GC WK2 sand issues [Archive] - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

PDA

View Full Version : GC WK2 sand issues

topspark
02-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Gday all
Having just read the latest 4x4 Australia, there are several reports of the GC WK2, shutting down whilst driving in sand mode.
This has related in the vehicles having to be rescued or recovered.
Has anyone experienced this problem?
cheers

JnK
02-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Gday all
Having just read the latest 4x4 Australia, there are several reports of the GC WK2, shutting down whilst driving in sand mode.
This has related in the vehicles having to be rescued or recovered.
Has anyone experienced this problem?
cheers

Sorry to redirect you elsewhere - but you might be interested to have a read through this......http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=44722
John

Heb72
19-12-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm currently on Fraser Island in a 2012 WK2 CRD with quadra lift and a friends WK2 2011 v6. 3 days ago my front wheels disengaged and left me stranded 1 hour away from the beach on an inland track. $450 later on the back on of a tilt tray I had the car back on the beach in 2wd. After driving a while the system reset itself. I have since used it without issue. BUT my friend has just had the same thing happen getting out of a track on the beach leaving him bogged as well. After being pulled out the and driving down the beach in 2wd the system again reset itself. Seems to be a vehicle fault and I'll be straight to the dealer when I return home. Won't be trying any more inland tracks for the rest of the holidays and will stick to low tide driving along the beach. ::mad:

yoda42
19-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Heb72 put it in low range, the fault light will still come on but you will still have 4x4( drive to the front wheels) as low range locks drive 50/50 front to rear and is not affected by this fault

SeaComms
19-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Do you guys have the ability to disengage the ESP or traction control system? This causes problems with the JK in soft sand and mud asbut keeps apply the brakes thinking it has wheel slip.

Sent automatically by Tapatalk while I was busy working. Honest boss...

Felix
19-12-2012, 09:31 PM
when I bought this up while getting mine serviced, the dealer said they knew about the problem & it only happened when driving through really soft sand for a fair while, said things start to get hot because of slippage & computer thinks it wll damage vehicle so shuts it down. if they are like a lot of vehicles, a complete shutdown, sit for a while so everything can reset & start up again can usually clear a lot of probs..worth a try at least..

Heb72
20-12-2012, 07:27 AM
Heb72 put it in low range, the fault light will still come on but you will still have 4x4( drive to the front wheels) as low range locks drive 50/50 front to rear and is not affected by this fault

Hi yoda42
Unfortunately this fault prevents the engagement of low range. Quite embarrassing when a Mitsubishi delica can drive past you! Even had backpackers say that you should only bring 4x4's to Fraser Island. Can't argue when only the back wheels are turning.

Heb72
20-12-2012, 07:30 AM
Unfortunately no manual override on GC's. Albion Jeep can expect me in the next few days.

Baxter
20-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Hi Heb72
What PSI are you running on Fraser,it can make a big difference going from say 18 to 15 with the amount of wheel spin and this may stop the overheating of the electronics

yoda42
20-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Hi yoda42
Unfortunately this fault prevents the engagement of low range. Quite embarrassing when a Mitsubishi delica can drive past you! Even had backpackers say that you should only bring 4x4's to Fraser Island. Can't argue when only the back wheels are turning.

Hi heb72,
Yes I know you can not engage low while he fault is active, but you said your GC reset its self after a bit while you where still on the beach, so put it in low and it would get you through, also until you get the fix when ever you go on sand just use low straight a way!, and you won't get stuck in 2wd, I was just trying to give you an option to get you through untill you can get the fix done.
Yoda

mikehzz
20-12-2012, 06:15 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I use low all the time on sand in my 04 CRD. Otherwise you tend to dig a hole very easily with the rear wheels because the Quadra Trac 2 doesn't engage the front until too late sometimes. Low locks the centre diff so no problem. Is it basically the same with the WK2 except for some traction control?

Heb72
20-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Hi Heb72
What PSI are you running on Fraser,it can make a big difference going from say 18 to 15 with the amount of wheel spin and this may stop the overheating of the electronics

Hi Baxter, I was running 22psi but the other GC was running 18 when it happened. The electronics shouldn't overheat. It's supposed to be a 4x4!

Heb72
20-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Hi heb72,
Yes I know you can not engage low while he fault is active, but you said your GC reset its self after a bit while you where still on the beach, so put it in low and it would get you through, also until you get the fix when ever you go on sand just use low straight a way!, and you won't get stuck in 2wd, I was just trying to give you an option to get you through untill you can get the fix done.
Yoda

Thanks Yoda,
I'm just annoyed. I had to leave my wife and 2 kids alone on the track while I arranged for them to be picked up.

I tried quite a few things to get it reset but it doesn't seem to rest until you get above 30 Kph on the beach. Unfortunately I couldnt do this on the tracks

I have since found out that it is a known fault and a module is available at the dealer. They could have advised me of this before my trip when I had it serviced 2 weeks ago!

yoda42
20-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Heb72 the thing is not all wk2's have this fault (mine does not and I've towed our camper trailer quite a few times on sand), you basically have to wait and see if your one of the unlucky ones and then get it fixed, I know that sucks when your family are stranded and I'd be pissed if it happened to me, but untill it happens there seems to be no way to tell which ones will fail
Yoda

rocketrod1967
01-01-2013, 10:10 AM
This has happened to me on Stradie, as I was aware it "could be a problem" I tried to get it sorted at my dealer prior to the trip, chryslers scan tool showed no updates or faults with the vehicle so no fix has been made available or TSB issued nothing in the system for dealers to know about it till they get an angry WK2 driver in the workshop.
Mine did drop out of 4x4 but the gearbox itself did not show elevated temps at the time, I did try the low range idea but then the next issue came to light WK2 would not go faster than 40 kph in low range despite the engine doing only just over 2000 RPM kinda crap compared to my Prado!

fwdjeep
01-01-2013, 10:39 AM
If this is a know falt why has jeep aust not undertaken a recall

jzp
02-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Just happened to me on Stockton with my wk2 diesel & quadralift.

It didn't make it 500m odd to the beach from the manned entry. The vehicle disabled all settings, so you could only 'try' drive it in RWD mode. I needed to be pulled out to the harder sand nearer to the waters edge by a Mitsubishi Triton in high range with road pressures. Go figure.

I ended up calling Jeep assist where they said they would not help out as it was not on a main road. So, the other alternative was to pay an extortionist $350 to drag my sorry arse barely 700m back to the road, or see if I can get someone else to help me. Thankfully some young guys came to my rescue in their old patrol and got me back on the road. Thanks to Terry! Note the error disappeared as soon as I hit the blacktop!

Yes, I dropped the tyre pressures, yes I used the 'sand' setting and it failed dismally. so much so that I'm considering whether the vehicle is not fit for purpose. I purchased it for on road and offroad duties. It has a sand mode, so I'd expect it to work, plain and simple. Jeep Australia will know what I mean.

I have been a Jeep supporter for many years and it really upset me that the 6th Jeep I've owned let me down so badly. I'm reconsidering whether my 7th 4wd will be a Jeep.

