PDA

View Full Version : AutoDarkening Helmets

Wooders
07-12-2004, 04:08 PM
Just looking to upgrade my welding mask......thinking one of those fancy Auto darkening unit - preferably with some silly face mask like a clown etc......

But my questions are:
Any recommended outlets?
Anything to watch out for?
Any features that are good to have? (Dont' the homer welding masks come with Beer holders :idea: )
etc....

LEXX
07-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Well I've got a Hobart Hood, which is great. It's solar powered so the welding flash recharges it as well. I'm pretty sure most of the "face painted" helments are a Hobart Hood or various ranges.

I had one of the "cheaper" versions and I found that the darkening was too much even on the lowest settings, couldn't see the work properly. Make sure you get one that you can easily replace the perspex lense covering, becuase you will fine they get dirty pretty quick, especially if your using gal pipe or welding upside down ;)

Also look for a nice big lense, other wise you may feel a bit like Ned kelly.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldit/safety/
http://hoodlum-welding.com/hoods.htm

Wooders
07-12-2004, 04:43 PM
Is there a measure for how dark they go??
Hobart was one brand I was looking at...

LEXX
07-12-2004, 04:47 PM
Yer there is a grade the higher the number the darker it goes. The hobart is good as it is between 9-10, so it good for the MIG and also suited for TIG. Maybe a bit light on for ARC though, you may need to look at 11-12 for ARC.

Speedglas is also another good brand to look at but don't come in funny faces etc, these are for serious welders ;) http://www.hornell.com/

Wooders
07-12-2004, 04:52 PM
Is there one helmet (or replacement lenses) that could allow for use with Mig & Arc...heck even Oxy ;)....sadly no TiG in the garage yet :cry:

LEXX
07-12-2004, 04:56 PM
Look at a hobart with an adjustable darkening m8, these go from 9-13 ( I think)

H.G
07-12-2004, 05:41 PM
COOL IDEA LEXX a NED KELLY MASK..

murray
07-12-2004, 07:41 PM
not one lens to do all
oxy weld shade 5 gp stick shade 11-12
mig one shade darker this up to operator
i prefer omni view lens these are gold coated and let you see the natural colours of the weld area instead of everything being green

paz
18-12-2004, 11:02 PM
well,,,bein a welder myself i dont like em,,,specially with other people welding around(in a shop),,always flicking on and off,,,not to bad when by yourself and tacking up or something....
as far as darkness,,,,was told by my old tech teacher years ago to go as dark as i can with the lense(welding or whatever) and still be able to see enough....told us that as years go by welding,,your eyes will slowly decline in ability and in the end you will need a lighter lense so as you can still see what your doing...welding is bad poo,,,,you need to protect yourself as much as possible....
paz

Gordo
20-12-2004, 08:32 AM
For the odd-job DIYer you can get a solar lense-only for $100 then fit it to a $13 non-auto helmutt.

I got all in one el-cheapo batt-powered LED one for $130 but they're on special for $100 at a few welding shops in ACT at the mo.

Ask Buddha about how good a tan you get with brazing goggles when used for welding :mrgreen:

Gildo
21-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Where do I find these $100 lenses Gordo?

Gordo
21-12-2004, 06:10 PM
Gasweld, in Fyshwick ACT - very cool shop.

I made quite a mess when I went there for the first time.

shop asst " Are you guys right ?"
me "Shit yeah mate ! We're just checking out all your cool stuff !" :mrgreen:
shop asst : lol

They got a bus jack and walls of dewalt gear. Welders for rc cars right up to the bizmark and compressors for pumping up your hindenburg (or nike airs).

94limitedxj
21-12-2004, 06:22 PM
I have a snap on that works well. Bit on the expensive side though. But does a great job.

TJPete
28-12-2004, 10:46 AM
The Aussie Predator brand I have found to be the best . Also allows you to easily swap in over-size conventional lenses when required.

Sold my Speedglass, the windows on the side were a pain when someone else was welding next to me and the controls on the inside were inconvenient.

Also have a Optrel with respirator for when we do alley or work inside confined spaces.

my45
27-01-2005, 11:24 PM
For the odd-job DIYer you can get a solar lense-only for $100 then fit it to a $13 non-auto helmutt.

I got all in one el-cheapo batt-powered LED one for $130 but they're on special for $100 at a few welding shops in ACT at the mo.

Ask Buddha about how good a tan you get with brazing goggles when used for welding :mrgreen:

Dont go the real cheapo's as they dont react and darken quick enough and let the rays through or a split second and will hurt ur eye's :shock:

Moose
06-02-2005, 01:19 AM
I use a Miller and I would say its the best I've used. it's solar and it has flames on it so it must be good...lol

I have no problems with other welder like I did with my old Speedglass 'though I don't weld near anyone else much anymore.

One thing but, I only use gas, stick and mig on Tig so tig may be different but I'm told it will work.

My Speedglass was $180 12 months ago and my new Miller was $250.
And I tell ya, anyone that says auto is worth the money hasn't use a good helment.

all you need is one flash when you do a tack and you can stuff ya eyes by a % do it lets say ten time and you can go blind........... 8) so is $200 or $300 to Much :shock:

Tommo
21-04-2005, 11:50 AM
Looking for a welding place in melbourne - see about a cheapish autodarkening glass.

Gildo
21-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Just had a look@ one of my favourite tool sites they have a special inc freight $140ish Great prices on other gear too
have a look@ transquip.com.au
Go to powertools, then helments.

No connection to me and I havent delt direct with them.
Found it a handy place to compare prices when the catalogues come in the mail.