PDA

View Full Version : Just waiting for my new JK wrangler

tae.h
27-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Hi guys,
i am new to this site.
i have ordered a black JK wrangler sport (renegade pack) and it will be in Aus by mid June.
The price i will be paying for it is $39k (drive-away).

I've chosen the petrol engine, because i was told to wait a long period of time for the CRD and it's a bit expensive as well.

But reading through opinions of others, i think i've made a mistake by choosing the petrol engine, if I am not buying a rubi. :wall:

Tasar
27-05-2007, 07:02 PM
change your order to a rubicon ..if you can

Diesel renegade
petrol rubicon

lucky to get a jeep that quick - if not in stock 6-10 weeks a minimum for an jeep not just wranglers - they are busy in most models

Bert
27-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Hi guys,
i am new to this site.
i have ordered a black JK wrangler sport (renegade pack) and it will be in Aus by mid June.
The price i will be paying for it is $39k (drive-away).

I've chosen the petrol engine, because i was told to wait a long period of time for the CRD and it's a bit expensive as well.

But reading through opinions of others, i think i've made a mistake by choosing the petrol engine, if I am not buying a rubi. :wall:

Hey, and welcome to the forum!

I've got the exact car that you have on order sitting in my garage (for the past 2 months) and was too was asking myself the same questions when my Jeep was on order. From my experience let me assure you the petrol engine is by no means underpowered! (if thats the overall impression that you were getting) ...I personally have never been in a situation where the engine felt underpowered (I have the manual tranny btw) I tested both manual and auto, manual felt alot better in my opinon, the power delivery felt alot more readily available.

I decided on the petrol over the diesel basically for the same reasons that you stated above; cost & availability... and the fact that most of my driving will be onroad. I havent looked back. The diesel is a fantastic engine but its $4000 bucks extra I can see it becoming superceded in the near future due to the great demand in the US for a diesel powerplant (just a thought). That 4 grand extra for the diesel could be spent better elsewhere for me!

My advice to you would be to test drive both diesel and petrol, and think about what you will be using the rig for etc. At the end of the day I'm sure you will be happy with whatever choice you make, know that I am!... Just my 2c's worth... :)

Hope this helps.

Brettski
27-05-2007, 10:03 PM
What he said... ;-)

I've got the Rubicon so the gearing is a bit different but I haven't been let down by the engine yet. On the dunes last weekend it was a rocket - will be trying it out on mud and rocks next month (when I get time).

Fuel economy in the petrol (which is why I'd go for the diesel) is good until you put the right boot in but you get that.

B.

Apollo
28-05-2007, 01:35 AM
Hello all my fist post in the JK forum,
I think i'm going to miss the KJ forum as we all ways had some wrong with the CRD's well mine any ways but loved every second of it!!!

Well I'm changing from a KJ to a JK i to have a Rubi unlimited on order. I to have been concerned by how much fuel it will be using we pay over a $ per litter that's US. But the CRD is about $ 7000 AU more and that's for the Sahara.

I would only go for the auto CRD as the manual is just to short on the gearing and you'll find your self revving it high quite a bit. Once you have driven a auto CRD as with my KJ you'll find it hard to drive any other CRD.
The Rubi don't come in a CRD and the V6 Rubi is the same price as the Sahara???

Brettski how is you fuel consumption? Don't mean to hijack thread tea.h! sorry ;)

Brettski
28-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Brettski how is you fuel consumption? Don't mean to hijack thread tea.h! sorry ;)
On long runs (110 km/h, 6th gear) I'm getting as low as 11 litres per 100 km. Around town I'm averaging 13. If I hammer it in the city or on the dunes it jumps to 16 or so. The car has only done 2,000 km so I'm expecting it to get slightly better but not much.

B.

bismark
28-05-2007, 01:28 PM
2 door Renegade CRD I’ have got 2200Km on the clock and fuel is cumming down to 10.4 l Highway and City driving with 70km Off road . Started of with 13 L/km but it seemed the motor is freeing up and is using less Liters=$$$$:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jkrenegade
28-05-2007, 03:27 PM
just got the call from the dealer saying my 2dr CRD is arriving to the dealer this week. A huge (pleasant) surprise since i only ordered it on the 18th april and was told that because it was a special order not to expect it until the end of july.

ya think im happy??

hell yes!!

as0l0
28-05-2007, 03:52 PM
good news for you! Congrats.

Apollo
28-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Thanks Brettski so if i take your consumption its no worse than my CRD auto KJ cherokee was. That's good news and not bad at all.

jkrenegade that's great news for a monday! congrats on that. :cool:

DCSA (south africa) cant even tell us if the Rubi will be hard and soft top or just soft at this time just hope they are rite about the delivery dates.

Brettski
28-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Thanks Brettski so if i take your consumption its no worse than my CRD auto KJ cherokee was. That's good news and not bad at all.
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with it. And despite the 3.8 having less torque low down than the old 4.0 it will still happily toodle along in 5th gear at 50 or 60 km/h.
DCSA (south africa) cant even tell us if the Rubi will be hard and soft top or just soft at this time just hope they are rite about the delivery dates.
I had the option of dual tops but if you don't specify you get just the soft-top which I wanted anyway... Hopefully you guys will get the same choices.

B.

Apollo
28-05-2007, 07:19 PM
You cant believe how our jeeps will differ in spec levels from yours. Take a 2007 Cherokee for instance it will come with the tow package and the full mopar H/D under body protection as well as a full maintenance contract for 3 years/ 100000km including wiper blades, brake pads and disks. We only pay for fuel and tiers??? Thats across the range. same goes for the wangler.

The new Wangler comes in duel top as standard across the range baring the sport but you can add it on. They just not sure if it will be standard on the Rubicon or a add on? :confused:

The new wangler JK has only been out for a week now and you dont see them on the road yet, so no one knows as of now. there are no Rubicons here yet, my one will be in the first shipment 3 to 4 weeks. :wall:

JKohn
28-05-2007, 07:29 PM
just got the call from the dealer saying my 2dr CRD is arriving to the dealer this week. A huge (pleasant) surprise since i only ordered it on the 18th april and was told that because it was a special order not to expect it until the end of july.

ya think im happy??

hell yes!!

I'm jealous!!!! Ordered 27th Dec....still waiting!!!!!

tae.h
29-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Thank You For All Of Your Opinions And Encouragement.

JasperJ
15-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Well, this thread has been quiet for a while and I got some news this morning from the dealer :( .

I ordered my JK (unlimited CRD manual) back in August, I knew that I would have to wait a while as I wanted a Detonator Yellow one. No problems DC say, I missed the August / September production run so it would be built on the Oct / Nov run for a Feb delivery.

Today I get a phone call from my dealer saying its now due to be built in Jan and delivered in March. :-( But the plus side is the 16" wheels have been discontinued for the Sport and all 08 JK's will come with the 17" wheels from the Rubi :D .

I know I could have had one earlier if I picked another colour or an Auto, I figure if you are going to buy a new vehicle you might as well make sure you get what you want as you will have it for a while (at least I will any way).

So how long have you all waited?

J.B.
16-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Well, this thread has been quiet for a while and I got some news this morning from the dealer :( .

I ordered my JK (unlimited CRD manual) back in August, I knew that I would have to wait a while as I wanted a Detonator Yellow one. No problems DC say, I missed the August / September production run so it would be built on the Oct / Nov run for a Feb delivery.

Today I get a phone call from my dealer saying its now due to be built in Jan and delivered in March. :-( But the plus side is the 16" wheels have been discontinued for the Sport and all 08 JK's will come with the 17" wheels from the Rubi :D .