Why? I watched countless soft readers lope past me effortlessly (toyota, Subaru, Nissan, Mitsubishi, etc, etc). Even a CRV come to a complete halt where I got bogged and drive out with no problems. This is not a driver error issue.

The Northern dealership will be seeing my car when I return back home next week. I'm hoping there is a fix for this and my faith in the brand can be restored.

adamt
02-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Drove about 15km's on the beach today, about 400m of very soft and steep dunes on and off the beach. Selected sand mode, low range and 25psi, had no issue's at all. In fact we have travelled over 2000km's on this trip and the GC has performed flawlessly. Cheers

XJ2NV
02-01-2013, 09:52 PM
I see a lot of posts here with people running ridiculous tyre pressures anything from road pressures to 20 odd psi. We have owned all sorts of 4wd cars from Patrols to Hilux's to Pathfinders and Navara's and now Jeep's and to be honest have NEVER got stuck in soft sand.

Off roading is not about who can tackle the biggest dune without letting there tires down or who can make the biggest rooster tail with there back wheels it is about getting out and exploring places a conventional car cannot take you.

You need to show respect to both your vehicle and the surrounding environment. Now we are not greenies by any stretch however we love getting out and about exploring off road and have seen way to many people getting bogged in all sorts of cars because they lack off road knowledge or are too lazy to let there tires down.

Last weekend 3 cars going down to the water on Bribie (downhill) got stuck one after the other and yep none let there tires down. We cruised past effortlessly in the GC at 16psi all corners and let the QD2 system do what it does best.

Just because a car is 4wd doesnt mean it is invincible and can tackle all. Know the limits of your car and your own skill level.

Given most GC's have 18 inch low profile tyres low tyre pressure is even more important, Can an 18 inch LP tyre even balloon?

There could well be a problem with the new WK2 I am not sure and cannot comment, what I can comment on is that the previous WJ and now WH we own will fail if pushed or worked too hard.

My 2 cents

jzp
03-01-2013, 06:52 PM
I see a lot of posts here with people running ridiculous tyre pressures anything from road pressures to 20 odd psi. We have owned all sorts of 4wd cars from Patrols to Hilux's to Pathfinders and Navara's and now Jeep's and to be honest have NEVER got stuck in soft sand.

Off roading is not about who can tackle the biggest dune without letting there tires down or who can make the biggest rooster tail with there back wheels it is about getting out and exploring places a conventional car cannot take you.

You need to show respect to both your vehicle and the surrounding environment. Now we are not greenies by any stretch however we love getting out and about exploring off road and have seen way to many people getting bogged in all sorts of cars because they lack off road knowledge or are too lazy to let there tires down.

Last weekend 3 cars going down to the water on Bribie (downhill) got stuck one after the other and yep none let there tires down. We cruised past effortlessly in the GC at 16psi all corners and let the QD2 system do what it does best.

Just because a car is 4wd doesnt mean it is invincible and can tackle all. Know the limits of your car and your own skill level.

Given most GC's have 18 inch low profile tyres low tyre pressure is even more important, Can an 18 inch LP tyre even balloon?

There could well be a problem with the new WK2 I am not sure and cannot comment, what I can comment on is that the previous WJ and now WH we own will fail if pushed or worked too hard.

My 2 cents

Not sure if youre having a dig or not, but I'd consider myself a proficient offroader who's done more than enough offroading to understand what's going on. I've had a host of modified TJ's and also got a rubicon and driven equivalent terrain with none of the fuss the WK2 had.

It was clear the WK2 was sapping the power from the tyres only to stop momentum.

... And for the record, my tyres were initially down to 15 psi, which I took further down to 11psi

JamesLaugesen
03-01-2013, 07:17 PM
Hey Jzp, do you think it could be heat related?
If the dealer gives you the run-around, I'd be trying to simulate and/or rule out individual characteristics of sand driving, and see if a particular thing triggers the problem.

I think we'd all agree that it sounds like a computer/logic oddity though.
So I'd be looking for circuits which intentionally disables the vehicle like this, and looking at what sensors or measurements could be throwing it off.

Real interesting though, please let us know how it pans-out.

Tiddy
03-01-2013, 07:46 PM

My 2 cents

Hi XJ2NV, all your points are very valid, for me in my WJ/G in sand I will always put it into low range rather than let it make up its own mind.

However, I think the issues being discussed here do not relate so much to tyres pressures & the like, but more a case of the 4wd system shutting down & drive being directed ONLY to the rear wheels.

I would think in these cases there would not be a lot anyone could do, dropping tyre pressures included.

So it does seem there is an inconsistent fault with the WK2 - some have it, some don't, which raises again the spectre of Jeep reliability, these sorts of issues just become a pain in the ar#e and it seems CJD aren't overly proactive to resolve it.

What Im now wondering is if you wanted to do a lot of off road stuff of vary degrees, would the WH be a better choice than the WK2?

tiddy

4WD4FUN
03-01-2013, 08:19 PM
I was up at double island in with a mate in his new WK2 we aired down the tyres in all vehicles.
So there was WK2, JK and Ford Ranger.
When the WK2 drove most places when it was in 4wd and then the driver stated he was getting warning lights and service 4wd light came on which is not good on the middle of the beach while trying to exit through soft sand and we watched in amazement as the front wheels stopped driving and his back two wheels where rooster tailing sand into the air and front wheels did nothing at all as if he placed it into two wheel drive.

Link to other thread which also has links to other sites.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118980

jzp
03-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Hey Jzp, do you think it could be heat related?
If the dealer gives you the run-around, I'd be trying to simulate and/or rule out individual characteristics of sand driving, and see if a particular thing triggers the problem.

I think we'd all agree that it sounds like a computer/logic oddity though.
So I'd be looking for circuits which intentionally disables the vehicle like this, and looking at what sensors or measurements could be throwing it off.

Real interesting though, please let us know how it pans-out.

Doubt it's heat related. It would only get hot because the 4wd system kept messing with the driveline itself...

Search the Internet and you'll see there is plenty of evidence in my favor.

Timjo
03-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Hi all

As per the many posts below, I agree this is a fault with the electronics. I was up at Bribie Island today, and I have been 4WDing many times before but this is the first time I have taken the Jeep GC WK2 onto the beach.

After driving a short distance on the beach (probably no more than 3 km), just as I decided to head into the softer sand towards the dunes to pull up for the day, the 'Service 4WD' warning light came on, and all of a sudden the car was only RWD - no drive to front wheels, so I got stuck pretty quickly. Although this issue doesn't impact low range, it will stop you from engaging low range while the warning light is on.

After much frustration and looking like a tool, I learnt that if you turn the engine off and then restart the car, there is a short window of time (maybe 10 secs) after restarting the car before the warning light comes back on. This gives you just enough time to engage low range, and actually get a working 4WD, to get you out of trouble. It is hardly the answer, but should get you out of trouble for a bit.

When I called the Jeep dealer fom the beach they said it just happens after driving through lots of very soft sand when the transfer case gets too hot. However I hadn't driven for very long or very far.

I will definitely be speaking to the dealer tomorrow and causing quite a fuss to get this fixed. If anyone else has any updates/feedback in this regard we really appreciate hearing it.

