PDA

View Full Version : WG Transmission Problems

garydc
16-07-2012, 07:58 PM
My jeep's transmission has recently died, first I lost O/D, as I was about 80k east of Quilpie I slowed down and continued driving (Malfunction light on, manual says vehicle should still be drivable), along the way I lost third/fourth gear, had the vehicle transported to Brisbane for repairs.

On ringing around the various transmission repairers I recieved comments like " common problem with jeeps" "lucky it lasted as long as it did" I had just clicked over 62k.

Has anyone encountered similair problems?

Is it a "common problem"?

If it is it looks like goodbye Grand Cherokee, hello Prado

Gary

dblaj
16-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Diesel or petrol?

If it is a common problem with Jeeps - what is it? They should be able to tell you.

Unlikely to be an actual transmission failure, more likely to be the transmission going into limp mode to protect something else the computer has detected as a potential problem.

Prados never have any mechanical problems I take it?

garydc
16-07-2012, 08:46 PM
dblaj

Petrol 4.7l
Its not that Prados dont have problems but I could have got it repaired in Charlieville and not have had to transport to Brisbane.

Besides the Toyota parts can obtained from your local friendly chinese takeaway and which flyspec on the map doesnt have a chinese takeaway

Gary

PS will find out the exact problem and try and post tomorrow

Tiddy
16-07-2012, 09:43 PM
dblaj

Petrol 4.7l
Its not that Prados dont have problems but I could have got it repaired in Charlieville and not have had to transport to Brisbane.

Besides the Toyota parts can obtained from your local friendly chinese takeaway and which flyspec on the map doesnt have a chinese takeaway

Gary

PS will find out the exact problem and try and post tomorrow

I admire your optimism about getting a Prado repaired in Charleville & you may well have, but don't kid yourself it would be quick fix.

As for parts, most towns not only have a Chinese takeaway, which not only would have shithouse quality food, so would be their spare parts, but you would also have access to the Internet & Jeep parts can be ordered online very easily & plenty of people including me have done that too.

But if you want to to go a Prado your choice, but don't kid yourself that Prados are immune from serious problems as well, just google it.

tiddy

Roachy
16-07-2012, 11:04 PM
I don't know about it being a common problem as I haven't had any problems with my transmission in the 300,000km it has done except for a dodgy speed sensor. I reckon the guys you have spoken to don't know jack s**t about jeeps (nor do they want to from the sounds of it). That said you do need to keep up with regular servicing, as with any brand, to avoid problems. My GC has certainly outlived my mates Prado and with less problems overall.

timbotrog
16-07-2012, 11:52 PM
"Common problem with Jeeps" ROFLMFAO have never heard of a common problem with the transmissions on these things. My WG V8 is an '03 model with 118,000km on the clock.
Yours only has 62,000km on the clock an is at least 7 years old? Either it hasn't been seviced and maintained or the problem is something else completely causing the transmission to go into limp mode.
The 545RFE transmission is actually the worlds first 6 speed auto box. It has 2 seperate 2nd gears, one for the up shift and a seperate 2nd gear for down shifting. They are almost bullet proof as long as they are maintened.
Who did the last service on your transmission? Why aren't you taking it back to them to find the problem?
Who has been doing the regular services on the vehicle? It is possible they have done something thet has caused the limp mode to activate.
80km west of Quilpie is approximately 1000km from Brisbane. Did it show any other signs of problems on the drive there?
If any mechanic turned around and said something was a common problem with a certain type of vehice firstthing i would ask would be how many they have fixed with the problem and what causes it. As soon as they start deflecting the answers you know they are talking $hite. I personally would never go to any technician or mechanic that uses lame excuses like that, it just show how lazy they really are. Would you want someone with that attitude working on any car you own?
If you think that Toyota's, Nissan, Land Rover, Mistsubishi etc don't break down and can be repaired anywhere, once again ROFLMFAO, 99% of these small county town mechanics wouldnt know which end of a multimeter to use, let alone have an up to date OBDII or OBDIII scanner in their garage, then have that necessary part just sitting on the shelf, you really think so!
If the problem was that serious you would be towed just as far back no matter what you are driving.
Anyways, enjoy the Prado, $70k for a base model on the road compared to the same money for a new WK2 Limited V8 or Diesel. Lets see a japanese fridge or a luxury mercedes / Jeep co-designed 4WD. I know what I would rather drive.
Then again as this is your first post, happy trolling!

