PDA

View Full Version : Sway bar removal

Jimmyb
02-07-2002, 10:03 PM
whos running without a front sway bar when they go offroad? how much verical travel do you get and have you changed to longer bumpstops in the front?

aussietj
02-07-2002, 11:36 PM
usually disco off road, as I have a OME lift in the bump stops were modded by them, heaps more travel and a softer ride

Wooders
03-07-2002, 02:59 AM
Tera Quick dicos under my TJ.
Custom bumpstops (read washers etc ;) )
Reasonable but not measured amount of wheel travel....WAAAY more than a connected rig will allow....

LEXX
03-07-2002, 03:05 AM
I always run with disconnected front sway bar because of my lift. If I run without disconecting I run the risk of popping my joints when I flex.

I certainly noticed the difference 4x4ing when I had them done, the front wheels drop SO much futher. As for bumpstops you will need to extend the tops, you may also look at adding a spacer to the bottom ( you will see the bolt hole ) then you don't have to make the top ones as long and won't run the risk of them popping through the coil if you're on full flex.

You don't really need to buy "discos" all you have to do is buy a set of torx bits and you can undo the swaybar bolt, and just put it back in when you're finished ( this is the real cheap version ), just make sure you have an oki strap or something similar so you can tie up the swaybar.

Hope this helps, SSS :cool:

Jimmyb
03-07-2002, 04:04 AM
yeah from what i have read need to put some pucks or something at the bottom swingarm for the bumpstops to hit, i am thinking maybe 1.5 - 2" in size would help, have a look on the site and look at the last pic in my gallery and you will see the prob i have in the front end, the tyres also hit the wing on the bullbar which isnt real good for the tyres.

as for back bumpstops, think i might just make spacers.

what have you guys used in the front and whered you get it from? tongue.gif

Wooders
03-07-2002, 04:38 AM
Cut that bumper back some....
But otherwise your bump stops should be whats limiting upward travel - not panels, bumpers or compressed coils.....
With my bump stops I used the rubber block from my tail gate that was originally holding my spare tyre in place (my spare no longer resides on the tailgate), drilled into the lower spring perches and bolted the block there. For the top bump stop I simply added an inch or so of thick washers.

LEXX
03-07-2002, 04:41 AM
I c what you mean, The only thing I could suggest is have a chat to Mick at Sub4x4 and see if you can have a go at chopping the bottom, or just "redesigning" the lower front end of the bullbar. Looks like it wouldn't take much,maybe just a shave?

colingo
03-07-2002, 06:04 AM
Has anyone used a clevis pin and R clip in place of the bolt as a cheapo disco? and what are the pros and cons?

LEXX
03-07-2002, 06:13 AM
Sorry colingo I'm not to up with the mechnical talk(LOL) but my disco's are just a rod with two flat ends and hole in the middle. The "bolts" on the sway bar and axle have been replaced with flages with holes and then I just slide a pin though the two holes and I'm off or on?
It's a bit hard when I'm on a lean when I'm putting them back in, just get someone to stand on the bumper and jump (that does the trick).

colingo
03-07-2002, 06:30 AM
This is what a clevis pin looks like even if the yanks call it a tine pin, but dont get one with so many holes.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/budgetdisconnects/index.htm

I am finding it difficult to get a high tensile clevis pin so i might get the correct size bolt in 8.8 grade (high tensile) with an unthreaded section about 2" long and cut the thread off and drill a hole for the R pin.

LEXX
03-07-2002, 06:46 AM
Mine are similar but have the flange with a hole and pin welded ontop of the stock bolt and the rod connects to the sway bar.

Jimmyb
03-07-2002, 08:31 AM
im actaully want to stop upward travel, ie it goes up to far and rubs everything all insdie the guard etc, i guess just a rubber puck will do the job.

as for discos, i just have a wing nut on the top of the linkage, easy to undo, and just undo the bolts at the bottom with a stifter, have to lie down on the ground but only take about 2min to undo it all.

cost = 2 wing nuts + two hitch pins to keep them on.

stardotstar
04-07-2002, 02:43 AM
I have looked into quick discos but often times find that I am disconnected just as quickly with a torx bit and a shifter using the stock system keeping it greased and antiseized.