Apart fom this very annoying fault, very happy with the GC.

Tooves
03-01-2013, 10:21 PM
Hi Guys

Check out this thread, there is a module fix for this issue but they need to individually assess each vehicle. I've been in contact with Shona Ruse from CJD, just waiting on a service time to get mine assessed.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=44722

Grand Cherokee + sand = FAIL

Tooves

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Timjo
04-01-2013, 09:27 AM
Thanks Tooves

Just called dealer at Albion Chrysler Jeep Dodge. They are aware of the issue and have modules in stock. Just need to wait for a service time to get installed.

Cheers

mikehzz
04-01-2013, 06:03 PM
As a result, am I right in saying that if you slip it into low before going onto the beach then you will be OK? Just in case I'm out with a WK2 that hasn't had the module upgrade. It would be handy to know. I go into low in the WG so that the centre diff locks up.

Macca357
04-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Hi All, I have been following this thread with interest. I am the lucky owner of a JGC 2012 CRD with Quadra lift and off road adventure pack which changes the diff to ELSD / Quadra Drive II. I spent a week on Fraser Island back in July towing 1600kgs of Jayco Outback Hawk. The Jeep was awesome to drive and never had any issues around Indian Head or Inskip Point where it can get soft. Maybe we were one of the lucky ones. For those of you that are having issues all I can say is good luck and hope that you get it sorted soon so that you can enjoy getting back out on the sand living the dream. I'm sure you'll be all smiles in time and be happy to share your stories.
Cheers Macca.

XJ2NV
04-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Not sure if youre having a dig or not, but I'd consider myself a proficient offroader who's done more than enough offroading to understand what's going on. I've had a host of modified TJ's and also got a rubicon and driven equivalent terrain with none of the fuss the WK2 had.

It was clear the WK2 was sapping the power from the tyres only to stop momentum.

... And for the record, my tyres were initially down to 15 psi, which I took further down to 11psi

Hi,

No not having a dig, more of a clarification and late at night after a few beers probably is not the best time lol.

It is concerning that the WK2 seems to have issues on sand as per posts and I would dare say it would be a heat related issue. Sand driving is the most punishing when it comes to offroad work, every system and component works very very hard in this situation. The Aussie summer I am sure would be hotter than NAM and the beach tracks we usually see are in poor rutted and abused condition requiring the vehicles to work that much harder again.

I might just hold off ordering a WK2 for a while

fester
04-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Hi,

No not having a dig, more of a clarification and late at night after a few beers probably is not the best time lol.

It is concerning that the WK2 seems to have issues on sand as per posts and I would dare say it would be a heat related issue. Sand driving is the most punishing when it comes to offroad work, every system and component works very very hard in this situation. The Aussie summer I am sure would be hotter than NAM and the beach tracks we usually see are in poor rutted and abused condition requiring the vehicles to work that much harder again.

I might just hold off ordering a WK2 for a while

I don't think its as simple as heat issues, which would still be crap on Jeeps behalf if it was :- "After driving a short distance on the beach (probably no more than 3 km), just as I decided to head into the softer sand towards the dunes to pull up for the day, the 'Service 4WD' warning light came on, and all of a sudden the car was only RWD - no drive to front wheels, so I got stuck pretty quickly. Although this issue doesn't impact low range, it will stop you from engaging low range while the warning light is on."

DownSouth
05-01-2013, 12:20 AM
"After driving a short distance on the beach (probably no more than 3 km), just as I decided to head into the softer sand towards the dunes to pull up for the day, the 'Service 4WD' warning light came on, and all of a sudden the car was only RWD - no drive to front wheels, so I got stuck pretty quickly. Although this issue doesn't impact low range, it will stop you from engaging low range while the warning light is on."

roscoea26
05-01-2013, 06:45 AM
Hi All, I have been following this thread with interest. I am the lucky owner of a JGC 2012 CRD with Quadra lift and off road adventure pack which changes the diff to ELSD / Quadra Drive II. I spent a week on Fraser Island back in July towing 1600kgs of Jayco Outback Hawk. The Jeep was awesome to drive and never had any issues around Indian Head or Inskip Point where it can get soft. Maybe we were one of the lucky ones. For those of you that are having issues all I can say is good luck and hope that you get it sorted soon so that you can enjoy getting back out on the sand living the dream. I'm sure you'll be all smiles in time and be happy to share your stories.
Cheers Macca.

Quadra Drive II is a much better system than Quadra Trac when it comes to sand driving. I have a WH CRD with QDII and spend a bit of time at Fraser and it is a pleasure to tackle the soft stuff in low range.

When you engage low range the traction control is disengaged, I've played around disengaging traction control when in high range and found that in first gear the vehicle is just as capable in the soft stuff as 2nd low range...but when I have left traction control "on" it is not as good because traction control activates when there a bit of sliding around in the sand and slows momentum.

This is a long shot but is traction control is disengaged in the WK2 with Quadra Trac II when in low range? If it's not in either low or high range would this be causing the drive train to heat up?

Just a thought.

XJ2NV
05-01-2013, 06:44 PM
Quadra Drive II is a much better system than Quadra Trac when it comes to sand driving. I have a WH CRD with QDII and spend a bit of time at Fraser and it is a pleasure to tackle the soft stuff in low range.

When you engage low range the traction control is disengaged, I've played around disengaging traction control when in high range and found that in first gear the vehicle is just as capable in the soft stuff as 2nd low range...but when I have left traction control "on" it is not as good because traction control activates when there a bit of sliding around in the sand and slows momentum.

This is a long shot but is traction control is disengaged in the WK2 with Quadra Trac II when in low range? If it's not in either low or high range would this be causing the drive train to heat up?

Just a thought.

That is another valid point the Quadra Trac II system will behave differently than the Quadra Drive II system with the later being universally referred to as the better system.

Our WJ struggled a little in the sand (QTII) and with the WH (QDII) it just seems to do it a lot easier.

pauljp
06-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Hi All,

I have just taken my JGC11 onto some very soft sand at Blacksmiths beach. I started at 20 psi and almost ended up bogged. A very friendly local who offered some great advise suggest to go to 12 psi and (this is my first attempt on sand) then it drove fine. I did not get bogged and it drove well on sand. I did lock it into 4wd low and i am very lucky as i did not get any warning lights or failure lights. I suggest it is a Jeep thing with the relivability.

Could some one please let me know how i would know if i have QDII or QTII? I have a 2011 JGC v8 hemi with QD lift.

Thanks
Paul

scarps
06-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Not to throw the cat amoung the pidgeons, but the following might be of interest.

In the latest edition of Overlander 4WD magazine, there's 2 interesting articles.
1st article does a comparision between the WK2 Laredo CRD and the equivalent Mits Paj. Good read.

The 2nd article is about Tyres- tips and tech, and they're advising on page 105, that tyres 17" and above shouldn't reduce tyre pressures below 15psi as it severely reduces sidewall bagging, and increases damage potential.
Worth a read on both counts.

XJ2NV
06-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Not to throw the cat amoung the pidgeons, but the following might be of interest.

