PDA

View Full Version : Auto Tranny Weirdo's

Steve
09-10-2002, 07:00 AM
Over the Queens Bday long weekend here in WA I went wheelin with Dale,JJungal,DamageMan and a "few" others. Anyways there was a bit of mud about and some muddy water crossings. After a bit of a play one arvo the Jeep started doing weird things. First the speedo stopped working. Then the next morning I went into town to grab some stuff. The auto would not shift at it's normal points. It would rev it's guts out before shifting. Oh and the speedo started to work again that morning. Must have been a wet wire maybe?

Anyway it did this shit all day. But on the way home it started to work and shift as normal and been fine ever since? I thought I may have gotten water into the tranny. But pulling the dipstick the fluid looked fine, not a muddy off colour or anything. So I am baffled really! Any ideas?

Phil
09-10-2002, 08:07 AM
water in the wiring harness plugs tends to make things go funny,
Climb under unplug anything you can find and flush them out with wd40/crc whatever
maybe hit the plugs with that stuff before you go wheeling next timecan't hurt

Wozza
10-10-2002, 10:11 AM
Thats odd. Despite alot of mudding and general abuse, the Heep has been fine since I bought it in April (apart from a TPS replacement). On the way to the Jambo I looked at the speedo and both it and the tacho had stopped working. The airbag light came on about 10 minutes before and then went off after a couple. When the speedo started working again, it was reading 80kph when I was only doing about 50..then suddenly all was good and it's behaved itself since. Sprayed WD40 under bonnet when I got to the Jambo.

Steve
10-10-2002, 10:22 AM
A Jeep thing I guess Woz

Wozza
10-10-2002, 10:53 AM
Yep, but one I don't understand :D

Jeeps
10-10-2002, 10:56 AM
I had my TJ rust proofed on monday and the bloke who did it said that because there's a nice donk of a computer and plenty of wires in the TJ that are easily seen, i should spray all the wires and bare bits with WD40 before i go into any wet areas or the beach. He even said i should spray my recovery points that are starting to show some signs of surface rust as he reckons it's magic for rust protection too.

MR. 04 X IV
11-10-2002, 03:03 AM
Not sure if this will help you aussie yank, but i think i know what's wrong with wozza's. The exact same thing happened to mine about 6mths ago... airbag light comes on and off, speedo and tacho stop while driving etc. I took it to jeep, and it's actually the connection in the dash that connects the instrument panel to power etc. They replaced mine and it's been working fine ever since. They said it's not a common thing, but have had several people with the problem over the last few years.
Hopes this helps wozza??