Morris 4x4 Jeep
Find out how to advertise on Ausjeep?

WK2 - Parking sensors - too much?? [Archive] - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

PDA

View Full Version : WK2 - Parking sensors - too much??

pwy
26-04-2012, 07:49 PM
I'm a gadget lover and I never thought that you can have too many gadgets....

My new WK2 Overland has front and rear parking sensors plus reverse camera. The sensors are very sensitive, starting to beep from about 2m distance. When parking anywhere in the city it is very rare that you do not get within 2m of any obstacle or car at the front, side or rear causing wild beeping concerts.

For example when parking at home I drive into my neighbours parking space and then reverse out turning 90 degrees into my parking space.
This means first all front sensors tell me I'm getting close to the concrete wall. Then wen reversing the sensors on the right side start beeping front and rear because I get within 1m of a concrete pillar. Then the beeping continues because I now get into the parking space and close to the garage door while still close to the pillar with the front sensor.
Overall the beeping never stops and while the EVIC shows which sensors are activated I use the mirrors or reverse camera and do not have time to look at the EVIC. This basically makes all the sensors pretty worthless as I now just ignore them most of the time.

I know, not a big problem but it makes me wonder if we now really have too many electronic "helpers" in the modern cars.

To put it into perspective, this is the only annoying part of my WK2. Never owned a car which I liked more than this WK2 :D

fester
27-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Maybe Jeeps calibration is just crap. I've been in a friends 5 series BMW many times and his sensors (front and rear) work brilliantly and are very necessary in his driveway which requires a 5 point turn to spin the car around to drive out forward. Unless you fancy a 50 metre reverse up a near 45 degree incline after a 90 degree bend out the driveway.

His probably don't start to register until the object is about 1 metre away. His however does have a good screen display for proximity to tell which sensors are most active. It's one of the best I've seen and if I were in his shoes would appreciate them greatly. Not sure how his new Audi functions haven't seen that yet but obviously they are only as good as the software behind them.

pwy
27-04-2012, 06:14 PM
The WK2 does have a good display but if I'm reversing I'm not looking at the display in the dash and it is often covered by the steering wheel.
But the sensors definitely come on too early. Would be nice if this would be adjustable to a shorter distance.

drover
27-04-2012, 06:25 PM
The need for these sensors in cars just amazes me, the back of my vehicle can be 15mts and all I use is mirrors.

DownSouth
27-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Im ready to rip the bloody mirrors off, when Im reversing my boat the mirrors drop down and I have to reset them so I can see the boat going down the ramp or into the shed. Good feature if you NOT towing. I should read the manual I suppose you can turn them off.

pwy
28-04-2012, 05:29 AM
Im ready to rip the bloody mirrors off, when Im reversing my boat the mirrors drop down and I have to reset them so I can see the boat going down the ramp or into the shed. Good feature if you NOT towing. I should read the manual I suppose you can turn them off.

Yes, you can turn the feature off. That was about the first setting I changed on mine. I mainly use the mirrors for reversing and have done so for the last 30 years so I'm slowly turning off all the irritating features.

bikemat
28-04-2012, 10:36 AM
I think they're great. Let you know if there's anything down below your line of sight and indicate exactly how far away you are from things around you. I never had a problem without them but certainly love having them

toedipper
29-04-2012, 07:13 AM
I think they're great. Let you know if there's anything down below your line of sight and indicate exactly how far away you are from things around you. I never had a problem without them but certainly love having them

I agree but then again I dont tow.

My drive is lined with trees and scrub. The mirror tilt allows me to simply follow the left edge and escape the dreaded mellaluca bend perfectly every time. Then it sets itself back to the perfect driving view. Can do it without but man it makes it simple.

I only turn on the sensors when I think I need them as I agree they are touchy and make you second guess.

cancan
29-04-2012, 01:43 PM
I turn the sensors off a fair bit, they are annoying although our garage is not deep so I need the front sensor to save me giving the wall a nudge, once it gets to 1 line I stop.

art_key
04-05-2012, 11:10 PM
I like the dipping mirrors, as they help save my 20inch rims. As for the sensors, you do have to 'learn' them. I do wish the front ones could be switched off separately and temporarily. My 2005 X5 had a handy switch on the dash, which did this, handy for drive-thru's and when people pass in front of your car, however after I sped up the front ones switched on again.

sege
06-05-2012, 08:36 PM
I like the dipping mirrors, as they help save my 20inch rims. As for the sensors, you do have to 'learn' them. I do wish the front ones could be switched off separately and temporarily. My 2005 X5 had a handy switch on the dash, which did this, handy for drive-thru's and when people pass in front of your car, however after I sped up the front ones switched on again.

I have got a button on the dash to the right of the Hazard button the has P off on it and that turns off my sensors. Only discovered it after going down a narrow track in the bush with the beeps driving me mad.