PDA

View Full Version : Anyone into R/C Planes ?

CRDSTU
31-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Just bought my 1st one 2 weeks ago. Crashed a few times but now got the hang of it. Touch N Go's, stalls, barrel rolls, loops ect, easy - ready for my next planes, with Ailerons this time.

Any one out there got a plane ?

Stubborn1
04-09-2006, 01:15 AM
i use to, use to go over to hamilton in vic for bit of a holiday and fly the model planes...The biggest one i had was a 90inch kittyhawk with a sachs 70cc petrol motor in it. gave helis a go for a bit to.. i flew and built model planes for 10years, trying to get back into it at the moment. have a 92inch seafury sitting in my shed im trying to get started on building.
cheers steven

CRDSTU
06-09-2006, 03:01 PM
That's awesome!! wow, a 70cc petrol engine has some serious power for a RC plane.

Seafury hey ? mmm, you do have nice taste in planes ;)

A customer of mine from my last job own www.flyingfighters.com.au check it out.
I've been up with him in the L39 Albatross, but still waiting on the day I get the call up for the Fury.......dang, cant wait.....either that or his Mustang, i'm easy :P!!

I want to get to a level where I can fly a large scale Warbird, then maybe after a few years go on to do fast jets. I want to get a replica of the L39 I went in.

Good to see other people out there interested.

silver_jk
06-09-2006, 03:17 PM
david smith

nick :dsmit376 he goes out to the model plane thing most weekends

MR EXTREME JEEP
06-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Jeez I am not "into it" but I bought a plain once. A mate of mine was working at a toy fair and got us some passes. So I bought display stock ready to go no remote. Borrowed a remote fromanother friend and away I went. Took it up stacked it into 40 pieces on landing and gave it all to the guy who lent me his remote but in a bag. $300 down the drain. Oh well. I would hate to stack one of the ones you guys are talkingt about...

CRDSTU
06-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Jeez I am not "into it" but I bought a plain once. A mate of mine was working at a toy fair and got us some passes. So I bought display stock ready to go no remote. Borrowed a remote fromanother friend and away I went. Took it up stacked it into 40 pieces on landing and gave it all to the guy who lent me his remote but in a bag. $300 down the drain. Oh well. I would hate to stack one of the ones you guys are talkingt about...

lol!! That's sad, but the way you told the story makes it funny :) !!

I must admit, having a bit of a 'knack' asto understanding how planes & aerodynamics works, makes a world of difference. I was about to by the famous P-51D Mustang (electric of course) but the guy at the hobby shop talked me out of it real quick. He was really good asto guiding me in the right direction.
1st he recommended I get an "Ultralite" style of plane, elec & no ailerons, but rudder & elevation on the rear. I was down the local park 5 mins after I got home with a decent sized "faomie" for $149 ready to fly including charger & 2 batteries.
A week later I went back into say "right, whats next". ! They have this AWESOME realistic simulator on PC that includes an actual real 4 channel controller with extra switches on it for landing gear, smoke, 2 level servo actuation ect ect. It's a simulator for R/C planes & heli's, not real planes ect and the realistic aspect is 99% including wind ect. If you've ever played it, you'll know what i'm talking about, its simply awesome. At $399 a kit, its also exy, but when you consider how much training & experience you'll get, its priceless - POINT IN CASE THE ABOVE POST ! (not paying you out man!)

I'm 80% of the way through building this plane, a HARVARD. The guys at the shop said for me to build it, then bring it in to have them inspect /trim / pre deliver her before I go sick with it. They even said they'll do the maiden flight for it with me in the park across the road just incase. I'll cirtainly take them up on that offer believe me!

Cant wait to see her fly, should be next w'end weather permitting.

