PDA

View Full Version : TOWBAR/Hitch for WG2001

asp_777
09-12-2003, 08:34 PM
Need to fit a towbar to my newly acquired Jeep. Any recommendations and who has them at the best price :?: ? I would tkink they would be easy enough to fit myself. True? Thanks guys.

billsta
10-12-2003, 11:00 AM
new tow bar? dont you ahve a factory tow bar already?? (from a different thread)
me = confused.

anyway best price? not sure.. ARB tow bars are at set price. try any ARB dealers around ya place.
try one of the "Jeep part supplier" in teh sticky section...

also, good purchase, & where you live?

wildturkey
10-12-2003, 11:41 PM
I had an ARB fitted a few weeks ago over at Suburban 4WD. Price was $450 fitted or there abouts. You'll find that the ARB stuff is the same price wherever you go (give or take a few bucks). If you want to fit it yourself then the fitting component of the price was about $70. I figured that if it takes them a couple of hours to fit and wire up it'd probably take me most of the day lol so $70 bucks well spent i reckon :)

asp_777
11-12-2003, 04:27 PM
Thanks for that, I think ARB seem the most professional and responsive

wrench
11-12-2003, 10:29 PM
Believe it or not but back in April genuine Jeep bars were the best price (supply only). Factory wiring kit was pretty reasonable also & straight plug in job after you strip out half the rear trims(proper grommets & harness plug not crappy scotchlocks).
David

asp_777
12-12-2003, 05:25 AM
Hi David, I asked Jeep already, they wanted $650 fitted. Mad! Seems that everyone else is charging the same price, so be it. Thanks Steve

billsta
12-12-2003, 06:12 AM
what TOW BAR are Jeeps supplying these days?

i remember they used to supply Haymen reese...

asp_777
12-12-2003, 06:37 AM
I think they ALL source the same brand "Haymen reese" and rebadge them. Probably sounds better to buyers. I also have a "genuine" Jeep Bullbar, I wonder what brand it really is?

goodol55
12-12-2003, 09:09 AM
My tow bar is the HReece style removable box section but badged ARB and fitted predelivery by Jeep dealer.
Had to get the adjustable weight distribution hitch to set the tow ball up at the correct height. With the trailer connected previously the rear of the Jeep dropped at least 150mm. On other vehicles I used to use King progressive rate springs to get the back up. This time I thought the springs might lift the rear up too much while unladen. The distribution hitch works very well in getting the whole rig perfectly horizontal. The benefit now is that the jeep suspension is still standard. I thought that was a good thing but after joining this board I'm wondering :?

asp_777
14-12-2003, 06:28 AM
goodol55, Seems you have it all togther. Just completed install of H/Reese towbar and all looks good. Thanks

billsta
14-12-2003, 09:17 PM
interesting reading on towing setup...

should make a new thread on what to look for when setting up for towing :wink: :mrgreen:

asp_777
16-12-2003, 05:26 AM
I was impressed with the fit of the H/Reese towbar. Everything fitted EXACTLY as it should. Instructions are quite clear although some common sense is required Take care when cutting the bumper bar to allow the protrusion of the "tongue", There is a bit of careful cutting/filing required. Steve

nzdans
26-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Sorry, had to bring this one to life as it's the best the search gave me. I have been wanting to install a tow bar for quite some time for 3 reasons:
We have a fishing buddy that would appreciate me sharing the load as far as towing his boat goes (we may get a camper trailer at a later date also)
I am worried about the load on the unibody chassis during recoveries so would prefer it was evenly applied via the tow-hitch
We have a 4 bike carrier which could carry up to 80Kg (downforce) of bikes, I really need to do some shuttle runs with the Jeep and get our bikes dirty!

So yeah, I've had a bit of a search in the Grand area re tow bars, looks like the ARB may mount a bit better than MOPAR. I've also been quoted by ARB, TJM, Poly 4x4 and local discount towbar mob; prices don't vary that much.

Questions are; strength (mounting plate reinforcement etc) & departure angle mainly. Does the (stock) rear bar need to be cut to fit a bar? I'd love a rear bar like some of those offered from the U.S. and am not afraid to mail order although am worried about Aus compliance.

I'm pretty sure I'd like to keep the medium (read soft) OME springs in the rear of our WJ and install some kind of air bag setup so advice would be appreciated; we have onboard ARB compressor for lockers etc already, not sure if this kind of compressor suits?

Additionally I'd like to acknowledge that I accept I am an idiot for modifying such a sedate/old vehicle so much (I've just been through the process of re-insuring it - ouch!). We'd like the Grand to be very capable (on it's 30.5" muddies) but in no way extreme (it's a daily driver and I'd like it to be comfy and last).

HEEELP!

Cheers.

turbomart
26-05-2010, 10:36 PM
I believe the mopar bar is notched into the plastic rear bumper.Ive got a hayman reese which sits just below.
If you want something really nice go a full replacement steel bar with swing-away wheel carrier avail in the US.

drover
27-05-2010, 08:58 AM
[/URL]My Jeep badged tow bar is hayman reece type and sits just under the plastic bumper. Would loved to import an all steel bar for the back.
Piccie of the bar with the bumper off

[URL=http://img337.imageshack.us/i/image005zr.jpg/]http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/2334/image005zr.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/1540/dscf4901.th.jpg (http://img203.imageshack.us/i/dscf4901.jpg/)

Chumby
27-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Man... why doesn't someone manufacture a rear steel bumper here in Aus....I reckon they could get ten sales from us straight away...

Cheers
Chumby