WK2 front recovery hooks...again.. [Archive] - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

PDA

View Full Version : WK2 front recovery hooks...again..

Felix
20-08-2012, 09:44 PM
has anyone in Brisbane fitted these yet?? if so, where did you get them?? were they easy to fit?? & what was the price??
cheers

Gazz1958
21-08-2012, 07:07 PM
I can't answer all your questions but I have just had one fitted by my Jeep dealer. They are a original part for the Australian market. To fit one I would expect you would need to remove your front bumperbar

Gazz

Felix
21-08-2012, 09:33 PM
thanks for the reply Gazz, what did it cost from dealer? or was yours one of those that were supplied free from dealer.
cheers
dave

Tharni
22-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Hey Felix,

I had the front recovery hook (there's only 1 - LHS of vehicle) fited by a Jeep dealer a few weeks after taking delivery. Bought the hook itself as a part then got it fitted a few weeks later.

From memory the part was around $250-$300 and fitting somewhere around $120 (hard to tell as I had other things fitted at the same time).

Installation didn't look too complicated as it's really only the hook and a thick steel mounting plate, but I had it done by the dealership anyway so I know it was done right & I'm covered. The bumper definately has to come off to fit the part.

If you want some more info let me know, I can post some pics too if you think this might help you.

drover
22-08-2012, 05:58 PM
I would really love to see some before , after phot's of these things to see what the big problem is with sorting something out.

GMWK2
23-08-2012, 07:59 AM
Here are a couple of photos that might help.

JnK
23-08-2012, 08:03 AM
There's a number of threads on this forum and Jeepgarage.org relating - the full story and heaps of information.
in the meantime if you want to purchase one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jeep-WK-Grand-Cherokee-GENUINE-Mopar-Front-Recovery-Hook-Part-CH8220WKRH-/300736681437?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item46054d95dd#ht_1524wt_984
John

drover
23-08-2012, 06:41 PM
That ebay link gives great schematics of the hook and it wouldn't be that hard to make a couple of brackets and I think I'd make an eye instead of a hook. Removing the bumper though is always a pain.
Looking at the prices charged, well.
Have to have 2 fitted though as slinging off one would not be a good idea at any time.

fester
25-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Man that was a long wait for a very simple bracket.

4dmad
25-08-2012, 02:30 PM
So true fester. They would be very easy to copy and make one for the drivers side. They are easy to fit, hardest part is pulling the lower part of the front bumper off.
While I was in there I pulled the screw in eye assembly box thingy off the drivers side, which was a lot easier than I thought originally.

fester
25-08-2012, 03:53 PM
So true fester. They would be very easy to copy and make one for the drivers side. They are easy to fit, hardest part is pulling the lower part of the front bumper off.
While I was in there I pulled the screw in eye assembly box thingy off the drivers side, which was a lot easier than I thought originally.

Does the drivers side have the same bolting points as passenger. If so yes the bracket would be easy to copy and the hook looks reversible.

Could easily be made with bend the opposite way too and spaced out with an extra length and hole at front for a hook or shackle. Thus doing away with the cost of the factory hook seeing as it only bolts to the body through the bracket.

drover
25-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Or extend the bracket with an eye for a shackle, someone should be able to knock a couple up easy as, wouldn't cost much at all.

fester
25-08-2012, 08:15 PM
That's what I meant drover but I think if the loop was on the side that bolts to the body now it would be too close to the bumper opening to work without damaging the bumper. That's why I suggested reversing it and packing it out to maintain the tight clamping effect against the frame but to offset the loop so it ends up about where the factory hook option sits.

I'd have to have a WK2 to see for myself.

5spiderG
28-09-2012, 10:06 AM
do we really need to use a torque wench on these as suggested in the installation manual, or do you think extra firm is enough?

timbotrog
28-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Does the drivers side have the same bolting points as passenger. If so yes the bracket would be easy to copy and the hook looks reversible.

Could easily be made with bend the opposite way too and spaced out with an extra length and hole at front for a hook or shackle. Thus doing away with the cost of the factory hook seeing as it only bolts to the body through the bracket.

I do remember seeing somewhere on ebay a left and right pair of these for sale on ebay. The were advertised for the 2011/2012 WK2.

I can't find the item again, it has been a few weeks. But it makes me wonder if selling only one was the cheap way out for CJD Australia.

fester
28-09-2012, 12:17 PM
You could be right timbo as most manufacturers only do a single one. Let's face it they have met their obligation with one, two is just extra cost to bring in and sit on the shelves as not everyone will bother to buy 2. Heck at Jeeps price who could afford 2. My Nissan only came with one even though it was symmetrical and the holes were available on the other side. Mind you the second one only cost me $50.

jay_930
02-10-2012, 01:31 PM
My 2 cents... I think the nudge bar brackets could provide a very easy solution to this whole 2 recovery points issue.

