PDA

View Full Version : KJ

KJRen
14-05-2003, 01:06 AM
Hi All, have only just discovered this website and have enjoyed many posts.
I am the proud owner of a KJ Renegade and have a questions of other KJ owners.
I have an issue with the comfort of the front seats. This being my first "real" 4 wheel drive, I am unsure of what to expect. A couple of friends have 2003 model prajero's and prado's, i realise these are totally different cars, but their seats are like jason recliners compared to mine. Any other experienced this issue?
I have been concerned about the factory tow bar and read yesterday another member had some issues too. I have not yet had to tow anything, but with the impending purchase of a camper, it could be an issue.
cheers to all..... great site!!!

Kramer
14-05-2003, 05:28 AM
Hi KJRen

Welcome to the forum! Good to hear that you've joined the fold. I have a 96 XJ.

Make yourself known on the main page - most of the guys will see you there and you can get hooked up with a club or something - they might not find you here.

Happy Jeepin,

Kramer

KayJay01
14-05-2003, 07:47 AM
Welcome; KJREN
Do you have cloth or leather trim? I have a limited with leather and i absolutely hated my seats for six weeks after buying my KJ. Now i reckon they are the best things i've ever sat in except for the seats in my old SSS Pulsar.
As a former XJ Cherokee ( 96 Classic ) owner i have the following comments to make.

Yes the towbar is a bit of a worry. you will see lots i have written on the subject in this section. Although i assume you are buying an off-road camper trailer you shouldnt have a prob if you get a " Treg Hitch " or something similar. If i can help you at all with thoughts or ideas on the camper trailer give me a hoy.We are actually having our trailer made in Cairns. We researched them for 12 months and came to the conclusion quickly that there is some " awfull Shit " on the market. We had real probs with the quality off " Workmanship " in the Canvas. There is actually a company in Maroochydore who sew for themselves and the guy who we are getting our trailer from and i wouldnt have anyone elses sewing on my trailer. Our trailer will be seen on this site soon. It is actually being used on their stand at the 4WD show in brissy in June.

Yep back seat wont fold flat. Not much we can do about that one.

I totally disagree with Kiwi about sucking more fuel than XJs. I know iv'e fed both. My KJ uses way less petrol than my XJ did..... I do know though that the KJ diesel uses way less than the KJ petrol. Have been away with a diesel on a trip, on & off road.

I'm lucky i got one of the old higher KJs. So dont have a height prob.

Side open tailgate, well who really cares which way it opens.

Front IFS. Really doesnt bother me. When you consider you use you Jeep on road at least 90 % of its driving life IFS is welcome. I have said heaps of time on here before, in my opinion the KJ is far superior to drive on a regular basis.

No roof rails for racks, someone will develop aftermarket.

Less room in rear for cargo. May be less floor space but i believe there is actually more storage space when measured in litres or cucic.

Mate you chose to buy a KJ and your opening lines was " I am the proud owner of a KJ Renegade" and thats great to see. You now have to use your Jeep and enjoy it to the fullest extent. Good luck & happy 4 Wheelin.

KayJay01.

brizXJ
14-05-2003, 10:35 AM
KayJay01, you said your KJ uses 'way less' petrol then your '96 XJ...like Kiwi, this flys in the face of what I have heard too, could you elaborate on that?...what did you get before?, how did measure your consumption?? etc..etc.

Bogged
14-05-2003, 11:20 AM
greetings and welcome!

I disagree with kiwi.. I own an XJ and HATE the seats.. to the point I want to swap them out (in the process.. just trying to find some decent type of mounts) They are SO soft and lack support.. I have to hold the armrest going left and the door going right! I'd rather the TJ seats or recaro.. but they want $300+ each side!

My .02c

Colin

dxj
14-05-2003, 09:48 PM
Hi,

Just to back up the KJ owners ( from an XJ onwer )

All the complaints about KJ vs XJ....

Too small?
So is XJ. buy a 100 series yota for space!

Too low?
So are all the sagged XJ, every owner I know of XJ seems to buy new springs/suspension so they have the same problem!

IFS?
So KJ goes better than XJ 98% of the time and for 2% when rock hopping is marginally worse!
Big deal!

Engine, fuel economy, touring range?

Like all petrol 4wd, both are just plain bad, made for US where fuel stop every 100km, buy a diesel if you want economy and range.

