake.

I know this probably doesn't help but this was sent to me by my Jeep dealer:

'Below is are excerpts from the most recent bulletin.
>
> Subject: WK RECOVERY HOOKS
> Bulletin Number: GN-01-193
> Group (If Applicable): N/A
> Bulletin Originator: JAMES DI BERARDINO
> Date: 04th June 2012
>
> RE: WK NUDGE BAR, RECOVERY HOOK AND BRACKET OVERVIEW
> Please deliver this bulletin to all sales, parts and service staff
members.
> Here is an overview of the WK Nudge bar, recovery hook and bracket kits.
> There are 2 versions of the WK GRAND CHEROKEE relevant to this parts
> purchase:
> PEDESTRIAN SAFETY (LATE 2011> -NO FIXED TOW HOOKS)
> NON PEDESTIAN SAFETY (EARLY 2011 -FIXED TOW HOOKS)
>
> The parts list on the next page also has reference to Ped Safe and Non Ped
> Safe. You will notice this in the part description when ordering.
> Please note with the accessory recovery hooks there is NO provision for
dual
> recovery hooks.
> ONLY LHF/PASSENGER SIDE is available.'

4dmad
12-06-2012, 11:48 AM
I think it is a total scam and don't think that there would be half the problems out there if they had better dealerships.
I just paid $357 for the new recovery hook (1-2 weeks for delivery) not fitted. They want extra to fit which I didn't bother asking for a price.Will fit myself.
The new nudge bar mounting brackets are $600 (not fitted) and another $150 for the recovery hook that fits that. Still no stock for either of those parts yet though.

It all just seems to be a money making excercise for something they know we have no other option (yet).

On the upside, it will be good to get off road with a little peace of mind I can be recovered from the front.

ClarkeyWKCRD
12-06-2012, 12:06 PM
I hear ya. I was worried about getting on the beach without a recovery point but hopefully that won't be an issue now.

As for the dealership and charging issue, I think there were some forum entries earlier in this thread regarding finding out about our consumer rights from the ACCC or the ombudsman.

Perhaps it might be worthwhile going back though or seeing if anyone else has had any luck with this. It's certainly not right having to pay for something that should have been standard issue.

mhillman
12-06-2012, 06:22 PM
4dmad - your signature says you have a 2011 model, in which case it comes standard with 2 front recovery hooks. If you really meant 2012, then the situation is that if you ordered the car BEFORE Nov 2011, and you had a reasonable expectation of front hooks (i.e. the only vehicles they could show you had them) then Chrysler will fit a tow hook or nudge bar for free. Talk to Chrysler, not the dealer. It is not the dealers fault, unless they failed to inform you after Nov 2011.

Around Nov 2011 it was realised that the tow hooks had been deleted, and all the brouchures were changed, and dealers notified. After this date there is no free option.

BTW - it should also include free AT tyres if you are entitled to a hook.

4dmad
12-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks for that, I will get onto Chrysler.
Yes I ordered it in July last year and took delivery 29 December which was when I found that it had no hooks. The dealer did not inform me of anything. I pointed out all the missing bits when I walked around it in the showroom (I ordered towbar, nudgebar, quadralift). Long story but I ended up with it.
Over 10000kms now and love it.

darthgus
12-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Anyone got a number to call for Chrysler? I need to do the same thing - Dealer is basically ignoring my requests to even call to find out.

mhillman
12-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Anyone got a number to call for Chrysler? I need to do the same thing - Dealer is basically ignoring my requests to even call to find out.
PM me for details.

mutchie
13-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Dealer just called to say that Front Hook is available and will cost $358. They questioned Chrysler about cost and were told no freebie :( as it is an 'accessory'. Looks like I follow up with sales person first then on to Chrysler and Consumer Affairs if the story stays the same.

darthgus
14-06-2012, 11:38 AM
My dealer finally responded after giving them a week before I approached fair trading and has come to the party to pay for the recovery hook. Not sure who is paying for it Jeep Aust or the dealer.. Apparently he isnt able to order one however for 3 weeks - the initial allotment of parts must be gone already.

