PDA

View Full Version : Compressor location

Wooders
16-07-2002, 01:16 AM
I have mine under the bonnet. It's not bad - but I think if I did it again I'd mount it under the front seats.
It does tend to get muddy/dusty under the bonnet.

mattc
16-07-2002, 01:33 AM
I guess you have seen where Gordo and I have ours... just in the little gap between the driver's seat and the door jam... just in front of the seatbelt retractor thing. Perfect fit (for a blue tongue) and no globs of under bonnet mud.

Ants
16-07-2002, 03:51 AM
Matt,

Can you possibly take a digi-pic or two and email to me? I like the sound of that spot you are talking about.

I'm in TAS next week for work, then on holidays for a week so don't know when I am going to get a chance to do the install, but want all the info I need available when I get a moment.

Thanks.

mattc
16-07-2002, 10:48 AM
Sure - will take a couple tomorrow.

Ants
16-07-2002, 12:34 PM
I have an ARB compressor, mounted in the platic case they supply. I am going to mount it in the vehicle to help save space in the load area.

Can anyone supply a couple of digi-pics of where they have located theirs?

Also some good and bad points for different mounting locations would be great is possible.

My options are either under the bonnet (near the air filter housing) or under the passenger seat. Other options gratefully considered.

I will be getting a pressure switch installed on the winch and a removable hose coupling before I install it. Also note that when lockers finally come my way they will be detroits not air lockers, so I don't have too much concern about noise in the cabin.

Cheers.

mattc
18-07-2002, 10:47 AM
So the Blue Tongue has three little screw holes in the bottom which I used to bolt it onto a bit of ply which I then stuck a couple of self tappers through from underneath into the ply. However since having the carpets out to dry, I haven't screwed the wood back in - it sits pretty snug without doing that. The switch just in front of it controls the compressor but actually switches a relay under the bonnet rather than being in line. That's the only real pain with this spot if you don't want the switch in-line with power.
http://www.employees.org/~mattc/images/jeep/misc/compressorfront.JPG http://www.employees.org/~mattc/images/jeep/misc/compressorside.JPG http://www.employees.org/~mattc/images/jeep/misc/compressorangle.JPG

[ 18 July 2002, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: mattc ]

PK
19-07-2002, 04:03 AM
I have an ARB compressor under the bonnet, on the left side behind the headlight - I only had to move the horn, and then bolted it in. It doesn't cop too much mud there...

aussietj
19-07-2002, 11:58 AM
I bolted mine onto the plate beneath the brake / booster master cylinder....

Keeps fairly clean and easy to get to

mattc
20-07-2002, 09:42 AM
I'm saving that little plate to put my second battery - odyssey(?) make one that fits just right! One of the TrAction guys has one set up there - nice fit.

Jeeps
20-07-2002, 10:32 AM
it's a pretty small plate...why do u want a second battery?

mattc
20-07-2002, 11:45 AM
Winching.

Phil
20-07-2002, 10:36 PM
That second battery would be good for running an engel fridge. But finding a battery that will fit into that plate area is the hardest part . Matt you wouldn't have any pics of that install would you?

TheDoc
20-07-2002, 11:22 PM
My old man had a similar problem with his terracan...he eventually found a sealed slimline drycell battery from battery world at Rocklea that could be inserted just about anywhere, and as it was dry could even be mounted upside down, sideways etc...

Think his theory was to use the slimline battery as the starter, then use the original location for some monster to power the fridge/etc.

mattc
21-07-2002, 10:34 AM
Cody, the ACT Jeep guy with the dual batteries is Dennis Ford - rarely see him on BB's. I'm off OS for a week but will arrange to get a photo at the next club meet.

The other idea I liked was putting two optimas in place of the single factory one
http://www.tim-morris.com/images/ju%20posts/04-24-01/wiring-02.jpg

RogJK
21-07-2002, 09:32 PM
I've got an Odessy 800 on tray below master cylinder, with rotronics controller on top. Tight fit but it works. Have re-wired so this is my primary start battery, and use a blue top Optima in the original position as secondary for winch and engle. My compressor is up high behind the left headlight - no trouble there. Cheers, RogTJ