PDA

View Full Version : What sort of person SHOULD NOT get a Wrangler?

Big_T
26-01-2003, 10:51 PM
Answers to this question might help me and my therapist figure out the pros and cons of buying a vehicle that looks so great, and is so capable, BUT is so different to the usual commodore/falcon type sedan, and comes with some quite unique issues...

I underwent the same decision making dramas 5 years ago when the new ones first came out.
I bought a 2nd hand VS commodore and it was fine, practical and boring.

Back then the price of the Wranglers was the problem. Now they are available 2nd hand and a real option.

SO
What sort of person SHOULD NOT get a Wrangler?
(please try to keep the answers factual and practical)

thanks!

AussieCJ7
26-01-2003, 10:55 PM
home boys who want to cruise the streets

If you want to get out and use your Jeep then you are the right sort of person

Most of us in here think a muddy Jeep looks a lot better than chrome graemlins/beerchug.gif

billsta
26-01-2003, 10:56 PM
if you buy it for show with no intension for 4WD.
1, TJ rides bad on road.
2, TJ drinks fuel, like a commomwhore.
3, TJ with soft top provides no security

TJ's are good,
1, they wheel good, stock to modified,
2, looks great to cruise around
3, you can buy a life style, and not live it, posing...

really it goes for all types of 4WD, not just wranglers... this dont apply to AWD's...

Jeff
27-01-2003, 03:19 AM
*sits on the therapist's couch*

I must confess, I bought the Jeep because it looked cool, not because I wanted to take it offroad. I was looking around for Japanese sports cars, and passed a dealership selling a red TJ. I took it for a spin, with no intention of buying it. In the 5 minutes that I was behind the wheel, I decided that no matter how impratical it was, I would own one of these.

It wasnt until I was on a weekend away with some free time that I took it offroad. Once I did that, I was totally converted.

I dont get too angry when I see a Jeep that has never been offroad. Sure I think that they are missing out, but then I remember that they probably bought it for the same reason that I did, for fun.

Jimmyb
27-01-2003, 07:32 AM
i saw someone that shouldnt buy one at cruiser this weekend, they had a stock wrangler, despite 2 attempts to wave at them they ignored us (5 vehicles) then as we wre leaving they were trying to get a stocker (sway bar connected) difficult and very steep and couldnt work out why they nearly rolled it 1/4 way up and had to get recovered, then reversed back down and nearly stacked it again...................soz thats just my dummy spit on stoopidity this weekend

merolius
27-01-2003, 08:44 AM
trying to get a stocker (sway bar connected) <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">excuse me , i have a stocker with no disconection and i did test track quite easy , and anything else that looked hard ..i have never been recovered as yet , i dont think its the car its the person behind the wheel .. well that's my two cents worth smile.gif tongue.gif

well its true .

mattc
27-01-2003, 10:02 AM
...someone with 3 kids
...someone who likes to listen to music on the highway
...someone really really tall
...someone who parks on the street in a bodgey neighbourhood

Jeff
27-01-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by mattc:
...someone with 3 kids
...someone who likes to listen to music on the highway
...someone really really tall
...someone who parks on the street in a bodgey neighbourhood<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow, 3 out of 4 for me!

Deane
27-01-2003, 09:39 PM
I recon the sound bar helps with the noise.

Jimmyb
27-01-2003, 09:41 PM
merolius , soz yeah true, driver is quite a bit, the track was telecom hill...........very loose and rutted, was quite scary to watch.

Gordo
28-01-2003, 02:59 AM
Wrangler gooooood :

High tinkerability (home mods)
High offroadability (gives you balls of steel)
High sunloverability (get that smelly roof, windows and doors OFF !)
High socialability (all Jeepers love to talk Jeep and go driving together)

Wrangler baaaad :

4 Adults and gear in comfort travelling... NOT
15L/100km
$260 per tyre
Want some bits ? - why not import it +GST +freight +exchange rate

merolius
28-01-2003, 07:43 AM
tiz ok , wasnt upset , just stating my opinion
and also did telegraph hill , i've only been once to lcp , wilst there the guys i went with helped me get my mountian goat feet, learnt heaps there and also how to explore what the jeep could do , and after i went i watched the video of me doing things and how next time to do them different and maybe on a different lines .
i noticed with the stocker that wheel travel was a major issue and yes disconnecting the sway bar would have helped , the only thing i did there was lower tyre pressures to improve my tyre width , which i found to increase the grip and felt more responsive doing wash outs . once ive put the lift kit in, i hope to go back and see if i can do some other lines and maybe do that stump .
sheesh long sentance later ppl's

Jimmyb
28-01-2003, 08:37 AM
and have to come on a trip with us too smile.gif

Big_T
28-01-2003, 10:32 AM
thanks for all the replies.

pretty much what I had already considered as far as pros and cons.

As for the Posers, I want to find one of them and buy his Jeep!

Wooders
28-01-2003, 08:26 PM
AW FAWK just type out a nice response & lost it....frig frig frig....oh well..
Too lazy to type it all again....To every con listed below that is a simple solution.....
The only people that shouldn't buy a TJ are those that piss&moan too much to realise that there are simple workarounds to these minor issues.....
Or that complain without the context that hey it's a 4x4 graemlins/avid.gif