FireBug update... [Archive] - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

PDA

View Full Version : FireBug update...

FireTruck
07-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Quick update on the new Team FireTruck buggy... the FireBug!

Single seater, front engine... based on the ABT4x4 chassis.
Chassis work has started.
Low km 255kW GenIII 5.7L LS1 is sorted - delivered this week.
Upgraded Atlas parts on the way, along with airshocks, cutting brakes, etc.
Got a crew helping me out with a beefed up 2 speed powerglide.

Hope to have her running by Easter for the 1st round of WE Rock... will be tight, but we'll push to get there!

S.

polly
07-03-2006, 02:05 PM
well wheres the bloody pics mate???

FireTruck
07-03-2006, 02:24 PM
No pics yet... Pip's place is a coupla hours from here so can't just pop in with the camera. Hopefully later in the week I can get some progress pics up.

S.

DIY
07-03-2006, 03:49 PM
sounds unreal. are u going to dry sump the gen 3??

FireTruck
07-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Not intending to at this stage... keeping it relatively simple, and trying (ha!) to stick to my budget.

S.

goodie
07-03-2006, 07:40 PM
is pip the bloke the the 40 series buggy thats red?

fish
07-03-2006, 10:30 PM
hmmm sounds good can't wait to see it all evolve

Butt Craic
08-03-2006, 07:19 AM
is pip the bloke the the 40 series buggy thats red?

Not sure whether he built that buggy or not but I am pretty sure he is the one that built the 2 ABT buggies that the yanks competed in at the last WE Rock round. I think he is based down at Taralgon (or at least some where down in East Gippsland towards Sale).

FireTruck
08-03-2006, 08:49 AM
Yep, he built (and ownes) that sweet red/orange 40... it's a wicked truck (think it's in TTC this year).

He also built the ABT buggy (he is now 'ABT4x4 Fabrication') that Jody Evering and CTM Jack used at the WERock finals. That was the only buggy they built for the guys from the US.

Pip now drives that buggy in comps (you will have seen it in all the OZ Rock coverage).

And yes, his workshop is in Taralgan.

S.

maddog
08-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Whats your rough budget if you dont mind me asking?

FireTruck
08-03-2006, 10:23 AM
As you know I try to go for quality and strength... so I use the best components I can afford.

I am of course re-using some (expensive!) stuff like the axels, steering, Atlas etc... and the wheels and tires to start. If I went new on this stuff it would more than double the required budget.

New stuff includes the chassis with firewalls, floor, roof, panels, motor mounts, suspension brackets, etc. New engine, tranny, airsocks, antirock, seat, harnesses, fuel cell, suspension links and joints, brakes and pedels, cutting brakes, and a bunch of miscellaneous bits.

Budget around $25k... been saving for a while as you can imagine, and selling the FireTruck needs to take care of a big chunk of this.

Building it so that in the future (when I can afford/justify it) I can add rear steer and a few other trick bits... budget doesn't stretch that far though this time around.

S.

FireTruck
08-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Oh, and I should say that I have sponsors that help me out in keeping the costs down... otherwise you could add about $10k to the budget I guess.

S.

maddog
08-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Big dollars

FireTruck
08-03-2006, 11:32 AM
...not when I consider what I have put into my Jeep over the years... sheesh...

And it's much cheaper to keep it running too... easier to tow... no rego to pay... less stuff to go wrong... no expensive panels to keep fixing... when I did the math, building the buggy saves me a shite load and gains a whole lot of performance for the stuff I want to do.

S.

maddog
08-03-2006, 11:34 AM
True. It's definately cheaper to build a buggy than it is to build up a registered truck, no doubt about that.

I'd like to keep the Jee-Q and eventually build a tube frame buggy myself. I still like to social wheel and do the comps that need rego.

wendle
08-03-2006, 11:47 AM
...not when I consider what I have put into my Jeep over the years... sheesh...

And it's much cheaper to keep it running too... easier to tow... no rego to pay... less stuff to go wrong... no expensive panels to keep fixing... when I did the math, building the buggy saves me a shite load and gains a whole lot of performance for the stuff I want to do.

S.

you'll never, ever, ever, ever, ever look back.

ever.

:D

FireTruck
08-03-2006, 12:54 PM
You mean, ever??

goodie
08-03-2006, 01:16 PM
yeah, thought it came from up this way, saw it on a tralior when i was in taralgon a while back, clean looking machine.

wendle
08-03-2006, 01:40 PM
You mean, ever??

yep. never ever.

once you build them, they basically cost nothing to maintain. especially with the strength of the components you have at hand.

there is little to no compromise in how you build them, you get something lower, lighter, stronger, and much, much, more durable built exactly how you want (or maybe ever so slightly adjusted to suit comp rules in your case)

instead of a bad roll being something you worry about, if it doesn't happen at least once every weekend, you start to worry that you're not pushing yourself hard enough ROFL..

you really can just wheel the absolute piss out of a buggy, and at the end of the day it is still waiting for more :D

FireTruck
08-03-2006, 01:59 PM
I'm sold...

Jeff
08-03-2006, 08:00 PM
It kind of depends on the wheeling that you do. If you're a fan of social or quick trips, trailering a buggy can be a pain in the arse.

billsta
08-03-2006, 08:38 PM
try keep repairing a WJ :shock: a cheaper wheeler is def in the back pocket..
but a full comp rig is a very hefty investment to sit in the garage...

the best way is to build a rig that you dont go off road in at all :mrgreen:

FireTruck
08-03-2006, 09:40 PM
My Jeep sits in the garage all year as it is... gets out a few times a year. Don't do any social wheeling as its just too risky.

