PDA

View Full Version : Charging Optima Batteries

rjl3175
18-12-2013, 02:46 PM
I've been doing a bit of research about batteries and charging so I thought I might share the little I've found out so far.
My mate has been using an Optima battery as his auxiliary for about two years and it recently stopped working, buying a new one he was told his charging was not right for the Optima as they require 14.4 volts to charge and his system only got to 13.8 or so.
I just recently purchased a new super duper expensive battery for the camper and after reading the instructions the recommended charge rate is 14.5 volts @ 20 amps.
I have it on charge at the moment using my smart charger which is putting in 14 volts and has been doing so for over 30 hours, now down to .6 amps but it seems it will never fully charge.
This now explains why I've never got the run time for the 12 volt fridge that I should, I'm going to have to spend even more now for a charger that will give 14.5 volts, anyone got any recommendations?:wall:

anthonygubbin
18-12-2013, 02:54 PM
I've been doing a bit of research about batteries and charging so I thought I might share the little I've found out so far.
My mate has been using an Optima battery as his auxiliary for about two years and it recently stopped working, buying a new one he was told his charging was not right for the Optima as they require 14.4 volts to charge and his system only got to 13.8 or so.
I just recently purchased a new super duper expensive battery for the camper and after reading the instructions the recommended charge rate is 14.5 volts @ 20 amps.
I have it on charge at the moment using my smart charger which is putting in 14 volts and has been doing so for over 30 hours, now down to .6 amps but it seems it will never fully charge.
This now explains why I've never got the run time for the 12 volt fridge that I should, I'm going to have to spend even more now for a charger that will give 14.5 volts, anyone got any recommendations?:wall:

AFAIK a Projecta smart charger puts out, 14.4v for an AGM and 15v for a calcium mine did before I blew it up with the geni surging. However I think you will find the Optima battery is a dry cell. And AFAIK the average smart charger can only charge AGM, Gel, Wet & Calcium. I have an idea you need a charger that can charge dry cell.

Regards A

BrianW
18-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Optima batteries are AGM aren't they?

I don't think you can go past CTek chargers and controllers. I have bypassed the regulators on my solar panels and feed the panels directly into my C-Tek 250S dual. The system is now so much more efficient than before and allows both power fed from the Jeep and the Solar panel to be controlled.

The CTek also boosts the voltage from my alternator to ensure my camper battery is getting the best charge.

When I get home from my trips, I make sure the main switch is shut off on the trailer and then hook up a 240 CTek charger to maintain my battery in perfect condition.

You can even use some of the 240v chargers to restore deeply sulphated batteries.

I have never had a problem with CTek products and on the couple of occasions when I have had a technical question, they got back to me within hours.

roscoea26
19-12-2013, 07:21 AM
Optima batteries are an AGM battery, this type of battery needs a multi stage charger, Bulk Absorption and Float cycles. An in vehicle DC DC charger like a Redarc BCDC dual multi stage charger, CTEK would be ideal.