PDA

View Full Version : Werribee Chrysler Jeep Dodge News

Jimmyb
12-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Hello and welcome to the December Werribee Chrysler Jeep Dodge e-news. It’s amazing to think that the year is almost over, but as they say – time flies when you’re having fun!

This month we take a look at where the name “Jeep” came from. It’s an interesting story, and it’s good to know that it happened naturally, over a long period of time.

Also this month we meet a long time Werribee Chrysler Jeep Dodge customer, Reg May. He and his wife Kath have had some great adventures, and we always love hearing about what they’ve been up to. On the topic of adventures, we also learn about the PT Cruisers Downunder club.

We’d like to wish you all a very merry Christmas and a safe new year from all the team at Werribee Chrysler Jeep Dodge, and we hope to see you soon.

Paul Hopper
Dealer Principal
JEEP SWEEPS AWARDS

JEEP WRANGLER RUBICON

The all-new 2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and Wrangler Unlimited, due for Australian launch in March 2007, have notched a trio of prestigious awards in the United States within two weeks, the latest recognition in Jeep Wrangler’s 65-year storied history. The models have been recognised with not one, but three of the most prestigious US awards in the automotive business.

4-Wheel & Off-Road magazine announced that the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon ranked highest among eight competitors for 4x4 of the Year, using a 1,000-mile (1,609 kilometres) test of each vehicle’s suspension, engine, transmission and transfer case. Consideration was also given to style and creature comforts. 2007 marked the magazine’s 25th annual evaluation for 4x4 of the Year. This was the 11th time that a Jeep vehicle has won the award.

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2007-jeep-rubicon.jpg

Four Wheeler magazine named the Wrangler Rubicon winner of the Four Wheeler of the Year award for 2007, beating a field of seven new sport-utility vehicles. Test criteria measured on and off-road performance, interior refinements, safety features and exterior fit and finish. The magazine’s Four Wheeler of the Year competition has been held annually since 1974.

The third award came from Popular Science magazine, who named the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, the four-door version of the Wrangler, as one of only 10 automotive winners in the “Best of What’s New” for 2007. Every year, Popular Science reviews thousands of new products and technologies, narrowing its focus to the 100 most impressive advancements in 10 categories, including gadgets, computing, engineering, recreation and automotive.

For more information on the Jeep range, including the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and Unlimited, contact Werribee Chrysler Jeep Dodge on
9742 6222 or visit our website.

WHATS IN A NAME?

There are many different ideas where the name “jeep” came from, and while some of them are highly amusing, most aren’t quite accurate.

Popular belief is that because the vehicle bore the designation “GP” (for “general purpose”) people just slurred the initials into the word Jeep. This is disputed, as they were never actually referred to as general purpose.

Many claim that the likelier origin refers to the character Eugene the Jeep in the Popeye comic strip. Eugene the Jeep was dog-like and could walk through walls and ceilings, climb trees, fly, and just about go anywhere it wanted; it is thought that soldiers at the time were so impressed with the new vehicle's versatility that they informally named it after the character.

http://www.ebusinessmedia.com.au/werribee_cjd/dec_06/ezine_11411/jeep2.jpg

The term "jeep" was first commonly used during World War I (1914-1918) by soldiers as a slang word for new recruits and for new unproven vehicles.

The term "jeep" would eventually be used as slang to refer to an airplane, a tractor used for hauling heavy equipment, and an autogyro. When the first models of the jeep came to Camp Holabird for tests, the vehicle did not have a name yet. Therefore the soldiers on the test project called it a jeep. Civilian engineers and test drivers who were at the camp during this time were not aware of the military slang term. They most likely were familiar with the character Eugene the Jeep and thought that Eugene was the origin of the name. The vehicle had many other nicknames at this time such as Peep and Pygmy and Blitz-Buggy, although because of the Eugene association, Jeep stuck in people's minds better than any other term.

