PDA

View Full Version : Dubbo Flats/Broken Cart trip (ACT) Sun 25th July(CANCELLED)

Buddha
12-07-2004, 02:36 PM
Ok guys, going to do a trip to Dubbo Flats and Broken Cart trail on the 25 of this month.
Have been waiting for snow but if it isnt covered by snow then will be lots of ruts ,very muddy and slippey.
Id say probably a C+ grade drive that can become B depending on the wet.
Dubbo Flats is like a large open area that tends to have alot of bogholes to leave you stuck.
Want to meet up by about 9am, should be on the main trail by 10am.
The drive there should only take about 1.5 hours at most, lunch there and back along the same track towards Canberra, where a few more challenging tracks can be attempted.
Want to be back in Canberra by about 4pm.
----------------------------------
You must have decent tyres.
---------------------------------
Dubbo Flats is about 1/2 way between Canberra and Tumut.

Antz
12-07-2004, 04:52 PM
Hmmm, I'm tempted to make the drive down. Anyone else from Sydney interested? Did Broken Cart trail a while ago and it was great, would be good if there was some snow.

Edit: Isn't Broken Cart trail closed over winter?

Buddha
12-07-2004, 06:13 PM
Antz, it was closed last winter because of the bushfires, (snow on dead trees) was apparently a risk.

Speak to Wiz and Maddog, there in.

sir_camel
12-07-2004, 08:12 PM
I would love to but can't afford that sorta fuel after getting my lockers done. Oh well....next winter.

omaroo
12-07-2004, 08:31 PM
Buddha - was the timber mountain ash?

I've heard that this type of wood is very brittle after being burnt - especially in sub-zero temperatures. I know a local down near us in Cooma that witnessed what they call a "widow-maker" event - one of these branches parted company with the trunk and landed a few feet in front of them on a trail. It penetrated the sandstone to a depth of four or five inches.

Deadly :shock:

Buddha
12-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Chrispy, its all safe now.
Most of the trees that were burnt were eucalypts and gum, which have all regenerated now.

wiz
13-07-2004, 12:25 AM
so far i'm in :mrgreen: ......
Clean up / damage report pending :lol:
even though i think i've seen more mud than i like at the Watagans :evil:

sir_camel
13-07-2004, 12:26 AM
if u dont clean it wiz u wont see the damage. hehe

maddog
13-07-2004, 12:53 PM
I'm in. Should have the Jeep nice and sparkly just in time to get it filthy again! :mrgreen:

PS: is this the day after the SJC monthly Menai night run? :idea:

Buddha
16-07-2004, 11:40 AM
Im heaps sorry guys but i gotta can the trip.

Family stuff that i have to do.
I know how much you were looking forward to hitting the mud again, but if i dont get up thre for a trip soon, we will catch up at Cals.

wiz
16-07-2004, 01:22 PM
no probs Marc....
guess we'll be catching up at the Berridale w/end for a lot more rock and a heap less mud :mrgreen: