PDA

View Full Version : cj brakes upgrade

ian
29-01-2004, 08:34 PM
Just fitted an 82 chero master and booster, wow what a difference from no power brakes to stopping on a dime :D I used the original alloy spacer and removed the 4 studs and replaced them with 4 long threaded rods. Then I made a polly spacer so it would clear the gear selecter on the steering, also made the brake pushrod longer to suit. Bolted it up and the original break lines even screwed in :shock: made a bracket to support the extra weight and it was done. the parts cost only $250 well worth it. :D

ACJ
30-01-2004, 05:21 AM
Its nice to know that you can stop when you need to im doing rear disc set up for my cj have started to source the parts im tired of adjusting rear shoes :D

ian
30-01-2004, 07:19 AM
Allan what kind of rear disk setup will bolt on?

andy_n
30-01-2004, 07:22 AM
Tyres Ian Tyres, know more projects until you get the new meats, so that we can go away somewhere. :lol: :P

ACJ
30-01-2004, 04:13 PM
im going to use subaru calipers because they have the handbrake set up on them
and i think suzuki vitara discs you can buy kits already done but where is the fun in that as real jeeps are biult not bought :) ill let you know ho it gose

Gildo
30-01-2004, 06:45 PM
Went through the measurements and proceduree with GOJeep, and the EA Falcon calipers should go well with the Vitarra Rotors. DBA part No. 514 From a Grand Vitara Estate 91-98 have all the right measurements, and are 22mm vented discs!
Falcon set up has a hand brake also, and the spares will be dirt cheap and available at almost every parts store in the country.

ian
30-01-2004, 08:36 PM
Acj sounds good, does your cj have power breaks now? I think I will have a look into what Gildo said. I will let you know what I work out. :wink:

millhouse
30-01-2004, 09:39 PM
Heard there was a bad jeep bug going around
anyone got a cure!!! :shock:

ian
30-01-2004, 09:51 PM
Dave if you find a cure please send it to me :cry: or could your better half make something in her lab :D

Gildo
31-01-2004, 09:20 AM
Ian, there is a long thread here somewhere with all this info and other options of upgrades, have a look in the CJ section and you should be able to find it.

ACJ
31-01-2004, 01:36 PM
yes it dose but 4 discs would be sweet :)

AJ CJ5
21-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Here's an old thread!

Does anyone know anything about a guard mounted brake booster. i have one in the cj6 im hoping to use on my cj5 when i get disks on the front. I want to try and keep the peddals through the floor. I would do a hanging pedal set up but all my new wireing is mounted high up on the fire wall right where the brake booster would be if i did that mod. From what i know it will only power the front.
What is this particular booster called and where could i learn more about it?

CJ6np435
21-02-2006, 04:17 PM
if it's the one I think, ie remote mounted, it's a PBR VH40 vacuum booster, I have one hanging in the wall in my shed, ex old cj5, you might still get a rebuild kit for them, if your lucky, I did a sketch of all the parts years ago when I rebuilt mine, I'll have a look for it if you're interested.

AJ CJ5
21-02-2006, 05:11 PM
yeah, i did some research and i think it is a VH40 or 44. A universal type booster found on many different cars. I thought it may have been a jeep item but its not.
One guy i read was using one on a V8 XP ford sedan. So it should do the job in the cj5.

Frank.M.
28-04-2006, 08:30 AM
I have fitted a PBR V40 to my CJ6,still running drums,still dicey when wet or dusted up I have to go to discs,did have a list of parts (some used) for a change over but have lost it,can anyone help out,I know Ford 4wd rotors were in the mix.

Frank.M.