PDA

View Full Version : TJ Rear Brake Bits

dxj
03-02-2003, 05:03 AM
Hi Sir-camel,

Bonded exchange brake shoes from your local brake shop. Jeep want a fortune for factory shoes.

I don;t think anyone bothers replacing wheel cyl seals, just replace wheel cyl. If it needs seals it probably needs cylinder too.

Wheel cylinders from Suburban, maybe exchange shoes too. I think they have aftermarket ( better) alternative wheel cyl to Jeep for lower price.

Get drums machined only if necessary at your local brake shop.
It is a tradition that Jeep drums are flimsy and prone to go out of round quickly. Once machined, they are thinner and go egg shapped even faster. IMHO don't bother machining unless they are noticably a problem. New drums are expensive too.

Maybe try the usuals such as Mascots etc.

Cost for disk convert is cheap but paperwork is expensive.
I still think it is worth it for the much better brakes. I would never change back.

graemlins/beerchug.gif

sir_camel
03-02-2003, 12:39 PM
By the end of this week i have to have new brakes on the back of my TJ as its getting dangerous. I have decided to forget about the disc conversion because i am too worried about the cost of getting them engineered and approved for insurance. So i gotta get new drum brake shoes and new master cylinder (???) seals on one side. Basically my rear left brake has no effectiveness.

So do i have options for aftermarket brake bits or do i have to buy ones from Jeep? If aftermarket who has em??

Does anyone know rough pricing here?

I'll prob just end up doing it myself...just wanna find some good quality products and hopefully not for as much as Jeep charges.

Jeff
03-02-2003, 12:48 PM
You might find that a disc brake conversion will cost about the same.

Manuel
04-02-2003, 08:02 PM
I got my rear brakes done at suburban before heading off to fraser two weeks ago. I found them to be very conpetitive in price and felt more confident with them doing it than anyone else.

sir_camel
04-02-2003, 08:55 PM
Yeah i am getting them done at Suburban next week. Alls good.