ClarkeyWKCRD
14-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Hey darthgus.

Even though there's a wait to order at least you don't have to pay. Good outcome and how it should be.

Clarkey.

pwy
15-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Got a $357+fitting reply from my dealer to my inquiry regarding recovery hook.

Decided to give Chrysler/Jeep Aus customer support a call. They don't seem to publish their customer support number anywhere so it took some digging to find it. (In case anyone else is looking for it.. 1300 133 079).

So called them a few min ago and, too my utterly surprise, got through on the first attempt with no waiting. The lady I was talking to told me that she agrees and I should not have to pay for the hooks. In essence she told me that anyone who has ordered before Jan and where the dealer did not specifically mention the not included hooks will get the recovery hook free of charge.
She proceeded to ask for my dealers name and told me she will call the dealer and sort that out.

Not sure if I was just lucky but compared to my previous dealings with Jeep customer support that was an improvement of 5000%, not to mention the good outcome :)

So if your dealer tells you to pay for it and you fit the criteria, give Jeep Aus a call.

GMWK2
15-06-2012, 01:47 PM
They don't seem to publish their customer support number anywhere so it took some digging to find it.

The Customer Assist numbers are in the back of the Warranty Book.

I'm wondering why no one has actually named the people they are speaking to at Chrysler in Melbourne.

Are we all scared they are going to take legal action?

I had my hook fitted 2 weeks ago - is it time to name names?

fwdjeep
15-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Just ordered a new grand Cherokee
Have to wait for it to be built as I ordered it with the adventure off road pack ii
Dealer never said that the tow hooks would not be supplied with the vehicle.

I will be very dirty if they try and charge me down the track
I will wait and see.

GMWK2
15-06-2012, 04:13 PM
I will wait and see.

I'd check now.

fester
15-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Have to wait for it to be built as I ordered it with the adventure off road pack ii

I will wait and see.

Good luck but I doubt you'll have any luck. I doubt the dealer relly has to tell you about something that is not included given it is no longer mentioned in brochures nor are there any display/demo vehicles sitting around with them fitted. Plenty of 4wd's over the years have been sold without recovery points. You'd be better off trying to get it cheap or free as part of taking some extras etc.

Rubi2012
15-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Good luck but I doubt you'll have any luck. I doubt the dealer relly has to tell you about something that is not included given it is no longer mentioned in brochures nor are there any display/demo vehicles sitting around with them fitted. Plenty of 4wd's over the years have been sold without recovery points. You'd be better off trying to get it cheap or free as part of taking some extras etc.

Sorry to jump in here fellas but I have been looking at a new GC and test driven one and checked with my salesman which I have bought 2 Jeeps from because I trust Him rare i know but when I posed the question about a recovery hook/point he showed me the front one where you pop out the inserts on the bottom of the bumper and screw in the rated tow hook which is standard and stored in with the spare tyre on all models at no charge so i think your dealers are ripping you if you have to pay.

Jasman
15-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Sorry to jump in here fellas but I have been looking at a new GC and test driven one and checked with my salesman which I have bought 2 Jeeps from because I trust Him rare i know but when I posed the question about a recovery hook/point he showed me the front one where you pop out the inserts on the bottom of the bumper and screw in the rated tow hook which is standard and stored in with the spare tyre on all models at no charge so i think your dealers are ripping you if you have to pay.

Rubi, I dont think your salesman can be trusted as he obviously doesn't know his product very well and obviously doesn't read the Jeep service bulletins. The screw in tow hook is not recovery rated and is only suitable for dragging it onto a tilt tray etc. Jeep has recently released a rated recovery hook that bolts into the chassis on the opposite side to the screw in tow eye you describe. This hook retails for around $400 plus fitting.

