PDA

View Full Version : My own "project ZJ"

MARXY
30-10-2002, 02:53 AM
You've probably all seen the US version of Project ZJ - the guy who built up a magnificint 6" lifted ZJ only to right it off.. well , that's not what I want.I just want your views on what I could do next to my humble beast. I know it all depends on what driving I do but I'd like to get a little more daring and tackle the odd rocky climb normally reserved for you guys with the 33" MTs etc and the odd deep river crossing.

My ZJ runs dual fuel, Rancho 9000s, Tomken heavy duty coils ( giving around 2" lift), disco sway bars, Cooper 30" STs. I have the radio, recovery gear (incl hand winch), fridge and all the bits and bobs. More interested in what I should save for now:
diff locks (have the ARB compressor - can it be used?); bull bar, power winch, rock rails, more lift, snorkel (although a prob with the ZJ - there isn't one)

No - i'm not rich - just thinking ahead and would appreciate your thoughts
cheers graemlins/beerchug.gif

>>> the missues if I spend any more graemlins/twak.gif graemlins/madfinger.gif :mad:

[ 30 October 2002, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: marxy ]

billsta
30-10-2002, 06:01 AM
i havent seen the 'project ZJ' but i've seen plenty of ZJ in the US on JU.. good and bad :D

stating the obvious, going to 33, you might want to look into ratios as well, or you might get away with it, not sure the standard ratios of ZJ's are, they my be 3.73 or 3.55 and the 33 should fit, with lesser offset wheels.

then,
ARB compressor, you can use it with the lockers, you proberly want to find a place ti pernamtly install it, ie under your rear seats, and you'll need the fittings and wiring loom to go to the lockers and your dash.
Diff locks, you can have ARB lockers in the front and the rear, (F-D30, R-D35c) or other lockers like Detroits or all out with OX.
Bull bars, ARB's the go, i wouldnt be bother with the US ones, however, the TrailReady looks quite cool...
winch, Warn 8000 will live in the ARB bars nicely, think the 9000's might fit too, but im pretty sure Warn winch with integrated solenoid wont fit..
Rock rails, make them your self, or have a local mob to make them for ya. or go all out and import them from 'Off Road General Store' in the US, and then martage ya house :D . you'll want some sort of rails, they can go on the ZJ before ya lifts...
More lift
ok, i like this,
if you are planning to go to 4"+ you'll have to think of the "OTHER" parts that you'll or might need to change as well.
1, SYE for 249 they are available
2, track bar F&R
3, LCA's or even UCA's
4, Longer driveshafts maybe

options
a, you can get bolt on kits from Rubicon Express (mick@Suburban)and TeraFlex (Tony@USA4X4), and they are pretty complete, and you dont have to worry about missin bits and piece there are other lift kits from Rustys, or Rockkrawler, and many others as well.
b, or you can build you a 'all sorts lift' maybe cheaper, maybe more expensive, one of the thing the dudes loves to do in the US is the F&R swap, where they put the front Spring of the ZJ to the rear, and then buy need springs to match in the front, think that gives you 2-3 inch of lift, havent tried it myself, but i suspects the ride can be rougher.

snorkel, none availble for a ZJ? you might have to guess again :D
http://pics.montypics.com/billsta/2002-10-30/zjsnorkel4.jpg
ask mick/mark at Suburban4WD for a price.

thats ArnieZJ's ZJ, 4 1/2" lift, lock F&R 31's MTR, snorkel, warn 8000, arb bar. and he drives as far as any of the big truck does. to give you an image of its ability, he used to do porters road when it was still open. :D

[ 30 October 2002, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: billsta ]

taziiy
30-10-2002, 07:01 AM
if i drove the way he does i could go anywhere too :eek:

OzJeeper
30-10-2002, 09:14 AM
Can't buy an ARB winch bar for a ZJ fer love or money (and I don't have a good suppy of either) I have been offered a EastCoast Bar for $1,300.00 in alloy.
Have a look in the Traders for a 6000lb winch ex Hilux or similar. Strong enough for the ZJ. 8000 and 9000 is plain overkill.

