PDA

View Full Version : Engine Temp

Dave'n'Wen
16-02-2003, 10:02 PM
Been having problems keeping the engine temp to a safe range of 100c. Driving on the road with the A/C on and the temp will sit at about 110c. If I stop and idle, the temp will go to 120c. On the weekend she hit 125c, too hot for a Jeep. Last winter I changed the water pump with new due the pump losing water out the tell-tale. Has anyone had the same problem and if so what did you do to fix it. I am thinking that the thermostat is buggered and may need to be replaced. I have noticed that the clutch fan has no resistance at 100c engine temp. Thus not doing its job. Even with the elec fan cutting in, there is more airflow from the elec fan than the clutch fan.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jeepdownunder
16-02-2003, 10:45 PM
I had exactly the same problem with my 95 XJ. Water pump was leaking out the weep hole replaced that and the thermostat as well as the fan belt.
Still had the problem cleaned radiator with chemical flush still a problem. Replaced radiator problem fixed. Its this good now, the day we had 44 degrees c. Drove home in traffic aircon on all the way never got above the middle mark. Was the radiator. When I pulled it out it was twice as heavey as the new one. It was so full of gunk the chemical could not remove it. Also the fiscus fans are usless I think U don't need them when your cruising due airflow over the radiator. You need them idling and at low speed off road. The problem is that the fluid ones with veins in them don't know when you are cruising or just have high revs off road. I often think I will replace mine with and electric. When I get a chance I'm going to pull the viscus fan off mine & drive the car up the H/way I bet I don't need the viscus fan at all. When I stop she'll heat up until the XJ electric comes on. SO I reckon another electric in place of the viscus just to come on when there is no airflow. Any way I think you need a new radiator.
Cheers.

[ 17 February 2003, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Jeepdownunder ]

Jeepdownunder
16-02-2003, 10:56 PM
Dave I just had a look at your profile: 97 XJ I reckon from what I've read over the years XJ radiators are only good for about 3 to 5 years if looked after. So yours is now at the age where it is suspect. Look at compression as well but usually I think its a cooling problem. When its a donk problem there are usually other signs like rough running and tuning probs. Try the thermostat its cheap and easy to replace. You get the gasket kit with it in the packet. But I think the rad is old enough to rip out anyway. Put a new one in and do the old one up and flog it to get some of the money back. My new radiator cost $640-00 trade about $800-00 new :mad:
PS: Where all behind defence people at the moment wether behind a desk or deployed some where. Ignore the banner waving idiots in the street your all important valued people . I have a mate in Defence in Brisy RAAF photograper Brent Tero do you know him...?

[ 17 February 2003, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Jeepdownunder ]

Phil
17-02-2003, 06:57 AM
Do know the cheros suffer very hoy under bonnet temps and one of the best mods you can do is fit a bonnet scoop ... say from a GU patrol or Prado it will drop temps dramatically , if you get it colour coded it looks like it's suposed to be there.

Dave'n'Wen
17-02-2003, 08:08 AM
Kramer,

Thanks I think I will take you up on the offer. I will first try the thermo this weekend, and if thats no good will do the rad. Thanks for the offer. I live on the Northside at Bracken Ridge, will call you near the w/end.

Phil,

Great idea, but I don't see many XJ's around with this mod. Would love a Phase 3 shaker on there.. :D

Thanks to all the good info coming in, makes the job alot cheaper and easier to do.

Dave'n'Wen
17-02-2003, 08:12 AM
Jeepdownunder,

Thanks for the backing, we all got a job to do. Don't know your mate.

Cheers.

Steve
17-02-2003, 10:06 AM
This may sound stupid but when it got really hot did it actually over heat? Just make sure the sensor is ok before you go to all the trouble of swapping radiators etc..It's probably ok but just a thought. The reason I say this is because my TJ is doing something similar. Driving home from Perth a week and a bit ago it was about 47 degrees where I was driving. With no aircon on the Jeep was running a tad hot as can be expected in that sort of temp. Well fawk I says to myself this is getting a bit toasty so I turn the aircon on. About 5 minutes later the temp gauge goes from about 110 to red. Shit! So I turn the aircon off. Within 10 seconds it drops right back to where it was. Now I say to myself if it's really that hot surely it wouldn't drop that much in such a short time! So I am suspecting a fawked sensor in my case. When the temp pegged the first time I pulled over right away. And the rad wasn't even boiling much less overflowing!

