PDA

View Full Version : Rubicon 4.5 IT'S IN :)

ACJ
10-05-2004, 02:42 PM
ok its in but still need to sort out shocks and rear drive shaft and of coarse see how it flexes. As for first impressions the ride is very smooth
and thats with old shocks that are stuffed and too short.
I don't have any tail shaft vibes but the unis are on the limit so time for a double cardnal rear shaft and hopfully that finishes the mods :lol:

AussieCJ7
10-05-2004, 02:46 PM
Look at that purty tiny Jeep :mrgreen:

Looks great just sort out those pesky little things like drive shafts and shocks then it is time to hit the dirt and get those springs broken in

Dont think you will be rubbing until those 33's wear out now :)

You still going to loose the body lift ?

ACJ
10-05-2004, 02:50 PM
You still going to loose the body lift ?

thats happening durring the week

omaroo
10-05-2004, 02:52 PM
Nice one Allan :)

Got to see how it goes.....

Saxon
10-05-2004, 03:13 PM
did you do the install yourself???.....looks trick!!! :D
What width are those diffs?

ian
10-05-2004, 05:47 PM
Looks good Allan :D I think it will be sweet without the BL. I have the same prob with my rear sharft, I got a quote last week to move the mounts on the rear diff and rotate the front up.. $250 if I remove and replace. This will fix my angles.
What's next.....35,s :lol:

ACJ
10-05-2004, 05:55 PM
. I have the same prob with my rear sharft, I got a quote last week to move the mounts on the rear diff and rotate the front up.. $250 if I remove and replace. This will fix my angles.

I have wedges under the rear as well as the front and im going to the double cardenl style shaft one from an old cherokee and cut it down

'The mod list is
35 and flares (same time)Then
high mount winch and dual batts
all before jambo hopefully

ACJ
10-05-2004, 06:00 PM
did you do the install yourself???.....looks trick!!!
What width are those diffs?

Yes Saxon I fitted it but its going to suburban so it can go up the ramp to work out shock lengths

the axeles are narrow track at the moment but with 10" rims and the offset its wa wide track specs but old cherokee diffs would be nice

ian
10-05-2004, 06:38 PM
double carden, from a chero. Good idea. PLS keep us posted. What did you for the wedges? can you bye them? :D

ACJ
10-05-2004, 06:44 PM
Thay came in my kit they are 2.5 degree for the rear and 2 degree for the front
the front is to correct the caster the back to help increase the pinion up
yes you can buy them i have an old set but can't remember if they are 2 degree or 2.5 :D

ACJ
10-05-2004, 06:45 PM
Ian didn't you get wedges with your kit?

ian
10-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Ian didn't you get wedges with your kit?
No! So I guess U can bye them then!

ian
10-05-2004, 07:10 PM
Allan...Do you need the old set! If not do you want to sell them? :D

AussieCJ7
10-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Ian get a wheel alignment done first and find out your castor angle as you will need to take this into account to decide what deg wedges you need in the front the rear is just based on the pinon angle you desire

ring suburban or hammonds etc they will sell you a set i think mine were about $20 or maybe even a lot less I can not remember but they were cheap

Just DO NOT get the alloy ones they crack and make sure you get the centre pins that bolt through them or they move and can cause big problems

It is all the little things like these wedges and brake lines that make the RE kit seem expensive but not so bad when you take into account and add them to the other kits

billsta
10-05-2004, 08:54 PM
i like the red beast in the backgrond...

ACJ
10-05-2004, 10:22 PM
i like the red beast in the backgrond...

That red beast saves me so much time :D

ACJ
11-05-2004, 02:33 PM
Quick up date
I got my new secondhand tail shaft today took it straight to hardie spicer
to have it cut down
cost $160 for shaft and $120 to have it cut,shut and balanced
should get it back friday arvo just in time for its shock messure up on sat :mrgreen:

Dorzun
11-05-2004, 08:02 PM
Mate,

Schwweeeeeeeeeettttttt :!: :!:

Suffering from a bit of envy and have not had time to post.

Ask Dave what my reaction was when he called and told me to check the board.

As Gary larson said in one of my favorite cartoons,

"Look'n Good Vern"

Can't wait to see, and wheel with you and the beast in person soon.