Seats?

Jeep seat designers don't sit in them, way to soft and saggy, worst numb bum seats in all of them!

I think all you complainers miss the point with KJ. No need to compare, It isn't an XJ! And in many ways this is a good thing. I prefer XJ but KJ is better in many ways worse in others, but this is all marginal stuff.

All the CJ owners must laugh at the complaints XJ vs KJ.

Just like other classic models, Jeep have moved on from XJ.

Bring back the CJ3B! :D

Cheers

KJRen
15-05-2003, 02:21 AM
thanks all for your replys and agree mostly with your points.
Re the seats, I have the cloth trim with the leather inserts. Spot on Kiwi, they are too short in the seat. I guess it is something i will just have to get use to.
I am finding it a little thirsty, as I came from a Forester GT, which I ran premium in so it seems to work out with the price differences.
I have joined the local Adelaide City Jeep club and am looking forward to getting along to their meetings.
cheers all

Grant
15-05-2003, 04:16 AM
Seats are like good pair of boots (ya got to break them in) the moulded High Expansion foam that is used takes a while to settle down. stick with them and suddenly you will not notice anything funny about then. I re shaped my seats in my Xj as the original foam had settled too much hated them for 8 weeks but now they are real comfy.
My advice is be Patient and break them in

KJRen
15-05-2003, 05:04 AM
thanks Grant

KayJay01
15-05-2003, 07:01 AM
I agree whole heartedly Grant. After about 8 weeks i decided that the KJ seats were far superior to XJ seats and agree whole heartedly about the shoe comparison. You other guys need to get your heads out of the dirt and just accept change. The KJ is here with IFS,round headlights and 7 Slot grille. Its a Jeep. Us KJ owners dont bag XJs like you lot bag KJs. If you want to rubbish KJs then get another brand of 4Wd and rubbish from the outside. Im sick of all the negative shit written on here about KJs. Maybe your all just bitter that you can't afford a "new car".

KayJay01.

Dave
15-05-2003, 09:59 AM
I agree whole heartedly Grant. After about 8 weeks i decided that the KJ seats were far superior to XJ seats and agree whole heartedly about the shoe comparison. You other guys need to get your heads out of the dirt and just accept change. The KJ is here with IFS,round headlights and 7 Slot grille. Its a Jeep. Us KJ owners dont bag XJs like you lot bag KJs. If you want to rubbish KJs then get another brand of 4Wd and rubbish from the outside. Im sick of all the negative shit written on here about KJs. Maybe your all just bitter that you can't afford a "new car".

KayJay01.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No offence but where in this post are XJ owners bagging KJ's?.. smile.gif

Dave

KayJay01
16-05-2003, 07:38 AM
there was a whole thread on here a few months ago with about 30 posts that Jimmy actually deleted, some guy on here was bagging the KJ and reckoned it was no better than a RAV or CRV. There has been heaps of crap dispersed over this forum at various times.One guy even reckoned his mate was taking the Jeep badges of his Kj because he was ashamed of it. When i arked up on this forum about my towbar my main bitch was over the treatment i got over the phone from D/C when i rang Melbourne. As i keep saying, i have owned a KJ & an XJ. Those on here who think they know it all,and bitch about KJs usually write things like ; Ive heard, Ive read, my mate says, well i'm sorry this crap doesnt wash with me. I'm sure opinions will be different when people can actually say they have owned both. Yes i have been offroad in my KJ,yes i have been on the beach in my KJ.

KayJay01

Steve
16-05-2003, 07:54 AM
The more I read about the KJ the more I want one! The latest being about the fuel economy of the new 2.8 CRD KJ in JAA. I'd be more than happy to sell my Commodore for one. Which I probably will do in the future and become a 2 Jeep Family!

wiz
16-05-2003, 08:09 AM
i'm with you Steve :D ....
the g/f actually wants to get a KJ Renegade
...so all's good in "Casa Wiz"...unfortunately it won't be for a year or at least , or when the turbo diesel becomes a bit affordable tongue.gif

Steve
16-05-2003, 08:15 AM
To quote JAA about the 2.8 KJ "Drove Melbourne to Sydney on less than one tank of fuel-an incredible 889 kilomters. Average speed was 80 km/h with a fuel consumption of 6.56l/100" That's a fantastic figure!!!!! Not the word for word quote but that's the highlights of it!