PDA

View Full Version : Something just went BANG!

Gojeep
28-08-2002, 06:23 AM
Well this is the first part I have ever had fail on the XJ and is the only part I have had fitted too apart from the exhaust.
I was just reversing and when I braked at walking pace when I heard some let go in the rear end. Now when I go over 30 mph I get a banging noise coming from the diff that is very irregular. I put the car up on a trolley jack but could not make the sound until I ran the car while on the jack and brought the revs up with some brake on at the same time. It shook the jack handle and was very nasty to listen too.
I will have to pull the cover off tomorrow to see what let go but suspect the Tru-trac or the ring and pinion.
I just hope it is something that I can get here as don't want to do without a car for 6 weeks as it is the only car the family owns!
I hope the true -trac is fine too as did all I asked of it until now as I don't want a full locker but would not know what else to buy!

Anyone got good connection for the stuff I will need ( Dana 35C ) as last time I brought it all back in my suitcase from the States!

[ 28 August 2002, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Gojeep ]

97TJSport
28-08-2002, 02:43 PM
If ya know where I can get a Dana 44 with 4.10's for a TJ cheap, I've got a Dana 35 with 4.11's and PowerTrax No-slip.

Mike

{edit}Oh yeah, I've still got connections back in the States if you need it.

[ 29 August 2002, 02:45 AM: Message edited by: 97TJSport ]

Gojeep
29-08-2002, 06:05 AM
All fixed. Total cost $31!

Had snapped some bolts that hold the Tru-trac together and had to drill them out with a Cobalt drill. One of the internal diff bolts had bottomed out in it's hole and so loosened and fell out. The other two bolts then sheared but un-believably there was no damage to bearings, teeth or anything even though bolts were floating around inside. They had stuck themselves to the magnet I had glued to the drain plug. The noise was from one of the bolt heads that could not fall out as was floating around between the bearing cap and the back of the crown wheel but manage to bend the bearing cap bolts! Just replaced those as well and all is running well again. ;-)

CJer
29-08-2002, 08:50 AM
Shit man you are lucky smile.gif
it could have been a bad weekend for you :(

brizXJ
29-08-2002, 09:49 AM
Good on yer Marcus.......you live to wheel another day. Hey, how come you only got one Jeep, thought you had two?

dxj
30-08-2002, 05:05 AM
Hi,

That no other damage occurred is just yet more proof he is the XJ god. ;)

Gojeep
30-08-2002, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by BrizXJ:
Good on yer Marcus.......you live to wheel another day. Hey, how come you only got one Jeep, thought you had two?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The other one you see on my site next to mine ( white as well ) is my Dads just before I put a lift on it. He might be 72 but he has also fitted extractors and a free flow system. All the better to pull his caravan with. ;) I got him out of a 4Runner as he could not keep up on the hills anymore but even the Jeep doesn't pull as well as the big block lowered Ford Galaxy :eek:he had before that. But now at least he can go exploring more and is planing a trip to the Kimbleys after getting a taste of the Outback around Alice Springs!
The Green one ( my first XJ )on my site is the same one that was rolled just after it had been painted white only the month before graemlins/crying.gif
The Tan and Black XJ's were just customer ones that had come in for a swing-a-way bike carrier and the other a swing-a-way tyre and jerry holder that I used to make for the Jeep dealer. tongue.gif

[ 30 August 2002, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Gojeep ]