In the latest edition of Overlander 4WD magazine, there's 2 interesting articles.
1st article does a comparision between the WK2 Laredo CRD and the equivalent Mits Paj. Good read.

The 2nd article is about Tyres- tips and tech, and they're advising on page 105, that tyres 17" and above shouldn't reduce tyre pressures below 15psi as it severely reduces sidewall bagging, and increases damage potential.
Worth a read on both counts.

Another valid point

After checking out the Rangie forums it appears as though a larger diameter lower profile tyre doesnt balloon aswell as the traditional old school 31 x 10.5 x 15 oh remember the days

It may pay to experiment a little but dont go lower than 15psi. We have not been lower than 15 on the wh with 17's

roscoea26
08-01-2013, 07:58 AM
I read that article in the Overlander too and it was a good read I was expecting the usual bagging of the Jeep. However, the author did get a couple of things wrong and I sent a letter off the the editor. He said that what lives under the skin is pure Mercedes-Benz I pointed out that the engine is not now a Merc but the Italian VM Motori but they retained the Merc drive train.

He also said that the "Yanks have finally got the message that they need to have a common-rail turbo diesel in their line-up" I pointed out that they have had a common-rail in their line-up since 2005 when the WH was introduced with the 3.0l Merc CRD.

Obviously as he admitted he has not paid much attention to Jeeps :)

I run tyre pressures of 20 psi on the sand and find I have no problems, never been bogged at that pressure with the QDII.

mikehzz
08-01-2013, 09:40 PM
*Since around 2002 with the Merc 2.7 CRD.

rocketrod1967
14-01-2013, 01:15 PM
WK2 booked in for a reflash of DTAC module this week, codes that have been found relate to "implausible data from ABS" etc.
It's not heat related at all.
Its wheel speed sensors giving data outside preset parameters

So I've been able to find out.

sege
14-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Very interesting but makes perfect sense!

ChrisW
14-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Took my 2012 limited in for a reflash at Suttons Jeep in Sydney.
Been informed to wait a month as a official new module is going to released. Apparently the current one is only a 90% fix.
Anyone heard of this?

Tooves
14-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Just had mine done last week, I assume they're referring to the completion of the software code. Apparently the abs light will still display with this module in heavy conditions but won't affect anything.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

briteway
14-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Interesting thread, I read through every post. This issue is a real embarrassment, a 4x4 not capable of simple 4x4 tasks like sand, where AWD soft roaders do it without an issue.

Did anyone try and turn off the traction control when in high. I find that in all modern vehicles, traction control is an issue in sand. I have a WH and do pretty much all beach stuff in high without any issues. Last time I ran MT's at 14 PSI and it was fine prior to that I ran them at 18 PSI and noticed a bit of struggle or the need for heavier throttle. But when I ran AT's, ran them at 20 PSI almost like on bitumen.

But yeah, nothing worse than taking your pride on a far trip and this issue to happen while the Toyomitsunissan's drive past laughing thinking it's a "heep" of crap where in fact it isn't. Stock against stock, Jeeps kill them on rocks.

rocketrod1967
14-01-2013, 05:47 PM
No I didn't try it with the traction control turned off, just put it straight to sand/ mud and let the vehicle sort it out, did not hear the brakes grab or anything making strange noises while in the sand,I am disappointed that when I had the issue I thought ok put it in low range so I can keep 4x4 to get off the beach trouble was I had many klms of hard sand to travel before the exit point- I was unaware that low range is speed limited to 40 kph doesn't mater what you do with the throttle it will not go past that speed.

briteway
14-01-2013, 07:31 PM
I'm not sure if there's a difference between the CRD and HEMI but after snapping my front passenger side CV a couple of weeks ago at Stockton, I travelled in low range all the way to Sydney (190km) and could easily reach speeds up to 60 km/h, could probably go more but the engine was revving as if it was doing 180 km/h and temperature was going past the middle so I kept it at around 45-50 km/h and the temperature went back to normal. It was a hot day too, 36 deg. At those speeds it was revving between 2600 and 2800 RPM's.

In regards to the traction control, the vehicle isn't gonna do "it's" thing, you have to switch it off otherwise it'll sense slipping in sand and apply brakes thinking you're losing control. It'll just feel like the car doesn't wanna go. I'm not sure how it works in the WK2's with the sand/mud switch, one would assume that it would automatically switch off traction control when in that setting. Perhaps check in the manual if it mentions anything about traction control when in that setting.

GMWK2
15-01-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm not sure how it works in the WK2's with the sand/mud switch, one would assume that it would automatically switch off traction control when in that setting. Perhaps check in the manual if it mentions anything about traction control when in that setting.

I have had the "fix" applied to my GC. I've driven on the beach (it was fairly hard sand) and had no problem.

When in sand mode, the Electronic Stability Control is automatically turned OFF and the indicator light is illuminated on the dash (rev counter dial)(Labelled "23" on page 158 of the owners manual).

In addition, the Electronic Stability Control Activation/Malfunction indicator light is illuminated (Labelled "4" on page 158 of the owners manual).

Once back on sealed road and in auto mode, my GC takes about 1km of driving for these indicator lights to go out.

Been informed to wait a month as a official new module is going to released.

I'm in fairly regular contact with Chrysler and checked this just before xmas, but there was no firm ETA then - but I hope you are right.

(By the way - I have QDII)

briteway
15-01-2013, 02:47 PM
When in sand mode, the Electronic Stability Control is automatically turned OFF and the indicator light is illuminated on the dash (rev counter dial)(Labelled "23" on page 158 of the owners manual).

Aah thanks for clearing that up. So it's obvious that it's the module, what a flaw! So many people left embarrassed on their trips with their new Jeep. Appalling!

GMWK2
15-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Appalling!

Agree. And the fact that Chrysler have not undertaken a recall is also hard to understand. They are willing to allow owners to potentially get stuck and put vehicles and families at risk.

I was thinking about this again last night - This is really crying out for a class action. Any solicitors in the house?? Aggggh, dont get me started again....

I had more confidence in my previous 2002 Mitsubishi Challenger than I do in the GC.

Here is a photo of a rare sight - A WK2 on the beach.

robmac
15-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Folks,

Booked my MY2012 WK2 GC Overland for 10k service and asked the service department to reflash the computer to fix the sand issue. The service department claimed they had never heard of such an issue or fix. I immediately phoned the Chrysler Jeep customer service line and within 10 mins they called me back to advise that there was a fix and a technician would be on site at the dealers when my car was being serviced to flash the computer with the fix. Surely this should be a universal recall!

Woggy_G
15-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Folks,

Booked my MY2012 WK2 GC Overland for 10k service and asked the service department to reflash the computer to fix the sand issue. The service department claimed they had never heard of such an issue or fix. I immediately phoned the Chrysler Jeep customer service line and within 10 mins they called me back to advise that there was a fix and a technician would be on site at the dealers when my car was being serviced to flash the computer with the fix. Surely this should be a universal recall!

Please let us know about the details. What is the fix called etc.
I'm sitting on 7K and would like it done when the car goes in for its first service.

Savvas
16-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Took my 2012 limited in for a reflash at Suttons Jeep in Sydney.
Been informed to wait a month as a official new module is going to released. Apparently the current one is only a 90% fix.
Anyone heard of this?