SNOWG
17-07-2012, 06:32 AM
Ok 2 thoughts, I had this happen once (limp mode) after the Jeep stealerships apprentices apprentice monkey boy who they charge u $130/hr to work on your car pinched a wire while servicing my Trans - unfortunately I had to get another wankership to fix it. More $ welcome to Jeeps and the thieves that maintain them.
With that said I would not swap it for a Prado ever!

The 545RFE is supposedly pretty bullet proof as said, the only real failures I have heard about and seen is the accumulator plate that screws into the Valve body to hold in the pistons can pop a screw
These units are known for breaking/bending this accumulator plate and snapping the screws that hold it down. There are several accumulator pistons and springs ( in a row ) under this plate that put a lot of pressure on it. If the fluid isn't burned and no excessive amount of debris in filter and pan you might get away with just valve body work. If you have it rebuilt there is a much thicker, heavier duty plate available among other updates.

Transgo make a heavier plate with there 545RFE shift kits (bout $80) for kit. I have a few kits in the shed. (let me know)

If your able to drop the pan, scope the plate if it's bent it's quite an easy cheap fix.

Google it, you'll see pics of this scenario and fix.

http://img.tapatalk.com/3aa3afb2-7a8b-49ab.jpg

SNOWG
17-07-2012, 06:52 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/3aa3afc1-7f14-6cea.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/3aa3afc1-7f1f-2073.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/3aa3afc1-7f2f-6a73.jpg

Abraxix
17-07-2012, 08:08 AM
i like that these posts start with..
my problem is blah i rung around and common problem with jeeps..

holy dooooly if you called a tire shop to find out if they could repair your tire and they asked what it was for and you said jeep.. " oh that's a common problem with jeeps"

Pffffft yeah like getting a flat tire is a common problem only specific for jeeps..
it APPEARS that all the mechanics i go to where i live everytime i tell them something. it's all a common problem for a jeep. i'm actually really jack of it eh ?..?
but the 'good' thing is and it's been said above.. if it's such a common problem question them on it. ask them oh really? well what is it ?? what's the problem??
they become all speachless and clueless as though a case of amnesia has come accross them...

but then when you do kinda ask them even more about it if it's such a common problem why havn't they fixed it? if it's such a common problem you'll know exactly how to fix it and my labour costs will be down to an hour as it's so common, you can almost screw the mechanics if they are being smart about it...

but as others have also said,
i've had my jeep admitedly for only a few months but i have all the servicing records and not once has the transmission faulted...

213,000 k's 2002 V8 4.7L Grand Cherokee Laredo... soooooo i'd say liek everyone else it's probably not a fault with the tranny but more something else ;)

good luck fixing the issue though and if you do jump to a prado. let us know how it goes...

Elvman
17-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Hey mate. You said you had it transported to Brisbane. If your near the westside have a chat to Peter from footomotor in sumner park. His good with jeeps, works on a lot of then and has owned a few including a wj.

Glenm
17-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Yes Ditto with the negative Jeep comments i walked into a "recommended" mechanic in Brissie to book in and fix a couple of minor things up on my ol Jackaroo ready for selling and when he heard i was stepping into a Jeep said "i'd rather keep and fix up your 16 old Roo than have a Jeep" :blah::blah: i told him he was full of $--- turned around and walked out, got the Grand and have never looked back, bought another Chrysler product which me & the Mrs love (300c) and am now looking at getting a new Grand. people have such short memories the first J'roos had some issues and the same stupid mentality people never forgave them even though the newer ones were great motors.

The main thing with any make is keep em serviced which makes me wonder has your tranny ever had a service i think of the top of my head supposed to be around 48k so even if it was done around every 50 should be fine imo.

Now dont mean to jump in on your thread but i had mine serviced at the stealership last time i will be doing this myself this time around, just got a price off supacheap - spin on & pan style filter & gasket around $75, price no-worries just wondered if anybody has bought this kit from them and is it o.k. or any issues.......where do you guys get yours!

Glen

vk2jdh
17-07-2012, 02:38 PM
My jeep's transmission has recently died, first I lost O/D, as I was about 80k east of Quilpie I slowed down and continued driving (Malfunction light on, manual says vehicle should still be drivable), along the way I lost third/fourth gear, had the vehicle transported to Brisbane for repairs.

If it is it looks like goodbye Grand Cherokee, hello Prado

Gary

You need to get a dealer to put his StarScan tool on it to see what the codes are.

