PDA

View Full Version : A/C only works on defrost - SOLVED

goodol55
16-01-2004, 10:27 AM
The A/C is not cooling on normal setting on the dial like recirculate, face, knees and face - the fan is working but air is not cooled. When dial is turned to last two positions on right ie defrost+feet, or 100% defrost, the air is being cooled properly.

Has anyone had this before?
If so is there a quick fix?
Could it be a simple switch playing up in the compressor or dash board maybe?
Vehicle is only 11k old

Can't get in to dealers til Thursday next week.

ACJ
16-01-2004, 03:49 PM
take it back dude

billsta
16-01-2004, 11:21 PM
take it back dude

x2...
its still under warranty let them sort it out but make sure they explain everything to ya, and retain all broken bits.
and THEN tell us how to fix it :mrgreen:

i have a different problem...
i have no heater or no heated seats... makes winter drive fun.. :mrgreen:

ACJ
16-01-2004, 11:47 PM
my drivers seat don't heat

Dave
17-01-2004, 01:05 AM
I had a similar prob in my XJ where it would only blow out the defroster. It was a really small pipe in the engine bay at the windscreen end. I was lucky in the sense that when I opened the bonnet and had a bit of a listen I could here it, found it and put it back where it was spose to be. Fixed the prob straight away.

Good luck!

goodol55
18-01-2004, 02:16 PM
had a look under bonnet Dave and there are heaps and heaps of small pipes goin' everywhere....yep....its a dealer's job alright.

wildturkey
18-01-2004, 04:43 PM
The A/C is not cooling on normal setting on the dial like recirculate, face, knees and face - the fan is working but air is not cooled. When dial is turned to last two positions on right ie defrost+feet, or 100% defrost, the air is being cooled properly.

Has anyone had this before?
If so is there a quick fix?
Could it be a simple switch playing up in the compressor or dash board maybe?
Vehicle is only 11k old

Can't get in to dealers til Thursday next week.

maybe you just have a WJ thermostat trying to control a WG compressor... :P

I currently have a problem wth my air but different to yours. I constantly have a small amount of air leaking to the feet. Bloody annoying when the a/c is on and you don't want cold air at your feet. Dealer was supposed to fix it when i had the steering box replaced last week (under warranty) but "didn't get around to it" instead told me they would look at it when i bring it in for a service. Nice try as they are well aware that i don't have it serviced by Jeep so again, more farkn around :evil:

Good luck with your problem and let us know what it ended up being :)

goodol55
18-01-2004, 04:59 PM
[quote="wildturkey"]
maybe you just have a WJ thermostat trying to control a WG compressor... :P
quote]

OMG - you are probably right :lol:

btw, how many k's did your steering box last :?:

wildturkey
18-01-2004, 06:18 PM
btw, how many k's did your steering box last

I first noticed a problem at 12K.

goodol55
18-01-2004, 08:55 PM
not the right answer!!!

What was the box doing....or not doing :?:

wildturkey
18-01-2004, 09:25 PM
Steering had too much play and a knocking noise. Easiest way to spot it is- while stationary and with the engine running, turning the steering wheel left to right (bout 30° each way) would result in a knocking noise and excessive play.

They replaced the pitman arm first and it made the noise louder, and steering with more play, than before. I drove around with the dodgy steering box for 10K klm from the time the dealer first looked at the problem in early November to when it was finally fixed last week (i now have just over 22K klm). Finally after some delays and other all too common customer service issues :evil: :evil: , it was fixed.

goodol55
18-01-2004, 09:39 PM
thanx wild - I could'nt bring myself to turn 30deg lock-to-30 deg lock while car is stationery - call me old fashioned....

but that is good info and i'll keep an eye out for it.