While in overkill mode - remove front and rear bumpers, stick in 4" lift and 33" tyres and really look the part! graemlins/crazy.gif

Or real overkill is to ferget the ZJ and grab a little "project Jeep" like a CJ or similar and really have some fun.

MARXY
30-10-2002, 07:33 PM
Thanks guys. Re the 33s - I think it takes some pretty major inside guard cutting to get them in - but point taken. The snorkel - I think Mick modifed that one to fit - not a std. I have spoken to him about it once before. And yes - know the issues with lifting higher - hence why only a sedate 2" was first attempted - but alas, my frustrations of my initial ( no longer) mechanic lacking foresight and only putting in short std Ranchos has limited TWs chance of going too much higher until I replace the Ranchos (which are still pups). Ross - ARB advertise a ZJ bar - am I missng something?

Oh yeah:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/grand/projzjintro.htm

AND

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/grand/risenfall/risenfall.htm

[ 31 October 2002, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: marxy ]

billsta
31-10-2002, 11:36 AM
nothing's an over kill :D and the winch can never pull fast enough tongue.gif (what have i done graemlins/headspin.gif )

i remember seeing that project ZJ now.. :D bummer about the write off..

i have talked with wooders a while back, and we both came to a conclusion that if we were to starrt again, we would have bought a old CJ (or DJ) and go stupid with it...

and in hind sight i should have kept my ZJ and monstify it rather than trying to do it with a WJ, the bottom line is that, its easier to go all out with a CJ or even TJ than try to do it with a family jeep...

it seems to be an over kill, but i do think that trying to make the Grand to become a semi hardcore machine is the fun in itself, than proving to the others that the Grands can do what ever the others can do is sight to see :D

what is my point? i dont really know, but do waht ever suits you.... cheeeers

MARXY
31-10-2002, 06:42 PM
Ditto Billsta. Ok - I may never get 35"s underneath, or 33"s for that matter, but in 3-5 yrs, the ZJ will be lookin' a little tired and no doubt another little Jeepster will have joined the Marx ranks - therefore, dare I say it here, a yota or triple diamond 7 seater may find its way into the household. The up side - the ZJ no longer takes the role of the "family" car - but rather "daddy's toy" and I can finally piss off the little Korean number that I am forced to drive during the week (albeit only to the train). Who knows - maybe an old TJ may be acquired a long way done the track - but I would still like to show that Grands can do it! - well ... most of it? graemlins/rock.gif

[ 01 November 2002, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: marxy ]

007JEEP
31-05-2003, 05:01 AM
You will battle to pull a TJ on an 8000lb winch. (Single line.) Dont even try it with a zj. Run 9000lb or higher. As for a snorkel for your ZJ.
Contact Michael Collins at Suburban. (Yes, He can do one)

Cheers

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/315000-315999/315301_7_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/315000-315999/315301_5_full.jpg

OzJeeper
31-05-2003, 11:03 AM
From the dark depths of my memory - snorkel for a ZJ - Mazda Bravo with some detail fitting.

Yep ARB do make a front bar and I still shudder at the price.

31's are as far as I will go and thats with coil spacers alone. Why spend huge amounts of money on a similar outcome if spacers will do the job.

May need to re-gear......

Biggest drawback with the ZJ is that it's still sorta new. And it's expensive to dent. ($800 for a rear bumper scratched on a log - gimme a break!)

Back to my previous - buy a toy - or maybe if the ZJ is now high milege and can become one - then just break out the dollars and go for it! :D

Can do a set of rock rails - one for you and one for me. :eek:

[ 31 May 2003, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: OzJeeper ]

billsta
31-05-2003, 03:13 PM
i really dont think modifying a grand is a good idea..

Bogged
01-06-2003, 08:26 AM
you speaking from experience there bill?

Jimmyb
01-06-2003, 08:34 AM
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/grand/risenfall/6liftrti01.jpg

quite impressive!

Gildo
13-06-2003, 12:30 PM
Hey 007, thats one Knarley Grand :eek:
More information PLEASE!

TJPete
28-08-2003, 07:49 AM
ARB do a winch bar for the ZJ, it has been around for at least 2 years. I have one on my own ZJ with a Warn HS9500.