Before christmas, there was mention of a fix being in the approval stage in the US before being released as a TSB. It's been a long time coming.

vk2jdh
16-01-2013, 03:04 PM

In addition, the Electronic Stability Control Activation/Malfunction indicator light is illuminated (Labelled "4" on page 158 of the owners manual).
(By the way - I have QDII)

Was that the way before the update or after the update. I know in my WH QDII i can turn it off by holding the traction button in for 1 s or turn it all off buy holding it for 5S. I assume the WK2 only has the mode knob and no sep button.

jzp
21-01-2013, 11:59 AM
OK, an update on my car.

After lots of discussion and escalation - the service manager contacted Jeep and confirmed that my car VIN was indeed one of the cars that qualified for the software upgrade to deal with the sand issue. Apparently some other Grands have a mechanical limitation (not sure what that is about).

So, Jeep came out to the dealership to re-program the car so it does not go into limp mode when in sand. From what I understand, the car will however, still come up with error codes when driving in the same conditions.

Apparently Jeep are still working on a fix to get around the sensitivity of the ABS system. So, it seems what they have done so far is not actually a fix - just a workaround till the ABS TSB sand issue is formally issued by Jeep which may be some weeks away.

Hmmmm, not very satisfied!

P.S.
I believe the 2014 GC's will have a separate sand button, as opposed to being integrated into the 4WD modes dial. It must be a substantial change to do this!

Gazz1958
23-01-2013, 08:14 PM
I just had my 10000k service on my 2012 Overland and I asked the dealer and he said the same that there was no known issue so I've bought a OBDII reader so if I do get stuck I'll cancell the codes with it so I don't have to worry about limp mode or being stuck

:mrgreen:

jimmyb7
25-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Hi All,

I contacted Jeep to see if my vehicle was affected by this issue and received a reply back today stating that Jeep has the issue sorted and can be fixed by a software update. The emailed stated :-

"It is expected that the Remedy would be released to all Service Centres on 25-January-2013, essentially today.

However, if the update is released on 25-January-2013 in the US, it would effectively be available to us tomorrow.

To have the update completed, all that is required is an Appointment being made with your local Service Centre and the vehicle made available to them, for a short time."

Good news!

jjgc
25-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Thats great news,:p thank you to every body on this thread. I will be booking mine in next week.

rufus94
27-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Hey guys, been reading this thread with interest.
Had my GC on sand for the first time this weekend. I was heading down a pretty hairy track with really soft sand, so set it to SAND and put it in low range (have only had the car a month so was first time I'd used low range). a few hundred metres down the track, the SERV 4WD warning light came on.
When I got off the beach, it wouldn't come out of low range. Spent 3 hours trying everything under the sun, including a range of things that the Jeep Assist mechanic was telling me to do by phone - figure eights, disconnecting the negative on the battery to try reset the computer etc
Eventually resigned to the fact I'd have to have it towed back to Sydney from up the coast, I drove slowly a couple of Km's to the local servo / nrma.
When I pulled up, I pressed the 4wd low button and it
came out of low range. Haven't been game to try low range again until I get it checked by Jeep.
Has anyone else experienced problems getting stuck in low range?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Numb Thumbs
31-01-2013, 07:02 PM
I picked up my GC Laredo diesel today.

While there I talked to the Service Manager about the sand issue. He said that there are in fact two re-flashes to be done. The first is ready to go but the second is not yet available, close, but not yet.

The first one allows the system to stay in 4WD despite the disco light show of error lights. Hopefully the second one will stop the disco light show in the first place.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

JnK
01-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Check here for info - particularly post #487 from Selous.
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/grand-cherokee-sand-fail-44722-41.html#post751498

Numb Thumbs
09-02-2013, 03:39 PM
So does the "sand issue" affect ALL WK2's or only some of them?

Anyone know?

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

LeCheese
10-02-2013, 10:17 AM
I think it's only some, but there is no way of telling which do and which dont. Ours hasn't had a problem after a fair bit of heavy sand work *touch wood*

Landypete
11-03-2013, 11:31 PM
Hi everyone,

Wow!! Sure wished I had read this interesting thread before last Sunday.

Took my WK2 onto Stockton Beach for it's 1st Sand Drive & experienced the same 'Serv 4WD' error message, loss of drive to the front wheels & instant bogg down as being discussed.

Eventually got mobile & started to drive back in 2WD. Not sure how far I went but the system reset itself & went back into 4WD.

I was sure it was a software issue but it would not clear via the usual 'reset procedures' whilst stationary.

Having read this thread, I will be contacting my Dealer tomorrow & hope that the mentioned 'New' Module will be available.

What I am most disappointed with now, is the fact that there is no information available or given from the 'Jeep Assist' service, even at this late stage, when it is obviously a well known problem to the network.

Thank you to 'Timjo' for his input on this thread & his advice to select 4WD Low after switching the ignition on, before the fault logs, as it will not select any setting once the fault is displayed. If this information was given by the 'Jeep Assist' service, many situations may be avoided very quickly & easily.

I will be taking this matter up with my Dealer & will also contact Jeep 'Customer Care' to express my concerns.

Thanks everyone & stay safe.

shannonohalloran
12-03-2013, 01:02 AM
I have not has this problem wonder if it is an individual computer issue? I have a 2011 overland

shannonohalloran
12-03-2013, 01:15 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/11/hazy2a5a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/11/u2etu9ys.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/11/syzydu5a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/11/yvuhameq.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/11/yjuze5ug.jpg

MattG
12-03-2013, 04:50 PM
I've been following this up as I'm taking mine to Straddie for Easter and I've been told the fix for Australian dealers will be released on the 22nd of March. If I can't get it applied I'll take it on the beach anyway - I'm kind of interested to know whether it will fail or not (I'm confident low range will get me out of trouble, or worst case, a snatch strap!).

sege
12-03-2013, 08:04 PM
I've been following this up as I'm taking mine to Straddie for Easter and I've been told the fix for Australian dealers will be released on the 22nd of March. If I can't get it applied I'll take it on the beach anyway - I'm kind of interested to know whether it will fail or not (I'm confident low range will get me out of trouble, or worst case, a snatch strap!).

Now that's the sort of attitude I have taken - and no issues yet!:cool:

Richo1164
12-03-2013, 10:12 PM
Hey Guys,

Am I glad I found this site... Long term Nissan devotee however, have decided a change is as good as a holiday and have a new Laredo on order, due in a coupla weeks.:)

I will definitely be in contact with the dealer tomorrow to make sure this fix is done prior to delivery as Blacksmiths was planned as it's first test run!!!

Thanks for the tip and I'll be chatting with you in the coming weeks.

bmackin
21-03-2013, 11:45 AM
From my understanding they've already released an update for this. My dealer told me they updated it, when I had it in then. Of course he could've been telling me porkie pies. Or maybe this is a new issue, or the last update didn't fully resolve the problem.

I had mine on Fraser Island for 8 days without a problem. Although the Electronic Stability Control kicked in frequently while driving over 40km in soft sand. It didn't seem to matter that I had the suspension set to Sand/Mud.

noons
21-03-2013, 12:42 PM
One more day till the fix... Let's see if they live up to their word!