There are 10 rockcrawling events between now and the end of the year... That means I can get out and compete every month, along with other testing etc.

Don't get me wrong - I like getting out in the bush. Once the buggy is under control the next thing on my list is a mild TJ that I can take camping etc.

S.

billsta
08-03-2006, 09:48 PM
yeah...
im sooo poor, i bought a set of re long arms, they are still in a box after a year... and i bought a pumpkin off a dude off this forum and it took me 2 years to pick it up and its still sitting around in the work shop after a year and a half .. :wink:

btw.. you dont have a spare 44 locker laying around do ya :wink:

FireTruck
09-03-2006, 08:24 AM
You've still got the 44 laying around??? Wow... hey, how would you like to buy a pair of D60's??

S.

DIY
10-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Not intending to at this stage... keeping it relatively simple, and trying (ha!) to stick to my budget.

S.
Haha yer no worries, I just thought it was a big $$ engine to go tipping on its head with no oil pressure every weekend, cos u no u will :)

FireTruck
14-03-2006, 08:18 AM
It's a wicked engine... I got it complete with upgraded computer, looms, accessories (alternator, starter, airflow meter, ducting, belt tensioner, etc etc), new VZ engine covers... basically a full running 255kW (350+ HP) engine for $5k.

It's not cheap, but I think that's a pretty decent deal, and it is nuts on with what I was looking for... it'll turn some heads, which makes it good for both the spectators and the sponsors.

S.

andy_n
14-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Has the engine spent any time in any other buggies???

FireTruck
14-03-2006, 10:17 AM
nope... it's done 33,000km in a VY SS ute that was rear-ended.

S.

andy_n
14-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Bugger, I thought it might have been one very very sweet L1 that had come from one of your sponsers. :%

DIY
14-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Thats tranny as well for 5K?? When u visit your buggy could u get a measurment from the face of the crank pulley to the rear out put flange of the atlas?

FireTruck
18-03-2006, 10:12 AM
yea, if only I could swing that... free LS1, that would make me a very happy camper...

AutoBoss are helping me out with the powerglide tranny - that keeps the cost down, and they build kick ass trannys (they build them for monster trucks, drag cars and speedway).

And my other sponsors have been great as always... Sean from ABT4x4 in particular, and Pip who is building the buggy.

I am selling all kinds of stuff that I have had laying around to fund this... from rock climbing gear to ski gear, etc. I never use this stuff anymore anyway, so it's all going into the buggy fund.

S.

FireTruck
18-03-2006, 10:13 AM
sorry - nope, the 5k is engine only... tranny adds a few$k

S.

FireTruck
18-03-2006, 10:15 AM
I do know of someone doing a GenIII transplant into their TJ... Andrew from VIC (can't remember his last name) with the green TJ that competes in winch comps...

DIY
31-03-2006, 12:29 PM
So whats the latest? must be close now?

FireTruck
03-04-2006, 08:43 AM
Bits are stripped from the FireTruck ready for transplant... picked up 16" airshocks on the weekend, along with cutting brakes and all my Atlas upgrades. Frame is progressing...

Few bits and pieces we are waiting on, but it's coming together. Hopefully ready for OZRock #2 on may 6th.

S.

Wooders
04-04-2006, 06:18 AM
I do know of someone doing a GenIII transplant into their TJ... Andrew from VIC (can't remember his last name) with the green TJ that competes in winch comps...

Andrew Dwyer ?

MC4X4
04-04-2006, 06:50 AM
Yes Andrew Dwyer is putting a Gen3 in his TJ and so is Rodney. At the end of last year I bought Alan Mcmullens TJ with the 5.3lt gen3 so there will be a few v8 tjs down south
cheers mc

FireTruck
05-04-2006, 12:54 PM
...frame is progressing...

I have the PRP suspension seat, harness, rear antirock, 16" airshocks, cutting brakes, aluminium radiator and thermo fan (from FireTruck), hydro steering (from FireTruck), Atlas (from FireTruck), driveshafts (from FireTruck), D60 diffs (from FireTruck), etc all ready to go.

All my Atlas upgrades have arrived (heavy duty front output, short rear output, heavy duty shifting forks, etc)... I just have to pull it down and install them all.

A few bits still to arrive, but most of it is now here and itching to get on the FireBug.

Unlikely to make WERock1, but should be at OZRock2... and everything thereafter.

Still no pics, sorry... have to drop stuff off to Pip this w/e so will try and snap a few off.

S.

goodie
05-04-2006, 01:11 PM
so what happened to the fire truck, did you take it apart?

FireTruck
05-04-2006, 01:58 PM
She's on blocks in my garage... quite q few bits have come off, but I have alot of replacement bits to go back on if that's what I decide to do.

I have a spare set of D60 axels that I was going to put back under her... I may have a buyer for these though. I have a radiator etc to go back in when Iget the chance... I have alot of stuff laying around!

Some bits came off as donors to help get Nick to Tuff Truck... they may come back, depending on what I decide to do with the FT.

Priority right now is get the buggy up and running, then deal with old mate in the shed...

S.

FireTruck
27-04-2006, 09:45 AM
A few progress pics are up here:
http://www.teamfiretruck.com/firebug.htm

Frame is being welded out (should be done by now), brackets are going on, fitout will start in the next few days. All the upgraded bits for my Atlas turned up and I have installed them all. Tranny is a couple of days from being finished, control arms also a day or two away.

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/firebug/firebug-1.JPG

maddog
27-04-2006, 10:39 AM
Looks good mate, I'm interested to see it go together.

FireTruck
27-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Bit more info - before you all start asking...

