PDA

View Full Version : XJ Light bar

kyro
20-05-2003, 10:45 AM
found this on JU some one thinking of putting the kj one on the xj graemlins/dunno.gif

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/chimworth/95XJ/lightbar.jpg

mountainman
20-05-2003, 10:53 AM
that pic looks like its been fiddled with....but doesnt look that bad, bet it wouldnt comply with Aus regs tho

Jimmyb
20-05-2003, 11:23 AM
yeah i got nicked by the cops the other day, claim that in qld that max spottie height is 1.3mtrs, didnt get a fine thankfully and no i didnt ask him about how the kj renegade gets away with it. didnt want to push my luck.

Grant
20-05-2003, 08:17 PM
The KJ took nearly three months to gain ADR approval for the roof mounted lights as they were the first New vehicle to come with them fitted as standard equipment and they had to meet fairly rigid regulations.
If you have roof moounted lights at the moment unless it a KJ cherokee then they will never meet the regulations, therefore making them illegal wether they are connected or not. Even if they have covers they do not comply and therefore are illegal.
Spent some time at work looking up the ADRs in commonwealth legislation (I was looking at fitting some on my roof bars).

Tonto
21-05-2003, 01:25 AM
Grant,
Your comments are interesting. In SA, I've always understood the rules to be quite specific. However, we had a talk from a cop the other week at the club, and mentioned the KJ rooftop setup. He advised that they'd had to loosen the legislation to let that through, and the result now was that you CAN put lights upstairs (and every goose in his/her import can get away with fog lights on all day every day) with just one limitation - they can get you for 'dazzling' oncoming drivers if the lights are aimed and used in such a way as to do so.
SA Motor vehicle regs I've looked at recently seem to support this - additional pairs of high beam lights are allowed; they must turn off when lights are dipped to low beam. Might be worth checking Vic state legislation again.
Cheers

Grant
21-05-2003, 04:14 AM
A word to the wise the State legislation (Vic) (Road Traffic Act - Vehicles) Is overridden by Australian Design Rules no matter what state you are in.
The KJ cherokee had to have its lights modified not only in the switching but also in the reflector and lense of those lovely lights.
If I could get away with a set of them I would already be fitting them but do not wish to get a defect notice on my Jeep.
When I get back to work I shall look up the ADR's and find out exactly what the requirement is for roof mounted lights (off work at moment getting work done on my ankle)

Johnboy
21-05-2003, 07:23 AM
In SA according to VSB(vehicle standards bulletin)#9 section 7.1 there is no regulation pertaining to position or height of forward facing driving lights.except that there can be no more than 6 including the factory lenses.
I learnt this after a heated discussion with a cop. most cops dont know everything.

Tonto
21-05-2003, 10:22 AM
Grant,
I'll be keen to read what the ADRs have on the topic - as above, the SA info bulletin (link below) doesn't prohibit it, but it does as you note indicate that vehicles required to meet ADRs may be subject to more stringent requirements than governed by State legislation. Thanks for the tip.

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/publications/person_trans_pdf/light_vehicles_pdfs/Info27.pdf

Bogged
21-05-2003, 11:38 AM
from what I understand, the lights are low wattage (?) poss only 55. I remember the issues when the renegade first came out. trying to get thru adrs, they had to do some minor mods to comply.. basically, limmiting the number of lights and the wattage of them. AND they must point down ie: not DAZZLE oncoming drivers.

NoFear
21-05-2003, 12:27 PM
"How not to have your vehicle defected by the local cops."

Lesson #49 - Contact the relavant Police Association in your State / Territory and purchase a Police Association sticker, which must then be affixed in a prominent position on the exterior of the vehicle you wish to be exempt from defect.

graemlins/punchface.gif

Jimmyb
21-05-2003, 07:48 PM
heard that one no fear smile.gif now to just get the sticker

Grant
22-05-2003, 06:05 AM
TO comply with ADR's they had to both have difuser lenses and reflectors and low wattage bulbs (35 watt)
I am back at work on Tuesday and will print the relevant ADR's concerning lights and post on here.