MattG
22-03-2013, 08:03 AM
From my understanding they've already released an update for this.

Yeah sorry I should have given an update to this... I've since been back to service and took the foreman for a test drive (for a separate issue). He had a quite a bit of different information about the sand issue to what I'd been told previously, and seemed to know what he was talking about. The fix has been released for quite some time apparently and is only valid for certain VIN ranges. He checked my Jeep after the drive to find it already had all the latest software (most likely the sand fix was applied at pre-delivery) - he showed me the software version code, but I didn't write it down unfortunately. I guess the only real test though is to take it on the sand!

josh333
22-03-2013, 06:50 PM
I had this SERV 4WD message today while driving along the beach near Dawesville Western Australia. Very scary and annoying loosing 4WD. I was fortunate to get off the beach in 2WD before driving straight to the service centre. They were embarrassed and stated that they were aware of the problem but were not clear as to what was required until they actually get my Jeep in there. It is booked in there Friday for a service and to hopefully rectify this very serious issue.

I took my 2011 JGC diesel for a service today in Bunbury. They advised that they had no definitive fix for the problem prior to the service. After the service they advised that there was an ABS lockup problem when I was on the beach, possibly due to the wheels spinning too much which caused the 4WD system to disable. Last I knew, wheels are going to spin off road with a 4WD! They said they found a stored error message on the computer which they cleared. I asked whether Chrysler will be notified and was told that if the error was active they would but because the error was stored they wouldn't unless it happens again (hopefully I'm not on a boggy beach with the tide coming in). I asked for a guarantee that the issue would not resurface but was told there was no guarantee and that I just had to monitor it. These issues are in my opinion very SERIOUS and need to be addressed by Chrysler as someone could be in serious danger if they get caught out in a remote area. I know all vehicles have mechanical/electrical issues but I haven't heard Landrover having issues with its extensively advanced electronic 4WD system on its late model D3/D4's. When the 4WD is active the JGC is more than capable but it needs both diffs to work for that to be the case.

BBK
08-04-2013, 12:47 AM
I contacted Jeep customer service last Wednesday. Couldn't speak to Shona as she was not in the office but Tracy, the other customer service officer, told me that they have issued a technical bulletin to the dealers about the sand issue. She was not sure whether or not it is a permanent fix. I took my car to the dealer and they updated the software and said it is gonna be a permanent fix.
I'm gonna test it next week to see if the issue has been resolved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Matty05
08-04-2013, 07:24 AM
Is there a TSB list for export WK2 somewhere on the net?

I can read through the TSB list on WK2jeeps.com but am thinking Jeep Australia would have another list

MattG
08-04-2013, 07:29 AM
After spending the week on Stradbroke Island, I can say the sand fix works solidly. I enabled Sand mode and initially had a small stab at the main beach entry/exit without lowering my tyres and had a bit of trouble coming back up - but it didn't stop. The next day I lowered my tyres to 22psi and it ate it for breakfast. Got a warning light on the dash and crapped myself for a second before I realised it was the low tyre pressure one.

There was a number of cars that arvo getting stuck on the exit as it was very chopped up with a tight turn (end of the Easter long weekend). There was even a young bloke in a stock WH that managed to tear the front air dam off his dads car. It was one of those adrenaline inducing moments where a crowd has gathered to see the carnage (and help push of course). The WK2 sailed through it though, no worries.

I've got some video of it doing the exit a couple of days later I'll post up. I also did a number of stop/starts in the super soft stuff at the top of the beach with no problems. The traction control disabled light comes on when you select Sand Mode - think this was part of the fix?. For the record mines a late 2012 CRD Laredo.

scarps
08-04-2013, 04:15 PM
After spending the week on Stradbroke Island, I can say the sand fix works solidly. I enabled Sand mode and initially had a small stab at the main beach entry/exit without lowering my tyres and had a bit of trouble coming back up - but it didn't stop. The next day I lowered my tyres to 22psi and it ate it for breakfast. Got a warning light on the dash and crapped myself for a second before I realised it was the low tyre pressure one.

There was a number of cars that arvo getting stuck on the exit as it was very chopped up with a tight turn (end of the Easter long weekend). There was even a young bloke in a stock WH that managed to tear the front air dam off his dads car. It was one of those adrenaline inducing moments where a crowd has gathered to see the carnage (and help push of course). The WK2 sailed through it though, no worries.

I've got some video of it doing the exit a couple of days later I'll post up. I also did a number of stop/starts in the super soft stuff at the top of the beach with no problems. The traction control disabled light comes on when you select Sand Mode - think this was part of the fix?. For the record mines a late 2012 CRD Laredo.

Thnx, gr8 update

Numb Thumbs
08-04-2013, 04:20 PM
I was in at the dealers today and their story was that my 2013 Laredo has "all the latest updates so don't worry".

I'll still check in with them again in a few weeks to see if a new sand update has come in...

I had the dreaded "hand brake warning light won't go out" syndrome. It stops the cruise control working, which is very annoying, more so than the constant flashing hand brake warning light and the occasional "ding!" It is a 10 second fix, just a case of a wire being set too short to the switch. They just give it a tug, and the problem goes away.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

JnK
09-04-2013, 07:43 AM
Check out this post from yesterday (post #637) on Jeepgarage http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/grand-cherokee-sand-fail-44722-54.html
John

Numb Thumbs
12-04-2013, 04:44 PM
I sent Shona an email and she phoned me back. Unfortunately I was actually - embarrassing to admit... - washing the car at the time.

Apparently, the fix is a software one and it is NOT on a disk sent out to the dealers. It is on their website for download.

I shall have words with Northern on Monday.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

Numb Thumbs
13-04-2013, 07:18 AM
But the real question here is:

Why do I know the fix is available on the Jeep web site, and the dealers apparently don't?

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

sege
13-04-2013, 10:50 AM
But the real question here is:

Why do I know the fix is available on the Jeep web site, and the dealers apparently don't?

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

Because we care AND THEY DON'T!!!

drover
13-04-2013, 03:43 PM
I am most impressed with you WK2 owners:), by the time I'm ready to replace the WG you will have got Jeep to sort all the bugs out and like my current end of model WG, my future end of line WK2 should perform perfectly.:cool: (be a few years yet)

Numb Thumbs
13-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Glad we could be of service, Drover.

No sacrifice too great and all that sort of thing... :rolleyes:

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

MattG
13-04-2013, 05:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-RQwMSXs_8&feature=youtu.be

it's pretty weak action (was much better earlier in the week), but nevertheless...

Numb Thumbs
15-04-2013, 03:39 PM
I'm booked in for the "Sand Issue" fix on Friday. Good thing as I am off Friday afternoon to drive over to the SA border to do the Border Track on the weekend.

It will be interesting to see how the Jeep goes in the sand after the "fix".

