PDA

View Full Version : Transmission problems, 94 Grand Cherokee. Slips after first

Tom
08-12-2002, 11:43 AM
After morning start up, you can travel the first city block running well, a bit noisy, like low power sterring fluid and then the transmission will begin slipping, foward or reverse. Shut the engine off for for a few minutes, restart and then travel about half a city block before slipping again. Can any one help? Thanks

dxj
09-12-2002, 10:31 PM
hi,

Sounds like what happens when too much gunk blocking the transmission filter, or maybe low or burned fluid.

Maybe service and change fluid to see if that fixes it?

Gojeep
10-12-2002, 04:22 AM
Thats what is was thinking too. To many people do a drain and refill but never change the filter. Even places that flush out all your fluid never change the filter. Old oil can do this too. If is has never been changed in all these years I would do a few fluid changes first by just dropping the drain plug, re filling and then go for a drive before doing it again and repeat again before draining and taking the pan off and changing the filter. This is because you only drain less than half the fluid when you drain the pan as the rest is in the torque converter. This is not a problem when you cahnge your fluid on time but it sounds like it had gone on too long.
I you want to do it yourself you can follow my write up on in the how to section.