Early in 1941, Willys-Overland demonstrated the vehicle's ability by having it drive up the U.S. Capitol steps, driven by Willy's test driver Irving "Red" Haussman, who had recently heard soldiers at Fort Holabird calling it a "jeep". When asked by reporter what it was called, Irving answered "It's a jeep."

This exposure caused all other jeep references to fade, leaving the 4x4 truck with the name. Willys-Overland Inc. was later awarded the sole privilege of owning the name "Jeep" as registered trademark, by extension, merely because it originally had offered the most powerful engine.

http://www.ebusinessmedia.com.au/werribee_cjd/dec_06/ezine_11411/voucher.gif

THE WHEEL DEAL

Reg and Kath May have driven everywhere, from freeways to some of the toughest terrain in the country. They’ve also spent the past 30 years behind the wheels of various Chryslers and Jeeps, so can be considered experts. Reg took the time out to share some of wisdom with our e-news readers.

When did you get your first Chrysler/Jeep?
I purchased an ex-lease Chrysler from Heidelberg Chrysler in 1974.

What was it?
A Chrysler by Chrysler luxury sedan. The TV adverts said it had more interior lights than the average 3 bedroom home.

What made your decision to buy it?
It had a 360-cubic inch motor and I wanted a big V8 for towing caravans. It was also air-conditioned and an auto. It was flash for its day!

How many Chrysler and Jeeps have you owned since then?
One Chrysler, two Neons, two PT Cruisers, one Hemi 300C, one Crossfire convertible, one XJ Cherokee diesel, one KJ Diesel, one Laredo WG 5 Cylinder Diesel, one WH V6 Diesel and two Commander V6 diesels.

Which was your favourite?
The 300C is the best car I’ve ever owned by a country mile. Of the Jeeps, the XJ was extremely manoeuvrable, the WH can almost be driven as a sports car and the Commanders are just so quiet and smooth. They’re well equipped and much better than any other 4WD I have driven.

What do you like most about the brand?
I have been described as an individual, and as such I like my cars to stand out from the crowd. The PT Cruiser was “Car of the year” almost everywhere, and has sold over 1,000,000 around the world. The 300C could never be mistaken for anything but a Chrysler and the Crossfire has a sensational front. All of these cars have the two most important cosmetic features to me - CHARACTER and a GRILL. Too many other companies are using shareware to design bland motor cars that all look the same.

The other reason I like the Jeep brand is I am involved in the caravan industry (Maywest Caravans in Old Geelong Rd, Hoppers Crossing), and I want diesels with high torque outputs at low revs for towing our large range of caravans. The current Jeep range has the highest torque output in the sub $100,000 range in Australia.

What do you like most about Werribee Chrysler Jeep?
The dealership comprises of staff who have looked after me from the first time I walked in 8 or 9 years ago and met Mark Grebert. The sales staff, the service staff and the guys and girls behind the scenes have been a pleasure to deal with. This is evident by the fact that I have purchased and serviced all my vehicles at Werribee Chrysler Jeep Dodge.

Any tips for owning a Chrysler/Jeep?
Drive each and every model, and find the one that best suits your needs. Some people want their vehicles just for commuting, some for off road and many for towing their caravans, boats or trailers. The safety, comfort, performance and equipment level of Jeeps have kept me with the brand, however I have owned a total of 20 4wd since I became involved in the scene in 1965.

In 1968 I became a 4wd instructor for the Australian Army after a 3 month full time course. I also ran a 4wd tour business (Lara Alpine Adventure Tours) for 12 years. Having owned and driven most other brands of 4wd’s on the market I now only buy and enjoy driving Jeeps from Werribee Chrysler.

Any tips for people who are looking at buying a Jeep?
I always try to buy new, as some people have never heard of vehicle sympathy and are hard on their vehicles, If buying used, buy from a Jeep dealer as they only keep vehicles which are workshop tested by Jeep trained technicians.