Wrangler Lift kits [Archive] - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

PDA

View Full Version : Wrangler Lift kits

cannibal
29-10-2002, 04:47 AM
Am moving up to Brisbane in two days and was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a good place to get a lift kit installed?
Currently have 31" tyres but looking at possibly changing to 33" when these are a bit more worn, 6-12months.
Was looking at 3-4" of suspension lift.
Can't afford to spend heaps of $$,as prob are not as seriously into off roading as some, but don't want to put something cheap on and regret it in 6 months if it is not as capable.
Any advice appreciated

LEXX
29-10-2002, 05:52 AM
Well if ya don't want to spend big $$$, stick with the 31's. Going to 33's means a whole lotta more $$$ and if ya not that serious 31's will be fine.
33's will require at least a lift, you'll need to also look at your diff ratios and getting an SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) to cure any drive line vibrations. I'm running 33's and the Jeep is feeling the strain with out ratios and SYE. If ya just wann ahave fun in the sun stay with the 31's and look at doing SYE in the future and the 33's will go on a little better.

As for a person in QLD I'm sure JimmyB and the QLD boys will steer you in the right direction.

AussieCJ7
29-10-2002, 08:04 AM
In QLD I think your best bet would be Hammond Jeep

But I would also call Tony ay USA 4x4 in vic and Mick at suburban in Sydney all 3 will give you different brand lift kits but the 3 of them will have some great advice.

If dollars are a problem then 31's maybe better particulary if your off roading inculdes only beach and mud and mall crawling.

33's mean ratios SYE flares and the list goes on

cannibal
29-10-2002, 07:24 PM
If 33's are sucha big undertaking may have to stick with 31's.
How much lift would you reccommend/
Main concern I have is that although not the most serious off roader (realtivly new to it), don't want to save money now only to regret it later, e.g. put on two inches of lift, and as I get more experianced, wish I had put 4" etc...
I want to make all mods "future proof" so if means waiting longer so can afford it, thtas what I'll do.
Have been caught in the past with other sports/hobbies etc, when bought something cheaper, and ended up replacing it down the track as did not meet all my needs. meaning the net amount spent was more than if had just bought the "top end" product first!
Any advice appreciated

Ando
29-10-2002, 08:26 PM
My opinion is that 31's are fine and its the overall suspension you want to upgrade not just the lift. You don't need that much for 31's. Remember, a TJ is a pretty capable beast on it's own and the bigger tyres from stock the more you have to do like everyone said.

Give the guys a ring that everyone recommended they will look at your budget and recommend the best set up.

MR. 04 X IV
29-10-2002, 09:28 PM
Hey Human Eater....welcome to this beautiful, sunny city of ours!!!!

Whatever you decide to do, it's probably better to go to someone who knows wranglers back-to-front.
"Footo's Bush and Beach" at Sumner Park and "ARB Southside" at Coopers Plains have pretty extensive TJ knowledge. Plus talk to the above mentioned guys, cause they eat, sleep and crap jeeps, and will be able to give you the best info on the pro's and cons of each set-up.

[ 30 October 2002, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: MR. 04 X IV ]

JP Mark
29-10-2002, 09:45 PM
Having redone many of the mods on my Jeep, I know where you are coming from and I always wished I had gone the 4 inch lift rather than the 2 inch lift but in the end I used coil spacers on the 2 inch OME lift and in hindsight, it has served me well for the last few years. It is still a 4 inch lift now and I have done the SYE and driveshaft and many other mods to make it work but the moral of the story is that you can do a 2 inch lift now and still upgrade it later if need be. Alternatively, go the 4 inch lift and drop your transfer case to improve the driveline vibes and live with it until you can afford the rest of the stuff. Cheers, Mark.

Of course, if you go the 4 inch lift you'll probably want to fit the bigger tyres straight away so gearing and driveline survivability will become an issue so you will be up for the extra bucks anyway (there is no such thing as saving money on a Jeep!)

[ 30 October 2002, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: JP Mark ]

North Coast Wrangler
04-11-2002, 08:29 AM
Cannibal

if you are interested northcoast 4x4 accessories on the sunshine coast are now a surburban dealer give em a call on 07 54754011 and talk to Mick

Nick

Wooders
04-11-2002, 09:16 PM
Cannibal,
There are SOOO many options....so take EVREYONE's advise with a grain of salt and apply to YOUR situation. As has been mentioned each of the companies mentioned will suggest their lift - but hey isn't that the corporate way regardless ;) ...However I will assure you that USA4x4, Suburban4wd & Hammonds are dedicated Jeepers and try to give their honest opinions, but they WILL differ.....
Now I'd also redone my setup a few imes and can attest to the waste of coin it can be....So my advice is:
1. Tell us where you are fining it needs to preform better (if you dn't know then you really need to wheel the snot out of it stock a bit longer).
2. Do you have ANY mods so far? I'll assume not - so I'd suggest you start with a T55 & shifter to unbolt your swaybar. Do NOT buy swaybar discos until you've settled on your lift.
3. What's the MAXIMUM tyre size you would like to run? Almost EVERYthing else works from tyre size....
Ask PLENTY of questions here BEFORE you slap your money down - they way we'll try & give honest, unbiased feedback if you've any experience with the product/setup.
Lastly save every if you are thinking bigger meats are in your future....

brave525
10-10-2004, 12:58 PM
I would be interested in your lift resalts as i'm about to take the big step. :mrgreen:

TIGGER
10-10-2004, 01:24 PM
brave525, this post is 2 years old :shock:

stu
11-10-2004, 06:46 AM
i was thinking to my self......he got rid of the 35's! and has gone back to stock suspension

andy_n
11-10-2004, 06:59 AM
I would be interested in your lift resalts as i'm about to take the big step. :mrgreen:

I think this is right. Cannibal, now runs a pro comp lift with 35's and is all locked up :D

billsta
11-10-2004, 08:37 AM
at lease brave is searching the archives,
and im sure cannibal can still give him opinions on the big jump..

Duk
11-10-2004, 02:23 PM
Welcome to Brissie & have fun in the sun - what part of Brissie you settling in - you may want to look at joining Sunshine Coast Jeep Club - www.sunshinecoastjeepclub.com

Timmy
11-10-2004, 03:08 PM
Welcome to Brissie & have fun in the sun - what part of Brissie you settling in - you may want to look at joining Sunshine Coast Jeep Club - www.sunshinecoastjeepclub.com

cough 2 years old cough

Anonymous
12-10-2004, 07:29 AM
I also thought the same as Stu!!! :lol:
Last time i looked Cannibal's jeep wasn't that small... Had the same amount of muscle as the man!