It really annoys me when salespeople don't take the time to know the product they are selling, if you took him at his word and tried to snatch recover your jeep using the tow eye you might end up killing someone.

Rubi2012
15-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Hi Jasman , thanks for that info I will bring that up with when I go back , the last thing I would want is a tow hook flying through somone's window or them for that matter.

Roadie
17-06-2012, 11:06 AM

I will wait and see.

Did you ask the question if it would come with a front recovery hook??

fwdjeep
17-06-2012, 12:44 PM
I did
And was told yes it did
But we all knw what car sales men are like

fester
17-06-2012, 06:07 PM
I did
And was told yes it did

That's a different story and I'd trying to document it as best as possible. Record a note of the time date and salesman and ideally get his written confirmation of same.

Roadie
17-06-2012, 06:58 PM
I did
And was told yes it did

Easy up turbo.. Not all salesman are the same.. And yes you are talking to a jeep saleman right now....

Now if he has told you that it has a tow hook, it does. Not a rated recovery hook.. That it doesn't. And good luck on that one..

For all that ordered there car before jan 20th 2012 but didn't come with a hook I believe that I read a document that said it will be done as a warranty claim.. I need to reread the document to confirm this. Found it late on Friday night..

timbotrog
18-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Roadie, you tell him to "easy up" because you didn't like him disparaging car sales people yet in the very next sentence admit that car sales people will try and get out of a straight answer. Example:
Buyer: does it come with a recovery hook fitted?
Car salesman: it comes with a factory tow hook as standard equipment.

CJDcentralcoast
18-06-2012, 07:14 AM
Morning all, Just looked on the chrysler system and there is a bulletin where as long as your sales contract was before 20th January 2012 then you should be able to get the front recovery point under goodwill.

Hope that helps most of you.

sege
18-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Roadie, you tell him to "easy up" because you didn't like him disparaging car sales people yet in the very next sentence admit that car sales people will try and get out of a straight answer. Example:
Buyer: does it come with a recovery hook fitted?
Car salesman: it comes with a factory tow hook as standard equipment.

.... and then they can run for politics!!!!:rolleyes:

mm1964
18-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Morning all, Just looked on the chrysler system and there is a bulletin where as long as your sales contract was before 20th January 2012 then you should be able to get the front recovery point under goodwill.

Wow. Is there any chance of publishing the bulletin in full?

And what a shame all Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge dealers are not like you.

Congratulations CJD Central Coast.

I've been emailing my dealer regarding this recovery hook for over a month, the last being last week and not once have they had the decency to respond to me.

CJDcentralcoast
18-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Wow. Is there any chance of publishing the bulletin in full?

I've been emailing my dealer regarding this recovery hook for over a month, the last being last week and not once have they had the decency to respond to me.

Thanks for that, The bulletin didn't come as a PDF. My suggestion would be to go to your service department and explain that there they need to do a goodwill case. Take in your order form as they will need a copy to prove the date of contract.

If your having issues then tell them the article number is #22082

We're the only country in the world to actually create a solution to the removal of them. That's why it's taken chrysler so long as it's been Chrysler Australia doing the RnD to get it to market which hasn't been easy.

Hope that all helps

Hunno
18-06-2012, 12:39 PM

I've actually had the pleasure of meeting a couple of salesmen at Central Coast Dealership & even with the knoledge that I didn't want to buy a Jeep as I like the older Jeeps, they still had heaps of time for me.

If I was to buy a new Jeep I would be stopping there as my first stop.

Hunno

CJDcentralcoast
18-06-2012, 04:34 PM
I've actually had the pleasure of meeting a couple of salesmen at Central Coast Dealership & even with the knoledge that I didn't want to buy a Jeep as I like the older Jeeps, they still had heaps of time for me.

If I was to buy a new Jeep I would be stopping there as my first stop.

Hunno

Haha actually that was the whole team you met! we're only small, although we did actually have a newbie start last week so if you fancy calling in to give him some tough product knowledge questions you can give it a go!!