MR EXTREME JEEP
06-09-2006, 08:28 PM
I have played on that simulator. I think I have a copy of it.
You can buy controllers that are like a remote one too.
My mate has 2 helicopters and 2 gliders and a real small fighter stunt plain. he flies it inverted about a foot off the ground. That is skill mann i tell yah.
I was facing my plane when i was landing it for the first time. It was diving and pulling off to the left . When I corrected it i did exactly the opposite of what it should have done. Went further left and straight down into the dirt. S#*t went everywhere. It was so funny.
I cant believe you would let someone do the maiden flight on your 100's of hours labour. Its like building up a buggy and letting someone else drive it for the first time.
Would love to see some pics of it though. I have seen some jets about 2 meters long with "hydro turbines" i dont know if that is right exactly but they were awsome too.

CRDSTU
07-09-2006, 05:24 PM
I'll get some pics happening soon. Its nothing special, but cool nuntheless !

I've got some insane footage of MASSIVE scale Ultimate's (Biplanes) and PitSpecials, + some hardcore footage of some fast jets in action, and a few crashes I might add !
One of the biggest problems i've noticed is the amount of failures in retractable landing gear not coming down, or 1 wheel only stuff - fooks the plane on landing big time :( !!

I went to my mates hanger yesterday just for a 'look' !! hehe!! Here it is:
If you look carefully, you can see the Seafury in the background with her wings folded up (rare for a Fury) and the L39 Jet I went in.
The closest one is the Spitfire, she's worth over a Mil..........and appreciating every day.....what an asset.
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/7924/dsc02513lx1.jpg
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/6418/dsc02515iv9.jpg
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2232/dsc02520lp1.jpg
T6 Trojan
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/6999/dsc02521uc6.jpg
Harvard, same as what i'm building
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/6235/dsc02522ot4.jpg
Yak9
He took this Yak upto Caboolture & back yesterday for her 1st ever flight since a full rebuild !

MR EXTREME JEEP
07-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Im fkn speechless.:shock:

Hic
08-09-2006, 02:58 AM
I have been flying for about 3years, but my old man about 20 ~ doing a lot more lately as Jeeping is now work (never turn a hobby into a job dose distroy it a bit) Currently a member of the Centeral Coast Model Aero Club and there Minature Aero Sports and FAI deligate.
PIC's currently moving house but will get sm picks up when I can.

RCM Trainer (High wing aerobatic trainner- Scratch Build) 45cc ENYA - current under rebuid
SCANNER (Low wing fully aerobatic semi-trainer ARF) 45cc ROSSIE - Flying
ULTIMATE 3D (3D plane can hover like a heli - ARF) 56cc SATIO Four stroke. - Flying
3D BIBE ~ Small Foam electric byplane running and outrunner electric with variable pitch propeller (can reverse thrust. 1st electric is OK but prefer methonal motors. - Flying
Doubble SCANNER (got a scanner and built nacelles for the wings with retracts as a bit of fun - Scratch build) 2x45cc TIGER SHARK - Under Construction
Excelleron ~ 60cc PATTERN PLANE (Precision Aerobatics - ARF) 60cc ABC TIGER SHARK - Flying
CAP262 ~ (lots of fun to fly but tip stalls easily, Scale ARF), Twin Chlinder SATIO 90cc For Stroke - Under construction
G-Bee Racer ~ (Big Plane, Very hard to fly,high speeed landing etc love the plane though we will see when it hits the air) 300cc SATIO 5cylinder radial engine - Boxed
Liberator ~ (Big Plane, easy to fly but frightening operational turrets and bombays 15 odd servos, currently surpasses my 7ch radio set) 4x25cc OS Max 2 strokes. - Full scratch build still in box
T-Rex Heli Bought it to fly in the warehouse @ work / after work full anodised complete with full bling. ~ Still in Box 1st Heli
:) Try to get out twice a week but with the Jambo comming up, writing for JAA and others and the shop being so busy sort of dificult at the moment was going to go yesterday but weather was no good 40knts winds and rain etc.

