PDA

View Full Version : QLD Grand in trouble

Jimmyb
23-09-2002, 06:12 AM
was coming back from the sunshine coast to brisbane on sunday arvo and spotted all the traffic goin the other way was slow, saw it was becasue everyone was rubber necking at a grand on the side of the road, why were they looking, because one of his back wheels was missing.

i stopped and drove back up the centre strip to see if he needed a hand. well what a mess.

basically the rear disc rotor had a stress fracture which caused it to snap in half, when he applied the brake, disaster ensued, the axle snapped and threy the rotor and wheel off and the diff straight down onto the black stuff. no brakes for him and about 100mtrs of grinding until he came to rest.

i trudged back and found his wheel for him, only damaged on the inside of the alloy.

he called a towie and hopefully got a rescue from them.

hopefully he might turn up on here and let us know what the outcome was.

billsta
23-09-2002, 10:42 AM
holy crap...
thats crazy, someones going to get sued.. graemlins/dunno.gif

wonder why the rotor cracked? i guess stress??

OzJeeper
23-09-2002, 11:14 AM
I'm replacing my stock rotors very soon as I cannot get them to stay straight. They have been machined twice now and have recently warped again (as transmitted throught the steering wheel)
I was hoping to replace them with stainless/grooved rotors B4 the Jambo but that may not occur now (money!@)
The stock rotors, in my experience, are not very good and will need replacing B4 100k. I'm not surprised they fractured and destructed in the rear end.

Poly 4X4 have quoted me $130 per corner for aftermarket, imported s/steel grooved rotors. Not bad considering the cost of OME parts.

Mabe I should look at the F%^d replacements as well?

billsta
23-09-2002, 11:46 AM
DC are not very good at doing the rotors with the grand huh..
i dont remember having any trouble with the rotors with my ZJ, but my WJ had warped the rotors within months off the showroom.. :mad: and think it happened again soon after the replacments :mad: