PDA

View Full Version : rim off-sets?

Big_T
20-02-2003, 01:39 AM
OK I am a little confused about the wheels I have on this TJ I just picked up.

I think the cheapo 5 spoke mags this Jeep came with have a different offset to the originals, and I suspected this would narrow my tracking.
But the numbers don't really add up.

I hope it's ok to add pics to posts, but I need to, to explain things

All tyres are 31x10.5x15inch

So here is the spare on the tailgate:
http://www.users.on.net/tombrown/jeep/jeep_spare.jpg

and here is one of the CSA mags on the Jeep
http://www.users.on.net/tombrown/jeep/jeep_mag.jpg

So as you can see I think I am being robbed of 25mm of width per wheel, or 50mm overall.
Which might make a difference to the way the vehicle handles graemlins/dunno.gif

But then I measured the front and rear tracks, from tyre centre to tyre centre and they are 1460mm
And the manual says that factory is 1473mm
So I have only lost 13mm somewhere.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Tom.

Wooders
20-02-2003, 01:47 AM
Tom,

You mightn't want to here my 2¢... BUT sell those aftermarket rims and use that to help pay for a good set of 15x8" rims with less offset.

The method you've used to measure isn't real accurate - but you can easily see the disadvantages. BTW how much clearance do you have around the rear upper spring perch? I'd think it would be bloody close...

Jimmyb
20-02-2003, 01:54 AM
images are fine and yes you are being robbed by the looks.

Big_T
20-02-2003, 02:32 AM
After crawling underneath to see what's actually under there, I have learned that the mags are
15x6.5

What's standard? 15x8 I suspect?

I don't actually like the mags, and would prefer the stock rims, so selling is OK, but I don't know where to look for stock rims. Nothing in the trader here.

And here's the clearance I think Wooders is talking about?

http://www.users.on.net/tombrown/jeep/jeep_clearance.jpg

around 20mm - Doesn't look too bad, but I don't know for sure...

Tom.

Wooders
20-02-2003, 02:40 AM
Tom,

Stock rims are 15x7.
If you look in the for sale section you'll see TankJirl just conventienly is selling a set.

No that's not the spot I was refering to. You're mearsuring the clearance of the wheel to the upper front axle knuckle. I was refering to the clearance of the rear passenger tyres to the upper spring perch (mount). This is a fairly pointed section (if it hasn't been trimmed) and wheels like yours with 10.5" rubber would be bloody close to rubbing the tyre on the perch (ie not good)....Make sense??

Big_T
20-02-2003, 03:16 AM
OK Wooders,
Found it.
The driver's side has 15mm clearance
The passanger side has 25mm clearance

There's no signs of the inside of the tyre scraping, and they are nearly bald, so they have done some miles.

God, now there's more questions. Like:

Shouldn't they be the same distance?
Do those distances sound like enough for normal driving at 40psi?

Thanks,
Tom.

Wooders
20-02-2003, 04:06 AM
Ok does it have ANY sort of lift or does it look sagged from standard?
In either case the trackbar or panhard rod which attachs the axles to the chassis in the track direction (ie side2side not front2back) has simply pulled the axle slightly offcentre. It's no big deal - but obviously it's best it it is centred.

40PSI!!! WAY too much...I'd be suggesting about 32-34PSI with 31"s....

RogJK
20-02-2003, 04:34 AM
Yes, get rid of those wheels! Second hand original 7" ones would be better, but I would suggest go for 15 x 8's so you can run a bigger tyre in the future. Suburban has some, it is an oddball size so hard to find with correct backspacing which is the measure we tend to use rather than offset - standard is 4.5 inches measured from the back surface of where rim touches hubs to inner rim edge and the advantage of staying with this on 8" rims is that they don't stickout too far so okay with 31 x 10.5 tyres without having to change fender flares.

Just my 2c worth, Rog

zzzz
20-02-2003, 05:13 AM
Good advice from all on the board.

I am thinking of selling my 15x7 "stock" jeep wheels as well.

