PDA

View Full Version : otway tracks

turbomart
16-12-2006, 06:57 PM
I'm heading up to the otways at christmas (from adelaide), was wondering if anyone knows of some good tracks up there of about medium difficulty.
I have a WJ with 4" lift & bfg muddies.

Tasar
16-12-2006, 07:43 PM
the back of Wye river/lorne and angelsea have some great tracks just make sure they are open (check 4wd vic website) or contact otways authorities

the area is a very high fire danger over summer

JEEPCHIK
28-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Behind Forest there is some really good tracks.Check out Noonday,Newcombe spur via
Thompsons road,and No.1 spur/West Barwon tracks.These are all great tracks but if you are 4wdring without another car or a winch and it rains you will be walking out.These tracks are not friendly with a bit of rain on them.No matter how good your tyres are they won't get you out of Noonday especially.If you go through the Aire valley, check out Hall road.This is another good track.Lots of big bogholes, but nothing too hard.Just watch out for the hills if they are wet.I can guarantee that you will go down the hill sideways.Lots of clay on this track and sometimes logging trucks.
If you are on Hall road, do not I repeat do not go driving down Clearwater/Redwater tracks.These tracks are for hardcore 4wheelers only, even when they are dry they can be more than challenging.Bottomless bogholes and steep yellow clay hills will stop even the most fully equiped of 4wdrives.In the past we have finally gotten out of tracks like these in the Otways after 12 hours of winching.

My best advise is, get a good map of the area from either Colac or Forest, and have a look around.On the weekends you can always find 4wdrivers at the Terminus Hotel in Forest and they are always great for track info.Have a great time down there.I come from Geelong and have been 4wdriving and camping in the Otways since I was a baby.I'm sure will find the kind of track your looking for.There are some spectacular water falls down there as well,if your the bushwalking type.

There is no good 4wdrive tracks around Cairns!

Lushy
01-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Old Wye River Track is a doozy - rutted, dry bog holes which are pretty deep and even without rain I found one very full bog hole, that made made me turn around as I was on my own and no winch. be very careful of the Tiger snakes they are everywhere! For those who may know the track the big log across the track has been cut up so you can know get around it. (just to prove I was there LOL.
Lushy

Wally3218
09-01-2007, 01:03 PM
Was checking out Anglesea Heath and the tracks today there dry as and just sandy and few rocky areas and very dry in wet lands.

Wally

Lushy
28-02-2007, 03:00 AM
Nice Photos where is the track with the power lines mate? :idea:

JEEPCHIK
28-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Looks like the powerlines behind Anglesea.I can't remember the name of the road you turn down to get to them,but it is on a long sweeping left hand corner.You will need to turn right onto the road.If you know how to get to Alardice and Cecil tracks,that's the road you need to take.If you follow the powerlines all the way through,they will bring you out onto Bald Hills road.

Wally3218
28-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Hi Lushy, heres part of the map I use its the transmission line track looking down from Forest Road it has a very steep dissent ( I have'nt tried going down or up yet)

Wally

JEEPCHIK
28-02-2007, 03:57 PM
That's it.Forest Rd.I could drive there blindfolded but could not remember the name of the road.Haven't been along that road for a 6 years.It's a really good powerlines track and yes that hill is very steep,but fun.Depending on how much you love your jeep of course.