I know I could have had one earlier if I picked another colour or an Auto, I figure if you are going to buy a new vehicle you might as well make sure you get what you want as you will have it for a while (at least I will any way).

So how long have you all waited?
... Detonator yellow hey... well.. you'll turn heads ..thats for sure. I'm not sure whether you're aware but it appears all the manuals (CRD) from the recent shipment... and any further shipments..will be supplied with a 3.21 diff ratio ! The original few shipments in the manuals were advertised and supplied as having 4.1 diffs . It appears Jeep U.S. have even dropped the 4.1 diff in all the models bar the Rubicon.... and now slotting in 3.73's as the highest ratio available on the Sahara & Sport... and the ratio specified if you go the 'Tow Group'...as they like to call it.. I for one... am a little dissappointed. It appears from others on the site...that 4.1...while allowing for some impressive crawl figures in low range... still puts the revs too high for general highway work and probably pushing economy figures down. I've test driven an Unlimited with 3.21's.. and while it's driveable on it's stock 255/75 R17's... fifth gear is marginal...and 6th is a waste of time. So much for the ultra low first gear for off road work...as it's been negated by the gearing. No 2nd gear take offs in this configuration ! The auto...strangely enough..is getting 3.73's ?? I would have thought if anything they would go the other way and allow the torque converter to compensate. I've fired off a few emails to D.C. Australia to see if 3.73's are an 'order option' on the manual. After all..if you plan on towing...you should be running 3.73's even according to Jeeps recommendations ! ...and I don't feel you should be forced to buy an auto. Still waiting on some feed back from D.C. I went through all this with the TJ and 3.07 gearing and while it's an achievable fix (at our expense mind you)...I don't think it should be necessary. Love the engine in the diesel ...but I just feel it's been badly compromised with this gearing set up. Just thought you might want to know...if you didn't already:confused: .

JasperJ
16-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks J.B.

I had seen this (ratio change) on the US forums but really didn't think anything of it at the time. Yes it would make sense that they are doing it for ours as well. To tell you the truth I didn't think to ask my dealer the other day about it. I will be interested to hear how you get on with those E-mails to DC and the outcome. Plus of course how much will this option will cost.
My dealer quoted me $750 :o for a towbar as well (thought it was a bit excessive) although he didn't mention any diff ratio change only the license plate relocation. (saw a MOPAR one for US$140 and 7pin cable for US$74)

J.B.
16-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Thanks J.B.

I had seen this (ratio change) on the US forums but really didn't think anything of it at the time. Yes it would make sense that they are doing it for ours as well. To tell you the truth I didn't think to ask my dealer the other day about it. I will be interested to hear how you get on with those E-mails to DC and the outcome. Plus of course how much will this option will cost.
My dealer quoted me $750 :o for a towbar as well (thought it was a bit excessive) although he didn't mention any diff ratio change only the license plate relocation. (saw a MOPAR one for US$140 and 7pin cable for US$74)

.. Well Jasper..if I hear any further from DC I'll post it here. In the mean time..it appears the info I just gave you, whilst correct for the current shipment of CRD manuals in the country... may be incorrect for '08 build models. Kalani I believe (see 2008 CRD JK..just recently posted) has received information that there will (hopefully) be an option to order 3.73 diffs, rear locker only and front sway bar disconnects on the CRD at least. I don't know yet whether this will apply to both manuals and automatics though. While I had hoped to order mine with 4.1 gears, this appears to no longer be an option.. although I'm led to believe that 3.73's isn't too bad a compromise though. Just to put your mind at ease...I'd clarify what ratio you're getting. As I've said elsewhere...if your local dealer is anything likes ours.. they appear to have little understanding of the whole 'ratio' thing. I maintain..whilst I only drove the car a short time...that 3.21's let the diesel down dramatically... Love to see some pics of the yellow monster when you take delivery... sort of like 'bumblebee'..out of the new Transformers movie. (ps. ...no I haven't grown up yet )