PDA

View Full Version : Startech chip

Jeeptheone
07-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Has anyone had the Jeep factory offered Startech chip install done? I am looking at geting it done and was wondering if there was any adverse issues that came up? I talked to Albion Jeep today and they have not had anyone do it yet?

I would like the Grand to have 190kw as they state!

JTO

Jeeptheone
16-06-2006, 06:34 PM
I gather by the lack of posts that no one has ventured this far?

I will get some more info from Jeep and set in motion the install. I will keep all updated.

JTO

Bomber
16-06-2006, 07:28 PM
Funny you should mention it, as I came across the Startech site today looking for something else. One thing led to another, tracked down the local kinda distributor and I suspect nearly fell of the seat when I asked about them - they do some other Mercedes equivalent brand and get Startech by default (you saw my other post I see).

I have been considering a diesel chip so I'll watch with interest - keep us posted.

The DPchip from Berrima Diesel supposedly gives a 35% increase in power, this takes mine to 162kW, the Startech claims 150kW for their equivalent.

Jeeptheone
16-06-2006, 07:34 PM
I wonder if Jeep would do a deal for the first WH to be chipped in Aust? Good promo for the factory option.

Mine is pretty fast off the mark now and would be bloody scary with the alleged power increase to 190kw. The torque at 580Nm is what I like so it would be able to drag its arse over anything with limited articlation.

JTO

jenkomagic
16-06-2006, 07:45 PM
The Startech chip as advertised in 4wd monthly is not supported by Jeep Aust as the magazine claims. Apparently this will be mentioned next month. I have looked into this, and what it looks like that the European brands ie (Startech and Stienbour) are rated for cleaner fuels that are found in Europe and lower ambient temperatures thus the high power gains. They are expensive also $2,500.00each

D-chip do a chip were you can vary the power output over 10 stages. At 5 stage the power is 170kw and 560 Nm. I can crank it up to 190kw 600Nm but can’t guaranty engine longevity. Maybe in the dead cold of winter I’ll notch it up a few places to 7-8. at $1,400 . I feel it’s a lot safer and less expensive option.
PS. I blew the V6 Commodore off at the lights last week. The guy stoped me next lights and asked if my Jeep was a V8..He was so pissed off that a CRD bet him!

jeep_on
17-06-2006, 05:00 PM
He was pissed that a CRD beat his V6 off the line? That’s an awfully sad thing to be upset about. The WK ( WH ) weighs a lot. The two wheel drive 3.7L V6 has a curb weight of 4333 LBS ( 1965 KG ) and he is mad that his pussy V6 got beat by a diesel?

I got smoked by the first WK I raced at the light with my WJ. It was back in 04 when they first came on the market. I’d seen them at the stealership but didn’t realize they had the available HEMI engine. Needless to say I got beat. But I wasn’t up set b/c my smaller less powerful engine lost.

I can take diesels all day long with my WJ, but as soon as his turbo spools up, its all over.

But back to the Startech subject. They make great goodies for DCX products. I’d love to get my greedy hands on one of their modded WHs. Nice stroked 4.7L to 5.5L. Toss a supercharger on that and go find kids with their little import rice burners.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/custom/startech1.jpg

http://www.wjjeeps.com/custom/startech4.jpg

http://www.wjjeeps.com/custom/startech2.jpg

Don't care for the rims though.

salesguy
23-06-2006, 08:41 AM
We've used Berrima diesel and I'm happy to endorse them. Conditions here are different to Europe - fuel quality, ambient temps, more likely to tow, blah blah...

Now that we have a full line-up of 3.0 CRDs - WH, XH and 300C - we're off to Berrima again next week.

Nigel can't wait.

Jeeptheone
23-06-2006, 09:44 AM
What seems to be the go with Jeep Aust? I spoke to the guys at Albion and they said that its the Startech chip option and a recent email I pumped off the Jeep Aust is that they have received no info from Startech on the chip??

I am confused?

JTO