Should have both of ours sorted out around the same time. Could be an excuse for a "Day in the CJ's" trip. Not to hard tracks, wife (kids for Dave and I) and a nice picnic ;unch somewhere. Whatta you say :?:

ACJ
11-05-2004, 08:30 PM
Sounds good
needs to be an easy run just to have a play

ian
11-05-2004, 08:37 PM
Y don't U both move up to Queensland so I have some other cj to wheel with! I am a bit sick of all the tj drivers up here :shock: :wink: :lol:

AussieCJ7
11-05-2004, 08:39 PM
Yeah I am keen for a "Day of the CJ trip" would be keen for even a regular quaterly trip

an easy trip with the familes or a medium one with just the guys

ACJ
11-05-2004, 08:42 PM
Y don't U both move up to Queensland so I have some other cj to wheel with! I am a bit sick of all the tj drivers up here

There are three of us here that use our cj's you could be our forth
As for tj's they are every where you go there like sheep :P :lol: :lol:
way to common but least that keeps them out of cj's :P :P :lol: :lol:

ian
11-05-2004, 08:50 PM
Y don't U both move up to Queensland so I have some other cj to wheel with! I am a bit sick of all the tj drivers up here

There are three of us here that use our cj's you could be our forth
As for tj's they are every where you go there like sheep :P :lol: :lol:
way to common but least that keeps them out of cj's :P :P :lol: :lol:
I love that one..
TJ's are like ass holes!........... Every one has one :D :lol:
I stole that one from jimmy.

CJ6np435
11-05-2004, 11:12 PM
ACJ
looks high enough now!!! is a spring over?
how long will it be before you want to go wider :?: :D

Dorzun
11-05-2004, 11:17 PM
ah, yopu might be forgetting another CJ in the sydney fold.

It's also going through some changes such as currie diffs. ring a bell?

AussieCJ7
12-05-2004, 08:54 AM
ACJ
how long will it be before you want to go wider :?: :D

Not SOA he went the Rubicon express 4.5" extreme CJ kit

Dorzun
12-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Y don't U both move up to Queensland so I have some other cj to wheel with! I am a bit sick of all the tj drivers up here :shock: :wink: :lol:

Sounds like a good excuse for a trip to the middle meeting point for all. maybe Coofs and get the boys from Jeep Action along with their CJ's.

Would make a good story for the mag as well.

ACJ
12-05-2004, 12:01 PM
ACJ
how long will it be before you want to go wider

Its to high at the moment the body lift is going
As for wider well its a dream at the moment

ACJ
12-05-2004, 06:09 PM
ah, yopu might be forgetting another CJ in the sydney fold.

It's also going through some changes such as currie diffs. ring a bell?

NO haven't forgotton
just haven't seen it out yet so when i do then ill count it :P

AussieCJ7
12-05-2004, 06:59 PM
if we count ones like that certain white one we will also have to count wooders cj5 and wagon and boggeds cj7 and the 1000 oher cj's and early jeeps in bits

but there is a cj5 that has just had or is in progress of a ome lift that may be interested

ian
12-05-2004, 09:37 PM

Sounds like a good excuse for a trip to the middle meeting point for all. maybe Coofs and get the boys from Jeep Action along with their CJ's.

Would make a good story for the mag as well.

Sounds like fun! Its all down hill from Queensland I think she could make it :lol:
The boys from jeep action would be keen I think! They seem to like cj's.
We ran into them at LCMP offroad expo 2 weeks ago and they had already found my cj in the carpark and got pics of it.
They e-mailed us this week and want to do a story on her for the mag..

There were a few other jeeps up there that would be worthy of that but the seemed to like my cj :?

ACJ
13-05-2004, 12:03 PM
its not finished yet i don't think but would be good to compare the re and the ome

billsta
17-05-2004, 12:52 AM
c'mon ACJ..
get it done let go and test it out :mrgreen:

cj5350
24-05-2004, 10:12 AM
ACJ , just back to the tail shaft....I thought about the same thing...got the shaft
but didn't get the flange for the output shaft...you think hardy-spicer sell them seperate???? got a number for them

Cheers

CJ5350

Wooders
24-05-2004, 12:47 PM
if we count ones like that certain white one we will also have to count wooders cj5 and wagon and boggeds cj7 and the 1000 oher cj's and early jeeps in bits

:oops: :cry:
Maybe 2020 Jambo?
Actually the TJ came out of the garage on the weekend & the CJ chassis dropped down onto the stands ready for more surgery.... But stilll a loooong way away :|

ACJ - Looking good there mate!! Did you doa schackle reversal at the same time or is that a future project?