You just don't see that many ZJ's set up for bush travel, that is why the winch bars are not common.

You can get a price list and locate your nearest dealer if you visit http://www.arb.com.au They don't have a pic of the ZJ winch bar on their web, but trust me, they have one and it looks like this ...
http://www.quantumtek.com.au/zjbar.jpg

Wooders
28-08-2003, 11:54 AM
Instead of a big arb style bumper - surely you could get a tube style than hangs down & perturds less and yet gives protection & mounting....
IMHO if you wanna get seriosus with a ZJ - it's best to get friendly with the cutting tools.
I believe many of the BIG ZJ's could actually fit their tyres with less lift & more cutting and hence be more stable.
Remember the golden rules of keeping the COG low & the weight light.
Also whislt I'm not too familiar with the ZJ, the other objective should be to get anything hanging underneath as high as possible...if this means doing a MML and cutting the floor to get the tranny & t/case up higher then it's still worth doing (also gets the sump up a bit).
even if you don't have the out&out clearance, if the underneath is solidly protected and as smooth as possible - it's amazing what you can effectively slide over/through....
Removing any non-vital item to lessen the weght is a big tick....
anyways IMHO that's how you get seriosu with it :mrgreen:

billsta
30-08-2003, 02:52 AM
http://www.fototime.com/BC5AA5FB96A41E4/standard.jpg

Jeeps
30-08-2003, 03:07 AM
Billsta! You finally got a Tent Jeep... :mrgreen:

TJPete
30-08-2003, 09:49 AM

And I thought I had the world's record for the most judicious use of gas plasma on a Jeep tub. :wink:

Images like this should be censored from my eyes. :lol:

paul mac
09-09-2003, 03:21 PM
I agree it`s not good to modify a grand... :wink: .
By the way just put a new set of 255 S/T coopers ,a new front drive shaft & a
new rear quadra drive diff in the WG , haven`t been bush yet as i have been at fraser island & in fiji the last couple of weeks. It goes much better on the beach in soft stuff now. The extra lift is gonna hafta wait for a while now. :D :D

80LIX
29-10-2003, 09:47 AM
Hey Marxy,

Hows the ZJ Project going?

BuzzLightyear
09-12-2003, 10:12 AM

I went out to Moab with Cody in this rig earlier this year. This was the result of a supermarket roll-over. The insurance company totalled it and he bought it back and did it up. The part that makes you choke is that he's at college (well he was this year) and tows this with another grand! Here you have to be fairly wealthy to even walk into the shop for a look at one.

OzJeeper
09-12-2003, 09:10 PM
Thanks BZL- Nice to know where these rigs come from. And welcome to the forum!

I need to ask "when is old enough" to modify the Grand? Mines coming up to 170,000km and it's still a reasonable road rig.

I have a real quandry however. Sitting in the workshop is a Skyjacker 4.5" lift including springs, upper and lower control arms (adjustable) drag link and other front stuff like quick disco's, and adjustable track bars. No shockers.

I would like to take the plunge but I think the effort would be better spent on the J10. Question is do I sell the Grand suspension on or keep it for "ron" (later ron)

From what I'm told the 4.5" lift will take 33's with no big dramas....just depends if you go for the 13.5" or the 12.5" width.

Your suggestions?

BuzzLightyear
10-12-2003, 04:24 AM
You rig is ready for lifting when you no longer need your money for anything else :D I started lifting mine when it was still under warranty. One of my [many] justifications was based on a question that I am often posed - "Why did you do that to a GC?". The answer is simply, because it's less likely to be damaged when 'froading. (of course that's BS because it just takes you to bigger and messier places, but it'll do).

My setup has cooper 33.1" tyres and they rub under full compression sometimes at the rear - I think only on the left. If I get the wheels re-centred under the body then it should go away because it is only just rubbing. I'm at a total of 5.25" lift, and if I had the original bumper it would never fit into that wheel well.

sir_camel
10-12-2003, 11:33 AM
Post more pics of ya ZJ BLY, sounds like a decent rig.