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

Savvas
29-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Do you reckon these may be the TSB's, finally?

http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_2100313.pdf

http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_2100413.pdf

Grand Ross
29-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Hi all, I just joined up so I could add my woes. Have been following this post since I went to Beachport in March and had the Service 4wd error. With a Big Desert trip booked for Anzac weekend I took to dealer and got the fix which was first planned to be the temperary one but when I picked the Grand up they told me it was the official update. Well it didnt work, about half hour into the track triving we got to some loose sand and I have Serv 4wd and down to 2wd stuck on a slight incline. One of fellow travellers had a JK code reader so we hooked it up and while it didnt show codes we did reset codes function and it seemed to clear the error - or maybe it cleared in time? Any way I drove very carefully to avoid setting off stability control as much as I could and didnt have a further problem for 3 days and that included some furious driving up some difficult dunes. I have the Overland model and as well as getting Serv 4wd I also got FCW off error. FCW is forward collision warning system and this primes/pressurises the brakes ready for emergency breaking. This would seem to indicate the ABS has shut down which is tied to the stability control that is the root of all this evil. I will be interested to hear from anyone else who has had the fix and still has the problem. I have a trip to Alice via Oodnahdatta track, Coober Pedy, and Dalhousie. There can be soft sections of sand and I am getty worried. I would realy like a sure fire way of resetting error on the spot without getting towed out. Not sure if the code reader realy did reset the problem or not.

Correy
29-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Hey NumbThumbs, how did you go on the Border Track after you had the sand fix?

Correy
Donate Blood 13 14 95
www.donateblood.com.au

Numb Thumbs
29-04-2013, 06:49 PM
The sand was extremely dry and soft - the softest I have experienced on the Border Track. I had to do a gentle snatch on a Navara at the bottom - on the flat - of one dune.

I worked out 18 PSI warm all round was the correct tyre pressure. I used Sand and Mud mode for the big dunes, Auto worked fine for the firm sand, clay and rocky bits.

Once I worked out how to drive the thing I was roaring straight up the dunes.

I had a heap of "Service Air Suspension" error messages and I got the "SERV 4WD" yellow one on a tight, soft corner.

I have it booked in to get them checked out in a week or two. I have had the "Service Air Suspension" errors on speed humps around town...

We did the southern section on Saturday - the one way bit - and then hooked back north, crossed back into Vic at Pinnaroo and did the bottom section of the northern section to Settlement Road to see the meteorite crater salt lake on Sunday. It started to rain on Sunday around 10:00 am.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

silverfox1111
01-05-2013, 08:16 AM
G'day everyone
I've had my 2012 GC Laredo diesel since 10/12 & was looking forward to some easy four wheeling on the beach & the bush, however after reading these posts I'm not feeling to confident.
Has anyone tried one of those OBD readers that give all data on the car to a phone or tablet. These will list all faults & can supposedly clear them.
Might be a way to get going again when the car decides to shut down.
Silverfox1111

Numb Thumbs
02-05-2013, 06:44 AM
Try to get in to a Jeep dealer and have the Sand Issue Software Fix done if you can, for peace of mind.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

MattG
02-05-2013, 07:27 AM
Numb Thumbs, just wondering - you got the "serv 4wd" message after the sand fix, but did it actually drop out of 4wd into 2wd? Were you in Sand mode at the time?

Numb Thumbs
02-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Good question, Matt.

I swapped between Auto and Sand and Mud a fair bit. When you turn the ignition off, it reverts to Auto...

The system definitely did not revert to two wheel drive. And the error message disappeared when I turned the ignition off.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

Brettw
17-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Hi Grand Ross,

I would be concerned that the dealer did not install the correct TSB for the fix. There was previously a temporary fix available that I can confirm definitely worked (see link below). I know this because I got the serv 4wd message displayed but kept 4 wheels turning because of the fix. It was at Fraser Island in soft sand so I know that it was definitely in 4wd.

Have you contacted Shona or Tracey?

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/stuck-in-sand-with-4wd-malfunction-41410-18.html#post794621

Hi all, I just joined up so I could add my woes. Have been following this post since I went to Beachport in March and had the Service 4wd error. With a Big Desert trip booked for Anzac weekend I took to dealer and got the fix which was first planned to be the temperary one but when I picked the Grand up they told me it was the official update. Well it didnt work, about half hour into the track triving we got to some loose sand and I have Serv 4wd and down to 2wd stuck on a slight incline. One of fellow travellers had a JK code reader so we hooked it up and while it didnt show codes we did reset codes function and it seemed to clear the error - or maybe it cleared in time? Any way I drove very carefully to avoid setting off stability control as much as I could and didnt have a further problem for 3 days and that included some furious driving up some difficult dunes. I have the Overland model and as well as getting Serv 4wd I also got FCW off error. FCW is forward collision warning system and this primes/pressurises the brakes ready for emergency breaking. This would seem to indicate the ABS has shut down which is tied to the stability control that is the root of all this evil. I will be interested to hear from anyone else who has had the fix and still has the problem. I have a trip to Alice via Oodnahdatta track, Coober Pedy, and Dalhousie. There can be soft sections of sand and I am getty worried. I would realy like a sure fire way of resetting error on the spot without getting towed out. Not sure if the code reader realy did reset the problem or not.

Grand Ross
24-05-2013, 10:51 PM
Hi Brett
Good point about correct TSB, dealer re-applied the fix just in case something went wrong when they first did it. I will chase up just what TSB was applied. At my request they asked Chrysler Tech Support for a sure fire way to reset if the problem occurs, and answer was battery disconnect for about half hour and touch disconnected leads to discharge modules, or use any generic OBDC diagnostic tool to clear errors. Even though the tool won't show or report an error they say the clear error function will clear this problem. So I now have a tool. I don't get to sand often so apart from the trip to Alice in July it will be some time before I get to really try again.
BTW I haven't posted about this one but broke the transfer case in my car in the Victorian high country - pieces of gear escaped out of the casing and let the oil out of the hole. Didnt do anything that should have killed it. Amazingly I still had drive and only knew because of a big red puddle - big tow out. All fixed under warranty. Dealer says it's a first. Better be my last or this jeep will be my first and last.

4WD4FUN
24-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Good question, Matt.

I swapped between Auto and Sand and Mud a fair bit. When you turn the ignition off, it reverts to Auto...

The system definitely did not revert to two wheel drive. And the error message disappeared when I turned the ignition off.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

A mate that had the sand issue and fix had another issue on the beach next trip and there was another fix but this was to do with the ABS/brake controller in sand mode and a different TSB flash was required for this. So some WK2's require 2 different TSB flashes to fix issue. I will see if i can get his paperwork as he was given both notices.

Brettw
28-05-2013, 07:39 AM
A mate that had the sand issue and fix had another issue on the beach next trip and there was another fix but this was to do with the ABS/brake controller in sand mode and a different TSB flash was required for this. So some WK2's require 2 different TSB flashes to fix issue. I will see if i can get his paperwork as he was given both notices.

I recall that before the most recent TSB most dealers were unaware of the temporary fix that had to be applied as a replacement drive train control module. I had heard that some of the dealers just dug up existing TSB's and had a "that ought to fix it" attitude when in fact it was not the solution. I was also a victim of this "she'll be right" attitude from the dealers, until I contacted Chrysler/Jeep HQ in Melbourne to get the temporary (but reliable) fix.

Would be very interested to hear what TSB numbers he had applied (I haven't had the official TSB applied yet - and don't think I will until I'm confident that it actually works!)?

Brettw
28-05-2013, 07:40 AM
Hi Brett
Good point about correct TSB, dealer re-applied the fix just in case something went wrong when they first did it. I will chase up just what TSB was applied. At my request they asked Chrysler Tech Support for a sure fire way to reset if the problem occurs, and answer was battery disconnect for about half hour and touch disconnected leads to discharge modules, or use any generic OBDC diagnostic tool to clear errors. Even though the tool won't show or report an error they say the clear error function will clear this problem. So I now have a tool. I don't get to sand often so apart from the trip to Alice in July it will be some time before I get to really try again.
BTW I haven't posted about this one but broke the transfer case in my car in the Victorian high country - pieces of gear escaped out of the casing and let the oil out of the hole. Didnt do anything that should have killed it. Amazingly I still had drive and only knew because of a big red puddle - big tow out. All fixed under warranty. Dealer says it's a first. Better be my last or this jeep will be my first and last.

Hi Ross,

Yes if you could tell us what TSB they applied that would be helpful.
Some more details of my experiences in the post below...

Correy
08-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Is anyone able to confirm which TSB's apply to the fix? Cheers

Correy
Donate Blood 13 14 95
www.donateblood.com.au

shannonohalloran
08-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Never had any problems on sand as per my last post, but last night after a good 1hr drive through soft sand in sand/mud mode hi range with 20psi I got back onto a firm track and then got a service 4wd light. I immediately stopped turned off the engine and re-started with no further problems. Am now driving in sand/mud low range back over the same ground. So far so good, I will keep you posted.

silverfox1111
15-07-2013, 08:07 PM
G'day everyone
This thread has gone quite, does this keen that everyone has had the fix done?
Is everyone happy with the fix that they were given?
I'm taking mine in next week for its second service next week, so can anyone tell me what the actual fix was (tsb or hardware) so I can get the dealer to do it properly?
Thanks
Silverfox1111

Numb Thumbs
15-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Mine was a software fix done months ago.

I had no trouble on Big Red last week:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/drj153/Coongie%20Lakes%202013/th_05360036_zps4897be3e.jpg (http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/drj153/Coongie%20Lakes%202013/05360036_zps4897be3e.mp4)

Click on the image above to play the video.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

Hounds
15-07-2013, 09:05 PM
I had my 2011 Ltd Crd at the dealer getting rock rails and underbody plates fitted and asked them to add the sand fix.

They said it had already been done (I bought the car 2nd hand) and the update number on the invoice is 21-004-13.

On reading all this I might take it back and ask again about if she needs the second update.

Geoffh42
02-09-2013, 02:04 PM
G'day all
Interesting to read about the issues of the JGC on sand. Mine is a 2013 CRD, and I did get stuck in sand. In auto mode, when it detected wheel slip, it cut the engine power which was pretty annoying. On the next, and subsequent trips to the beach, I selected SAND (and mud) on the rotary selector, and all dramas gone. In fact, it would go at dangerous speed coming off the beach, and one has to throttle back.
I wonder if the software upgrade members speak about is now standard. My car was bought in April this year if that helps with software versions.
Most of all, I tow 2t of caravan, and it does it so easily it's a pleasure to drive. It's getting 13.6L/100km towing at 100km/h, and usually around 7.2 on the highway without the van.
Couldn't be happier.
Geoff

Trailhawk
02-09-2013, 02:48 PM
"and one has to throttle back"

Does not compute?

scarps
02-09-2013, 03:06 PM
I had my 30k service completed today and had booked for the Sand Driving TSB to be updated.
On arrival they said it would take longer than the time the car was booked in for, but I reminded them that my email confirmation clearly showed this to be done and was happy to wait. Got the feeling that this TSB is optional and won't necessarily be done unless the owner specifially requests.

Big Rig
02-09-2013, 06:05 PM
ours is a 2013 model and after reading this thread some months ago was a little bit annoyed. we did give it a first run on South Balina beach yesterday and am pkeased to report all went well no problems at all.

Numb Thumbs
02-09-2013, 06:23 PM
I had the fix applied to my 2013 a while ago.

It worked on the Border Track in both Auto and Sand modes.

It worked fine in Auto mode in easy sand and did Big Red first try in Sand mode.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/drj153/Coongie%20Lakes%202013/th_05360036_zps4897be3e.jpg (http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/drj153/Coongie%20Lakes%202013/05360036_zps4897be3e.mp4)

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/drj153/Coongie%20Lakes%202013/DSC07973_zps7b97eab2.jpg (http://s253.photobucket.com/user/drj153/media/Coongie%20Lakes%202013/DSC07973_zps7b97eab2.jpg.html)

Now to try it in a few weeks on Fraser Island towing 1500 kgs...

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

Gazz1958
02-09-2013, 06:43 PM
I had my 30k service completed today and had booked for the Sand Driving TSB to be updated.
On arrival they said it would take longer than the time the car was booked in for, but I reminded them that my email confirmation clearly showed this to be done and was happy to wait. Got the feeling that this TSB is optional and won't necessarily be done unless the owner specifially requests.

Scarps I had to ask to have it done as well and I got the impression you had to ask. To me its a safety issue and should be done on all GCs at service time.

Gazz

Numb Thumbs
02-09-2013, 06:59 PM
I asked, I got.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

scarps
02-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Scarps I had to ask to have it done as well and I got the impression you had to ask. To me its a safety issue and should be done on all GCs at service time.

Gazz

Thnx Gazz, don't disagree. Guess it comes back to the same old story, less than 1 in 10 of our WK2's is ever likely to be taken off road, it takes time to do and noone makes any money from it at service. Let's hope the bulk of us that will are on here or jeepgarage.

Kev.
02-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Guys,

I know my local dealership is performing the updates on all vehicles that get serviced. A friend of ours who would never dream of taking his Jeep off road had the update without asking.

Kev.

scarps
02-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Guys,

I know my local dealership is performing the updates on all vehicles that get serviced. A friend of ours who would never dream of taking his Jeep off road had the update without asking.

Kev.

Thnx Kev, you based in QLD? Just wondering if the dealers in Nthn NSW & QLD get more enquiries than here down south. Just speculating, no data to support.

Paj
03-09-2013, 06:37 AM
Fella's. Is there anyway to check if the sand update has been installed?

I asked at 10k service. Invoice says "connected diagnostic tool and checked for updated and error messages", but nothing more specific. Service rep. says it was done but.......

Despite living next door to Fraser Island, I have not yet taken this vehicle on the sand.

Savvas
04-09-2013, 09:07 PM

I asked at the 20k service, and the TSB is specified on the work order as done. Also got the rear shocks and headlights replaced.

A lot of the TSB's are done only if a problem is reported, for example the noisy SLS shock absorbers. But I would think that software updates should be done as a scheduled service item.

GMWK2
05-09-2013, 07:35 AM
Fella's. Is there anyway to check if the sand update has been installed?

If you dont trust your dealer you can ring customer service in Melbourne, give them your VIN and they should be able to tell you.