PDA

View Full Version : Disk Brake Conversion?

P_PlateCJ5
15-04-2003, 07:55 AM
Could anyone please let me know the easiest way to change the front drums brakes to disk on a 74' CJ5

AussieCJ7
15-04-2003, 09:22 AM
Do you know which front diff you have I suspect a Dana 30

Not sure if you can bolt on the discs of an 80's CJ but that would be woth checking out

There are kits in the US to do it

here is an example dont know the quality of this kit though

Dana 30 disc brakes (http://www.performancesuspension.com/TruckJeepBrakes.htm)

I would go to a GOOD brake place and see what they can do I think EA rotors and calipers are a good starting point I know they are for the rear

Gildo
15-04-2003, 12:50 PM
The later front CJ axles are Discs, if you can find a complete one to upgrade this might be your best bet and a lot less fuggin round.
An F100 disc front has the same stud pattern, maybe it would work?
The EA discs were a bolt on option but the stud pattern isnt the same as the CJ, If you take a look through the archived posts there is a long thread re rear discs. EA calipers and Vitara Discs should do the rear but the front hasnt been researched here.
Maybe GOJEEP Marcus will jump in and fill the gaps?
He may have done this on a CJ front?

murray
14-06-2003, 04:13 AM
hi i found a real easy way to put discs to the front of my 74 cj6 if you can find the front diff of a mid to late 70's scout all you have to do is use the following the hubs and rotors the calliper mounts (need to drill 4 more bolt holes)
and the calipers of a f100 this all fits pretty
easily it works quiet good to as my cj6 has a v8 and auto trans and has stopped it for the last 15 years
regards muzz

Bogged
15-06-2003, 04:42 AM
easiest way is as gildo says, BUT.. you have to change the knuckles to get the disc and caliper. If you just go for the discs, then you have to fab up a braket for the caliper. F100 brakes are same bolt pattern, but I think they are too big for dana 30 caliper.

EA, yeah good for XJ rear as same bolt pattern, but not for CJ.

Range Rover/F100/Suzuki sierra have same bolt pattern, but Calipers will be different.

Hope this helps!

Colin

P_PlateCJ5
19-06-2003, 02:24 AM
Thanks for your ideas fellas. Ended up ordering a conversion kit. This included sending away my hubs to get machined so that they could fit a new disc (dont know what type of disk, think it might be custom) graemlins/dunno.gif

The kit also included a backing plate with full stone guard, single piston caliper (looks like that off a late model corrvette but again im not sure) and then all i had to get were some XJ brake lines. All bolted on easily but had to grind off a couple of mm from the caliper to make it fit.

Discs are huge (300mm) and are ventilated. Can't wait to get it back on its wheels and running so i can test them out.

Got some pics coming soon!!!

Gildo
19-06-2003, 12:26 PM
Sounds good, are you gonna disc the rear end too?
By the sound of it you can probably manage that too.
EA falcon rear calipers, Vitara front discs, no one here has done it yet, but it should be pretty straight forward job, or not, you dont have an AMC 20 in the rear of that do ya, is it a Dana 30?
or a 44???
Could be a totally different story graemlins/dunno.gif

P_PlateCJ5
19-06-2003, 01:36 PM
Wasn't planning on doing the rear, fronts are plenty. think my rear is a Dana 44, pretty sure but it could also be a 30. If its fairly easy i might look at doing it down the track. gotta get it on the road first (and in the mud).

Gildo
19-06-2003, 09:10 PM
Might be a good time to do it, most of us have done the "˙eah I'll do it one day" thing, and as a result nothing has happened!
There is a thread here somewhere Discs on ans AMC20, with most of the details, and gojeep has a write up on his site about the job he did on his XJ, Marcus is very knowledgeable about brakes and also very helpfull, I dropped in to visit, and he had all the answers in about 1/2 an hr of lookin and measuring.
It will give you way superior stopping power, an advantage most of us would like.
The other option is Ford Explorer rear disc setup, just a bit harder to find in wreckers than the old EA bits.
Keep up the good work.

Gildo
19-06-2003, 09:13 PM
Look here Disc brakes on AMC 20 (http://forums.ausjeepoffroad.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000002)

P_PlateCJ5
19-06-2003, 11:07 PM
Thanks for your help Gildo, the idea's sounding better and better all the time. I've got a few other things to do before i can get it road worthy (suspension, steering, body and lights are about it).

I bought it as my first car and having recently turned 18 and got my license, im getting a bit anxious and frustrated that i haven't got it on the road yet.

I bought it in pretty rough condition and have gone about doing it up, the guy who owned it before didn't take very good care of it. Its about 3 - 4 weeks away now and i've taken pictures every step of the way. If anyones interested i'll post 'em all and then people might be able to give me some ideas where to go from there.

-Cheers-

paz
20-06-2003, 11:00 AM
can i ask where you ordered the conversion kit from???im just hoping it wasnt the same place i got mine....
paz

Gildo
20-06-2003, 01:46 PM
P Plater, great to see someone enthuastic enough to actually take on a project like you have, but you sound like you're in a bit of a hurry to get this thing on the road! Im gonna start sounding like a real old man now, but these things take time and money. Often the less money you have to spend, the more time it will take, and occasionally vice versa.
You've made it 18 years so far without having a jeep to drive, what difference will a few more months make? You will find that an old CJ is about the worst car anyone could pick to drive round melbourne in winter.
Take as long as you need to get it right, its so much more satisfying to have a finished project to drive than one thats only 1/2 done and looks and drives like **** .

paz
21-06-2003, 02:35 AM
i agree with gildo,,take your time and do everything you want to do now,,,dont get it just ready for rego and leave some things out you want to do,,,cause im tellin ya,,you wont do it,,,i did the same with my truck,,,got it just barely done for rego and never touched it after i did get it done,,just drove it,,and i bet you will do the same...
paz

Gildo
21-06-2003, 11:31 AM
BTW, Im happy to come and watch, drink beer and consult as long as you supply the beer :D
Might even get my hands dirty after Ive had a couple graemlins/beerchug.gif

P_PlateCJ5
24-06-2003, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the offer, but ive done pretty much everything i want to do. I've been working on it for the past 3 months already and we've got a lot done. In the future id like to upsize the tyres and mabye give it a lift, however that all takes money as you know and i'll have to wait for it to build up again.

My mates dad makes bullbars and that sort of thing, so hopefully this weekend i'll be able to make up a new front bar, thicker rollcage and knock up a swing-out spare wheel carrier. after that its pretty much finished apart from a few odds and ends.

TOYROX
18-08-2009, 01:28 PM
[What The ............

Richo
18-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Im gonna start sounding like a real old man now.

'Cos you are Gildo ya old fart. Buy yourself a snuggie to keep the chills out.

An old CJ on the road in Melb in winter? Cool.