Local mechanics eyes just glaze over when you ask them what the actual fault is. The are just parts jockeys, keep changing things till they fix it at your expense.

vk2jdh
17-07-2012, 02:41 PM
hey charge u $130/hr to work on your car pinched

Never had a labour charge from a dealer like that. Last one was $85 p/h

asp_777
17-07-2012, 03:55 PM
I have also come across this ignorant attitude regarding Jeeps. even from some of the better know after market suppliers. Yo just need to tell them to back their reason or in my case ignore them
One thing I must say is ONLY get your transmission done at a Jeep dealer. As using alternative fluids and parts WILL show. I once used a so called transmission expert and problems started straight away. A month later paid the coin and had Jeep do it. Problem solved. It's just about the only thing I'll get them to do.

garydc
17-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Guys

If you read my original post, I stated my problem, quoted the comments I recieved, joined this forum and asked a couple of questions if anyone could substaniate or refutiate the comments.

The Prado comment was tongue in cheek.

I like my jeep but on hearing the cost of repairs my wife's first comment was "we not be buying another jeep".

I am trying to find out other peoples experience with their jeeps in so far as the transmission is concerned.

In answer to a couple of questions:
The vehicle has been book serviced by the same mechanic since new, using only genuine parts.

The fault codes indicated low oil pressure in the transmission, (torque converter)

I will have a report on Friday and will post.

Gary

drover
17-07-2012, 08:35 PM
The Prado comment was tongue in cheek.
Gary

Thats how I read it, your right about the comments you can get about Jeeps been hearing them for years, 2 Grands and probably 300,000kms later, no real dramas and definetley no more than the 'Cruiser, Patrol or Landy's that I have had before.
As for the box it really could be anything from simple to basket case, cost to repair a Jeep box is really no differn't to a Cruiser or other auto, bloody expensive, just some workshops are drama queens.

Some fairly bite when you knock a Jeep, it's just a vehicle that will fall apart in due course like all the rest.:cool:

garydc
20-07-2012, 01:24 PM
The repairers diagnosis is "electronic solenoid pack had collapsed thus causing premature transmission failure"

Gary

vk2jdh
20-07-2012, 02:52 PM
The vehicle has been book serviced by the same mechanic since new, using only genuine parts.

The fault codes indicated low oil pressure in the transmission, (torque converter)

Gary

I hope he used the correct oil in the trany and put the filter gaskets on properly when he serviced it!

drover
20-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Solenoids dying is not an unusual problem with electronic auto's, MB, Tojo or whatever, my ZG had it and once replaced all was good. Most important like all auto's the correct fluid needs to be used with the NAG1/W5J400,MB 722.6 box the year model seems to dictate if ATF4+ can go in it, but there are other brands now that can be used instead of the "Mopar Gold Plated need a mortage to pay for Oil", and they are just as good.

garydc
22-07-2012, 10:34 AM
"I hope he used the correct oil in the trany and put the filter gaskets on properly when he serviced it!"

vk2jdh

This mechanic has been servicing/repairing my vehicles for a number of years before the jeep, he is very good and I dont believe is a rip off merchant.

He will say to you e.g. the front brakes are getting low, I will look at them next service and if they are still ok we check again on the service after that.

He also services vehicles belonging to my wife, son and daughter.

On entrusting the jeep to his care I stipuled that it was to be serviced by the book, using only genuine parts and oils and lubs, all I can do is trust that he has complied.

Gary

briteway
22-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Hi Garydc,

I'm sorry to hear your issues with the Jeep and the frustration it's causing but every vehicle will cause such frustrations when shit happens. Read this about Prado: http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1301382&postcount=55

Yes, we all have heard the negatives about our Jeeps from the mechanics. I'd just take it away and find someone who doesn't display the asshole attitude and give them my hard earned cash instead.

Jeeps are very reliable cars. I clocked up 200K on my WG and had no issues with the tranny and that included a fair amount offroading. It could be something as simple as the solenoid or as others have already suggested. Best thing is to take it to the dealer to diagnose with their StarScan and give you a quote on the repair. Then you can ring around other mechanics to quote you based on that. Going to them first, as stated earlier also, could end up costing you a lot as they won't be able to tell you exactly what's wrong until they guess by changing the parts at your expense, unless it's something really obvious when the pan is dropped.

I hope you get it fixed soon and keep enjoying this brand.