For the train spotters amongst you, there are quite a few changes (some more subtle than others) in the FireBug chassis compared to the ABT buggy chassis:
• Wheelbase a couple of inches shorter to help miss those all important cones, front and rear lower control arms are the same length (less spares required)
• Extra cross brace on the top of the roof and at rear of cab
• Radiator water runs through the 2 tubes in centre of floor (from front to back)
• Side bars around the engine are higher (close to the height of the top of the engine)
• Different lines on the side profile… if you look closely from the side the lines flow very nicely from the ‘doors’ all the way back through the rear of the chassis, and forward through to the shock hoops
• Slightly higher roof, and more leg room (I am a tad taller than Pip!)
• Front track bar mounting changed, rear also changed a bit

Weight of the chassis up to this point is around 105kg’s.

What’s going in the FireBug?? Some great new stuff, and some of the performance proven and reliable components from the FireTruck (with some tweaks and upgrades!):
• 260kW LS1, 5.7L aluminium V8
• Aluminium radiator and thermo fan from Gondwana racing
• 2 speed Powerglide auto transmission built by Autoboss
• Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case from the FireTruck, with a new heavy duty 32 spline front output, new shorty rear output, and new 27 spline input (new parts from ABT)
• Rockcrusher D60’s with alloy shafts and CTM unis, 4.88’s and Detroit lockers, disks and chevy callipers all round
• 40” stickies on alloy rims?? Details to come…
• PRP suspension racing seat (from ABT)
• Full hydraulic POS steering (from ABT)
• CNC cutting brakes and brake pedal assembly (from ABT)
• 16” Fox airshocks (from ABT)
• Currie Antirock off road swaybar in the rear (from ABT)
• Old faithful Brawn 9000lb low mount has been cut down around 100mm for the front (mid-mounted), and the Brawn 4000lb will go on the rear

Stay tuned over the coming weeks for more updates as we kick the tires and light the fires on the FireBug, and for information on where and when you can see us in action…

Gojeep
28-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Any reason behind the diagonal brace stopping in the centre of the roof from the floor behind where the sets will go rather than going across to the other corner?

maddog
28-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Any reason behind the diagonal brace stopping in the centre of the roof from the floor behind where the sets will go rather than going across to the other corner?

I do believe that might be a panhard rod mounting point

FireTruck
28-04-2006, 09:09 PM
...lots of bracing points end in the corner (just right of the driver) - that one ends closer to the centre of the rear main hoop to brace the centre (just left of the top of the drivers head), and to give better clearance to the seat/driver.

That way the most important thing in the buggy - my noggin - is well protected on both sides. Also why there is an extra brace in the roof above my head, and an extra one in the rear that ends in the corner.

Single seater by the way.

S.

Gojeep
29-04-2006, 06:11 PM
Best to protect your noggin the best way you can my friend. ;)

FireTruck
08-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Should get some more pics tonight - will try and get em posted asap...

Auto should be ready mid next week, so engine/tranny/t'case can go in as a unit for the 1st time... ordered new rear bulge sump etc today.

Control arms are ready and installed (7/8 military grade rod ends, 45mm solid CrMo lowers), front end panhard and shocks mounted. Tabs, gussets and brackets are still going on...

A few weeks away from serious testing...

Pics to come...

S.

FireTruck
09-05-2006, 11:57 AM
OK... some updated pics etc.

I should also say that Pip is operating as 'Just Customs'. He and Sean at ABT work closely, but Pip is still operating as Just Customs.

Pics include the control arms (45mmm solid round 4140 - machined with a taper and a flat spot for adjustment), laser cut brackets for control arms, shock mounts, panhard mounts, etc.

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/firebug/08-05-2006/original/firebugupdate%20(7).jpg

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/firebug/08-05-2006/original/firebugupdate%20(8).jpg

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/firebug/08-05-2006/original/firebugupdate%20(9).jpg

FireTruck
09-05-2006, 11:57 AM
more...

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/firebug/08-05-2006/original/firebugupdate%20(11).jpg

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/firebug/08-05-2006/original/firebugupdate%20(13).jpg

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/firebug/08-05-2006/original/firebugupdate%20(6).jpg

maddog
09-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Looks like some quality work going into it. Can't wait to see it closer to completed 8)

Do you have all the parts you need already, or do you still have some on the shopping list?

Have you decided on colours for the barwork and panels?

FireTruck
09-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Red... and red! Panels will be clear Lexan, but trying to source some perforated red flame stickers for the INSIDE of the panels... that way I can see out, but from the sidelines it will look like solid colours to the spectators and cameras!

I have pretty much all the parts I need... have been accumulating them for the past 6 months or so.

S.

goodie
09-05-2006, 07:38 PM
shane
what kind of work do Just Customs do (besides building your buggy)? do they have a website??

FireTruck
09-05-2006, 09:07 PM
Just customs build buggy frames (sold through ABT), and a bunch of other custom stuff (funnily enough). Bar work etc. And build custom 4x4's like Pip's bgi orange 40... was in TTC'06.

No website that I know of...

PM me if you want ABT's phone number.

S.

FireTruck
19-05-2006, 04:09 PM
...should have some updated pics for the thread tonight I hope... flex shots, some with the driveline in, etc.

Also, Pip's 40 did get a yellow canary... after the wedding was done they got pinged, so no bride in the car luckily! The only reason he got done was because he had the 44" comp tires on instead of the 40" road tires... it's back on the road anyway.

S.

FireTruck
22-05-2006, 02:53 PM
...updated pics from last week...

She's a rolling chassis! No pics, but LS1/glide/Atlas are in for initial fitting (using the glide case without guts just to get the placement etc). Glide should be finished in around a week or so.

Suspension links sorted, track bars, seat posi, radiator mounted, etc. Some of the pics below are dropped on its guts (shocks fully compressed), others with shocks at full stretch. Flex's good without binding or clearance issues to the full range of the 16" Fox Shocks (pic below with Pip's ugly bean...).

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/firebug/2006_may/2006_may%20(1).jpg

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/firebug/2006_may/2006_may%20(2).jpg

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/firebug/2006_may/2006_may%20(3).jpg

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/firebug/2006_may/2006_may%20(4).jpg

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/firebug/2006_may/2006_may%20(5).jpg

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/firebug/2006_may/2006_may%20(9).jpg

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/firebug/2006_may/2006_may%20(11).jpg

MR EXTREME JEEP
22-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Seriously. From someone who knows nothing about buggies that is a work of art. Well done. Love the flex shot.:smile:

AJ
22-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Looking good shane, keep the pics coming!!

Gojeep
22-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Wow, some series flex there. :)
How did you determine the height of the roll centre which is set halfway along the trackbars? I have never seen the frame mount lower than the axle mount before and wondered what the theory behind doing it this way is?

maddog
22-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Have you worked out how you're going to mount your harnesses with a suspension seat? The lap ones aren't a problem, but what about the shoulder ones? How do you allow for the movement?

FireTruck
22-05-2006, 05:48 PM
Yea - the track bar geometry was Pip's idea... the roll centre is still quite (very!) high. That's just the way Pip recommended to set it up from experience with his buggy...

Shoulder harnesses... not sure exactly what your question is MD? How do you allow for what movement? My seat has hole in it for a 5 point harness - holes for the lap, crotch, and shoulders.

S.

maddog
22-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Shoulder harnesses... not sure exactly what your question is MD? How do you allow for what movement? My seat has hole in it for a 5 point harness - holes for the lap, crotch, and shoulders.

S.

You're running a suspension seat aren't you? How do you mount the shoulder harnesses so that they allow the seat to travel up and not have the harness tighten and loosen on you.

The only way I can think to do it is to run a frame/bar around the back of the seat mounting (the top part that moves) so that the mounting points of the harnesses move along with the seat, but I don't know how you'd go with the competition regulations on that.

Am I explaining myself right?

FireTruck
22-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Don't stress mate - the mounting points HAVE to be solid, and HAVE to be connected to the frame. A suspension seat doesn't move THAT much... you won't even notice it.

S.

FireTruck
22-05-2006, 08:30 PM
by the way, the 'suspension' bit is not just that the rear bit of the seat moves or flexes... it's the cushioning on the bottom, in the back of the seat, etc. the carcass of the seat doesn't move all that much - it's the stuff suspended inside it that you are sitting on/against that moves.

S.

maddog
23-05-2006, 08:46 AM
Ahh ok, see when everyone was talking about suspension seats, I was picturing something like a truck seat which moves up and down significantly! Makes more sense now.

FireTruck
07-06-2006, 08:06 PM
...pix from monday night...

Engine and tranny mounts done. Brackets for alternator, power steering pump and reservior done. Panels are cut to size, as is roof. Picked up another passenger side exhaust manifold so we can run the exhaust forward and around on the drivers side (no room to run backwards).

Will try to get some more pics and details up later in the week.

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/video/IMG_1139small.JPG

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/video/IMG_1146small.JPG

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/video/IMG_1162small.JPG

FireTruck
07-06-2006, 08:22 PM
...few more pics...

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/video/IMG_1163small.JPG

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/video/IMG_1160small.JPG

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/video/IMG_1127small.JPG

TJ
07-06-2006, 08:27 PM
wow that looks mad!
you guys work quick!!
nice effort

Jeff
08-06-2006, 07:50 AM
Man that is a tight wheelbase.

Lookin good.

FireTruck
08-06-2006, 07:55 AM
wheelbase is right around 102"... so 10" longer than a lifted TJ, and similar (tad longer) than an XJ.

S.

Jeff
08-06-2006, 07:57 AM
Must be those monster truck tyres you have on, confuses me a little.

FireTruck
08-06-2006, 08:24 AM
Don't knock the tires man! Those things are my secret weapon...

It's around the same wheelbase as the FireTruck was/is... but about 700kgs lighter, 100kW more power, 4" narrower (outside tire to outside tire), and a meter shorter!

S.

maddog
08-06-2006, 08:54 AM
Looks good. It's starting to look tight once you drop the engine and gearbox into it!

maddog
08-06-2006, 09:12 AM
I have a question for you, where do your legs go?? :lol:

I'm guessing the motor is a little offset to the left hand side to allow your legs to slip down beside it? Hard to tell from those pics.

FireTruck
08-06-2006, 09:22 AM
Legs? Around your ears usually.

The engine is mounted on an angle. Your feet are kind of along side the join between the bellhousing and the engine - near the starter.

Mine is about 100mm more leg room than Pip's. I can't drive Pip's because I am so crammed in that I interfere with the shifter etc... can't get it in gear!

Certainly not built for long drives.

I doubt it could get much tighter - everything fits... like a glove.

S.

Jeff
08-06-2006, 09:57 AM
It'll be nice to drive during winter, those extractors will keep ya toes toasty!

FireTruck
08-06-2006, 11:04 AM
There will be floor/firewall between the engine and cabin, so the heat won't be that obnoxious. Also be heat wrap on the parts of the exhaust in the cabin, and a heat sheild/wrap over the muffler.

Wait till you guys see the consol etc... very cool.

S.