wrench
18-01-2004, 10:49 PM
Sounds like a faulty contact in the rotary control. Only guessing so please let us know what they find.
Yep my power steering is playing up too. Also got a reccuring performance/gear shift problem.
What is it with these cars. I've had more problems with mine in 8 months than my last 3 cars & getting a bit frustrated with effective repair attempts.
Cheers
David

billsta
19-01-2004, 05:56 AM
yeah what happened to the A/C problem?
screw the power steering :mrgreen:
its getting hot here :mrgreen:

goodol55
21-01-2004, 05:14 PM
Sounds like a faulty contact in the rotary control. Only guessing so please let us know what they find.
Yep my power steering is playing up too. Also got a reccuring performance/gear shift problem.
What is it with these cars. I've had more problems with mine in 8 months than my last 3 cars & getting a bit frustrated with effective repair attempts.
Cheers
David

My gearbox is different to yours as mine is the merc 5speeder - so hopefully I wont have any shift problems.

I suspect I'll have same steering box as you blokes so that's not encouraging.

What else should we look out for David? gulp :!: :!:

wrench
21-01-2004, 09:22 PM
Nah dont panic. I'm just a grumpy & fussy ole bugga. If it aint broke dont fix it.

Although the list is growing.
1 fuel pump repair & 1 new fuel pump. (started to play up at Birdsville)
Front driveshaft replacement to cure front diff whine/growl.
Charcoal canister in unsuccesful attempt to cure stalling, hunting idle, hi fuel consumption & poor performance. (approx $150 extra fuel on Vic trip after the so-called fix)
Steering column groan since new.
Steering pump now very noisy under light/medium load.
New front pads & rotors fixed brake shudder.
Told theres nothing wrong with a car that veers left & that my lhf tyre had 18 psi less pressure than the rhf although I checked them 2 days before. (yes jeep do make offset balljoints to cure this problem)
1 remote transponder has become very inefficient but apparently tests OK.

Despite this the ACJ folks have been very helpful & pleasant. Its just a pain when you are a mechanic but have to let someone else fix your wty problems with 4 hours out of your day to drop off & pick up each time.

Cant explain why but I still love the car. "Must be a Jeep thing"
David

goodol55
23-01-2004, 08:54 AM
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

OMG - how embarrassing is this.......

a/c works on "defrost" even when the a/c switch is TURNED OFF!!!!!
this is the first car I've had with this feature - whence I didn't even notice (or think to look) that the a/c switch on the dash board was turned off.
The system is working perfectly.

Goose of the day :?: ........look no further

ouch :oops: :oops: :oops:

cherokee94nz
23-01-2004, 09:36 AM
When all else fails read the instruction manual, yeah i know we have all done that before. Penguin

wrench
23-01-2004, 10:15 AM
Eeerrr OOPS.

Didn't think of that one either.

goodol55
23-01-2004, 04:55 PM
Nah dont panic. I'm just a grumpy & fussy ole bugga. If it aint broke dont fix it.

Cant explain why but I still love the car. "Must be a Jeep thing"
David

hmm......they are mounting up for you.......and I agree its the inconvenience thats sucks :!:

that v8 must be pretty special and that's why u love it hey :wink:

I know i'm totally stoked with the deisel.
Catcha soon

omaroo
05-02-2004, 08:17 AM
Kel

I can't remember ever picking up a car, and bothering to wait around for the dealer to go through all the switches and trinkets. I say to them "don't worry mate.... I'll figure it all out. Can't be too hard."

hehe... :) the number of times I've stopped the car somewhere and the bloody central locking won't open the doors for me because I've forgotten to turn the widget to the left and push button "Y" four times before I got out.

LOL!!

goodol55
05-02-2004, 10:56 AM
Chris - happened to me this morning - I pulled up @ a building site to drop stuff off and couldn't open the door behind driver. Here we go I'm thinking - door jammed! :evil:
Co-incidentally I had to drive past dealers on the way back to office but just before I got there I thought I'd better check out the commands incase there was someting in there - low and behold - found it.
Apparently, while flicking through roof mounted command centre earlier on I somehow (inadvertantly) told the thing to only unlock drivers door first with remote.

So that one only took me 12000ks to find. :) still learning........