Murchison Products
Find out how to advertise on Ausjeep?

Robe Trip 1/10/2016 - 3/10/2016 [Archive] - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

PDA

View Full Version : Robe Trip 1/10/2016 - 3/10/2016

Tookles
01-09-2016, 08:39 PM
So I have done it again and time has gotten away from me...
BUT
Skettler and I have been talking about doing the Robe trip during the October long weekend. I have been doing some research and from what I've found there is a lot soft sand, lots of campsites (some of which have long drop toilets where we will be staying to keep the missus happy), decent fishing and basically lots of fun! The main section seems to be between Robe and Beachport with more south towards Carpenter Rocks.

If anyone has done this before I'd love to hear about it as I have not been yet.

I am planning going down late Friday, but starting the 4wding Saturday morning and coming home Monday afternoon.

I hope most of you can come should be a great weekend!

Skettler
01-09-2016, 08:58 PM
Oh, yeah mate. Count me and the missus in.

Tookles
01-09-2016, 09:00 PM
Knew you would be all you have to do is mention 4x4 and your keen :p

Grippy
01-09-2016, 09:14 PM
Bugger, i am itching for a night under the canvas but we will be doing the Great Ocean Road that week 😣

Sent from my SM-T530 using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app

Tookles
01-09-2016, 09:36 PM
ah well there will be more! Still the Great Ocean Road will be a nice trip for you :)

Grippy
02-09-2016, 06:24 AM
ah well there will be more! Still the Great Ocean Road will be a nice trip for you :)

Yeah should be pretty good, no 4x4ing, Swagging or campfiring with the wife on board though 😫

Tookles
04-09-2016, 04:17 PM
Could always take the wrong turn and "accidentally" end up on that dirt road!

Richo
05-09-2016, 12:56 PM
Scroll down this page for maps

https://www.wattlerange.sa.gov.au/page.aspx?u=440

Tookles
05-09-2016, 02:52 PM
Perfect!! Thanks for that i will def be printing them off

J33Pster
12-09-2016, 08:13 PM
Not sure I can make it, will update you guys closer to the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tookles
15-09-2016, 11:54 AM
Sorry I haven't posted recently been moving house so have no internet and my phone is a piece of crap.
So the plan is
Camp each night at robe caravan park I've heard it's nice there
Saturday morning head out fairly early 9-10 ish down to beach port. Depending what time we finish up hopefully head back to the pub at robe and watch what's left of the grand final for those who are interested
Sunday head out around 10 ish again but this time go to beach port and come back to robe on the tracks.
On Monday get up a bit earlier and head down to carpenter rocks and spend a few hours exploring around there until it's time to head home and back to reality :'(

markwiseguy
17-09-2016, 08:03 PM
Hey guys. I was at Robe over easter and really enjoyed the beach driving.
We wished we stayed on the beach tracks rather than coming back to the caravan park every night... although a shower and toilet are nice...

We drove to Beachport then headed about 1/3 of the way towards Robe along the sand dunes and had so much fun trying some really big dunes, needing multiple attempts on a few of the soft steep ones. Also had to take easier options in some of the areas, we had a stock Mazda BT50 get up some hills that others couldn't... sometimes its just how fast you're willing to drive.

Another day we left from Robe driving south on the beach, not as many sand dunes but still some good driving.
Would definitely recommend the trip.

Grippy
18-09-2016, 07:43 AM
So Adam how did the engine swap go? Sorry I couldn't make it down there, was stuck at the Festival Theatre 😓

Tookles
18-09-2016, 01:32 PM
Thanks for that mark I got a quote from the caravan park and it was in my opinion, just for a non powered site very pricey too!!
I think change of plan and we will be camping at the spots along the beach. Any idea if you are allowed fires there?
No worries at all Ian! Not so great tbh mate... Had a real hard time getting the bugger out front driveshaft was a real pain, I hope to get all the stuff swapped over this week and put it in next weekend now... Just praying i get it finished before robe haha!

Tookles
25-09-2016, 12:42 PM
So a bit of bad news and a bit off good (i guess?)
I havn't been able to finish off the xj in time for robe :( but it seems like it was only going to be me and scott anyway we have decided to postpone it for a few weeks!
When we go exactly I am not sure but I will cement plans in the next few days.
HOWEVER this weekend WE ARE going down the coorong for a bit of camping, 4wding and the like down there. Heading down Saturday morning staying 2 nights and heading home Monday. We will be at one of the spots around policemans point somewhere if anyone wants to join. I will post what UHF channel on when we are there so you can find us.

Grippy
25-09-2016, 12:48 PM
Bummer about the XJ, what is holding up the build?
Would be good in a couple of weeks, I'm out next week doing the Great Ocean Rd, then the Flinders with kids etc most of week after, a few mates are keen on doing a Border Track night run too, they were trying to convince me to go yesterday as a last minute trip

Tookles
26-09-2016, 12:09 PM
Just the standard things. New engine is in now though just got to hook it all back up :).
Yeah won't be for a couple weeks at least get the xj going and a good old test first.
Sounds like it'll be an awesome trip with the family
Oh that would be fun! watch those puddles though :p

Tookles
30-09-2016, 10:15 PM
Thought I should post a last minute update.
I have a funny feeling it just wasnt meant to happen this weekend. Scott and I have decided to postpone the entire weekend due to weather. Hope everyone is bearing through it and havn't been affected to much!

Grippy
01-10-2016, 07:30 AM
Yep weather is a mess. We have cancelled the Great Ocean Rd trip too as parts if it are blocked and filled by landslides, instead booked a trip to Sydney in January.
A couple of mates are keen to do the Googs track or Gawler Ranges next week if anyone's keen, not sure which one yet

sent from my WG Grand Cherokee using the ausjeepoffroad app

Snort
12-12-2016, 06:16 PM
I am heading to Robe for a week NYE onwards, any must do tracks or is it just along the beach and dunes?
Cheers

Tookles
12-12-2016, 08:24 PM
I am heading to Robe for a week NYE onwards, any must do tracks or is it just along the beach and dunes?
Cheers

Don't quote me on any of this because i have never been but as far as I'm aware the majority of the tracks are between robe and beachport, with coming from beachport having better dunes.

have a look at these maps
https://www.wattlerange.sa.gov.au/page.aspx?u=440

Snort
13-12-2016, 11:49 AM
Cheers, I did have a quick look at those

Grippy
13-12-2016, 03:49 PM
A few mates have been down there and reckon it's really good, crazy dunes down Beachport way, can still be mighty hot throughout summer

sent from my WG Grand Cherokee using the ausjeepoffroad app