FireTruck
10-06-2006, 10:58 PM
OK… Saturday night, and things are really shaping up now.

Custom fuel cell is done – fits nice, and compliments the lines of the buggy.
http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/IMG_1208%20small.JPG
Antirock is mounted to chassis – just have to finish the mounts on the control arms.
Centre consol – aluminium centre consol is done. This is where the shifter and cutting brakes etc will go. The tube work that supports this and the small dash is bolted in so it can be removed, allowing the transmission to come out nice and easy.
http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/IMG_1222small.JPG
Gussets around the engine bay are in.
http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/IMG_1224small.JPG
Video camera and spotters strap brackets are done.
Orbital valve is mounted – just have to cut the shaft to size, re-position the steering column mount, and weld on the quick release steering wheel adapter.
Rear winch is mounted, and battery tray is mounted on top of rear diff to keep the weight as low as possible (and space is at a premium!).
http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/IMG_1241small.JPG
Don’t have my wheels and tires yet, so mounted Pip’s which are basically the same size (40”) and offset to check clearances, angles, etc… all looks good so far. Will try and get a bit more lock out of my steering at some stage… probably by changing my 8” ram for a 9”, maybe fabbing some new high steer arms with closer to zero Ackerman, and a little grinding of the shaft yolks where necessary. Pics are pretty much with the FireBug dropped on its guts – on the bump stops.
http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/IMG_1245small.JPG
http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/IMG_1249small.JPG
Front are rear driveshafts will be close to equal length – front probably 3-4” longer than rear.
Wheelbase is at ~103”, front track width ~79”, rear ~78”.

MR EXTREME JEEP
10-06-2006, 11:04 PM
You must be one proud daddy.:smile:
That looks awsome.
Credit to you and your talent...

You do realise that this is going to make me want to come out to the comps to see you run.

FireTruck
10-06-2006, 11:09 PM
Very proud dad... and I've gotta give Pip credit - his attention to detail is second to none. This baby is a materpiece.

You had better come out and see us run - we'll make it worth your while!

S.

Gojeep
11-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Where will the first comp be in Victoria you think as would love to see in action?

FireTruck
11-06-2006, 09:52 PM
Probably OZ Rock towards the end of July... likely to be in Albury - well worth the drive.

Will keep you posted.

S.

MR EXTREME JEEP
11-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Although I am sure we will hear more about OZ-Rock when the time draws nearer. Make sure you let us know I really wanna make an effort to see you in action.

arzzs
11-06-2006, 11:52 PM
Count me in too, scheduel permitting, but would love to come and watch.

maddog
12-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Almost finished hey. Looks pretty nice.

How do you get around not having a BCM for the 5.7L? Are you running an aftermarket computer, or do you have some sort of wiring work-around?

I don't remember reading it in the earlier posts, did you go fro 40mm tube? It looks about that.

Are you running an in-line water pump to boost the water pressure in the radiator hose and tubes to get it to travel the distance to the back of the buggy?

FireTruck
12-06-2006, 12:12 PM
The place I got the motor from made a custom loom which eliminates all the engine immobilization and fancy scmancy stuff like that... it's a basic loom, going to a 260kW tune version of the standard computer. Still running the mass air flow meter too (not maffless).

I think the tube is 1.5" (or 38.1mm)... cold drawn DOM, CroMo.

Shouldn't need the in-line water pump, but we shall see.

Almost finished is a tough call... getting quite close to tear down, blast and paint... then the final fitout... plumbing, wiring, exhaust, etc.

S.

Jimmyb
12-06-2006, 05:34 PM
Got a inline pump for sale if you find you need one!

Gojeep
12-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Probably OZ Rock towards the end of July... likely to be in Albury - well worth the drive.

Will keep you posted.

S.

Please do but will miss that one as will be leaving soon for a African Safari for nearly 7 weeks then.

FireTruck
28-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Quick update...

Rear bulge sump is on, radiator lines etc are done, driveshafts are done, front winch mounted, quick release steering wheel mounted.

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/IMG_1333small.JPG

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/IMG_1335small.JPG

Had a drama getting my brake pedal assembly in - wrong parts were sent from the US twice, then a local supplier had a family member who was ill so dropped off the face of the planet, found another supplier who was sending the assembly by courier - courier had an accident... anyway, after a couple of months it finally arrived.

As we speak the FireBug is at the exhaust shop. Should be done there late tomorrow, then back to the worshop for a few final touches... tear down early next week, then to sand blaster. By the end of next week should be painted and ready for the final fitout!

If all goes to plan we will be ready for Oz Rock on July 22nd... 3 days after my birthday!

S.

Gojeep
28-06-2006, 06:56 PM
Nice birthday present thatone. ;)

FireTruck
28-06-2006, 09:39 PM
yea, I just hope its an early birthday present, not a late one!

S.

MR EXTREME JEEP
28-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Although we will find out soon enough, what colour scheme FT?

FireTruck
29-06-2006, 06:38 AM
Still finalising it - first time out will probably be red frame and clear panels.

After I figure out which panels I need to see out of I want to paint the inside of some of them either red, or cover them with perforated stickers so I can see out but from the crowd the panels look solid... and maybe work some flames into the scheme.

S.

FireTruck
05-07-2006, 09:03 AM
...she's back from the exhaust shop (wait till you see the exhuast - it's a work of art to squeeze it through a very tight engine bay etc).

Should be stripped and the frame will go off to the blaster thisarvo or tomorrow morning. With some luck it will be back end of the week and we can maybe get some paint on the frame. In the mean time the diffs and everything else will be prep'd and pianted so they are ready to go!

S.

