WK2 Transmission [Archive] - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

PDA

View Full Version : WK2 Transmission

SilverFox
12-04-2012, 07:41 PM
I've ordered a new WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Diesel. Been waiting a while and am excited to report that it finally arrives next week. Can't wait. I've been reading with interest some of the reported problems, flat battery due to the sleep mode on the Multi function radio etc, and the noisy shocks. The car on order has a build date of Jan 2012, so I'm wondering whether this car will continue to have these reported issues. In any case, I'll be keeping a watchful eye on the car once its received.

Anyway, my question relates to the sequential transmission on the car. Are there paddles on the steering wheel to change the gear you are in, or is this controlled from the shift itself? I can't remember exactly how the sequential transmission is changed between gears etc. Thanks for your assistance.

WITHY
12-04-2012, 08:02 PM
I've ordered a new WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Diesel. Been waiting a while and am excited to report that it finally arrives next week. Can't wait. I've been reading with interest some of the reported problems, flat battery due to the sleep mode on the Multi function radio etc, and the noisy shocks. The car on order has a build date of Jan 2012, so I'm wondering whether this car will continue to have these reported issues. In any case, I'll be keeping a watchful eye on the car once its received.

Anyway, my question relates to the sequential transmission on the car. Are there paddles on the steering wheel to change the gear you are in, or is this controlled from the shift itself? I can't remember exactly how the sequential transmission is changed between gears etc. Thanks for your assistance.
It's on the shifter, flick left to drop and obviously right to go up a gear.
Out of curiosity go on some other specific forums and have alook at the issues other manufacturers have.We're gettin a second Jeep after being introduced to the brand last August.
Can't answer with so called issues had the battery issue, it's fixed with an update.We sometimes have a slight knocking noise but it could be our imagination after reading this and another forum.

Just enjoy your wait and don't stress

Mike

SilverFox
13-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Thanks WITHY.

I've never actually owned a JEEP before this will be my first. I'm quite enjoying reading peoples experiences with the car, and can't wait until mine arrives next Friday. I'm also keen to give it a shot to see how it manages to tow my camper (Jayco Swan). I'm sure with its large towing capacity and all of the newton metres (550nm) that is going to feel like the van is not even there.

Thanks again.

Cheers

drover
13-04-2012, 06:38 PM
You will keep looking in the mirror to see if your Swan is still hooked on.

WITHY
13-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks WITHY.

I've never actually owned a JEEP before this will be my first. I'm quite enjoying reading peoples experiences with the car, and can't wait until mine arrives next Friday. I'm also keen to give it a shot to see how it manages to tow my camper (Jayco Swan). I'm sure with its large towing capacity and all of the newton metres (550nm) that is going to feel like the van is not even there.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Just did 2000kms last week(sydney and NE VIC with our offroad camper on back(1600kgs) loved it and 10.8 litres PER 100.My wife enjoyed driving it to never kicked down could dropped down but wasn't obvious.

The vehicle also kills it driving on dirt and rock with the trailer on.

Mike.

Pilbara kid
25-04-2012, 08:25 PM
i have had my WK2 Overland now for four months. I don't get to drive it every day, mostly on weekends. It starts perfectly every time end never skips a beat. Thats until today... the quadra lift stopped working. it will not lift to offroad level 1 or 2. it will drop to sports and up to normal height again but that is it. in saying that i am sure the problem will be fixed (even though i do live in the Pilbara and getting to the dealer in Perth is still a question to be asked) and i have never seconed guested my purchase.

AJ
26-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Have you tried disconnecting the battery under the driver seat? Mine has done a few funny things similar,

Quadra lift played up for awhile right at the start. but after persisting with trying to raise it and lower it whenever I got in the car it went away and has been fine since. I think it was due to the system not being used for so long.

Also four wheel drive wouldn't engage and gave a 4wd service light, but after disconnecting the battery and giving it a few minutes it came back good as gold. Same as the quadralift as I don't think it would have been used up until that point.

Pilbara kid
29-04-2012, 05:44 PM
I had a go at disconnecting the battery as you said but it made no difference, also a word of warning, be carefull of the battery breather, it breaks easily :( I found an agent for Jeep in Port Hedland who is on the case for me, at least I don't have to take it all the way to Perth.

On another note, has anyone fitted Mopar rock sliders to the WK2 themselves? I have checked out the instructions for the install but it looks like it a bit of a pain. Any tips from anyone to make life easy?

Also, if anyone hears about any sort of front bar that will go onto the Overland that will allow for the radar and parking sensors let me know. I need somthing to mount spot lights onto.

ClarkeyWKCRD
30-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Hey Silverfox.

I get my Laredo CRD mid June and can't wait. I remember thinking during the test drive that the sequential auto was a bit odd in that it went from side to side and not backward and forward like other makes.

Just further to Withy's reply, I think the gear change paddles on the steering wheel might be an option on top models but they are definitely on the SRT V8.

Bomber
30-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Clarkey, I wasn't sure about sideways shift when I got Commander but you get used to it. If you've changed down and pull and hold to right for about two seconds it jumps straight to Drive again.

AJ
31-05-2012, 06:23 AM
If you've changed down and pull and hold to right for about two seconds it jumps straight to Drive again.

I didn't know this. Thanks, will save me always banging it rapidly to the right :)

ClarkeyWKCRD
31-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks Bomber. I don't remember the dealer showing me how to get back to auto from the manual shift. Saves me going to the handbook when I get it. The wait is killing me!