PDA

View Full Version : Spring Shackel Rubber - or Nolathane?

OzJeeper
26-09-2003, 09:31 PM
Gid Morning....

I have a problem (no snide remarks pls) in that I need to replace the shackle rubbers in the FSJ.
Q??? Do nolathane (spell) cut out quicker that the OEM rubbers (stop it) or is the newer material OK.
My rubbers are in need of replacement (stop it I said) as they are very sloppy and worn.
Any experience her between nolothane Vs OEM rubber mounts?

ta muchly....

CJer
27-09-2003, 11:33 AM
I run Rubber in the fixed eye and red nolathane in the pivots and the seem to last ok. 3 years to date

nutbreak
27-09-2003, 11:50 AM
good question, when i was hunting for new bushes around the cj i was told that oem rubber is obsolete, so i had to go for nolathane, i would have rather had rubber as it is much softer and doesent start to squeal if left in the elements without rubber grease, i am a firm believer that if a car manufacture spends millions of dollars on research and testing,and then decides that rubber bushes will be used instead of other types of compounds( and nolathane is not the only one,there are a dozen to choose from)then they must know something we dont, but if its the only thing available theres not much choice,after using nolathanes for about three years i noticed that it tends to compress on the load bearing spots and doesent stand up again which means replacing compared to rubber bushes that can stay in some cars for ten years without failure, u will get a stiffer tighter system using nolathane but for a shorter period, as they say u win some , u lose some , so for competition i can understand the use off nolathane(as it will be replaced every couple of races ) but i would stick to rubber , i hope i was informative (maybe talk to ur local suspension dealer for more info)

OzJeeper
27-09-2003, 10:14 PM
The Red Nolathane is kind on the bolts? Have heard that the nolothane units tend to grab dirt and grit more and cut out quicker, including the bolts.
Also have jeard that the OEM rubber give more articulation 'cause of the ability to compress further on sideways movement, whereas the Nolathane is not as squishy (technical term there, sorry).

Wooders
28-09-2003, 08:15 PM
I'm planning top go rubber on the CJ - Sure the poly/noly/ury stuff lasts longer - but IMHO rubber lasts long enough....and works better...