Nick
07-07-2006, 11:10 AM
I understand you are now going for a rainbow colour sceme and using it as a float at next years mardi gras?

FireTruck
07-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Was thinking about it, but apparently the last spot was taken by some black TJ from Melbourne...

FireTruck
12-07-2006, 09:36 AM
...she's back from the sand blaster, primed, and will be painted and baked thisarvo...

Tranny is at Autoboss for final build, should be back Friday. Control arms are off being PVD coated - back Monday.

Still no wheels to put my tires on...

11 days till Oz Rock.

S.

FireTruck
20-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Hi all – update time, with some pics this time around…

Big day yesterday, didn’t let Pip out of the workshop until around midnight… well, that’s when he kicked me out. Then 1.5hrs drive home from his workshop to find that I had missed a mini birthday surprise party that Linda had organised for me (my b’day yesterday)… oops.

Stuff is coming together – mostly. Almost everything is here now except for a couple of minor parts. Still don’t have wheels, but by far the biggest hurdle we have is that the transmission and torque converter are not back yet!! This is making it difficult… 2 days to go until OzRock and no tranny… hmmm…

Anyway, everything is looking really sweet. Got the control arms back yesterday all blinging HPC coated… the finish is amazing, and very very hard. Arms are solid 45mm 4140.

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/IMG_1408small.JPG

Catch cans for tranny and radiator are all mounted, radiator hoses are done, fuel pump and filter etc mounted, rear winch all roped up, battery mounted, rear brake lines done, antirock done, exhaust is in…

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/IMG_1401small.JPG

With the engine covers and mini-hood on the engine bay looks stuffed full (is stuffed full)… front winch is mounted and roped up, front/rear brakes lines and cutting brakes are mostly done. Powers steering bracket done, pump and new pulley mounted, modified thermostat housing on and hooked up.

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/IMG_1407small.JPG

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/IMG_1409small.JPG

Driveshafts are done and waiting for the rest of the driveline! Once the tranny goes in we can hook up the Atlas and driveshafts and get the seat back in…
http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/IMG_1413small.JPG

Still to go… need a transmission damn it! Need this in to finish a lot of stuff, and it’s not looking great at the moment I have to say. Electrics and hydraulics should be no probs – hopefully done today. And 101 other details to be sorted…

I’ll try to get an update up after Friday, but will be short on time so no promises.

S.

Dave XJ
20-07-2006, 01:52 PM
What an amazing feat!!! Well done.

FireTruck
20-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Oh boy... Thursday night and still no transmission.

Brakes are all done. Hydraulics are all done.

All that's really left is wiring and transmission... one of which we have. I'm headed back to the workshop tomorrow to help finish off the little bits and pieces, and to pray to the transmission gods for mercy.

S.

Jeff
20-07-2006, 06:23 PM
So what was the final word on the rubber & bling? Still 40" tyres?

FireTruck
21-07-2006, 08:34 PM
…friday morning, picked up tranny… the Autoboss powerglide looks awesome. Built for 800 HP, full manual valve body, etc.

By lunch time it was clear that the converter wasn’t right. Wrong bolt pattern for the flex plate, wrong offset, etc. So we’re shit outa luck for this weekend… new converter is due Tues morning, wheels are due in next week, tires should turn up next week too with a bit of luck… so should be out for testing by next weekend, then off to the WE Rock finals in 3 weeks.

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/IMG_1416small.JPG

So we’re off to Ozrock in the morning to drink a bunch of beer and hurl abuse at the competitors.

Oh, and 17x9" alloys with Staun internals and 40" Maxxis stickies by the way.

S.

maddog
22-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Did you choose to put a flange on the output shaft, or were you forced into it because your Atlas's input wouldn't suit the Powerglide due to it's prior applicaton?

FireTruck
23-07-2006, 08:15 PM
...I think you may be talking about the powerglide to Atlas adapter that is on the rear of the case... that's the Advance Adapter kit. You need this to adapt an Atlas to a powerglide.

S.

maddog
24-07-2006, 08:38 AM
Ahh okay.. I haven't received mine yet so I didn't know what they look like ;)

That explains a couple of things we were talking about on the weekend!

4b4fun
24-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Thats an awsome looking buggy mate it looks like u have poured your heart and soul into it......Stupid question, but Im curious as to why there is only 1 upper rear control arm? Can u get buy with just 1 in this sort of application or am i not looking hard enough? Sorry if it sounds stupid, just interested.

AussieRCBasher
24-07-2006, 06:17 PM
it runs one and runs on a sway bar.. so that sorta controls like 2.

4b4fun
24-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Oh ok. That makes sense. I guess it saves on weight and alowes a more 'unrestriced' movement of the rear diff through its cycle...very cool.....

Steve F
24-07-2006, 06:43 PM
The bottom two links and the panhard stop the axle moving front to back and side to side. The upper arm just stops the axle from rotating backwards and forwards. There's no really need for two upper arms especially on a trail rig.

Cheers
Steve

FireTruck
25-07-2006, 08:36 AM
yep, what they said... it's a 3 link front and rear with a panhard. Unrestricted movement, less weight, simpler, etc.

The lower control arms are triangulated quite a bit, which in combination with the panhard stops lateral movement. The upper link stops the axel twisting.

All lower arms and the rear upper arm are solid 45mm 4340. The upper rear arms has got massive 1.25" rod ends, all other links (control arms, panhard, etc) have 7/8" rod ends.

S.

Tommo
25-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Forgive me, but what's with the inboard winches? the one on the back and the one under the driver... what do they do?

maddog
25-07-2006, 08:55 AM
For winching the body down on the suspension for steep climbs, drop offs and side angles.

FireTruck
02-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Update 1.5 weeks from WE Rock…

Buggy is basically finished. Wiring is done, all hydraulics are done… aside from a little cleaning up, there is only a couple of things left to do…

The torque converter is in the mail… supposed to be delivered to Autoboss first thing in the morning, then on to the workshop directly. Will believe it when I see it…

Wheels – another fiasco. They are apparently on their way here. When we were told they would ‘arrive’ this week, what that meant was that they would (hopefully) ship from the US this week… again very frustrating, and given the time we have it looks as though we won’t be able to run our 40” sticky tires at WE Rock which won’t be doing us any favours.

Assuming the converter turns up and fits, we are booked in for a Mafless tune on the dyno at G&D next Monday… hope to have some video of the dyno runs that I will post up when I get a chance.

And some update pics (sans-converter)… some shots of the cockpit. Cutting brakes (left and right rear)… note the little ¼ turn valve before the cutting brakes – this is the e-brake (hand brake), and also should allow rear digs. Bling B&M shifter with the gates shaved off and reverse lockout tack welded open, front and rear winch toggles, cut-off switch and starter button. Also a temp gauge and oil pressure gauge for the engine, an alternator light, and a 12V outlet.

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/firebug/aug_2006/IMG_1463small.JPG

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/firebug/aug_2006/IMG_1464small.JPG

Hydro lines very neatly tucked away under the engine covers – very nice work on the hydraulics… Steve (Willis) was happy to put some extra care into getting everything just right.

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/firebug/aug_2006/IMG_1479small.JPG

And some of the firewall and floor section around the pedals:

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/firebug/aug_2006/IMG_1475small.JPG

S.

MR EXTREME JEEP
02-08-2006, 10:29 PM
That is beautiful. Maybe not the right word as we are talking about one tough lookin rig. This may be a real stupid question to someone who knows the answer but is there a hand throttle at all?

Timmy
03-08-2006, 08:20 AM
are you planning on wrapping that exhaust section where it comes through the cabin shane?

awesome job to by the way, looks amazing.

FireTruck
03-08-2006, 08:21 AM
No hand throttle... with an auto there is really no need. You drive with right foot on the accelerator, left on the brake pedal.

Yes, there is still some exhaust sheilding, and exhaust wrap, to go on.

S.

TJ
03-08-2006, 12:30 PM
definately a piece of art! nicely done!
prolly a bit of work and could get knocked, but i reckon it would be cool to have the winch controls on the steering wheel with a small toggle swich on each side for front and rear.

FireTruck
03-08-2006, 12:46 PM
In the heat of battle you need to know which switch is which... the steering wheel is not always straight up and down, so even if they are clearly marked you have to take the time to check which is which...

I do have room (and buttons) on the wheel for future stuff... 'auto-return to centre' for rear steer is one candidate.

S.

Snapey
06-08-2006, 08:39 PM
So - is it all go for WE Rock at Milbrodale next weekend? I'll be there with the other half so looking forward to saying G'Day and having a close look at Firebug before you scratch it!

We can have a chat about that engine too.

FireTruck
07-08-2006, 09:40 AM
yep, we'll be there... been a crazy few days, but I was cutting cookies in the FireBug in the carpark last night before she went onto the trailer... off to be tuned, then some final tweaks/adjustments/clean-ups and we should hopefully be good to go.

No wheels yet...

S.

FireTruck
07-08-2006, 03:06 PM
Big weekend… I picked up the converter late on Friday arvo, and on Saturday morning I picked up the flex plate and headed to the workshop.

You wouldn’t believe it, but after wrestling the transmission/t’case/converter into the FireBug the converter spacing was wrong. Soooo, the converter came back out and we skimmed a few mm’s off the mounting feet of the converter. Seems to fit ok now, but this was another couple of hours of unexpected grief.

Since then we have been powering on – she started for the first time on Saturday night, and runs surprisingly well without a MAF or any oxygen sensors etc. Does idle high, and she chews some fuel! The tune will sort this stuff out no doubt.

We were back again on Sunday morning first thing to keep building… Sunday night I drove her out of the shed and did some laps of the carpark. After sorting some cooling issues, we loaded the the FireBug onto the trailer (for the first time under her own steam!) at around 10:30pm last night, and today she’s on the dyno.

At times there was a team of 6 people crawling all over the buggy trying to get her ready for tuning today. Big thanks too all those guys who have helped out along the way – I owe you guys some cans.

A few more adjustments, checks, and finishing touches and we’ll be in business for the WE Rock finals this weekend. I’ll be back down to the workshop tomorrow night, and then hopefully towing her home late in the week – at last.

Still no wheels… looks like my 40” stickies will rest up a bit longer, and my trusty old swampers will get one more chance at glory.

Will try and get a pic or two up when I can... also maybe a short video of the first test run...

S.

maddog
07-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Did you use a modified Powerglide torque converter, or a totally custom job?

Same with the flex plate, is it a custom one to suit the Powerglide converter, or did you use the factory one?

FireTruck
07-08-2006, 03:40 PM
factory flex plate, custom converter... has to be custom as there has never been such a beast as a GenIII/powerglide on anythinfg from the factory.

Apparently there are alot of different flex plates on the different GenIII's... mine was dished.

S.

FireTruck
08-08-2006, 02:56 PM
From late Sunday night before she went on the trailer, so this is before tuning... short vid of me trying not to run into too much stuff with my funny little roller skate trailer tires on:

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/video/FireBug_is_alive_small.wmv

S.

sir_camel
08-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Awesome stuff mate....wish i could come this weekend to see it really drive.

