PDA

View Full Version : Long Range Fuel Tank

kyro
07-01-2003, 06:57 AM
Hi there everyone!

does any of you have a long range tank fitted to your cherro?
is so what brand is it and how do you find it?
and is it a replacement one or a extra one?

cheers Guys!!! graemlins/beerchug.gif

dxj
07-01-2003, 06:32 PM
Hi Kyro,

I have LRA "120" litre unit. Replaces the stock tank. Fitted by Suburban4wd who did a neat and tidy job.

My Opinions:

Well constructed, seems strong, have "sat" on it a few times with only minor marking.

Makes good bull-bag jacking point :D

Excellent range with diesel, On road I regularly get well over 1000km per tank, usually more than 1200km, Best around 1450km.

Can easily "feel" the weight of a full tank compared to empty. Ride height is noticably different empty to full even with add-a-leaves. On road handling and ride much better with all that weight down so low when full.

Although 120L capacity I have filled it with 125L on occasion when I have run it close to empty.

For me, fuel guage reads full for first approx 200km then approx 125km per 1/8 tank ( YMMV )
I have heard of others having guage problems with same and other brand tanks. When I get low fuel warning I fill with about 110L and have about 100km in reserve.

Runs a little closer to rear diff, makes oil change a little cramped. Not a big problem just "less easy".

Can hear fuel "slosh" on occasion, usually when just below a full tank.

Comes with drain plug on forward facing vertical face.

Gripe:-
Hangs a fair bit lower than stock tank so makes me want more lift, hangs up a little more when "rock-hopping".

Overall wouldn't swap back to stock tank now.

Cheers.

Kramer
07-01-2003, 11:37 PM
How much DXJ?

Kramer

dxj
08-01-2003, 08:29 AM
Hi,

err, amnesia due to credit card abuse. I think the tank was around $950 plus some fitting charge. You can probably avoid the fitting charge by doing youself but I recall some guys saying that the fuel guage float lever needs bending "just right" to make empty be well... empty. May take a few attempts if you are not experienced.

I think maybe not a difficult job. I had mine done at the same time it was in for other work.

Maybe checkout 55L (size?) aux tank from opposite lock. I saw one on "Greenhog" at the Jamboree. Pumps into main tank, has separate filler in same fuel door.