PDA

View Full Version : Export JL Rubicon

Kiwi
16-12-2017, 12:04 PM
By what I have seen export Rubicon's will not have 33" tires as the front venders will not be raised an 1" like with the US JL's.
It may be a short return to Jeep seeing this photo

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/thecades/500_wkjbz1ojfioanuk1aahnov09oqg539-jpg_zpst7robmag.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/thecades/500_wkgh3lojfikabanfaah8ayoa9gs591-jpg_zpsk1yfhgy0.jpg

SeaComms
16-12-2017, 12:13 PM
That sucks.. also blows the plan for next year too!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Kiwi Jeeper
16-12-2017, 03:44 PM
Wipers are set for LHD setup on that one. Missing front license plate as well. This may not be actual production vehicle, but just a test mule.

Kiwi
16-12-2017, 04:57 PM
Yes it is left hand drive. Front licence plates are not required in some States of the US and this is why this Euro JL has none but it does have prevision for Euro plates.
Right hand drive is not going into production until middle of 2018. I hope Jeep builds a US stile Rubi not a Euro but I don't see this happening.

SeaComms
16-12-2017, 10:08 PM
Yeah I can't see the steel rubi bar making it out here either. 33s standard would be nice though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Kiwi Jeeper
17-12-2017, 06:19 AM
Factory package with steel bars did come to NZ in the last couple of years. I might be an option.

Kiwi
17-12-2017, 08:25 AM
Factory package with steel bars did come to NZ in the last couple of years. I might be an option.

I did see those but cannot drive a RHD JK due to no room for my left leg/foot and the JL looks to the same.

Otherwise I'll could buy LHD with half door & other Moper options. I can use it in the States as we travel their every year and then bring it home. I'll have it transported to different parts of America or drive it towards ares I would pick it up on our next trip. I usually hire mustangs or Camaro convertibles.

Kiwi Jeeper
17-12-2017, 08:37 AM
How tall/big are you? I'm 185 cms. I have not found my JK or previous TJ cramping my left leg for space. I drive my wife's KL (and previously WG) with no issues. Bringing in LHD would be ok kay, but you will pay a big price with lower resale.

Kiwi Jeeper
17-12-2017, 08:46 AM
Have a read of this: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/importing-a-vehicle/exceptions/importing-a-left-hand-drive-vehicle/

I don't think new Wrangler being class MC would be allowed in for registration.

Kiwi
17-12-2017, 09:50 AM
Have a read of this: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/importing-a-vehicle/exceptions/importing-a-left-hand-drive-vehicle/

I don't think new Wrangler being class MC would be allowed in for registration.

I have read this before thanks.

"The vehicle is, and was manufactured as, a two-door coupe or a convertible" are allowed.

I've read their's a small number of standard LHD's allowed in. I wouldn't bring it in for resale just as a toy for me which changes things legally. The JL would be a few years old and owned from new by me.

My wife likes the idea of owning a JL in the States. I can buy a runout 2019 with help from friends who work at FCA. I would buy the JL in Oregon as no sales tax state.
I would wheel the Rubicon Trail, Jeeps Easter Moab Safari as well other great trails.
Accommodation I have paid for all over America Canada for the rest of my life.
The more I write the more I like my idea and may never bring the JL home.
I do have some JK Moper parts I purchased in the States which are still new. I had to sell my RHD 2007 JK due to it's driving position in 2008.
This is sounding better the more I talk about it.

ausdean
17-12-2017, 10:07 AM
My RHD JK does need a bit more left leg room for me but I do get used to it after a while...

Kiwi Jeeper
17-12-2017, 12:10 PM
FCA redesigned the JK interior in 2011, maybe that's why I don't find my '12: cramped.

As for your definition of a convertible, that is still for class MA passenger cars. Not class MC.

Kiwi
18-12-2017, 07:16 AM
I didn't realise how expensive a Wrangler is to buy now. All other Jeep models have almost stayed at the same price since arriving back in NZ in the nineties. I look at BMW pricing and their overall pricing has dropped or stayed the same since the nineties.

Jeep hasn't done any really expensive changes over the years to the Wrangler compared to other vehicles manufacturers.

The way I see it Wrangler will become a more of a niche model than what it has been. Jeep was a name for suppling 4x4 vehicles cheaply. Owners could play around building a better Jeep over time.

I had to make a decision back in 2008 do I stay with Jeep for the odd weekend play or do I move on for the same dollars into better performance vehicles which I did. I made a list of good and bad points of whats in my garage yesterday and the list that won out was what my garage is full of now. Newer higher performance vehicles at lower running cost has made replacement vehicles in my garage cheaper from the same manufacturer than Jeep Wranglers.