FireTruck
08-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Unofficial results from the dyno are 211 kW at the rear wheels, which I think would put it at 300+kW at the engine (given the heavy arse driveline).

400+HP... not too shabby.

S.

danjeep
09-08-2006, 06:47 AM
are you doing any events in NSW at all? would love to see this thing in action, very nice work, how much does is weigh approximately??

FireTruck
09-08-2006, 07:50 AM
Yes! Will be at the WE Rock finals in Milbrodale this coming weekend. Its at the same site as Tuff Truck.

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Modules/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=80416

Not sure what it weighs - I'd guess around 1300kg's (maybe a bit less, but there is a fair amount of shot in the tires).

S.

maddog
21-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Can't believe you haven't posted a completed pic of the whole thing yet (aside from tyres obviously) :lol:

http://maddog.zook.org/albums/day2/235_3511_IMG.sized.jpg

http://maddog.zook.org/albums/day2/235_3596_IMG.sized.jpg

http://maddog.zook.org/albums/day2/236_3629_IMG.sized.jpg

http://maddog.zook.org/albums/day2/236_3630_IMG.sized.jpg

FireTruck
21-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks Ben... been waiting for Zach to put pics up on our site, but of course I can link to some of yours!

S.

FireTruck
21-08-2006, 11:14 AM
After a string of sleepless night, we made it to the WE Rock finals… the very first test drive for the FireBug (aside from loading her onto the trailer) was on course A1 at the WE Rock finals!

Mixed results... we bent some brackets and broke a driveshaft on the first course of the day which used up all our breakdown time (you get 45 mins total breakdown time per day), so we DNF'd most of the courses on Saturday. Fixed her up and did pretty well on the Sunday courses, but were a long way behind after Saturdays efforts.

My wheels and tires didn't make it, so we used the old ones... they are wider and shorter than the new ones, but did the job ok for the first test run.

Got some fine tuning to do (and beefing up a couple of brackets!), but she felt very stable and we're looking forward to getting amounst it again soon!

Thanks Ben for the pics...

http://maddog.zook.org/albums/day2/235_3567_IMG.sized.jpg

http://maddog.zook.org/albums/day2/236_3629_IMG.sized.jpg

http://maddog.zook.org/albums/day2/237_3754_IMG.sized.jpg

Dave XJ
21-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Awesome acheivement, well done.

FireTruck
21-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Been a while, guess I should put in a last update of the finished product… the FireBug is ready to rock!

Couple of recent pics below... with my wheels/tires/beadlocks. 40" comp compound Maxxis Creepy Crawlers on 17x9" Pro Comp alloys, and internal Staun double bead locks.

Spent some time tuning the steering to get some more steering lock... re-drilled steering arms, ground the axel yokes a tad, etc.

One of these pics is a pic of my mate in the buggy. The other one was before it went into the Melb 4x4 show.

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/IMG_1873.JPG

http://www.teamfiretruck.com/images/IMG_1823small.JPG

Steve F
21-11-2006, 08:49 PM
That turned out awesome. Nice work indeed.

Cheers
Steve

maddog
22-11-2006, 08:31 AM
Did you end up competing in the OzRock finals with it?

MR SUPER STAR
22-11-2006, 08:43 AM
Looks good,

What thermostat housing are you using? Does it have a thermostat in it? & are you using an electric water pump to get the coolant from the motor to the radiator?

Cheers Troy.

FireTruck
22-11-2006, 08:57 AM
They moved the Oz Rock finals to the same weekend as my Mum's wedding in Qld, so I had to miss it. Not happy.

No thermostat. Standard housing, but modified somewhat for clearance and to accomodate no thermostat. There is a hole in the housing that has to be plugged to work properly without the thermostat. The guys at G&D perfromance picked that up when it went to be tuned.

Thermo fans run off the computer.

S.

FireTruck
22-11-2006, 08:58 AM
Using standard water pump - not an electric one. I have read that if you go electric on an LS1 you need to run 2 pumps (2 electric pumps).

S.

maddog
22-11-2006, 09:06 AM
They moved the Oz Rock finals to the same weekend as my Mum's wedding in Qld, so I had to miss it. Not happy.

No thermostat. Standard housing, but modified somewhat for clearance and to accomodate no thermostat. There is a hole in the housing that has to be plugged to work properly without the thermostat. The guys at G&D perfromance picked that up when it went to be tuned.

Thermo fans run off the computer.

S.

With the thermos running off the ECU, do you have the ability to leave them running after the engine stops to continue to cool? Or is there no point if the water pump is not running?

Gojeep
22-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Why no thermostat?

CRDSTU
23-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Beautiful. What a trick looking buggy or should I say, bug.

brooksy
01-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Turned out nice Shane, look forward to seeing it in person next year in the comps

brooksy

FireTruck
02-12-2006, 09:21 AM
No thermostat was just simpler... don't have to worry about the thermostat not working, less flow restriction, etc. Radiator is in the rear and the water runs through the frame to get back to it, so less restriction the better.

Its not a daily driver (hello captain obvious), so its easy to just let her warm up for a few extra mins to come up to temperature before driving.

S.

FireTruck
02-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Ben - no real point running the fans if the water pump isn't running.

I have seen TOO many people just run the thermo fans off a switch and then forget to turn them on... I reckon you see that 10 times a comp... people yelling from the crowd "turn the thermos on!". The only real reason to do it from a switch is if you do lots of deep water crossings and bog holes... doubt we will see any of that in these things!

I can disconnect a lead and easily connect the thermo direct to the battery if something goes terribly wrong.

But, if I leave the ignition on and it is above temp the fans will keep running with the engine off I think.

S.