I always air down and disco now - much more fun.

billsta
04-07-2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by star.*:
I have looked into quick discos but often times find that I am disconnected just as quickly with a torx bit and a shifter using the stock system keeping it greased and antiseized.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">mmm.. *.* i think not, we might have to do a disco off, next meeting.

Phil
07-07-2002, 11:50 AM
colingo I had mine machined up threaded one end with nut thru diff bracket the other end shouldered onto bracket sized to the rubber in the link then a R pin thru hole drilled near the end. Doing the nut up makes the pin soild just pull pin pull the link off and your discoed whereas that pic on r/crawler would wobble methinks

Jeff
10-07-2002, 06:32 AM
I'll take you on with my jks 'slower' disconnects and a hammer!

stardotstar
10-07-2002, 07:03 AM
hehe - ahhh but the sound of a hammer... ringing out in the cold forest air... :D :D tongue.gif

colingo
10-07-2002, 11:11 AM
Cody, do you have a pic of your setup as it sounds good, but i dont quite get what you mean. :confused:

stardotstar
10-07-2002, 12:46 PM
iM SURE u r right Bill! You must be the quickest disco in the land! and I don't want to compete but I tell you - when you include airing down I aint never held anyone up! (and that includes sharing out tools) tongue.gif

(...Coming up D grade hills I confess ;) ... but not disconnecting)

arnie
14-07-2002, 03:47 AM
What's the big deal, I pull a pin on the drivers side, the same on the passengers side tie it up with a cable tie and bobs your uncle.
They are the Rubicon discos.

andy_n
03-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Strange that everyone starts somewhere.

I still don't like disconnects, would rather unbolt and then strap up.

Jimmyb
03-04-2008, 03:04 PM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/9/9e/300px-Vasnetsov_Grave_digger.JPG

Let them sleep andy, let them sleep!

lovemewrangler
03-04-2008, 03:11 PM
I havent reconnected by front sway bar for about 3 months since one of my jks links popped a bolt out (didnt bother disconnecting when i was softroading with a surf) havent had the time to go get a new bolt, and now that i have to use the TJ for work she gets some mean body roll going around the corners lol... im just runnign with rubo bumpstops that come with the kit, yes makes a massive differences with it off... but the rear one off makes the even more difference i reckon... but alot of people on here hate this idea... each to their own..

XJJEEP96
03-04-2008, 08:52 PM
I haven't had any sway bars on for 11 months got sick of disconecting .. U just gotta take it slow around corners witch i guess u should do in a lifted jeep or any car for that matter.. other than that no dramas..(The front sway bar makes a mean steeringbox brace he he)

andy_n
03-04-2008, 09:08 PM
hahahahahhahahahhhaahhaahahahah me bad.....

Ben
03-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Don't know how you guys can drive on road at speed for any length of time without re-connecting? 5 minutes (if that) for much, much better handling, why wouldn't you?

tonkatoy
03-04-2008, 11:00 PM
I run a jks quick disco in the front. It's tops, all you have to do is lie on your back and kick it off (so much better than a bloody hammer!). The travel and ride is phenomifreeekenal!!! This is only with a 2.25" OME lift, sure I rub on up travel and occasionally rip a flare off, but who the hell cares! As for riding without sway bars connected, it's all fine and dandy if you can control the need for speed! I know I can't! Just a word of caution, running without swaybars on road, it's all fine and dandy until you're in a serious prang and insurance bends you over about it. Of course this is assuming you've told the insurance company about all your other mods!!! *shifty eyes... don't look at the shifty eyes***

Gildo
04-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Hey thats a great idea, I just went and had a look at my sway bar and I figure if I just undo the bolts on the ends I could maybe double my travel?
What are these "Disconnects" of which you speeek?
What do they do?
Where do I get them?
Should I talk to Mick at Suburban?

Fat Chili
04-04-2008, 06:53 AM
Should I talk to Mick at Suburban?
Yeah! I heard he'll be importing Rubicon Express products soon (but for now he's just pushing ARB), plus if you wait a year or so longer (around 2004) their will be a couple of guys opening a store in Canaberra called Kao's.

mud guts
04-04-2008, 06:26 PM
I dont run one so not sure if i can help **)