ACJ
24-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Posted: 24/5/2004 Post subject:

ACJ , just back to the tail shaft....I thought about the same thing...got the shaft
but didn't get the flange for the output shaft...you think hardy-spicer sell them seperate???? got a number for them

hardi spicer don't sell them but i think the frot yoke from a cherokee will do the job but have to find out

ACJ
24-05-2004, 02:07 PM
ACJ - Looking good there mate!! Did you doa schackle reversal at the same time or is that a future project

Wooders thats a one day mod at the moment im realy happy with the ride
And there are a lot of other things i would like to do first :) all before jambo
but i can't see it :lol:

AussieCJ7
24-05-2004, 02:21 PM
ACJ - Looking good there mate!! Did you doa schackle reversal at the same time or is that a future project

Wooders thats a one day mod at the moment im realy happy with the ride
And there are a lot of other things i would like to do first :) all before jambo
but i can't see it :lol:

I dont like the idea of a mod that takes the pressure off the front wheels to have them raise up and away from the obsticle you are dring to drive over

sure it makes the ride nicer but so do wider springs with the right rate and shocks and at the end of the day it is a Jeep not a limo just my 0.1c on the idea

sure for some people a SR is a great mod just not high on my list

Wooders
24-05-2004, 03:54 PM
True Dave, The axle is moving "away" from the obsticle (remember I haven't looked much at these Leaf things ;)) .... and yeah it's a jeep - but it's not just comfort....It's like a discussion I has regarding long arms (for TJ's) with someone else - it's not just the ride - but also if the suspension is owrking beeter on road then it is also "safer".

I know the SR gives a small lift - so that's an offroad plus....But I haven't given much thought to how the spring might load/unload when climbing - any benefit there?
As I said that sorta thing isn't on my horizon right now - but I thought the SR was a popular mod.....

ACJ
24-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Im sure ive heard you are limited to the tyre size that can be run as well
due to the wheel traverling back
But im not sure how true that is :?
As for it being a popular mod im sure it is but im not sure if its one of those
mods people do becuse its good or they have just been told its the way to go
But since ive never been in a jeep with the shackles reversed I can't and won't comment how good they are :wink:

overlander
07-07-2004, 09:40 AM
hmmm, still thinking of a 3 or 4" lift.. if I order a 4" spring lift kit, what else needs to be modified - steering/shaft/shocks? dunno... I should be able to fit 33's without a bodylift on the Cj8? thanks, guys...

AussieCJ7
07-07-2004, 10:13 AM
drive shafts ? with the longer wheel base you may get away without try it and see if you get vibes and have enough travel in the drive shaft so it doesnt drop out

shock are a definate yes ( at least if you want to use the full benifit of the lift )

Brake lines need to be done the RE4.5 kit comes with these

Steering you will have to wait and see most fo the yanks use the drop pitman arm but I havent seen anyone in Australia use them or need them.

You will need to sort out pinon angles and castor via wedges some kits have these included.

Extend the sway bar links (disconnects can be done at the same time)

You Should ( need) get an engineers certificate.

wheels and tyres to match.

Or given you have a rough body on the CJ8 already you could get creative with a saw and grinders and create enough room for 33's with a no lift or cut a little less and have a small lift

Just remember when looking at lift kits all are not created equal and given feedback from the US guys there is only a couple of kits that work well

The last thing you want to do is make the ride even stiffer, lift springs have a higher arch and need to resist sagging which makes them stiffer by nature so the kit need to be well designed to counter that

Check out.

Rubicon Express
OME (is only 2.5" but have seen a CJ7 with this lift and TJ flares clear 35's)
BDS (dont know of anyone who has these in AUS)
Some like the skyjacker softrider but some dont so mixed reports on this one

The RE kit comes with a lot more parts so factor in what parts you get when comparing price as some that seem expensive when you look at the price work out to be a simliar price to the cheaper kits by the time you buy all the extra's needed to make a cheap kit work well

overlander
08-07-2004, 09:16 AM
hey, what'ya think of this kit?
http://www.mad4wd.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jomreog8
fits danas but what about the amc20....
freight costs would be less... :)
what else needs to be modded for a SOA?