Mine have had the centres cut out and have been re-welded for much better backspacing.

I will sell them for a touch more than tankjirl just because they cost me to have them cut. $75 each, and I have 5 of em....they are painted black as well.

cheers

Zach

Steve
20-02-2003, 06:33 AM
When I bought my 15X8's even the 31's I was running at the time stuck out of the stock flares about an inch. Nuthin a set of 6" flares couldn't fix though! Big_T I'd pick up some stocker 15X7 Steelies. Unless you plan on going to a bigger tyre in the very near future.

Big_T
25-02-2003, 08:53 AM
OK, so now I know I have to get a set of stock 15x7 rims.
(No need to go bigger than 31x10.5 tyres)

What's the story with asking around or advertising for wheels?

Are Cherokee wheels 15x7?

Is the Jeep stud pattern the same as any other vehicle in AUS?
(TW @ USA 4X4 mentioned my mags were Magna wheels ?)

I don't want to get stung again.

thanks all for your help.
Tom.

mattc
25-02-2003, 10:49 AM
Magna and Ford Falcon have the same PCD as Jeep but you will always need to check the backspacing...perhaps the CSA mags you have were really a bolt up fit for a magna or falcon in the first place.

Where to get stock wheels??? - try for sale /wanted on this BB, dealers (who swap mags on straight away), TW @ USA4x4 or Mick @ Suburban

[ 25 February 2003, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: mattc ]

mattc
25-02-2003, 11:15 AM
stock wheels for sale on this BB (http://forums.ausjeepoffroad.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000196)

Dale
25-02-2003, 12:14 PM
Tom,
E-mail me if you like ernie@q-net.net.au

I might be able to help you out with stock rims and 31" tyres with heaps of tread and it won't be expensive. Freight will be mimimal too.

BTW, if you do wanna go taller in the future there is always 33 x 10.5.

Big_T
25-02-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by mattc:
stock wheels for sale on this BB (http://forums.ausjeepoffroad.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000196)<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks Matt, I did contact tankjirl about these, but hers have no centre caps/covers and it's pick up from Sydney only.

I am in Adelaide.

I will contact Dale as well, but if I can find some locally that should be cheaper maybe

Can I assume Cherokee wheels would be OK?

RogJK
25-02-2003, 08:14 PM
I thought Chero wheels had 5.5" offset? Looked at some alloys off 2000 Chero a few months ago and were certainly more than the 4.5 that I have. Rog

TW.
25-02-2003, 09:55 PM
lads, I have just sorted sets of new imported 15 x 7's white spokers (easy to paint yourself when there new) that are a negative 15mm off set (85mm back spacing), stock are positive 31, that will place this rim 2" further out past the point of a stock rim and even further than your magna wheels.

there good things, and at $120 each cheaper than any other wheel suitable for a TJ we've ever had.

they will place the 10.5" wide tyre out past the gaurd in the end by an inch and if that sort of stuff has you worried re: the local sheriff, you might want to consider stock rims, there aint no 5" flare out there to help either, only 6" which will really require an 8" wheel, we have them too for $140 each. they will run your 10.5 wide tire rite on the 6" mark ( a few mm under even).

Big_T
26-02-2003, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the replies and help.

The drama is over now as I am sporting a new set or late model wrangler steel rims

- basically the usual Sport steel rims, but with the new flat, domed centre caps instead of the cone shaped early versions.

Managed to do a somewhat dodgey trade in & cash deal with a tyre and mag place locally here in Adelaide. (no receipt ;) )

A tip for everyone, Go to the nearest tyre place to the biggest Chrysler dealer.

This guy does all the wheel upgrades and swaps for the dealership, and had a shed full of Jeep wheels - some with tyres...

The ride seems a fair bit better now that my track is the normal width.

Cheers,
Tom.

Wooders
26-02-2003, 11:07 PM
Don't forget to readjust your steering stops - as you should be able to regain some more turning circle graemlins/spinrhead.gif