'Ants' is also into it a bit we go togeather some times - Time is the biggest PIA. Looking at getting piolts licence as i a only 15min from bankstown although it is interesting we have a number of commercial (local and international) and air force pilots (williamtown) in the club and they think the models are more fun the the real deal.

(why am I writing posts @ 3.01am in the morning and about to go into work ~ sigh, maybee so i can afford all these stupid planes and expensive 4stroke engines)

CRDSTU
08-09-2006, 09:24 AM
holy Shit !!! You ARE a Planie!!

That collection you have is not only AMAZING, but Exy :( !! lol!

Great to see such a dedicated person. I just love the feeling of flying, not to mention just watching planes in flight, there's something about it I just cant explane....(bad joke I know!)

I've got no interest in Heli's to be honest, its just planes & jets for me.
I've been to many airshows, Amberly up the road from me was the best, all the local pilots cut sik. Watching an FA18 superhornet doing a "Mono" on his tail under thrust at very low altitude was insane. I was filming the whole day with a video camera stuck in my face, and when the Hornet slowed down to perform this manouvre, you hear me say behind the camera "What the F#%K ? Oh my God!!!!" LOL!!

BAck to R/C: I'm going to start going out to an R/C Plane Club to start watching the pros, see how they do it all (on Saturday)

Nice talking to you Hic.
Stu

MR EXTREME JEEP
11-09-2006, 12:39 AM
tHIS WAS GIVEN TO ME FROM A MATE.
i HAVNT CHECKED THE LINK OUT.

"Maybe you can post a link to the free simulator FMS
http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html
the forum there has some links on how to make your own cables so you can
attach your remote control to the pc.."

CRDSTU
11-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Interesting, i'll find out wether its the same one i've been using ?

If that pic at the bottom of the page is from the sim, its definately not the one. ?

dsmit376
01-12-2006, 01:44 PM
Hey CRDSTU i didn't know you were into rc planes, i only just discovered this thread today.

Iam really into rc models, iam an active member of the P.R.A.M.S(Pine Rivers Aeronautical Model Society) down at Griffin just 5 minutes from Strathpine.
I haven't been out there in a little while as ive been very busy but iam on holidays soon and looking forward to flying a fair bit.
I have my bronze wings which is a certified rank to fly by myself without an instructor or buddybox link, ive had them for a year now and i hope to get my gold wings soon which enables me to fly at our annual airshow.

I learnt to fly at prams with the club instructors & realflight g3 whcih is an awesome simulator, i even spent a few hours learning basics of flying helis.

I use a JR 2610 6 channel radio which has done everything ive ever needed, it retails around $500 for the radio kit and it has plenty of model memories and does great mixing, and example of this is the differential aileron setup i have on my glider, the glider had ailerons elevators and I use another mixing function to enguage speed breaks which just throws up both ailerons vertical and kills all the lift this is very useful for landing in very small areas such as the side of a cliff.

I currently own a Sky Raider Trainer & a fibreglass 1.4m glider which i bought overseas.

The planes ive had in the passed include

Great Planes Slinger - died a tragic death with a lithium blew up

Great Planes Mini-Slinger - MIA, so small and fast it glitched one day and i still can't find it.

The slingers are great fun, can land very hard and no damage, they are a little difficult for any beginners, they are elevon mixing aircraft(aileron & elevators are the same control surfaces) and very twitchy.

RCM Trainer - my first trainer, met tragedy with a tree but i donated the fuse and what was left of the main wing and a mate from the club rebuilt his rcm trainer with the good bits on mine for his sun.

The sky raider goes really hard believe it or not, ive got a .46 thunder tigre pro in it with about 5 hours of flight on it so its well worn in and makes great power, you should see the tricks this thing can do(any other trainer would break its main wing), the sky rainder is a very strongly built plane and reccommend if you want to get into real planes and not the cheap electrics with only very basic control surfaces.

