PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust soot and rattle

Titch101
13-01-2018, 02:32 PM
I have a 2014 Wk2 Diesel laredo and have noticed lately a rattle from both mufflers on startup, sounds like they both have rocks in them.
I also have a lot of soot around the exhaust tips and even up on the lower plastic part of the bumper. Any other owners experience this or do i have some exhaust issues?? I was considering running some cleaning additive in my next fill up if anyone can recommend something suitable?? (yes i know some people see them as snake oil but there are also plenty of people that swear by it)

Buffomarinus
13-01-2018, 03:38 PM
I have a 2014 Wk2 Diesel laredo and have noticed lately a rattle from both mufflers on startup, sounds like they both have rocks in them.
I also have a lot of soot around the exhaust tips and even up on the lower plastic part of the bumper. Any other owners experience this or do i have some exhaust issues?? I was considering running some cleaning additive in my next fill up if anyone can recommend something suitable?? (yes i know some people see them as snake oil but there are also plenty of people that swear by it)

I use this product every 5-10,000k on my 2013 Diesel Grand Cherokee: http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/brands/enviro+/enviro-dpf-cleaner?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzOmiyKfU2AIVGyUrCh1ciA37 EAAYASAAEgKo1fD_BwE

Data sheet: http://www.penriteoil.com.au/assets/pis_pdfs/ENVIRO+%20DPF%20CLEANER%20.pdf

Titch101
13-01-2018, 03:56 PM
Thanks i might give it a go.
I was also looking at this product https://costeffective.com.au/product/ftc-decarbonizer/

Looks good but a bit expensive.

Buffomarinus
13-01-2018, 04:55 PM
Thanks i might give it a go.
I was also looking at this product https://costeffective.com.au/product/ftc-decarbonizer/

Looks good but a bit expensive.

The difference between the two products is that the Penrite product is specifically intended to address DPF issues and uses liquid bimetallic platinum & cerium catalyst.

An interesting summary of the effectiveness of this approach can be found here: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ef900370v

Numb Thumbs
14-01-2018, 08:10 AM
If you are getting soot out of the exhaust on a GC diesel, you have a problem with the DPF. My exhausts have been totally clean from day one - you could eat off them.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

Titch101
14-01-2018, 10:22 AM
That was my thoughts as well, i'm guessing the dpf is cracked or has broken apart, perhaps thats what is rattling around in my muffler??
I have been tracking the DPF % on my OBD2 reader and it is still building up and re-gening so im not sure its affecting the system much.
Of course i am just out of warranty by 4 months, not sure its worth replacing as i believe they are horrendously expensive.
I'll get my mechanic to have a look anyway, def not trusting the dealer service center to do anything.

OzRick25
14-01-2018, 10:22 AM
You may have a problem with the dpf but it's unlikely to be the main problem. A blocked dpf is a sympton not a primary cause. Their are almost certainly other problems with incomplete combustion causing the soot such as over fueling injector, faulty O2 sensors, or possibly even the signs of excessively worn rings or fragmentation of the dpf or piston rings passing through to the exhaust.

If it was me I would be running a compression test and pulling the muffler to see what it is rattling.

Titch101
14-01-2018, 10:27 AM
I was under the impression the dpf wouldnt be blocked if im getting exhaust soot through and the regens are occurring as per normal. I'll have to pull the muffler and have a look at whats inside

OzRick25
14-01-2018, 10:45 AM
I was under the impression the dpf wouldnt be blocked if im getting exhaust soot through and the regens are occurring as per normal. I'll have to pull the muffler and have a look at whats inside

Partially blocked and caking up then parts of that caking which can get quite hard vibrating off and rating in your exhaust but a good amount remaining in the dpf and preventing the catalyst from working.

Your car is not as smart as your giving it credit for. Just because it's telling you regens are happening it does not mean they are happening the way they are supposed to, in fact your car will only go into active regeneration when it senses the dpf is not able to cope. How often is your vehicle trying to actively regen? and how much short distance driving do you do?

Titch101
14-01-2018, 11:30 AM
I do some short distance driving around town a few days each week but it generally gets a good run on the weekends at highway speed for anything for 30mins to 3 hours. Regens have been occurring roughly once a tank from what i've seen, prob 750-800kms between regens.
I might get my local exhaust mob to have a good look for me and go from there. If it is a failed DPF, I don't know what my chances would be at getting it replaced by Jeep as my warranty ran out in Sept '17.

OzRick25
14-01-2018, 11:56 AM
Yep get them too look into it.

If you have had it dealer serviced it might be worth getting an independent oil analysis conducted to give you an idea of what oil is in it. That may give you some negotiation room when your try and get Jeep to pony up.

Just remember that no matter what jeep of the muffler shop say a "failed dpf" really is very rare actually a failed dpf. It's either another engine fault causing over fuel, incorrect oil, or your vehicle just isn't fit for purpose in that your not driving it hard enough, long enough and regularly enough and all replacing or cleaning the dpf will do is block up again (in which case you would be better off with a petrol).

Best of luck

MexicanBatman
18-01-2018, 07:58 PM
Of just get the dpf delete pipe and a tune