I've got a couple of customers going to the jeep jambo as well which will be great.

martel49
21-06-2012, 02:01 PM
I finally got my front recovery hook fitted today, it's a pity it does'nt stick out a bit further but I guess it's better than nothing.

millzzy
21-06-2012, 05:25 PM
could someone possibly put up a pic of the hook and mounting,close up, i have acess to flat steel all gauges and folding eqiupment and i bet the mount could be duplicated to use either the 2011 hook or an aftermarket rated hook, that would also mean it could be reversed to mount on the other side, hmmm :hump:

grange
22-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Can someone confirm that after this front recovery hook is fitted it is hidden away from view ?

scarps
22-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Can someone confirm that after this front recovery hook is fitted it is hidden away from view ?
Yes, it sits behind the plastic cap (pops out).
Same as screw in on road tow hook.
Quite easy to pop the plastic cover off with fingers, but firm enough to stay in place when driving

jeepthingy
22-06-2012, 03:36 PM
WK recovery hook - Reimburssement
Service and Warranty / Dealer Bulletins
Go back to your dealer and ask about the Bulletin and and the criteria so you can start the process. Mine is on the way

GMWK2
23-06-2012, 06:01 PM
I just tried to attach my snatch strap to the recovery hook - I'll be blowed if I could get the strap loop over the hook. The strap is too thick and there is not enough room to get your hand in the hole in the bumper to be able to push it onto the hook.

My snatch strap is just a normal TJM strap - so the loop is not unusually thick I assume.

Has anyone successfully attached a snatch strap onto the hook?

briteway
23-06-2012, 06:05 PM
You should use a rated D-shackle or a bow shackle in between the hook and the snatch strap.

GMWK2
23-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Tried a shackle - it won't fit!

fester
23-06-2012, 07:18 PM
This is not a good sign, I wonder if others have tried different straps. Surely they tested that. I'm not a fan of using a shackle on a hook. Hooks are for straps, recovery loops are for shackles. If not fitted and checked properly (eg slipped) then there is potential for the shackle to slip off the hook. Also in the situation where the snatch goes tight but doesn't unstick the vehicle then pulls again. That moment of slack could allow the shackle to flick off the hook.

ClarkeyWKCRD
23-06-2012, 07:34 PM

Looking at these pics it's hard to tell but is the recovery point a hook or full loop?
Mine hasn't been fitted yet and won't be until my 1 month service.

Clarkey.

ClarkeyWKCRD
23-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Photos didn't upload. Check out the post (#56) from jjgc 04/06/12.

GMWK2
23-06-2012, 09:49 PM
It's a hook, but it is a quite tight radius and the opening is only about 10 - 20mm.

scarps
24-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Depends on size/type of strap. Mine went on and off ok.http://img.tapatalk.com/3cf07161-6b04-5a49.jpg

Jasman
28-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Hey, just thought I would share the photo of my hook with my snatch strap fitted as I know there is some concern about whether or not some straps will fit on the hook. Mine is a brand new (yet to be used in anger) 8t Ironman strap and it fits on, but it is tight to get on and off, not something you can do in a hurry. Based on other photos it looks like the Ironman has a pretty small/thin loop, I've attached a few photos for comparisons sake of the loop sitting on a leather glove. It's probably worth mentioning that I picked this strap up from my local Ironman dealer for about $120 in a recovery kit which included 9m 8000kg snatch strap, two 4.7 bow shackles, recovery hitch, leather gloves and reinforced carry bag - pretty good value I reckon.

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg571/Jasman78/Recovery.jpg
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg571/Jasman78/Ironman2.jpg
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg571/Jasman78/Ironman1.jpg

Felix
03-07-2012, 12:52 PM
just looking at tight fit on yours & scarps, in the manual it suggests you remove the front dam for off road work to protect it from damage, does it give you more room to access the hooks???

Jasman
03-07-2012, 01:27 PM
just looking at tight fit on yours & scarps, in the manual it suggests you remove the front dam for off road work to protect it from damage, does it give you more room to access the hooks???