AussieCJ7
08-07-2004, 01:31 PM
freight costs would be less... :)

I would be extremly surprised if an Austrlian engineer would pass it.

I wouldnt put it on my Jeep.

SOA is good but needs to be fully engineered as it is not just a simple matter of welding the spring perches to the top of the axles, it is far more complex.

Unless you or the preson building it for you fully understands steering geometry, anti squat/dive and axle wrap and how these fit into building your SOA your in for trouble

Lots of people will claim that SOA are cheaper than most lift kits but most people who I have spoken to with a SOA that work well say that it costs a lot more as there is so many of things that have to be done just right and that takes a lot of time and money to do.

Sure if you can do it all yourself and have a good understanding of supension design then you maybe able to get it for a similar price to another lift but there is not many around who fit this description.

IMHO unless you will be going 36" or bigger tyres it is not worth the hassel when there is so many other options.

Engineering certification will be harder (not impossible but) to get than a SUA lift kit

It is a myth that SOA will flex better than SUA the difference seen is due to other factors like spring rate and arch and the imprvements made to the suppension when you do the SOA conversion If you had the exact same suspension in sua or soa the amount of flex availble would be the same

It is just easier to use lower arch springs and spring rates with SOA but still clear same tyres this is how people try to say SOA flexes better.

Some reading for you

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=503059&highlight=full+traction

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=731010&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

AussieCJ7
08-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Oh yeah BTW ACJ your CJ looks great now can not wait to see it out in the bush

Given my rough arm extened tape measure I think it would still clear my garage door ???

overlander
08-07-2004, 02:33 PM
okay, lets put this option to bed then..

Given my rough arm extened tape measure I think it would still clear my garage door ???

could that mean you gonna get one too? Perhaps we could save $$$ by ordering 2 kits...

AussieCJ7
08-07-2004, 04:21 PM
nope it wont be for a long time for me

ACJ
11-07-2004, 01:58 PM
freight costs would be less...
thanks

I surpose its an option but you would need to do a lot of work to get it right
And you would get a lot of lift out of it
But as I said to you at the meeting
you need to decide how YOU want your jeep
Ask your self these few questions
What sort off driving am I going to do :?:
What will it need for the above answer :?:
How much do you want/can spend :?:

you need to build the jeep the way you want it
we can give you our opinions but you need to
to set it up how you want it remember every
one has there own ideas of the perfect jeep

hope this helps :D

ACJ
11-07-2004, 02:35 PM
could that mean you gonna get one too? Perhaps we could save $$$ by ordering 2 kits...

There was a 4" rubicon kit 4sale a while ago
not sure if it was ever sold
and I don't now how to add the link
Do a search for
topic: cj7/8 rubicon express lift kit
Authour: anthonyc

overlander
15-07-2004, 09:21 AM
thanks alan, i ended up buying the kit!

AussieCJ7
15-07-2004, 09:27 AM
Great news Martin

Let us know if you want a hand putting it in

overlander
15-07-2004, 10:01 AM

eh, well, yes, i wouldnt say no if you're offering a hand or two, Dave :D .. thanks btw for your time yesterday...

need to get new shackles now-any pointers? Will the swaybar links be too short now? ie-do i need discos right away? :?

AussieCJ7
15-07-2004, 11:07 AM
New Shackles ???

Just to confirm you have 2" wide front and 2.5" wide rear springs (stock widths )

Check out the rubicon ones as you can order them through suburban but they only have 1" longer ones than stock
:cry:

I like the M.O.R.E ones (straight not boomarang)

It is next to impossible to buy heavy duty shackles these days that dont have some lift in them as they just use YJ ones and make them different widths for CJ's YJ ones are longer than CJ shackles Just try and keep them as short as possible

I would look for ones with a centre bolt and tube not the welded center brace ones like mine

Lots of info can be found here

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=737769&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

ACJ
15-07-2004, 12:34 PM
thanks alan, i ended up buying the kit!

