PDA

View Full Version : XJ Crossmember

Steve F
17-01-2006, 08:25 AM
Anyone modified a stock XJ crossmember to add a little more beef to it? Mine is looking a bit worse for wear and I now have a second in much the same condition but it gives me something to experiment on. Rather than geting a whole new crossmember ($$$) I was thinking of plateing the existing one and maybe ramping the front of it to help with sliding over stuff.

I'm happy enough to lose 1/4" of clearance if it means it'll hold up better. I'd love to make a new one and have seen some neat designs but my skills are not up to that :(

Cheers
Steve

Jimmyb
17-01-2006, 08:36 AM
get onto "nosoextremejas" on here, his mate brad that does awesome welding did a crossmember replacement for a XJ and saw the work on it and was absolutely schweet!!

Wooders
17-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Steve,
If you want some ideas come & have a squizzy at the latest XJ skid we have ;)

Steve F
17-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Might take you up on that later in the week :)

Cheers
Steve

Steve F
18-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Do you think something like this would work on a daily driver. I like the way it tucks right up and gives an almost flat belly. It uses half a shackle and a leaf spring bushing for the isolation.

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/standard?pictid={457BB24F-5DE9-4A40-92E8-B99548ECF379}

Cheers
Steve

Dave XJ
25-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Whow, love that cross member. Was that done in OZ

Steve F
30-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Whow, love that cross member. Was that done in OZ

Nup got it from a US site.

Here's my first design, although I'm thinking of dropping the centre section where the mount goes and lifting the rest up, so basically have the mounting plates that are on the top at the end about 1/2" lower. In saying that though this gives more clearance than the stock one and is 1/4 thick steel so should be plenty strong enough. Also the t-case bashplate (yet to be designed :) )will be the lowest point regardless.

The other requirement is it had to be simple for me to make :) I'm just sick of the stock one bending.

http://www.4wdlinks.com.au/albums/album576/Cmember1.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Wooders
30-01-2006, 08:58 PM
Mate I'd go 3/8" instead of 1/4" - that bit of extra beef is protecting some pretty important stuff ;)

AussieCJ7
30-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Remember there is a certain amount of torque effect on those mounts and given that it will be against those bolts I would like to see one after hard use for a year or two ??

Also rocks would eat those bolts for breakfast making it very hard to remove them latter

Good idea but maybe you can make a few improvements ?

Using a stock mount helps when you have to go get spare parts try intergrating the stock mount into your new cross memeber ??