My next planes will be an indoor 3d , probably a mini "extra" which has all three control surfaces and are very big so they can prop hang and do knife edge flight very well. I also want to invest in an Align Trex 3d helicopter.

I often fly my glider at Mitchelton Soccer club which is next door to brookside shopping centre as the fields are huge and you get some good thermals over the creek.

have to meet up with u and take you to the club some time.

cya round
dave

hillsjeep
01-12-2006, 09:36 PM
I used to fly RC helocopters many years ago and just recently found this simulator:

http://www.rcflightsim.com

It only cost $30US and the choppers are quite similar to flying the real thing so I assume the planes are too. Just need to buy a cheap game contoller unless you can hook up your transmitter.

CRDSTU
10-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Hey CRDSTU i didn't know you were into rc planes, i only just discovered this thread today.

Iam really into rc models, iam an active member of the P.R.A.M.S(Pine Rivers Aeronautical Model Society) down at Griffin just 5 minutes from Strathpine.
I haven't been out there in a little while as ive been very busy but iam on holidays soon and looking forward to flying a fair bit.
I have my bronze wings which is a certified rank to fly by myself without an instructor or buddybox link, ive had them for a year now and i hope to get my gold wings soon which enables me to fly at our annual airshow.

I learnt to fly at prams with the club instructors & realflight g3 whcih is an awesome simulator, i even spent a few hours learning basics of flying helis.

I use a JR 2610 6 channel radio which has done everything ive ever needed, it retails around $500 for the radio kit and it has plenty of model memories and does great mixing, and example of this is the differential aileron setup i have on my glider, the glider had ailerons elevators and I use another mixing function to enguage speed breaks which just throws up both ailerons vertical and kills all the lift this is very useful for landing in very small areas such as the side of a cliff.

I currently own a Sky Raider Trainer & a fibreglass 1.4m glider which i bought overseas.

The planes ive had in the passed include

Great Planes Slinger - died a tragic death with a lithium blew up

Great Planes Mini-Slinger - MIA, so small and fast it glitched one day and i still can't find it.

The slingers are great fun, can land very hard and no damage, they are a little difficult for any beginners, they are elevon mixing aircraft(aileron & elevators are the same control surfaces) and very twitchy.

RCM Trainer - my first trainer, met tragedy with a tree but i donated the fuse and what was left of the main wing and a mate from the club rebuilt his rcm trainer with the good bits on mine for his sun.

The sky raider goes really hard believe it or not, ive got a .46 thunder tigre pro in it with about 5 hours of flight on it so its well worn in and makes great power, you should see the tricks this thing can do(any other trainer would break its main wing), the sky rainder is a very strongly built plane and reccommend if you want to get into real planes and not the cheap electrics with only very basic control surfaces.

My next planes will be an indoor 3d , probably a mini "extra" which has all three control surfaces and are very big so they can prop hang and do knife edge flight very well. I also want to invest in an Align Trex 3d helicopter.

I often fly my glider at Mitchelton Soccer club which is next door to brookside shopping centre as the fields are huge and you get some good thermals over the creek.

have to meet up with u and take you to the club some time.

cya round
dave

Gday Dave, only just saw this reply now.

Flying is heaps of fun, its a real escape.

Have you got any pics of your planes /gear ?

dsmit376
19-12-2006, 10:41 PM
ahh not really any pics, i don't own a digital still camera, only a digital video camera, got some goot footage though.
I actually just purchased an F20 Tigreshark as kinda of a early christmas present for myself, its supposed to take a .46 but iam in the middle of retrofitting a .61 into this baby, should go hard the .61 is an OS MAX with tuned pipe and the plane only weighs 2.6kg fully loaded.
Have you bought any planes yourself yet?

Gday Dave, only just saw this reply now.

Flying is heaps of fun, its a real escape.

Have you got any pics of your planes /gear ?

dsmit376
15-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Here is a link to a video of my new Tigershark, great plane to fly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfWRSvRtQOo