PDA

View Full Version : Auto high beam and mirror dipping no go

happy wanderer
09-10-2017, 06:36 AM
I recently had some driving lights fitted to my 2012 wk2

Now if I turn the headlight switch anti clockwise to ‘auto’ when I flick the high beam on, message comes up to say the auto feature is activated but in a dark location I don’t get high beam (and of course no driving lights) If I turn the light switch clockwise I can manually turn high beam (and driving lights) on.

Then I noticed the auto dimming of the rear view mirror is not working. The power button on the mirror is illuminated but it doesn’t dim.

Any idea of what may be the problem? I have checked fuses but not sure which one it could be. Are the 2 problems related ?

I have spoken to the installer and they aren’t taking responsibility. Maybe coincidence....

Thanks for any help

skipperau
09-10-2017, 06:54 AM
At a guess, and that’s all it is the module that controls the auto function might not like the slightly higher load from the trigger wire for the spots and has refused to play ball.
I doubt if the 2 are related. Unless the installer has hacked into the wiring loom under the dash, in which case anything is possible.

Troutman
09-10-2017, 07:38 AM
In Auto dipping mode, the high bean circuit will not be triggered during daylight or dawn/dusk conditions....it has to be dark. For testing purposes, switch headlights on in normal mode to the right.

happy wanderer
09-10-2017, 08:04 AM
Thanks skipperau

The only wiring around the dash is the switch. The power feed and relay are in engine bay. Switch wire was picked up behind drivers side headlight - that’s what I’m told at least

The senor to turn off high beam - street lights, on coming traffic - look like they in the back of rear view mirror ? That’s why I thought they could be related but I’m probably wrong !

happy wanderer
09-10-2017, 08:27 AM
Thanks troutman

I took car to national park last night so no streetlights and turned to auto, turn on high beam, msg on dash says activated. No high beam and no driving lights. If I switch driving lights off, still no high beam.

If I turn lights switch clockwise I can turn on high beam and driving lights. It’s like the sensor that detects streetlights or oncoming cars is stopping high beam coming on

It was on way home from np I noticed the rearview dimmer not working as a car approached from behind.

timsarg
09-10-2017, 12:21 PM
auto high beam is shit plain and simple . go into uconnect in settings and turn that shit off.

the auto dimming rear view mirrors never seem to work properly anyway in mine

crisis
09-10-2017, 03:42 PM
Driving lights put out too much reflection that the auto high beam thinks is another car, causing it to drop back. It can go into a flashing loop.

Rear dimmers work well, but are unobtrusive - sometimes you don't know they are protecting you
m

happy wanderer
09-10-2017, 05:28 PM
Hey timsarg, don't know if you're unlucky or I'm lucky, but I reckon mine work(ed) a treat and now I miss the function.

Thanks crisis, may be you are right, however I can't even get the high beams to come on with the driving lights off - when its on 'auto'

I'll monitor the rear dipping, may be I was looking for problems that weren't there....

timsarg
09-10-2017, 07:08 PM
Hey timsarg, don't know if you're unlucky or I'm lucky, but I reckon mine work(ed) a treat and now I miss the function.

Thanks crisis, may be you are right, however I can't even get the high beams to come on with the driving lights off - when its on 'auto'

I'll monitor the rear dipping, may be I was looking for problems that weren't there....

oh mine worked . i just never liked it . plus when some fucking plonker does something during the day or at night and i can't blind them with my htx230's i get angry :wink::wink:

russell w
09-10-2017, 09:32 PM
Hi guys, my auto headlights stopped working after the 1st service on my 2012
laredo. The dealer replaced the mirror assembly with no joy. It then became too hard for both of us as I didn't live close. I did not have driving lights fitted at the time.

I wish u luck, hope u find an answer.

regards Russell

Troutman
09-10-2017, 09:34 PM
The mirror mounted sensor will probably be the issue. I know if you have a windscreen replaced, you need to get the sensor recalibrated at stealership.

crisis
09-10-2017, 09:35 PM
pull back on the lever still blinds FWits

crisis
09-10-2017, 09:36 PM
I'm on the north shore -let me know if I can help
m