I won't be removing the air dam, though it would give more room it exposes lots of stuff that looks to easy to break.

fester
03-07-2012, 01:28 PM

I think it's less to do with space around the hook but rather the opening in the hook itself.

mhillman
03-07-2012, 04:43 PM
I have not yet had to use the hook, but I'm not looking forward to it - it looks very tight. I left the air dam on, and had no problems. It seems to be a lot more "tucked up" than previous models, and the tracks were challenging. I did remove the little winglet things that hang down from the air dam though.

4dmad
03-07-2012, 06:02 PM
I finally got my hook on friday and went out to try it over the weekend.
It works a treat, a little tight to get strap on but it wont come off accidentally.
And for anyone thinking of taking your front air dam off, try it first. Its not that easy and I would rather protect whats behind it. So far I haven't even scratched the front, its prety strong.
Sent from my GalaxySII

sporadical
23-03-2013, 02:05 PM
I just got delivery of a brand new Laredo, to find out that there are no front recovery hooks. Has anyone had front hooks fitted recently, this year, and can you confirm the price?

mhillman
23-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Single recovery hook (passengers side) is available from Jeep spare parts. Don't know cost.

4dmad
23-03-2013, 04:36 PM
If I remember right it cost about $359 or there abouts for the parts, not sure on how much to fit it but it is easy to DIY and doesn't take that long.

MattG
23-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Cost me $350 off ebay, and then another $60 to have the dealer fit it... A jip but necessary if you want piece of mind. I've got one front and one rear now, so enough to recover those other poor souls not driving jeeps :D

sporadical
23-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Thanks guys.

scarps
23-03-2013, 10:16 PM
Cost me $350 off ebay, and then another $60 to have the dealer fit it... A jip but necessary if you want piece of mind. I've got one front and one rear now, so enough to recover those other poor souls not driving jeeps :D

Tojo recovery vehicle:-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

timbotrog
23-03-2013, 11:16 PM
During a driver training day last October we had 3 WK Grands, (2 overlands and a Laredo), on the day. Getting the front air dam off isn't too bad just takes a bit of practice the guys were saying.
The big thing is if you have an Overland and you take the front air dam off, take the ACC eye off as well. One chap didn't after he took the air dam off and the repair bill is something I wouldn't want to think about...

Studgun
29-03-2013, 08:16 PM
After one time getting bogged and having to remove the lower air dam section to snatch it at an angle slightly to the left, I've gone ahead and bought a second recovery hook kit and am having an opposite bracket engineered so I'll have two recovery points (that screw in tow eye is no good to me anyway). I'll then use my Just Straps equalising strap between the points and won't have to worry about removing the air dam again. I'll post photos here and on JG when it's done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drover
31-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Found this on ebay, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jeep-WK-Grand-Cherokee-GENUINE-Mopar-Front-Recovery-Hook-Part-CH8220WKRH-/300860533869?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item460caf6c6d

over$700 for 2 hooks, BS.

Studgun
01-04-2013, 01:07 AM
Found this on ebay, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jeep-WK-Grand-Cherokee-GENUINE-Mopar-Front-Recovery-Hook-Part-CH8220WKRH-/300860533869?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item460caf6c6d

over$700 for 2 hooks, BS.

Yep, and they don't even make one for the right side. That's where I bought mine, and that's about as cheap as I've been able to find it. I've had one on for a few months and my second kit should arrive this week, and then I can have the bracket made in reverse and install the hook on the right side in place of that stupid screw in tow eye.

$760 is a lot of money for some tow hooks, but I figure it's better than having to remove that stupid lower section of bumper every time, or worse twisting the frame.

sporadical
01-04-2013, 09:38 AM
can that black plastic removable section below the bumper be removed and left off permanently?