I just installed the nudge bar/bracket kit the other day and noticed that the recovery hook bolts straight on to the nudge bar bracket (passenger side) as does the screw in tow hook on the other side. Reversed, a second hook almost bolts straight onto the drivers side bracket but one bolt is just out of alignment. My thought was just to use the one bolt, then have the rest altered or welded onto the bracket.

Then I got thinking... rather than fork out for 2 mopar hooks, I could get someone to fab two rated points up with holes for shackles?

PS. both nudge bar brackets are the same thickness, and have the same amount and size bolts connecting them to the chassy, so one could only assume they are equally as strong.

Hope this makes sense btw.

fwdjeep
12-10-2012, 01:25 PM
My dealer just quoted $552.00 fitted which i think is just a jeep rip off.

drover
12-10-2012, 05:40 PM
At that price, you would have to be an idiot to spend that sort of money, how could anyone put that sort of price on what is basically bits of scrap steel pressed into shape and which a metal basher could knock up during his lunch break.
Unbelievable.

fester
12-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Exactly, I would have said fully fitted $200 and that would still be top dollar.

fwdjeep
12-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Brisbane local dealer seems to be too dear ebay even with postage still cheaper

cruiserlux
12-10-2012, 08:01 PM
If you ordered your GC before 20 Jan the hook is available at no cost. Speak to your dealer an tell them to read bulletin 22082. Just confirmed with Chrysler that this is correct and mine will ne fitted in the next couple of weeks.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Gazz1958
14-10-2012, 09:18 PM
thanks for the reply Gazz, what did it cost from dealer? or was yours one of those that were supplied free from dealer.
cheers
dave

Sorry for the delay, mine was a dealer suplied and fitted

Gazz1958
14-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Also the hook is rated to 4500Kg, I don't think you would need two. The nudge bar will only work with a GC that doesn't have adaptive cruise control

timbotrog
02-11-2012, 01:03 AM
Just saw these on ebay.com if anyone is interested. They would have to be the same the world over wouldn't they???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-O-E-M-Mopar-11-12-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-Front-Tow-Hooks-Kit-/170915904176?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item27cb61bab0

JnK
02-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Just saw these on ebay.com if anyone is interested. They would have to be the same the world over wouldn't they???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-O-E-M-Mopar-11-12-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-Front-Tow-Hooks-Kit-/170915904176?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item27cb61bab0

No they aren't the same.....

If you check back through the recovery hook posts that have been going for about the last year you will see that on 2012 and onwards models the front crossmember was changed on WK2 export vehicles (apparently to comply with Euro Pedestrian Regs) - hence no recovery hooks.
The only option available to Australian owners is to purchase the Mopar hook (which is made in NZ by BestBars, the same manufacturer that makes the Mopar tow bar).
This hook comes with an adapter bracket to fit the LHS of the vehicle and is rated to 4500k. Not hard to fit DIY and available from Ebay in Australia.

If you are likely to ever want your Jeep recovered then the money spent on this hook will be more than worth it.
There is NO possibility to attach a strap elsewhere at the front without risk of considerable and expensive damage.

Rubi2012
02-11-2012, 10:35 PM
I have a 2012-13 front recovery hook for sale if any one is interested ,removed from my 2013 as I have fitted the ECB Bar

randolff
03-12-2012, 10:24 PM
I have a 2012-13 front recovery hook for sale if any one is interested ,removed from my 2013 as I have fitted the ECB Bar
So i guess that means the tow hook won't fit with the ECB bar fitted.... not good.

LeCheese
04-12-2012, 10:43 PM
I know it's probably difficult, but why aren't they trying to make everything compatible...

timbotrog
04-12-2012, 11:02 PM
I know it's probably difficult, but why aren't they trying to make everything compatible...

They had to change the front chassis rail design to accomodate the European, (and Australian as our ANCAP/ADR is based on European regs), for pedestrian collision safety requirments.

Funny thing is the yanks have different safety requirments, but due to such high numbers being sold to the export market, it was easier for them to change all models to suit.

No one initially thought about the problems with a lack of off road recovery points...:rolleyes:

yoda42
05-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Timbotrog the USA WK2's all still get the front tow hooks, it is only export, Euro and Aus etc that get the deleted tow hook version.
Aus does not have the same pedestrian crash laws as Euro, ours are less stricked and we could have the front tow hooks it's just jeep only run one export production line and the Aus market is too small to warrant the change to front hooks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD