WK2 Sat Nav losing its way [Archive] - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

PDA

View Full Version : WK2 Sat Nav losing its way

smarovitch
15-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Just wondering if anyone else out there is experiencing problems with their Sat Nav. I've been driving a new WK2 Grand Cherokee now for 5 weeks and have noticed that the Sat Nav often loses it's way and won't immediately recover. I've encountered the following quirks:

Sat Nav takes 10 minutes to recover (or does not recover at all) when exiting the Burnley tunnel.
When Sat Nav is out of whack it doesn't recover when the vehicle is restarted.
Sat Nav jumping suburbs in Albert Park
Sat Nav heading south when vehicle is traveling north through Yarraville.
My personal favourite: Sat Nav had me about 300m off shore in Port Phillip bay, some where out from Mornington. I was in South Yarra at the time (I should have taken a snap rod).

I took the vehicle in to Essendon Jeep to get them to try and fix it to which they had no answer other than someone from Jeep Head office was coming out to them for a chat, as they'd have a number of similar issues.

On the day the guys at Essendon Jeep were looking at the car I had one of their loan cars; a Patriot which also a Uconnect system it. I took the liberty of taking this through Burnley tunnel to see if it suffered from the same issues. Lo and behold! It had me driving down the Yarra and wouldn't recover despite the vehicle being restarted.

I'm starting to think Jeep's Uconnect sat navs have a systemic problem.

AJ
15-11-2011, 11:52 AM
This doesn't sound good, let us know how it goes ;)

marcopiat
15-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Not a WK, but our WH sat nav was so bad at losing it's way and going through a weird looping procedure whenever we drove from Port Douglas to Cairns that we had it removed (needing a total dash replacement). I now have a Navman so can use it in either of our Jeeps...much better IMHO.

multihull
16-11-2011, 08:04 PM
I had the same problem with my XH Commander. I found that the problem was with these early units was they had a built in antenna which had trouble finding and locking onto satellites. When I started the car in the morning it always took 5 minutes to lock in and always got lost as I drove along before it had a fix. Then when driving down roads with heaps of trees either side or through the city with high rise building such as the heart of Sydney or Melbourne areas it would also lose the satellites. This was proven by unmounting the unit and shoving it towards the front of the windscreen area and immediately the satellite strength improved and it never lost reception but it was out of reach to operate. A major problem. My Garmin 276C GSP never had trouble when mounted on the dash. I have now removed the Jeep Commander Nuvi (Garmin built)Navigator and installed an aftermarket CD/DVD/Navigator (See other thread) which comes with an external antenna which is hidden under the dash but is fully capable of receiving excellent satellite reception.
Now it sounds like the current Uconnect/MyGig Navigator may also have an internal antenna. Is there a connection port for an external antenna on these newer units, if so plug one in and mount it in a position thatíll pick up satellites.

marcopiat
16-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Good to hear that someone else has had similar issues. When they removed our unit and replaced our dash, our dealer asked us not to publically discuss the issues we had with our WH sat nav and I haven't heard anyone else bitching about these units. Ours used to not only lose satellites but then went crazy like it was re-booting constantly...we used to put a cap over it to avoid distraction, particularly at night. An after-market unit is the way to go definitely.

multihull
16-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Ours used to not only lose satellites but then went crazy like it was re-booting constantly...we used to put a cap over it to avoid distraction, particularly at night.

Yep mine did the same constant reboot.
Has anyone got a picture or a diagram of the back of these new MyGig units and if so is there an input for an external antenna if so plug one in and the problems fixed. The earlier 06 to 08 models pre MyGig didn't so there was no fix.

smarovitch
28-11-2011, 04:49 PM
No new news as yet. I've been in touch with Essendon Jeep since they inspected the car and was promised a call back which hasn't occurred as yet.

I'll call Essendon again tomorrow. Failing that I'll call head office.

smarovitch
30-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Called Essendon again. They indicated that they're waiting for news from head office and they'll be sure to call me when they know something.

Given that all those affected seem to waiting on news from Head Office I thought I'd go to the horses mouth. It would appear that customer service at Head Office is an answering machine. I left a message and I fear it would be the first of many.

AJ
01-12-2011, 11:56 AM
I think I'm still waiting on atleast three different calls from Head Office over the last eight months. If I was you I would try and get a phone number to contact somebody direct coz they really don't like calling people back :(

smarovitch
01-12-2011, 11:58 AM
I figured that would be the case.

smarovitch
07-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Got an update for you. As yet I've had no luck reaching a human at Head Office but my wife managed to do so. She had a conversation with an individual not related to customer service who took the details with a promise to pass it on to customer service.

She had a call today from Essendon stating that Head Office had been in contact with them and someone was coming out to have another chat with them from Head Office. The Advice was essentially "no news at this stage and no idea on a timeline for a fix". Essendon also confirmed that they had a number of people also chasing an update on a fix.

smarovitch
05-01-2012, 02:52 PM
I dare say that this will be the final update on this issue. I put another call into Jeep head office and got the good old answering service. I then turned to Jeep's Facebook page, reiterated my experience and lodged a request for customer service to call me immediately.

Within 15 minutes I had John from Jeep Essendon on the phone working through the issue and an appropriate solution. I took the car in at John's request. They had a look around the unit, reflashed it (I think), checked the aerial and aerial connection, made a few other tweaks and presto, so far, a greatly improved and more responsive sat nav that refreshes in a timely fashion and appears to plot properly.

No more drives in the middle of Port Phillip Bay. It's a shame really. I always had a bit of a laugh as the sat nav plotted me somewhere in the middle of the bay.

Many thanks to John from Jeep Essendon for attending to the issue of my sat nav in such a highly professional and timely manner.

briteway
05-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Good move, I think FB's the way to go these days :D

I have a WH with a Navus sitting on top of the dash which I can't look at how disgusting it is especially for doing nothing. Well, the screen stuffed up and you can't operate the left half portion of the screen. The right side of the screen that works is out of calibration. You can't even calibrate it. Unfortunately, it's long out of warranty and the dealer said it kaput and needs to be replaced at my expense (but that was a while ago). Yeah right, I'm running... so it can konk out again in a couple of months time.

I just have to remove it and plug the hole somehow, gotta think of something LOL. I want to get the other bezel and an aftermaket double din touch screen system that would do the DVD, navigation and that could be operated by the steering buttons to which I also want to add the reverse camera.

adrenalineoffroad
Find out how to advertise on Ausjeep?