Nicholas
01-04-2013, 10:04 AM
It can but it will definitely change the aerodynamics and reduce your cars efficiency at speed. I don't know why you would take it off permenately. It takes me about 1-2 mins to remove and I just take it off and leave it home before I head to the tracks.

Matty05
01-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Yep, and they don't even make one for the right side. That's where I bought mine, and that's about as cheap as I've been able to find it. I've had one on for a few months and my second kit should arrive this week, and then I can have the bracket made in reverse and install the hook on the right side in place of that stupid screw in tow eye.

$760 is a lot of money for some tow hooks, but I figure it's better than having to remove that stupid lower section of bumper every time, or worse twisting the frame.

I agree. Its a ridiculous amount of money but i will pay that to have 2 front recovery hooks.
My local stealership quoted me $310 for 1 hook.

Studgun
01-04-2013, 12:33 PM
It can but it will definitely change the aerodynamics and reduce your cars efficiency at speed. I don't know why you would take it off permenately. It takes me about 1-2 mins to remove and I just take it off and leave it home before I head to the tracks.

Clearly I'm doing it wrong because it took me a lot longer than that. I think I removed more clips than necessary. Do you just take out the quarter turn fasteners and pull off that hanging bit with it still attached to the removed bumper section?

I don't like having it off because of what is then left exposed.

Nicholas
01-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Yep 7 half turn clips then pull from the bumper using the right angles. It should all come off in 1 piece

Studgun
01-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Ahh. I removed all the little painful clips in the middle and then realised it probably wasn't necessary afterwards. That makes it easier for next time. Cheers.

imaz
22-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Getting car serviced and thought id ask the parts dept and they said they can now fit a front recovery hook to the fronts whereby the base is shorter for pedestrian models. Chrysler have given the part number.

Ckxau008220wkrh only one side. $308.66 ex gst.

drover
22-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Getting car serviced and thought id ask the parts dept and they said they can now fit a front recovery hook to the

only one side. $308.66 ex gst.

Anyone who would pay that price is open to the Nigerian Scam and any other rip off around.:eek::eek:

Numb Thumbs
22-04-2013, 06:12 PM
If you want a rated front recovery hook - you have no choice!

Well, you could pay $2400 for the ECB bull bar, but then, are they "rated recovery hooks" on that?

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

imaz
22-04-2013, 06:14 PM
Id pay it plus $75 for fitment. Otherwise no recovery hook. ..

MattG
22-04-2013, 06:20 PM

How'd u go with this? I'd be keen to do the same to get two hooks at the front.

JnK
22-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Anyone who would pay that price is open to the Nigerian Scam and any other rip off around.:eek::eek:

You'll wish you paid that and more if ever you need to be recovered from the front. There WILL be significant and costly damage to plastic bits.
I was fortunate enough to have the hook supplied by the dealer for our 2012 CRD.
John

Studgun
22-04-2013, 09:32 PM
How'd u go with this? I'd be keen to do the same to get two hooks at the front.

Had to go away for a seminar for work so the hooks are still sitting on my kitchen table. Need to organise it for when I get home.

Correy
27-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Just booked in to have the hook fitted free of charge to my 2012 Overland. Will have the work done late next month.

Correy
Donate Blood 13 14 95
www.donateblood.com.au

Studgun
23-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Alright, finally got my second recovery hook sorted.

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/r685/Studgun3194/IMG_2573_zps7ca88fa0.jpg
http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/r685/Studgun3194/IMG_2572_zpsb69defa2.jpg

Old 'tow eye' bracket removed

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/r685/Studgun3194/IMG_2571_zps022cff03.jpg

New bracket and hook installed

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/r685/Studgun3194/IMG_2575_zpscf8fd040.jpg

Two hooks

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/r685/Studgun3194/IMG_2574_zps7a2a8125.jpg
http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/r685/Studgun3194/IMG_2580_zpsac936e4b.jpg

Straps attached. I can now be recovered safely!

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/r685/Studgun3194/IMG_2579_zps11d636d4.jpg

Studgun
17-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Edit: wrong thread