PDA

View Full Version : Power steering on CJ7

Johnboy
24-06-2003, 07:08 AM
How many turns lock to lock is there meant to be i have a f/s jeep p/s box in my cj7 and there is about 4.5 turns and its way too light. there are more turns after it hits the stops. this is about the last thing that i can see is causing my wandery steering. everything else is tight and seems to have no play. Any other ideas???? Help i'm starting to lose patience with my heap.

Cheers Johnboy

javajeep
24-06-2003, 10:54 AM
Do you get 'death wobbles' as well ?

Do you have a steering stabiliser ?

Wooders
24-06-2003, 09:13 PM
John,

Since generally will ben NOWHERE near the steering stops when normally driving - If this "light steering" is actually sensitive, you might find that you have insufficient caster.

AussieCJ7
24-06-2003, 09:14 PM
John,

Not sure if we have covered this here or another forum smile.gif

CJ's react really badly to caster angle problems and will wander in a very dangerous way if it is not right

Have you checked the caster angle?? Shackles can be a cause of castor being out. It made a huge difference to mine when we put some wedges in. It is not perfect but is at least 100 times better

A steering stab will help slow it down too just like Tony said. Idealy you shouldnt need a steering stab but its not a perfect world graemlins/headspin.gif

[ 25 June 2003, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: AussieCJ7 ]

AussieCJ7
24-06-2003, 09:15 PM
doh wooders same time graemlins/punchface.gif

Wooders
24-06-2003, 11:26 PM
Castor?
There's the problem it's the wrong sort of wheel ;) tongue.gif

AussieCJ7
24-06-2003, 11:33 PM
mmmmh yeah wooders graemlins/madfinger.gif

i should not be aloud near a keyboard before a coffee graemlins/punchface.gif graemlins/slap.gif

John you know what I mean :D

Wooders
25-06-2003, 01:28 AM
LOL I know whatca mean - actually I'm surprised I picked it up so early in the morning..... graemlins/drunk.gif

MC4X4
25-06-2003, 02:30 AM
Many years ago when I put power hook on my CJ I found it very light and it wasnt caster problems so i just ley mt tire pres down abit and it was fine after that.MC

Johnboy
26-06-2003, 11:34 PM
i am running 5degree caster wedges and a rancho5000 steering stab the caster wedges cured the wander ie drive down dirt or bitty road at 60 let go of wheel and keeps driving perfect no reaction tocamber of road or potholes. but when steering it just feels a little vague and really light. like up on jack stands light???any ideas. have played aroung with pitman shaft adjustment to see if it helps, but very little effect?

Cheers Johnboy