[ 17 February 2003, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Steve ]

Kramer
17-02-2003, 12:35 PM
Dave & Wen

Kramer here.

2 weekends ago I changed out my radiator because I bought a genuine XJ stocker for $280 brand new (off this forum - "TankJirl"). So I changed it out for good measure, even tho my old one is good (eventually they go...)

What that means is that I have a good secondhand one that you can "borrow" to see if your radiator is stuffed or not - without it costing u anything to try (provided you do the work urself and not the workshop). The changeover job took me an hour and a half all up, so it's no biggie. tongue.gif

The radiator and Jeep are in Brisbane (I only work in Melbourne during the week, but live in Brisbane).

Give me a shout on 0421 909 389 if u want to pick it up.

Kramer

Grant
17-02-2003, 07:51 PM
if you electric fan is pushing more air that the clutch fan when engine is hot then your problem is that the viscious clutch on your fan is most likely failing when motor is cold you should be able to stop the stop the fan with little effort but when it is hot fan should be roaring its head off we had an Xj at chrissy time had same problem clutch fan was stuffed. At 3000 rpm could hold fan still with two fingers (motor was red hot) should have torn our fingers off changed viscious clutch and no more problems
The clutch unit can be pulled to bits and reconditioned (new oil added) but it is a fiddly job

Dave'n'Wen
17-02-2003, 09:48 PM
Thanks guys, some great ideas to try. I think the first item will be change the thermo and a good rad back flush and new coolant. If this does not do the trick, I will do the fan but I am thinking of an after market elec fan with a thermo of it own. This way I can have it cut in at about 105c where as the stock elec fan cuts in at 110c or so.

Phil
18-02-2003, 07:25 AM
When I was over at the 99 jambo Qld I was talking to a 4x4 shop owner from Sydney I think (Too long ago now)He did the bonnet scoop for his dad and said it was magic. A few people over this side of the world have done the alterations and swear by them. smile.gif

Kramer
23-02-2003, 06:15 AM
Dave & Wen

sorry, something's come up and I've had to put that radiator up for sale in the for sale section of the forum, hope this doesn't inconvenience you.
Anyway, I hope it's something simple for you that's not working right, like the fan.

Kramer

Dave'n'Wen
23-02-2003, 08:46 AM
Update on the cooling problem.

I did a rad flush today and then used a treatment. The flush required me to drain the cooling system and add the flush, run for 20 mins until hot or go for a drive. Did this, let it cool, drained her again and just watch as all this mud and crap came out. There was even mud in the overflow bottle. Did a second flush using fresh water.

Will see how we go, I still have a feeling that the fan is stuffed, so may look at an after market elec fan. But for now she is running a little cooler.

spud
02-03-2003, 08:11 AM
had same prob change to a bigger radiador now can go on beach all day and drive hard no prob for advice on rad give mick a call at suburban4x4 he can help you out

OzJeeper
02-03-2003, 09:04 AM
Just FYI

At 140K in my Grand Laredo ZJ/ZG (whatever) I am needing to change out my welsh plugs. They fitted steel plugs (doh!) to the block instead of brass - and they all leak!
So the moral of this is - if your reading this thread and you have water dropping on the ground off the RHS chassis rail - it's not the AirCon! It's the rear welsh plug.

About $500 to $600 in labour costs and $35 in parts. So if you have a chain block and the time..... :mad:

Running hot and needing water all the time is not fun......

Dave'n'Wen
02-03-2003, 09:10 AM
Update.

Did the thermostat today. Much better. The one that was in there was for a temp of 195F(90C). The one I fitted is a 180F (82C). Temp now sitting at abouy 80 - 90C. Will see how we go over the next week or so.... :D I am a happier Jeeper! Only cost me $16.

OzJeeper
02-03-2003, 09:11 AM
Do know the cheros suffer very hoy under bonnet temps and one of the best mods you can do is fit a bonnet scoop ... say from a GU patrol or Prado it will drop temps dramatically , if you get it colour coded it looks like it's suposed to be there. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Another quote - "hotter then a snakes belly in the dessert" - from 1994 TW?????
All Cherokees have run hot - my old dinosour has always had the same problem and it's a 1984 model!

Prado air scoop - never - it's jap crap! graemlins/crying.gif

[ 02 March 2003, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: OzJeeper ]