Which kit :?: :?: the olde style 4'rubicon :?:

ACJ
15-07-2004, 12:47 PM

X 2 im avalible to swing a wrench
But only on an older jeep if it has a chrysler logo FORGET IT :lol:

overlander
15-07-2004, 02:18 PM
thanks guys, wooders has offered too!

fyi, yes the used kit of a CJ8, it has the narrow CJ front springs, shocks, 2x wedges for pinion, u bolts and nuts, extended brake hoses, pitman arm, no bushes at the shackle end of springs.

i was thinking of 1in longer shackles to get to 4.5in lift all up just to make sure i can clear the 33s at full articulation, and also in case i feel the need for 35s later on :lol:

If I cant find used 33s i was thinking of 33x10.5 so i can keep my 7' rims. any theories on 7 vs 8 vs 10in width?

Alan did you say you had the tyres hit the springs at full lock? was that with 7s?

Can i keep the stock sway bar on road or do i need the discos right away?

AussieCJ7
15-07-2004, 02:34 PM
Alan did you say you had the tyres hit the springs at full lock? was that with 7s?

ACJ has a narrow track HAHAHAHA :roll:

Brad you and I all have wide tracs :):)

Sorry Allan just gota rub it in a bit but in all serriousness that will make a difference on rubbing issues

Wooders
15-07-2004, 07:00 PM
Raedy & willing to help....
Air tools?

overlander
15-07-2004, 08:15 PM
Air tools?

nope... nor do i have a garage, just a carport... unless i'll take all the gear to somebody else's place...

ACJ
15-07-2004, 09:00 PM
ACJ has a narrow track HAHAHAHA

Brad you and I all have wide tracs

Sorry Allan just gota rub it in a bit but in all serriousness that will make a difference on rubbing issues

"They did on my 78 quad but never tried them on this current jeep but i assume they would rub
wide track ain't much wider with standed rims :P

ACJ
16-07-2004, 07:33 AM
Air tools?

Thats the lazy way
its ok for undoing everything but I wouldn't use them for doing anything up :|

Overlander the longest part of the job is the brake lines and the pitman arm
and only if the don't want to come apart

Wooders
16-07-2004, 08:51 AM
Oi what's wrong with being lazy :lol:
Not only does the rattle gun make undoing things faster and easier - in some cases it simply makes it possible ;)
I do often use the rattle gun for nipping things up - but I nearly always then use the torque wrench to properly tighten things down.....oh yeah just about everything gets locktight too.....
But the biggest tip I give ANYONE doing bolts that haven't moved in years - soak the danged things in crc or WD40 for about a week before the job is actually planned....

ACJ
16-07-2004, 02:27 PM
Not only does the rattle gun make undoing things faster and easier - in some cases it simply makes it possible

Ive never had to use a rattle gun to undo anything that I couldn't move with a breaker bar and a pipe :)

Wooders
16-07-2004, 04:22 PM
I have - The wheel studs on my wagon hadn't been moved for 30-40 year when I got it.....I broke one socket, bent a socket bar and rounded 2 nuts......a few minutes on the end of the rattle gun & the nuts that were's destroyed were off :mrgreen:

ian
17-07-2004, 09:52 PM
Sorry...... I would use a rattle gun to do my pants up if I could :?
But I would always tension it with a breaker bar or ratchet!! :D

ACJ
18-07-2004, 02:35 PM
Each to there own I think we will have to agree to disagree :D

Wooders
18-07-2004, 04:45 PM
Fair nuff.....any specific reaon you're not a fan? Just curious **)

ACJ
19-07-2004, 03:37 PM
Fair nuff.....any specific reaon you're not a fan? Just curious

just don't like how they damage threads evern with grease
and Im so used to doing things at work by hand its just carried
through at home :)

Wooders
19-07-2004, 07:52 PM
Fair point - especially if the threads are dirty or already worn....But it's still so convenient :wink:

overlander
25-07-2004, 02:04 PM
..change of plan..

ACJ
25-07-2004, 05:55 PM
35's will hit in the front guards and a body lift won't fix that

ACJ
26-07-2004, 02:35 PM
Quick update I fitted my 4 degree caster wedges and two mx5 procomp shocks
to the front and it lost its sway can't wait to get two more for the rear :D

AussieCJ7
26-07-2004, 02:45 PM
great news

Shocks are always under estimated until you had an exprience like yours of seeing before and after effects