PDA

View Full Version : BULL BAR FOR THE KJ

pzver
18-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Hi Guy's,

Just wondering if someone could help me with a question. I'm planning to get a bull bar put on my KJ. Just wondering if anybody has any thoughts on the one that ARB have got? Looks good in magazines that I have seen. Also wondering is anybody has gotten one with the winch. If yes do you need a dual battery set up for this or can it run from the main battery. Are their any warranty issues that come up during the fitting of a bull bar?
Any help would be great.

Jimmyb
18-02-2005, 06:11 PM
yeah arb bar looks really good, and no you dont need a dual battery but it is optimal. should not be any warranty issues, more if say a headlight failed and was attributed to the bullbar they may say no but only that type of thing.

i spotted a US website the other day that had some wild looking KJ bars on it, cant remember for the life of me who they were though. i guess for ease of fittment go local as i know the bullbar onto a kj is a bastard of a job.

salesguy
18-02-2005, 07:11 PM
ARB advise that their bar does not fit the MY05 KJ. I'm not really sure why, because we have not been advised of any structural changes to the vehicle. I've got one on my 04 ( no winch ) and i really like the look and the fact that it gives me somewhere to put extra lights ( can't have too many ) and CB and GPS antennas.

The ARB paint job on mine is crap though. Make sure you check it out thoroughly before they fit it if you decide to get one.

By the way, where you from dood?

Hic
18-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Blinker Locations, Different grill profile etc will not fit the face lifted KJ, the bull bar fit on a KJ is a one way journey. There also is a lot in the fit on a KJ as SalesGUY says is can also be stuffed easley with a poor install / finish etc. :wink:

froop
18-02-2005, 09:47 PM
As the others have said, I think the ARB bar is the go. I have one, and certainly think it looks a bucket load better than the stock front bumper. It's made to take a winch, and you can run one on a single battery. And unless you have the CRD, you won't get a second battery under the bonnet.

If you have, or a thinking of getting, larger tyres and/or a lift, the ARB bar give much better clearance because the front of the wheel arch is chopped. It also has recovery points and a hi-lift jack points.

pzver
19-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the feed back guy's. This was jut what I wanted to know.
Jimmyb Im in Perth.
When I spoke to all the ARB shops here they didn't mention anything about the 05 model being a problem to fit. That may have been because I only spoke to them on the phone. I'll go down next week with the car and get them to have a look. Have a good one guys.

GMEMUD
20-02-2005, 02:54 PM
yeah arb bar looks really good, and no you dont need a dual battery but it is optimal. should not be any warranty issues, more if say a headlight failed and was attributed to the bullbar they may say no but only that type of thing.

i spotted a US website the other day that had some wild looking KJ bars on it, cant remember for the life of me who they were though. i guess for ease of fittment go local as i know the bullbar onto a kj is a bastard of a job.
I think the US site is L.O.S.T. (liberty owners support team) at www.KJJEEP.com
That is a real smart looking bar as well as the rear one. No contact info though. I think it is a better looking bar than ARB. check out the recovery lugs on the front. Indecators look cool.

Dorzun
21-02-2005, 12:54 PM

I think the US site is L.O.S.T. (liberty owners support team) at www.KJJEEP.com
That is a real smart looking bar as well as the rear one. No contact info though. I think it is a better looking bar than ARB. check out the recovery lugs on the front. Indecators look cool.

Yeh, but you'd never be roadworthy as it wouldn't pass ADR's.

BahBah
22-02-2005, 04:04 PM
Yep, I have the ARB bar too with the 8000 lb Warn winch. Works well. The paint job on mine is good. Makes it look even meaner. Yes, it is a one way fit as they cut the front section of the front wheel flairs off. To go backwards you would have to buy new ones and have them painted.
I have the CRD but I still don't know where you would fit a second battery under the bonnet. Maybe Froop knows something I don't. Oh yes, I was told by ARB that it does NOT have high lift jack points. I had a look too and couldn't find a non-damaging way to use it with a jack so I got rid of the jack.
I can see why it wouldn't fit the new model (MY05) as the front end has been restyled. Not sure if it matters to you but the regular and Renegade models are different to each other in the front also.

froop
22-02-2005, 10:10 PM
I have the CRD but I still don't know where you would fit a second battery under the bonnet. Maybe Froop knows something I don't.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8041

The install will probably cost in the vicinity of $800 - $900 including parts and battery. Because I was the first KJ to get fitted, I got the tray and labour free. Just paid for the isolator and battery.

Oh yes, I was told by ARB that it does NOT have high lift jack points. I had a look too and couldn't find a non-damaging way to use it with a jack so I got rid of the jack.

What about the ~2" wide slots type things just underneat the front - one in the middle, one on the left, one on the right?

KoJak
26-02-2005, 08:58 AM
Guys,
Found out that ARB should have a front bar for 05 Kj's in about a month (well, one that would fit a Renegade!). The 04 bar will fit eventually but with a hell of a lot of work and booty fab. I decided to wait until the 05 is released.

KoJak