PDA

View Full Version : Another New Sydney Couple

smn8436779
29-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Hi all I'm Shane and my partner is Danielle. we dont own a jeep as yet but are still looking for one. we are both young mid twentys both enjoy camping and hope to meet a lot of good jeepers on the tracks

maddog
29-06-2006, 11:50 AM
hai!!!!! :)

Barefoot
29-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Hi there Shane and Danielle :D

What sort of Jeep are you after?

smn8436779
29-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Hey we are looking for a KJ at the moment but wouldnt mind a 4dr wrangler when they come here

Dave'n'Wen
29-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Hey Shane, you a Pussa?

cj5350
29-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Hey we are looking for a KJ at the moment but wouldnt mind a 4dr wrangler when they come here

Ya might want to send "dorzun" a PM...think he is about to sell his one with all the goodies on it..8-)

Tasar
29-06-2006, 09:01 PM
welcome - hope you find a car and enjoy

if you get a kj do 2 things if thinking of off roading

1. small lift and
2. under protection (skid plates)

smn8436779
30-06-2006, 08:05 AM
hey all, yeah dave im a stoker at waterhen. thanks for the tip CJ will look into that, would prefer an XJ though as i belive they are a more capable jeep (and cheeper)

Dave'n'Wen
30-06-2006, 05:04 PM
hey all, yeah dave im a stoker at waterhen.

Cool, Im the Chief Stoker on Parramatta. If you want to check out my XJ, PM me.

smn8436779
02-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Dave thanks will do. still trying to convince the boss on an XJ as i think they are bigger (inside) than the new KJ but she likes the look of a KJ which do you think are bigger in boot space.

Dorzun
03-07-2006, 05:41 PM
hey all, yeah dave im a stoker at waterhen. thanks for the tip CJ will look into that, would prefer an XJ though as i belive they are a more capable jeep (and cheeper)

Yeh I do have one for sale. Will go on the market for around 24K. has a skyjacker lift as well as all the bash plates and some other goodies.

And it's not the model that is more capable, it's the drivers ability + rig etc etc. And regardless of what you buy, Jeeps aint cheap.

maddog
03-07-2006, 06:01 PM
And it's not the model that is more capable, it's the drivers ability + rig etc etc. And regardless of what you buy, Jeeps aint cheap.

True story.. I drove a stock standard WJ through some tracks that I've seen vehicles on 33s strugle through on Saturday :lol:

Fouros
03-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Dave thanks will do. still trying to convince the boss on an XJ as i think they are bigger (inside) than the new KJ but she likes the look of a KJ which do you think are bigger in boot space.

kj rear load area actually bigger than the XJ as the roofline is taller, KJ has more rear legroom for backseat passengers, those adults i have had in the back of the KJ never complained, if you can wait a little while i will find the dimensional comparo i found on a KJ site for you

maddog
03-07-2006, 06:40 PM
It probably comes down to how much you want to spend as to which vehicle you buy.

Sound like 2 door is out for you, so forget Wrangler. That leaves ZJ/XJ, WJ, KJ, WH or Commander. If you're on a tight budget. You can get a good XJ for <$10k and they're capable enough for what you'll get around Sydney nowdays.

On a side note, I've seen 2 Commanders in the flesh and they look damn good! a 2" lift and some mud terrain tyres and that would be a nice vehicle (in CRD of course)

silver_jk
03-07-2006, 08:13 PM
kjs are bigger onthe inside lol thats why there lower to the ground as for capable i thin its 50 50 an xj will get places a kj might go but a crd kj uses about 1/2 the fuel of a xj :)

smn8436779
04-07-2006, 12:18 PM
thanks for that guys yeah i kinda found that jeeps are expensive but then you get what you pay for. thanks for that fouros that would be good as i have found anything yet so i can do a size comparison. i think we will end up going for the crd kj besides bash plates and lift (2inch) what are the other recommended mods that should be done straight up

silver_jk
04-07-2006, 12:31 PM
thanks for that guys yeah i kinda found that jeeps are expensive but then you get what you pay for. thanks for that fouros that would be good as i have found anything yet so i can do a size comparison. i think we will end up going for the crd kj besides bash plates and lift (2inch) what are the other recommended mods that should be done straight up

thats all ive done to my crd make sure you get all 4 skid plates theres 3 avail here in oz but you can order the 4 from the states www.justforjeeps.com and a few others sell them all up weight is about 15-20 kgs for the 4 being fuel tank, front bash plate, transmission plate ( most important in the auto crd) and the transfer case

there are quite a fw good lift kits out there ive chosen pedders lift useing existing front shocks ( mines done 19,000 atm) and getting a set of ranchos rsx17004 like fro's has on his from the states at www.jeeperandcreepers.com
for 55 us each ( about 155 aust + freight ) for a pair the crd's need heaver springs n shocks to the petrol kj as there about 60 kj heavier over the front end

hope this has helped

smn8436779
04-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Thanks for that Blue yeah it has helped heaps. Do you tow with yours if so how does it go. as ive yet to teach the better half that when camping you dont need to take the whole wardrobe. so i will also end up with an old 6x4 that i will customise for light off road
the only reason i was looking at a XJ is that there are a lot more mods availble for them but like with any new model the KJs will have a lot to hopefully.

maddog
04-07-2006, 02:13 PM
I can vouch for the WJ's towing abilities. I've been towing my competition Jeep and trailer around with it for a while now and it pulls like a freight train.

The trailer weighs about 770kg and the comp TJ weighs about 2000kg.

If the CRD KJ is anything like that, you won't be disappointed.

Consider getting good recovery points mounted on whatever you get. In a KJ/WJ/XJ this means a front bar and a tow bar.

silver_jk
04-07-2006, 02:20 PM
havnet really towed that much with mine becides a box trailer proberly 6x4 with hard sides i roof ( mates trailer ) when towing it the fuel consump went up about 1 ltr/hundered so from onper road runnning with out 9l/hrd ave to about 10-10.5 im really impressed with mine on and off road we did camp coffs earlyer this yr and for the trips we filled up when we got to coffs we did the day trips for 3 days about 4-5hrs a day in low range the car used about 50-60 ltrs in total so 3/4 tank so roughly about 250-350ks for that and it wasnt raised when we went down the skid plates were on it they scraped us over most things :) but by now mines lifted and ill get to see it later on today ill post pix of the pedders lift kit etc for your info if you like mines running 17" wheels though when the factory tyres ( shit ones ) wear out im going cooper stt's in 245/70/17" cooper are he only ones that do a tyre for the 17" in that sizing so alls good :)

in my honest opinion id never go back to a petrol car mine on an open road run got down to 8-8.5l per hundred comeing back to brissie from coffs with the car fully loaded lol ie tent chairs tarp poles table etc and 3 ppl on board :)

silver_jk
04-07-2006, 02:22 PM
I can vouch for the WJ's towing abilities. I've been towing my competition Jeep and trailer around with it for a while now and it pulls like a freight train.

The trailer weighs about 770kg and the comp TJ weighs about 2000kg.

If the CRD KJ is anything like that, you won't be disappointed.

Consider getting good recovery points mounted on whatever you get. In a KJ/WJ/XJ this means a front bar and a tow bar.

when you go to get a snatch strap if needed get 2 heavy duty rated d shackles for ya car the kj's front point is ok on mine but im going to get another for the other side incase its needed some time but if you get a nudge bar you loose the 2 front recovery points though just so you know

smn8436779
04-07-2006, 02:25 PM
thanks for that blue yeah the crd is the only way to go 10.5l/100 is pretty good lucky to get that in my falcon with only me in it if you dont mind what was a ball park figure for the lift from pedders

silver_jk
04-07-2006, 02:38 PM
thanks for that blue yeah the crd is the only way to go 10.5l/100 is pretty good lucky to get that in my falcon with only me in it if you dont mind what was a ball park figure for the lift from pedders

ill get the figures tonight but the most you can go on a kj without giving the front cv's greef is 750mm from bottom of rim

its im told a 2" ish lift with the ranchos it gives ( should give ) enough droop off the back ive used the standard shock in the front as the mech said there for the crd anyway and dump them about 60-80,000 kms as the front shocks shouldnt bottom out as they are when i fit the stt coopers it gets a bit more lift as on mine ive got 235/65/17" atm going to 245/70/17" adds about 1" extra over all i think but there may rub in a few places on the plastic liners mabe ?

will get the model of the pedders springs n stuff tonight and add them with the photos of mine on the hill outside his workshop

i hour to go :) hehe

smn8436779
04-07-2006, 02:52 PM
37minutes but whos counting. roughly what did the pedders set you back

silver_jk
04-07-2006, 02:57 PM
37minutes but whos counting. roughly what did the pedders set you back

were about 160 a pair front n rear + fitting cost me about 200 it get fitted + wheel alignment its easyier if its an older kj to get ya front shocks done at the same time as the lift the struts are inside the coils on the front so bit of werk to get them off

silver_jk
04-07-2006, 09:21 PM
have a look in the july rant club on page 33 ish i put the pix of my lift there there not real clear but you get the idea before the lift they were 690 R 695 F now the height is 760 over all with th4 pedders track rider coils and useing the standard front shocks and rancho rsx17004 on the rear ill alos need a 20mm bump stop to be fittted to mine
as theres a bit of plave with the coils on full artulation as you can see in the fotos when i change the front shocks it should droop a bit more in the front off road ill give you an update after saturdays drive but on road feel is good so far :)

smn8436779
05-07-2006, 11:01 AM
Mate she looks sweet now except for the wheels but will look real shmick when you get your coopers on there

silver_jk
05-07-2006, 11:08 AM
hell yeah hehe probly another 20,000kms on these tyres hopefully lol
then off they go :)

smn8436779
05-07-2006, 12:42 PM
key blue is yours auto or manual. which is better in your opinion

silver_jk
05-07-2006, 12:46 PM
mines a limited so there only avail as an auto but in the sport there man or auto after haveing mine for nearly 12 mnths i think the auto off road is better it holds the gears down hill in 4 lo good etc and the shift is silky smooth too very impressed with it 5 speed auto too in the crd the petrol gets a 4 speed

silver_jk
05-07-2006, 02:38 PM
up date the springs for the front are pedders model number fr7820 and the rears rr7821

rancho rear shocks model rsx17004 but you will need a 20mm spacer for these in the back not sure on the part number for them yet

smn8436779
05-07-2006, 07:30 PM
thanks for that blue hows she driving now

silver_jk
05-07-2006, 08:10 PM
fan tastic :) you do notice your a bit higher but aver al well worth the money

Brian Walker
21-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Hi I'm Brian,
My partner Nada and I are the proud owners of new KJ petrol burner! with 3.5 lift. Tyres are still stock, anyone know what I can get away with. (was thinking 245/70R17 Cooper STs) or maybe 265s, guess I want to keep my spare wheel cover though! Taking it for a run up to the Zig Zag this weekend to convince the good lady that Wrangler ATs aren't the last word in traction.
:)

silver_jk
22-07-2006, 07:11 AM
Hi I'm Brian,
My partner Nada and I are the proud owners of new KJ petrol burner! with 3.5 lift. Tyres are still stock, anyone know what I can get away with. (was thinking 245/70R17 Cooper STs) or maybe 265s, guess I want to keep my spare wheel cover though! Taking it for a run up to the Zig Zag this weekend to convince the good lady that Wrangler ATs aren't the last word in traction.
:)

hey there :)

ive been told the st's or the stt's are both the pick im going for the stt's in 245/70/17" on my kj crd ive been told the 265/70/17 would rub on full lock and have some legal issues ( ie not too legal) depends on the rims too as for the spare if your spare is the 235/65/17" like mine has you can use it as a spare but dont go too far with it on if you go to the higher wide tyres etc mines currently got goodyear s4's there a ok tyre but im hopeing they will wear out soon lol done 20,000 on them and so far off road there ok not the best though also the coopes are the only ones doing a tyre in the 17" to suit the 245/70/17" for now